Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMoving Pictures, an overhyped Rush album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 15:22
Overhyped? Maybe 2112. No, Moving Pictures had the ability of simply selling itself because of its general excellence. Sure, Tom Sawyer and Limelight were relegated to being force-fed the populace as standard radio fodder by the powers that be, but this took nothing away from the general appeal of the album among Rush-ites and those that followed. Geddy Lee once opined that 'Pictures was the moment Rush finally came around full circle as a writing and performing unit.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 15:26
Well, I can't say I go out of my way to listen to it much anymore. Mostly due to playing it to death when I was a teenager. But overhyped? No. It is an amazing record. Complex and interesting.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 18:26
How I've said in my reviews about Rush albums (  from RUSH until Grace Under Preasure) , my top Rush album is "A Farewell To KIngs" followed by "Hemispheres" and "2112". However, I consider "Moving Pictures" also a truly masterpiece, as well as "Permanent Waves".  !!!
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 19:27
Overhyped "Rush" album? Certainly not. Moving Pictures is some of the tightest material the band ever did, right alongside Permanent Waves. 

Is it an overhyped album in prog circles? Perhaps, since about half the album is, at its core, just standard hard rock. And the other half is just slightly more complex hard rock. Wink

So to answer the OP, I'll say that no, Moving Pictures is not an overhyped Rush album.  

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Geddy Lee once opined that 'Pictures was the moment Rush finally came around full circle as a writing and performing unit.

I think that that just about sums up Moving Pictures.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
ster View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 21:17
No. Moving Pictures is a great album. I still can’t believe Tom Sawyer became as popular as it did, I mean it’s a great song but it doesn’t sound commercial at all. To me MP is perfect.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 21:32
I wouldn't say it's overhyped, I think it's a fantastic album and among the band's best.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 05:31
How much is over hype. Or Over rating?

I credit the taste of radio programmers for putting Rush into the mainstream and not just whatever trend that week. The thing is it's not like the public go for just 3 albums and reject the rest. Most Rush fans get into most things Rush. Individuals have their preferences one way or another of course.

Me. I bought the record and thought it was great, with a mild reservation over The Camera Eye. They followed that with the tour record which I liked even more.

There. Over rating in hyper drive. This is fun.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 06:05
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Do you consider this Rush album overhyped?

in general?  No way...  great fricking album.

for this site? Oh hell yeah... it was a great AOR album.  Very little prog about it.  Should be ranked about where 90125 is.  Both fabulous albums... hell the Yes album is perhaps even more outwardly prog and we generally know what proggers think of 90125. LOL

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 16:38
Just because something is a masterpiece does not mean it is overhyped...so no
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 16:48
Discussion boards would be much more pleasant places if the word "overrated" and its synonyms were bannedWink.
Save

Edited by Raff - September 24 2016 at 16:48
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 16:52
^ agree
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 16:54
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Discussion boards would be much more pleasant places if the word "overrated" and its synonyms were bannedWink.
Save

LOL
along with those that insist on using them. Oh yes.. this place would be so much more... BORING!!!!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 17:00
I personally have never understood the distaste/alarm many PA members have about the words "overrated and underrated." 

All it means is that you disagree with the prevailing written or numerical judgements about an album.  So what?  Isn't that the point of a "rating" / "review" website?  To register opinion?  So if one disagrees with prevailing opinions about something like Foxtrot, what is wrong with saying that you personally feel it is overrated?  You are saying exactly that anyway if you give it a low rating.  So I'll never understand that one. 

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 17:04
^ agree LOL
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 17:15
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I personally have never understood the distaste/alarm many PA members have about the words "overrated and underrated." 

All it means is that you disagree with the prevailing written or numerical judgements about an album.  So what?  Isn't that the point of a "rating" / "review" website?  To register opinion?  So if one disagrees with prevailing opinions about something like Foxtrot, what is wrong with saying that you personally feel it is overrated?  You are saying exactly that anyway if you give it a low rating.  So I'll never understand that one. 

No alarm whatsoever in my case. My objection to the use of "overrated" is just that it is generally used as a synonym of "I don't like it". As there is no objective way of measuring an album's worth (or a book's, or a movie's....), I find the use of such a word lazy, to say the least. Then again, I am not the biggest fan of giving numerical ratings, especially when not accompanied by reviews.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 18:23
^ That is how I always take the word "overrated", essentially another way someone to express "I don't like it". I always find that these comparisons by the author of such posts is that 1 album they like and the other you find out later they don't.
The discussions always go down the tube after a few posts.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 19:47
The word overrated doesn't necessarily mean you don't like it, just that you have a different opinion of its accumulated rating.  You can like an album quite a lot yet still believe the average site rating too high.  It's just one of many adjectives that could be used to describe such a scenario that is, if we admit it, very common.  It's not an insult, or at least, it doesn't need to be.    

Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 19:56
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

The word overrated doesn't necessarily mean you don't like it, just that you have a different opinion of its accumulated rating.  You can like an album quite a lot yet still believe the average site rating too high.  It's just one of many adjectives that could be used to describe such a scenario that is, if we admit it, very common.  It's not an insult, or at least, it doesn't need to be.    

Exactly. For example, I love Anglagard's "Hybris" (I'd probably rate it a 5 star album) but I think that it being ranked 18th on the PA top 100 is way too high. Hence, I think it's overrated.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 20:04
All you people claiming that we should just present qualitative opinions are being crazy. Saying one album is good and another isn't? Madness! Once the collective has passed down its judgement, who are we to disagree? All hail the priests of the temples of Syrinx. 

This is what Progarchives should be all the time

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 20:38
There are many albums like that for me, albums that I like and I enjoy, but would rate them an entire star or two less than many others.  Some people forget that 3 stars actually means a "good album".  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>