Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPropaganda for Prog-Related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propaganda for Prog-Related
    Posted: September 22 2016 at 02:30
Propaganda were a synthpop / new wave band with a progressive style. Especially on their debut album (produced by Trevor Horn) they had few songs about 10 minutes.
They used a variety of instruments; synths, drums, saxophone, guitar, bass.
They had two female vocalists, and intelligent lyrics.

The music is very progressive to say the least, pushing the boundaries of pop and electronic music, incoporating jazzy solo's on guitar, sax and synths, and avant garde and classical influences. They experiment a lot with synths, drums, arrangments, compositions etc.

They released one critically acclaimed album The Secret Wish, a few remix albums/reissues. And eventually another album called 1234. Especially the first album is a progressive masterpiece.

On the debutalbum the following musicians contributed: Steve Howe, Ian Mosley, Trevor Horn, Andrew Richards, David Sylvian, who are established progrock musicians.

here are a few videos:

Edited by Kingsnake - September 26 2016 at 08:48
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 04:03
Live they even added Derek Forbes (Simple Minds) on bass and Steve Jansen (Japan) on drums.
Again two great progressive musicians involved.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 09:08
Hi there Kingsnake

I think we have two very different understandings of what prog rock is Sorry dude but this is the second time you suggest, what to me personally sounds like, an obvious synth pop act to a progressive rock site.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 09:22
I don't think that prog credentials are enhanced by the collaboration of prog musicians. If SW, David Gilmour, Robert Fripp, Neil Peart and Rick Wakeman ever assist Dr Dre on his forthcoming hip hop album, the album is still hip hop and it won't turn Dr Dre into a prog musician.

Such arguments may be used to suggest Kajagoogoo for Proto-Prog because one of its members grew to become one of the greatest bass players that the progressive rock scene has ever known Tongue.

Edited by someone_else - September 22 2016 at 09:23
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 10:30
I guess I'm very into the new wave/synthpop thing. I guess that genre is more progressive than progressive rock sometimes is. LOL

I like Marillion, IQ etc, but I find those bands rather bland and not progressive at all. They just re-chew the old formula of Yes and Genesis.

There was a lot going on in the new wave, blame it on Trevor Horn Wink

I find that when heavy metal bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica, are on this site, maybe at least some new wave/synthpop bands, that really went all the way in exploring sounds and technology, deserve a chance to be on the site.

On the other hand, if there's one that progressive (conservative) rock-enthousiasts hate, it's gotta be new wave/synthpop Embarrassed

I'll just keep trying and you'll just keep shooting them down.
Maybe one day, bands like Kajagoogoo, New Order, Rupert Hine, Propaganda, Art of Noise, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, etc. have their own chapter on this site
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 11:02
Ah, someone is falling into the noun vs. adjective trap. You need to watch for that, it's a doozy.

The surest way to look at it is like this: if you think you've found a well known band that somehow in the 13 years existence of this site that we (being the 100+ collaborators and 1000s of ordinary members) have carelessly overlooked then there are two possible explanations: 1) we thought of it and rejected it or 2) you're wrong.

What?
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 11:20
If I look it at that way, then the whole option of nominating bands seems redundant. Wink

Anyway, I like to listen to progressive music, regardless whether it's progressive rock or not.
And maybe, just maybe, someone, somehow, someday will back me up on an act I try to get through.

I heard some users say they liked my nomination of My Brightest Diamond.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 12:27
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

If I look it at that way, then the whole option of nominating bands seems redundant. Wink
For old bands it probably is. For very old bands definitely it is. For any band that has never been considered to Progressive Rock or who has never been associated with Progressive Rock it most definitely is. Tongue

Anyway, I like to listen to progressive music, regardless whether it's progressive rock or not.
We all do. However this is a Progressive Rock archive not an archive of progressive music.

And maybe, just maybe, someone, somehow, someday will back me up on an act I try to get through.
Or not.

So what? Do they fit any of the criteria I listed above?

What?
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 15:29
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Neither 1 or 2. It's a rather new act and I don't think I'm wrong....
But that's a whole other thread.

As for Propaganda. I always thought my view on progressive rock differed. When I enlisted to this website in 2006, there weren't as many subgenres as today.
Nowadays, terrific acts like Journey, Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Santana, etc, inhabit the extensive website.

Maybe, just maybe, I thought we could bridge over to new wave. A lot of progressive rockbands were inspired by new wave: Rush, Saga, King Crimson, Yes, Twelfth Night, IQ, Porcupine Tree, etc.

I don't know if Japan is on the website yet, but that's supposed to be a new wave act aswell. And the keyboardist is currently the keyboardist in Porcupine Tree.
Adrian Belew came from Talking Heads and gave King Crimson a most needed boost.

Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes were in the Bugles and later on in Yes and Asia.
Pat Mastolotto played in Cock Robin and Mr. Mister and later became a core member of King Crimson.

So the ties to progressive rock are there. Evenso, the musicians in new wave are mostly very gifted, and as far as I learned from music history, it was new wave (and the use of synths) that gave progressive rock a new boost.

But I guess, I'm wrong, as stated before.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 17:14

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Neither 1 or 2. It's a rather new act and I don't think I'm wrong....
But that's a whole other thread.
Yes - correct on three counts - they are new, you don't think you're wrong and that's for the other thread.

However, your brag here was not relevant.
As for Propaganda. I always thought my view on progressive rock differed. When I enlisted to this website in 2006, there weren't as many subgenres as today.
We have the same number, they are just classified differently - we now have three progressive metal subgenres but they're still progressive metal and we have three art rock subgenres but they're still art rock.
Nowadays, terrific acts like Journey, Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Santana, etc, inhabit the extensive website.
Journey is Prog Related and the rest are all Jazz Rock/Fusion, and those two subgenre were here when you joined, so whatever your point is it doesn't apply to Synthpop bands.
Maybe, just maybe, I thought we could bridge over to new wave.
If we ever wanted to do that (which we don't) then there are dozens of New Wave bands that would be added here before Propaganda, and we've rejected most of those already.
A lot of progressive rockbands were inspired by new wave: Rush, Saga, King Crimson, Yes, Twelfth Night, IQ, Porcupine Tree, etc.
And a lot of progressive rock bands were inspired by Bach and Stravinsky but we're not going to start adding classical composers here.
I don't know if Japan is on the website yet, but that's supposed to be a new wave act aswell. And the keyboardist is currently the keyboardist in Porcupine Tree.
I don't know if you've noticed this but Japan are in Prog Related in 2007 - obviously they sneaked in without any fanfare or outcry so you probably didn't notice it. I remember this well because I was one of the team members who voted them in. [so if you think you are discussing this with someone who has no knowledge or interest in the new wave, post punk and synthpop music of the early 80s and is blocking this "just because" then think again].

Aside from Barbeiri; Steve Jansen also appears here with Steve Wilson on an No-Man album and on solo albums by Tim Bowness and Steve Hogarth, he is also here on solo albums by his brother David and with all the other members of Japan in various projects including the one-off reunion they had as Rain Tree Crow; and of course Mick Karn worked with many prog artists and appears on numerous albums. HOWEVER - all of that is irrelevant - it's not how we add artists here.
Adrian Belew came from Talking Heads and gave King Crimson a most needed boost.
Your knowledge is unstounding - Belew worked with Zappa for a year and Bowie on Lodger before guesting with Talking Heads. But none of that is relevant.
Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes were in the Bugles and later on in Yes and Asia.
But that's no reason to add The Buggles. Not that it's relevant.
Pat Mastolotto played in Cock Robin and Mr. Mister and later became a core member of King Crimson.
You are being selective on Mastelotto's credentials here - he was basically a jobbing sessions drummer before joining Crimson. But that isn't relevant either.
So the ties to progressive rock are there.
Ties with music in general are there. But none of it is relevant.
Evenso, the musicians in new wave are mostly very gifted, and as far as I learned from music history, it was new wave (and the use of synths) that gave progressive rock a new boost.
In what way? I have some knowledge of music history - entertain me.
But I guess, I'm wrong, as stated before.
There is no right and wrong but there is relevant and irrelevant. Th
What?
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2016 at 02:02
If you don't mind, I would like to close the discussion. It gives me a very bad feeling.
I had all the good intentions.

Good day to you, sir.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2016 at 03:44
I have no bad intentions, merely pointing out how your reasoning has no relevance here.

peace out.
What?
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2016 at 05:43
I LOOOOOVE Propaganda, but do not think they would be adequate for induction into Crossover Prog. Being "progressive" (which I would argue they were, just like, let's say, Tears For Fears), doesn't necessarily equate with "progressive rock".

HOWEVER

I actually find them a band of interest for the average prog listener (a few notches above your normal post-punk/synth-pop group), and helped by their abovementioned connections, I would not be opposed to seeing them added them Prog-Related. 

Edited by Kotro - September 23 2016 at 05:44
Bigger on the inside.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 08:48
Shall I, then, change the suggestion to prog-related?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 13:55

Shall I, then, change the suggestion to prog-related?

You can, but, in all honesty, no hope, old chap.

To get accepted into the site as prog-related, you will need to find a sponsor from the SC/Admin class of collaborators, who, if they accept it (highly doubtful), will then take it to the private zone on the forum where they discuss such issues, and then come back to you with their rejection - erm, sorry, considered opinion.

Prog-related is a bit of a contentious issue around these parts, on account of piles of them being added back in the days of yore that many felt had no place here at all. Indeed, some cynical people even suggested that such acts had been included merely to add traffic to the site, and, thus, income. Shocking, eh?

As a result, the volunteers who run the show have, rightly, tightened up an awful lot of what, precisely, prog-related is, and, more to the point, why an act, who, by definition are not prog rock, are so important as to merit a special inclusion.

Propaganda might well be a good band, with some progressive tendencies in parts. They will, though, never be accepted for inclusion on this site, and, word to the wise, you are not only flogging a dead horse here, but risking a reputational issue on the forum by doing so.

Best left alone, methinks
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 07:26
Personally I wouldn't have picked up bands like Japan, Talk Talk and Tears for Fears, too. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 07:30
^ wait, Tears for Fears is on PA?! (just checked, they're not)
At least Talk Talk have 2 progressive albums in their discography (last two)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 07:38
I thought they were...probably they have been suggested once. I haven't listened to the Talk Talk albums considered progressive so I can't say. 
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 08:14
I was already done with this topic. I know the emotions now, and I'm okay with it.

I hope I didn't cause too much trouble in this case.

NB Tears for Fears are one of my favorite bands of all time, but I wouldn't dare recommend them.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 08:20

I was already done with this topic. I know the emotions now, and I'm okay with it.

I hope I didn't cause too much trouble in this case.

NB Tears for Fears are one of my favorite bands of all time, but I wouldn't dare recommend them.
Suggesting is not bad. The worst thing that can happen is a "no". I don't consider it a trouble.
I liked Seeds of Love and some spare songs here and there. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>