Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Neo Prog Bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 16:27
£3.50 for an LP - those were the days! Any XL T-Shirts left?
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 15:42
^ There was a good little Twelfth Night thread where I posted a load of scanned flyers and other snippets I picked up at the time.. Maybe the thread was about 1980's Neo prog (or NWOBPR as I prefer to call it ;)) I cant remember and I cant find it. I just happened to be around where and when (82-83) some of these bands were starting out so got lots of signed lps and stuff and saw them in small venues. Despite what many here say, there was a real buzz at the time and though it didn't last long, it did generate some real energy (in the same way the NWOBHM did with Iron Maiden, Quartz, Angelwitch etc etc) and creativity. 

Edited by Cosmiclawnmower - April 10 2018 at 15:43

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 16:43
Well I'm enjoying catching up on the band, who somehow passed me by at the time (only registered IQ and Marillion - as I left University and joined the rat race!) The Collector, Sequences, The Ceiling Speaks, Creepshow etc. are great tracks and I'm more attuned to Geoff Mann's vocal style (after just a couple of listens). The instrumentation definitely gets more confident by the time of Live and Let Live.

I'm interested in the views of Twelfth Night fans of the latter albums and even the reunion material. How do you think it compares with the original style. Does it keep the legacy of the earlier days intact? Anyway, looks like some website purchases are called for.

Any other bands of the NWOBPR ( I like that! ) that never really made it past the initial demo or debut album?
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2018 at 15:17
I started a thread about a band called 'Chemical Alice' who only made one 4 track 12'' ep called 'Curiouser & Curiouser' in 1980. I was given a copy by a musician friend who knew the band.. turned out it contained Mark Kelly, later of Marillion.. CA supported Marillion and thus asked him to jump ship and history was made.

I was asking if anyone had seen them, knew any more about them etc but drew a complete blank. Nice little bit on them on the nwobhm.com site. I think I saw them at Stonehenge but i'm not sure...
Image result for chemical alice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789