Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Other than prog, what other genres do you enjoy?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOther than prog, what other genres do you enjoy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 01:44
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Southern rock is my calling. 

The Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Marshall Tucker Band are all top 10 artists for me (MTB is probably a top 5), and I'm also a fan of Molly Hatchet, Outlaws, Blackfoot and the Charlie Daniels Band. 

Any time I'm on the road for more than an hour or two, some southern rock will get played. It's the perfect road trip music, or just general travel music for that matter. I'm also keen on the collaborative playing that goes along with the genre. Most southern rock bands had 2 or 3 guitarists, and often piano, fiddle or flute/saxophone thrown into the mix, so there's plenty of interesting jamming potential and lots of seamless trade-off licks, which I love. 

I'm also a strong proponent for the idea that effective music should reflect the geography and culture of where the artists come from. I'm drawn towards prog that does this, whether it's some rustic and romantic RPI, some depressive and pensive English symphonic prog or lively and spirited Quebecois fusion. Southern rock is especially perfect for this, with the music and lyrics speaking true to the North American experience. I mean, it's hard not to get nostalgic when you put on Skynyrd's Tuesday's Gone with the autumn leaves falling around you, or the Allman Brothers' Blue Sky as the early morning sun shines over the country, or when you're driving out west and the Marshall Tucker Band's Fire On The Mountain paints romantic images of America's past and the determination and tribulation of the quest for gold. 

Southern rock, man. It's the stuff.

Some Southern rock bands are really progressive.
I love Allman Brothers Band's High Falls (14 minutes) or Charlie Daniels Band / Marshall Tucker Band (love the flute).

Also Gov't Mule is really progressive. Should be on the website.

Molly Hatchet is too blue collar for my taste.

Edited by Kingsnake - September 05 2016 at 04:07
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 01:53
As a total music geek who wants to know about everything and font the best in any given genre - it would be easier to list the genres I can't seem to enjoy. 

But the largest amount of time listening to music outside of PA-stuff is probably spent on: 

1. jazz recorded sometime in between 1958-1975 - Post Bop/Free/Avantgarde/Spiritual/Oriental/Fusion...
2. Classical music mainly from Baroque to 20th century classical/avantgarde music. Or from Monterverdi to Scelsi.
3. The terrible term "world music" & folk music + exotica
4. mid eighties to early nineties thrash & death metal
5. Soul/Funk of the late 60's-early 70's
6. New wave/Post punk/Synthpop. 
7. French Ye-ye, beat pop & innocent, baroque pop/pop-psych from around the world

+ not genre spesific but I especially love italian Soundtracks and Libraries ca. 1965-1985.
& also have a soft spot for 78RPM's and do listen to a lot of 30's jazz, early popular music + cuban & gypsy tunes, and tango's etc... thanks to that. 

- Funnily Southern Rock, Desert Rock, Indie, Drone which seem to be quite the thing for other PA-members does very little for me. 

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 03:01
classical music, and especially Johann Sebastian Bach. one of my other favorites is Carlo Gesualdo
ethnic music
jazz
late 60s /  early 70s rock

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 03:07
Kajagoogoo seem to fit the bill for me, and not just for Beggs' bass virtuosity .......(and I generally HATE commercial pop music..........)
Gamera View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 03:26
Mostly Detroit techno, and a little bit of deep house and progressive house.

This might be the only things I actually enjoy besides everything I listen to which is related to prog.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 03:58
I like hard-rock/heavy-metal from the end of the 60's to Year 2000. I've got 150 vinyles, 300 CDs and 50 cassettes of that genre.
I also enjoy classic rock, classical music and jazz. Smile
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 03:59
Originally posted by Gamera Gamera wrote:

This might be the only things I actually enjoy besides everything I listen to which is related to prog.

I like a fair amount of house and techno too. Detroit was a good hub for that in the 90's; Jeff Mills, Derrick May et al... I'm out of touch with it now, and I'm too old to "rave"

Apart from that, I listen to whatever sounds good to my ears. Anything from Metal to Indie to electronica. I like classical music and I can cope with jazz and folk in small does.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 07:09
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

The terrible term "world music"
I love the term "world music," actually, at least as long as it's understood in the way that libraries understand it.  No other term I've encountered comes close to capturing what "world music" lumps together.  When "world music" is avoided, what tends to happen if you love and want to regularly search for world music is that either (a) you've got to instead start searching for hundreds of very specific genres, like "Tuvan throat singing," "Balinese gamelan music," "sacred harp singing," "Benzele pygymy music" etc., which is obviously a pain in the rear end--not to mention that then you tend to miss stuff that you weren't previously familiar with, or (b) you keep running into a bunch of "pure" pop, metal, jazz etc. from other countries instead, which obviously isn't what you're looking for when you're looking for world music.

The misconceived complaint is that it's purely a "marginalizing" term.  That complaint is misconceived because it ignores that there's world music from every country--like sacred harp singing, prison work songs, Appalachian folk music, Sioux Indian music, etc. from the US, for example.  That's all world music.

The misconception on the other side is that "world music" must then refer to all music.  It doesn't.  It refers to musics with folk roots (in the broader, anthropological sense of "folk") that had and continues to have a strong regional tie, because it's not something that "caught on" and propagated around the world as a type of pop music (again in a broad sense of the term "pop"), and by extension, it also refers to music that blends those regional folk musics with more contemporary pop musics.  The latter is sometimes called "world fusion," although some people--including me--prefer to use "world fusion" for music that's more or less like jazz-fusion with world music influences.

We could use another term like "indigenous musics" or something instead, but the problem is that no particular term is popular enough on that end yet to be useful for those of us who regularly search for albums in the category.

Edited by Terrapin Station - September 05 2016 at 08:03
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 08:19
At that point of the thread, nobody is probably reading it, but oh well.
I am very big into jazz. And I mean jazz in general. My favorite genres are the broadly-defined post-bop. Charles Mingus' Mingus at Carnegie Hall is my favorite jazz album of all time. I love free jazz of Peter Brötzmann, Ornette Coleman, later 'Trane, Albert Ayler! Also really like cool jazz and hard-bop guitarists Wes Montgomery and Grant Green. Love jazz-fusion of Chick Corea, Scott Henderson (whom I saw live this year), and Keith Jarrett! Love jazz!

Another musical interest is classical music. I generally like romantic, post-romantic, and avant-classical. My favorite composers are Olivier Messiaen, Arnold Schoenberg, Igor Stravinsky, Bela Bartok, Dmitri Shostakovich, but also romantics: Chopin, Rimsky-Korsakov, Szymanowski, Dvorak.... And avant-garde composers such as Stockhausen, Cage, and the minimalist big three: Terry Riley, Steve Reich, and Philip Glass (whom I had an amazing pleasure of handing flowers to when I was a little kid).

I used to be, but still love, blues-rock, English blues-rock especially. Early Climax Blues Band, Steamhammer, Cream - love these bands still.

Recently, I'm big into improv and the so-called avant-scene of the eighties and nineties. Love Fred Frith's works, but also love John Zorn, Bill Laswell, some of the things Bill Frisell does.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 09:11
Lately I've been trying to listen to as much 40-50s music/radio as I can.  It makes me feel good when not much else does. 

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 09:40
Blues and blues-rock mainly as of late, filling out my collections of Rory Gallagher, Lightnin' Hopkins, Mississippi John Hurt and Howlin' Wolf catalogs. I also recently purchased John Coltrane's A Love Supreme and Charles Mingus' Mingus Ah Um.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 10:27
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

The terrible term "world music"
I love the term "world music," actually, at least as long as it's understood in the way that libraries understand it.  No other term I've encountered comes close to capturing what "world music" lumps together. 
(I didn't quote all but read all) You love the term; good for you. I should have written useless or lazy rather than terrible. To me its more like "foreign films" - too broad and well slightly ignorant. But I lazily still chose to use it myself although I could have been much more genre specific. It isn't necessarily the elastic, hybrid, global music fusion part of the term that interests me. More often than not I'd rather have no tuba in my indian ragas please leave your didgeridoo out of tibetanian chants. 

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 10:40
Eurodance and Turkish military marches.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 11:00
The older I get the less inclined I am to say that I like music of a particular genre because the more of it I hear the less I tend to like. For example I've listened to Progressive Rock since it was invented yet if I were to list all the Prog Bands I like against all those I don't then the latter list would be far longer, similarly there is more Metal that I dislike than like, more Gothic Rock I cannot stand than adore and more Electronic Music that leaves me unmoved than moved - yet I would have cited all four genres as favourites of mine at one time or other. And this is a good thing because if nothing else it's cured me of "completistism" - I no longer need to buy the complete discographies of all the bands I really like and similarly I don't feel compelled to soak up every artist who tags themselves as a genre I like so can spend all that money pursuing something else instead and have fewer played-once albums in my collection. Ironically, it was Amazon's unsolicited "People who bought _____ also bought..." recommendations that tipped the balance because their leaping-to-an-erroneous-assumption algorithm invariable suggests albums and artists I wouldn't touch with a barge-pole, now more often than not I see Amazon's recommendations as a list of things to avoid [for example: Joe Bonamassa, Cream, Graham Parker, Eric Clapton, JJ Cale, The Ramones and frickin' Chicago (ffs) - I detest all those artists, they bore the pants off me (apologies to those who like any of it, each to their own, it's a free country and no one's perfect)... why? just because I happen to have bought a couple of Jeff Beck albums in the past 20 years? bleugh].

So.. I like some of just about everything that can loosely be called Rock and/or Metal (unless it comes from America and isn't Heart, Savatage, NIN or Neurosis), but that's as far as it goes. Big smile

Edited by Dean - September 05 2016 at 11:02
What?
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 12:37
I like at least some things from pretty much every genre of music I've encountered. It's not really about genres for me, just the constant search for new music that fascinates, wherever it might be found.

That said my main musical passion - other than broadly defined progressive rock music - is jazz, which I've been soaking up for about thirty years now, almost as long as I've had any serious interest in music. Again there is stuff from pretty much every era and style of jazz that I love, but the core of my jazz listening is from the fifties to the present and very much including free jazz and improv.
LostWaxMuseum View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 21:29
I'm glad to see some prog fans enjoy avant garde stuff, too.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 21:32

As a total music geek who wants to know about everything and font the best in any given genre - it would be easier to list the genres I can't seem to enjoy. 

But the largest amount of time listening to music outside of PA-stuff is probably spent on: 

1. jazz recorded sometime in between 1958-1975 - Post Bop/Free/Avantgarde/Spiritual/Oriental/Fusion...
2. Classical music mainly from Baroque to 20th century classical/avantgarde music. Or from Monterverdi to Scelsi.
3. The terrible term "world music" & folk music + exotica
4. mid eighties to early nineties thrash & death metal
5. Soul/Funk of the late 60's-early 70's
6. New wave/Post punk/Synthpop. 
7. French Ye-ye, beat pop & innocent, baroque pop/pop-psych from around the world

+ not genre spesific but I especially love italian Soundtracks and Libraries ca. 1965-1985.
& also have a soft spot for 78RPM's and do listen to a lot of 30's jazz, early popular music + cuban & gypsy tunes, and tango's etc... thanks to that. 

- Funnily Southern Rock, Desert Rock, Indie, Drone which seem to be quite the thing for other PA-members does very little for me. 

That is both a diverse, and very specific set there, and I like a lot of that as well as some of your dislikes, too.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 21:35
Originally posted by Gamera Gamera wrote:

Are you familiar with Ozric Tentacles? I always thought they did a pretty good job of blending house/techno with prog. Prog you can rave to.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 21:40
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The older I get the less inclined I am to say that I like music of a particular genre because the more of it I hear the less I tend to like. For example I've listened to Progressive Rock since it was invented yet if I were to list all the Prog Bands I like against all those I don't then the latter list would be far longer, similarly there is more Metal that I dislike than like, more Gothic Rock I cannot stand than adore and more Electronic Music that leaves me unmoved than moved - yet I would have cited all four genres as favourites of mine at one time or other. And this is a good thing because if nothing else it's cured me of "completistism" - I no longer need to buy the complete discographies of all the bands I really like and similarly I don't feel compelled to soak up every artist who tags themselves as a genre I like so can spend all that money pursuing something else instead and have fewer played-once albums in my collection. Ironically, it was Amazon's unsolicited "People who bought _____ also bought..." recommendations that tipped the balance because their leaping-to-an-erroneous-assumption algorithm invariable suggests albums and artists I wouldn't touch with a barge-pole, now more often than not I see Amazon's recommendations as a list of things to avoid [for example: Joe Bonamassa, Cream, Graham Parker, Eric Clapton, JJ Cale, The Ramones and frickin' Chicago (ffs) - I detest all those artists, they bore the pants off me (apologies to those who like any of it, each to their own, it's a free country and no one's perfect)... why? just because I happen to have bought a couple of Jeff Beck albums in the past 20 years? bleugh].

So.. I like some of just about everything that can loosely be called Rock and/or Metal (unless it comes from America and isn't Heart, Savatage, NIN or Neurosis), but that's as far as it goes. Big smile

I have a lot of tepid follow-ups to great albums in my collection I've been meaning to let go of, myself.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 21:43
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Classical music in a big way; The Symphony (I started a thread on the subject) is my main musical enjoyment; also piano music-sonatas and concertos.
           To paraphrase the late great conductor Bruno Walter, "I could not live my life without Bruckner and Mahler".

Do you like Satie? When it comes to piano music, there's something about Satie' s work that really takes me somewhere else.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>