Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Moody Blues appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 22:47
Thanks guys, I'm going to dig into them a bit on YT when I have a chance.   Thumbs Up

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 23:38
For me nothing compares to Days. But I learned to like Children ... Cheesy sometimes, but all in all an excellent album. Thumbs Up
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 06:11
The final three of the 'magnificent seven' are more rock based. They have a more raw feel, a 'live' feel.
What I mean to say, is that the songs are more suitable to play live on stage, less instruments used, etc.

The 'rockiest' songs they recorded are on those three albums (Every Good Boy Deserves Favour, Question of Balance and my favorite The Seventh Sojourn).

When you listen closely to the Moodies, you notice a lot of tempo- and stylistic chances within songs. If that isn't progressive, I wouldn't know what is.

True, they have the tendency for piano- and acoustic guitar balladry, but hey; they are just a bunch of melancholy men.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 06:24
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Thanks guys, I'm going to dig into them a bit on YT when I have a chance.   Thumbs Up

it will time well spent Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 02:05
I'm not a big fan of compilation albums, especially when a band is concept based.
But The Moodies have one of the best compilation albums ever made.
The even managed to let songs flow into eachother wich are from totally different albums.
Wich makes this compilation an entity of its own. I can't even imagine no-one like this album.
Enjoy it here:

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 11:36
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

I'm not a big fan of compilation albums, especially when a band is concept based.
The even managed to let songs flow into eachother wich are from totally different albums.
Wich makes this compilation an entity of its own. I can't even imagine no-one like this album.
Enjoy it here:

I had that one on LP back in the day.  It was remarkable how well songs from unrelated albums were juxtaposed together.  It even has one of Pinders' best songs, "A Simple Game", which was never released on an original LP.  However,to me a not insignificant flaw is that EGBDF is only represented by one song, "Story in your eyes".  For several years I steered clear of that album as a result, even though I think it's great now
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 12:13
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Enjoy it here:

I had that one on LP back in the day.  It was remarkable how well songs from unrelated albums were juxtaposed together.  It even has one of Pinders' best songs, "A Simple Game", which was never released on an original LP.  However,to me a not insignificant flaw is that EGBDF is only represented by one song, "Story in your eyes".  For several years I steered clear of that album as a result, even though I think it's great now

Absolutely agree. EGBDF is a fine album.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 00:00
^ & ^^ & ^^^      The very comp. album my sister has since around 1987 - and the collection that convinced me to buy the 'classic 7'.   Compilations (sometimes) serve their purpose !!
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 19:48
Glad to find a Moody Blues appreciation thread, this band deserves much more than it gets. I was named after Justin Hayward, so I have always felt a strong emotional connection to this band. I saw him live when he came into town; my first concert and one of my favorites to date. As for albums, my favorites are Childrens Childrens Children, Question of Balance, Threshold, and of course DOFP. My favorite tracks would be Peak hour, Candle of Life, Watching and Waiting, White Satin, Dont you feel small?, and I never thought i would live to be a hundred/million. Great band.
The most dangerous man in America.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 20:35
I know they aren't listed that way on here but in my opinion they were mostly a proto prog band. I don't feel they ever really evolved into a full blown prog band in the strictest sense but that's just my opinion. The focus tended to be mostly on the songwriting. They were great songwriters though so there's really nothing wrong with that. In fact they were arguably the best next to the Beatles(again imo). One of my favorite all time bands so it doesn't matter that much to me. Still, they were an influence on prog rock and certainly played music that paved the way for future prog bands. My favorite albums are long distance voyager, days of future passed, to our children's children's children and on the threshold of a dream. A question of balance was very good too.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 02:11
In my opinion Barclay James Harvest, Moody Blues and Beatles were a different kind of prog.
A more vocal-based prog. Beautiful melodies, that were almost never used in prog since.

The only bands that used such beautiful melodies were Queen, Abba, etc. and other pop bands.

Also the use of mellotron, classical and eastern instruments makes them kind of psychedelic, wich is a prog-sub genre. But I agree that the three bands I named were more of a influence to progmusic than full blown prog.
But apparently I'm not all that into progrock, because most bands I like are protoprog, crossover prog or prog-related, except for Camel and Gentle Giant.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 02:25
Really, after the passing of such an amazing drummer.........
Jaki............:::::
Yeah, I never knew him personally, though, from what his drumming ideals were - he knew what to do..... I reckon (how do you spell that????) he knew extreme drumming before it was 'in vogue'. Double kick is the MASTER !!!
:.....Jaki knew this.........
I love Can.   
......anybody seen this Snowman ???? (Well, that's what it sounds like to me.......)
sh*t........::::: I'm posting on the wrong thread - expected from such a dumb-f**k like me.....sorry........love The Moodies, love Can. A piece of my Heart breaks when we lose an amazing musician that means a lot me/us. Dunno wot to say...........

Edited by Tom Ozric - January 24 2017 at 02:36
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 03:10
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Really, after the passing of such an amazing drummer.........
Jaki............:::::
Yeah, I never knew him personally, though, from what his drumming ideals were - he knew what to do..... I reckon (how do you spell that????) he knew extreme drumming before it was 'in vogue'. Double kick is the MASTER !!!
:.....Jaki knew this.........
I love Can.   
......anybody seen this Snowman ???? (Well, that's what it sounds like to me.......)
sh*t........::::: I'm posting on the wrong thread - expected from such a dumb-f**k like me.....sorry........love The Moodies, love Can. A piece of my Heart breaks when we lose an amazing musician that means a lot me/us. Dunno wot to say...........

Wrong thread, brother...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 03:21
^ Yeah, thanks man. That's what Vodka does to you mid-week..... You know I love Can and Moodies since my teen-years.............
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 11:44
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Yeah, thanks man. That's what Vodka does to you mid-week..... You know I love Can and Moodies since my teen-years.............

Me Too!!!!!!!!!!!Clap
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234