Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Other than prog, what other genres do you enjoy?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOther than prog, what other genres do you enjoy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Other than prog, what other genres do you enjoy?
    Posted: September 04 2016 at 15:14
I'm curious to know what other genres are popular among fans of prog. I enjoy shoegaze, sound art, and experimental music for the exploration of timbres. I like math rock and post-hardcore because I like complex rhythms and time signatures. The list goes on as I listen to a diverse palette of styles. What do you listen to besides prog and what appeals to you about it?
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 15:22
I like both genres - country and western!

Actually, I like classical, jazz, and fusion. Delving too deep into subgenres hurts my head.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 15:35
Southern rock is my calling. 

The Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Marshall Tucker Band are all top 10 artists for me (MTB is probably a top 5), and I'm also a fan of Molly Hatchet, Outlaws, Blackfoot and the Charlie Daniels Band. 

Any time I'm on the road for more than an hour or two, some southern rock will get played. It's the perfect road trip music, or just general travel music for that matter. I'm also keen on the collaborative playing that goes along with the genre. Most southern rock bands had 2 or 3 guitarists, and often piano, fiddle or flute/saxophone thrown into the mix, so there's plenty of interesting jamming potential and lots of seamless trade-off licks, which I love. 

I'm also a strong proponent for the idea that effective music should reflect the geography and culture of where the artists come from. I'm drawn towards prog that does this, whether it's some rustic and romantic RPI, some depressive and pensive English symphonic prog or lively and spirited Quebecois fusion. Southern rock is especially perfect for this, with the music and lyrics speaking true to the North American experience. I mean, it's hard not to get nostalgic when you put on Skynyrd's Tuesday's Gone with the autumn leaves falling around you, or the Allman Brothers' Blue Sky as the early morning sun shines over the country, or when you're driving out west and the Marshall Tucker Band's Fire On The Mountain paints romantic images of America's past and the determination and tribulation of the quest for gold. 

Southern rock, man. It's the stuff.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 15:55
Jazz (especially free and avant-garde) post-punk, noise rock, industrial, post/math rock, metal (especially funeral doom and drone), minimalism, experimental in general, ambient, no wave, psychedelia and krautrock, RIO, maybe a little world music...  Most of all I prefer music that doesn't feel constrained to a given genre. 

I'm open to anything that doesn't sound like Billboard dreck. I'm interested in one day exploring classical, hip-hop/rap, more contemporary electronic music, etc but I've got plenty of time. 
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 15:56
These are divided up in an idiosyncratic way that's not supposed to make logical sense to anyone else, but I collect all of the following equally. They're divided up the way the are based on my collecting interests.  I simply copied the list I use for collecting purposes.  Also, some of the genre names are what they are because they're the names used on rym, for example--it makes it easier for me to find the stuff I'm interested in:

afro-cuban jazz
ambient/
drone/noise
art pop/
sophistipop/zolo
avant prog/
RIO/zeuhl
bluegrass
blues
blues rock/boogie rock
Broadway/showtunes
bubblegum/teen pop/Radio Disney artists/top of Billboard charts
comedy stand-up/comedy music
country/western
country rock/Americana
dance/disco

experimental
folk/singer-songwriter
funk
fusion
gospel
hard rock
hip-hop
jazz
latin
metal
modern classical
nu metal/groove metal/funk metal/rap metal/rap rock
pop
pre-baroque classical
pre-rock pop (pre 1956)/pre-British Invasion rock (through 1963)
progressive rock
punk
psychedelic rock/psychedelic pop
R&B

reggae/dub
rock
soft rock/yacht rock
soul
southern rock
western classical  music
world music
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 16:14
Other than prog...I guess if I had to choice, maybe alternative. I also enjoy regular normal rock music on occasion. I only enjoy dance if I'm dancing with friends or something like that...but really, prog is my only liking. Most other genres of music I like have some prog related movements, and it's not often that I find a prog song I don't enjoy.
User Banned for this Post
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 16:16
According to the definitions on this site, Math Rock and Post Rock are subgenres of Prog, so I won't list these.

I have a lot of experimental avantgarde music (electronic or not) that is not filed under Prog. Also I listen to some 80s post punk. And then there's stuff scattered over many genres that I like, be it jazz, classical and modern classical, some singer/songwriter, some classic rock, some world music, some arty and not so arty pop music...  

Edited by Lewian - September 04 2016 at 16:17
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 16:17
Classical music in a big way; The Symphony (I started a thread on the subject) is my main musical enjoyment; also piano music-sonatas and concertos.
           To paraphrase the late great conductor Bruno Walter, "I could not live my life without Bruckner and Mahler".
Nicky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 17:09
Other than prog, mainly psychedelic rock and doom metal.
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 19:01
Desert rock, a lot of the paisley underground bands, chanson (mostly 60s and early 70s), Bakersfield country, almost everything that came out of Laurel Canyon, lots of traditional folk songs especially from North and South America, 70s and 80s girl bands, and whatever R.E.M. was considered.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 19:24
All the way back to the sixties I've been into guitar driven, blues based hard rock. I listened a lot to bands like The Animals, Them, Hendrix, The Jeff Beck Group and Cream.
In the seventies I discovered Jazz Rock Fusion when Jeff Beck and Tommy Bolin guested on several albums.
In the Metal days it was Ozzie solo albums, Metallica, Megadeth and Testament. 
When I joined PA a couple of years ago I revisited a lot of seventies Prog and then discovered RPI and several similar Spanish language bands.
I guess I went back to my roots when I found Desert Rock / Psych Rock / Stoner Rock and that's where I'm at right now.
I didn't leave anything behind because I can grab an album from any genre I mentioned and enjoy it as much as I ever did.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 20:55
I guess I could say rock in general. Within rock, my favourite is prog rock, and then I guess comes metal... and after that hard rock and pop. Of course, it depends also on the songs themselves.
LostWaxMuseum View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 21:09
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Southern rock is my calling. 

The Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Marshall Tucker Band are all top 10 artists for me (MTB is probably a top 5), and I'm also a fan of Molly Hatchet, Outlaws, Blackfoot and the Charlie Daniels Band. 

Any time I'm on the road for more than an hour or two, some southern rock will get played. It's the perfect road trip music, or just general travel music for that matter. I'm also keen on the collaborative playing that goes along with the genre. Most southern rock bands had 2 or 3 guitarists, and often piano, fiddle or flute/saxophone thrown into the mix, so there's plenty of interesting jamming potential and lots of seamless trade-off licks, which I love. 

I'm also a strong proponent for the idea that effective music should reflect the geography and culture of where the artists come from. I'm drawn towards prog that does this, whether it's some rustic and romantic RPI, some depressive and pensive English symphonic prog or lively and spirited Quebecois fusion. Southern rock is especially perfect for this, with the music and lyrics speaking true to the North American experience. I mean, it's hard not to get nostalgic when you put on Skynyrd's Tuesday's Gone with the autumn leaves falling around you, or the Allman Brothers' Blue Sky as the early morning sun shines over the country, or when you're driving out west and the Marshall Tucker Band's Fire On The Mountain paints romantic images of America's past and the determination and tribulation of the quest for gold. 

Southern rock, man. It's the stuff.

I'm a big fan of the Allman Brothers Band, myself.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 21:12
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

I like both genres - country and western!

Actually, I like classical, jazz, and fusion. Delving too deep into subgenres hurts my head.

That's my favorite line from the Blues Brothers! I'm guessing many prog fans enjoy classical and jazz and I've always felt fusion was like prog with a lot more improvisation.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 21:20
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Jazz (especially free and avant-garde) post-punk, noise rock, industrial, post/math rock, metal (especially funeral doom and drone), minimalism, experimental in general, ambient, no wave, psychedelia and krautrock, RIO, maybe a little world music...  Most of all I prefer music that doesn't feel constrained to a given genre. 

I'm open to anything that doesn't sound like Billboard dreck. I'm interested in one day exploring classical, hip-hop/rap, more contemporary electronic music, etc but I've got plenty of time. 

I love industrial music, too. Especially Einsturzende Neubauten, Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle, Test Dept., and Missing Foundation.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 21:32
Jazz & the avant-garde mainly. Classical as well but I've spent very little time exploring it beyond the obvious choices.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 21:53
I like all kinds of music; and mean all, no holds barred whatsoever. My interests change month to month, week to week, day to day. Sometimes I'm obsessed with a single artist or album, sometimes a genre or period. Sometimes two or more things will serve as parallels, sometimes I'm not focused on anything in particular at all.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 22:24
Silence.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 00:13
I'm liking select Extreme/Tech over the last couple years, but mostly, a bit of (good) New-Wave and whatever you'd class Bruce Cockburn as............just BRILLIANT !!
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 01:40
I really like all music, from pure pop (new wave, synthpop) to experimental (jazz, fusion).
Sometimes I prefer instrumental music (jazz, classical, new age, ambient, trance) and sometimes more vocal albums (AOR, pop, melodic rock).

I love worldmusic, soul, R&B, hip-hop, acidjazz, nu-jazz, jazzfunk aswell.

I do tend to dislike nu-metal, gabberhouse, gothic metal, black metal, euro house, bubblegum pop, extreme/tech, noise.

When I'm in the mood, I have no problems with harder genres like stoner rock/metal, progressive metal, thrash, punk, hardcore.

The last few years I noticed my love for modern indiepop and indierock and 80's new wave and synthpop. It's no coincidence that the 80's is back in most modern music.

I forgot to mention I also like psychedelic music: psybient, spacerock, psytrance, stonerrock.

I hate songs like: Mambo number 5, Who let the Dogs Out, No Limits, Valerie

I also (sometimes) have a need for singer/songwriter, country, bluegrass, blues, etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>