Topic ClosedThe evolution of prog rock in the modern era

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The evolution of prog rock in the modern era
    Posted: September 30 2016 at 13:52
Hello,

I realize that progressive music hit a commercial and perhaps critical peak in the 70's with lauded artists such as Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Yes, etc. and all of those numerous classic bands, and through that evolved neo-prog in the 80's, and as metal became more popular a type of progressive metal was pioneered and has a strong, more underground following to this day. Prog is not at all a commercially viable genre at the moment, and yet there is a startling number of bands and musicians dedicated to this wonderful form of music, and the fans that follow it extensively, be it rock or metal.

However, I can't help but feel that in many ways it may not share the ideals of former prog giants, with the ideal of expanding the limits of rock music to all-new heights, influenced by the psychedelia of the 60's and the goal of taking the listener to a different "place", so to speak. We still have excellent bands who make progressive rock/metal that doesn't innovate much, or bring much to the table, except continue to write great songs informed by the older forms.

What I'm wondering about is the potential for innovation in the genre, what that would require/necessitate, and who is doing it. I think an important band to note would be the Mars Volta, a progressive rock band who brought a genuinely unique twist on the genre by incorporating Latin music traditions into a sort of art-rock blend, featuring intricate songwriting and concept-albums; this was prog which, although unmistakably PROG, felt fresh and adventurous. In terms of metal, one might note maudlin of the Well and Gorguts (more often referred to as technical death metal or avant-garde metal, but still a band I consider to be suitably progressive) which stretches the definition of what we label prog... but that brings up the question, what is the rock music that is continuing to legitimately progress? I apologize for rambling and I hope we can have an interesting discussion and perhaps suggest some artists which fit the ideals of the thread. 
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 14:25
I concur with you that prog has to some degree entered a stage of stagnation - but this is a general problem of popular music today (not to speak of classical music which is clinically dead). Many prog artists have lost sight of the ideals of classic prog bands, whose objective was to expand rock music into the art music of a kinder gentler society. Since then, this countercultural vision of a new society has fallen pretty much by the wayside, though many prog artists still maintain left-wing positions (and right-wing prog seems to be non-existent).

But prog has never been the most avant-gardist, radical music at any point in its history. The German Krautrock bands were much more out in the field than the English classic prog artists, even King Crimson or Gentle Giant sound tame and conventional in comparison to Can, Faust or Neu!. The Velvet Underground also were more radical than any kind of prog. And just about anything prog or avant-rock artists may have tried out had happened earlier in the academic avant-garde from Schoenberg to Stockhausen or elsewhere far beyond the confines of rock, however advanced by adventurous rock artists.

However, is more radical always better? Nope. Let's try a simile from politics. Are equal rights and equal opportunities a good thing? Certainly. Was communism a good idea? Certainly not. Stockhausen made music that sounded like nothing done before - but almost nobody would actually listen to it. Contemporary classical music not only sits in an ivory tower, but has hauled in the drawbridge and posted snipers in every window. I think prog has found a good balance between musical sophistication and accessibility.

Edited by WeepingElf - September 30 2016 at 14:37
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

thepurplepiper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 15:03
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

I concur with you that prog has to some degree entered a stage of stagnation - but this is a general problem of popular music today (not to speak of classical music which is clinically dead). Many prog artists have lost sight of the ideals of classic prog bands, whose objective was to expand rock music into the art music of a kinder gentler society. Since then, this countercultural vision of a new society has fallen pretty much by the wayside, though many prog artists still maintain left-wing positions (and right-wing prog seems to be non-existent).

But prog has never been the most avant-gardist, radical music at any point in its history. The German Krautrock bands were much more out in the field than the English classic prog artists, even King Crimson or Gentle Giant sound tame and conventional in comparison to Can, Faust or Neu!. The Velvet Underground also were more radical than any kind of prog. And just about anything prog or avant-rock artists may have tried out had happened earlier in the academic avant-garde from Schoenberg to Stockhausen or elsewhere far beyond the confines of rock, however advanced by adventurous rock artists.

However, is more radical always better? Nope. Let's try a simile from politics. Are equal rights and equal opportunities a good thing? Certainly. Was communism a good idea? Certainly not. Stockhausen made music that sounded like nothing done before - but almost nobody would actually listen to it. Contemporary classical music not only sits in an ivory tower, but has hauled in the drawbridge and posted snipers in every window. I think prog has found a good balance between musical sophistication and accessibility.

Thank you for the response -- I take issue with your comment about prog and krautrock, though. Is krautrock not an extension of prog? In my opinion it is, especially bands like Can or Amon Duul II. Therefore, I think they "count" as part of the musical exploration of classic prog. You're correct about the Velvet Underground, though.

As for the earlier avant-garde artists, I think it would be interesting if that were to be further incorporated into progressive rock, and also synthesized with other genres as you can hear the Mars Volta do with Latin music, or a band like Gorguts with dissonance. I guess just by continually experimenting, but not to the degree of radicalism for the sake of radicalism, I mean at the end still creating a type of listenable rock music... just continuing to progress. 

Edited by thepurplepiper - September 30 2016 at 15:04
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 15:18
It is a matter of definition whether one considers Krautrock as a part of prog or as a genre related to prog. I prefer the latter. Surely, Krautrock and prog have a lot of things in common: they both expanded rock beyond the radio-single format, and the musicians had pretty much the same kind of background. But Krautrock's aesthetics were much more radical than those of classic English prog. Prog was into composing long, structured pieces, while Krautrock was into soundscapes and group improvisation, often noodling on a single chord for a quarter of an hour.

But well ... as I have said, it is a matter of definition.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 04:50
Krautrock and Progressive Rock were parallel evolutions and the only commonality between them is really Richard Branson and Virgin Records. A few English Psych bands, such as Hapshash and the Coloured Coat and Second Hand, share some musical characteristics with early Krautrock but that is a coincidental consequence of that parallel evolution of combining the intense drone-like qualities of psychedelia with the dissonance of avant garde and a tribal 'motorik' rhythm. 

Anyway...

The real problem is us the listener. It's us the shopper, us the bandcamper, us the spotifyier and us the youtuber; and more specifically it's us the observer, us the critic, us the reviewer, us the commentator and us the opinionator. There are two parties in every transaction, the seller and the buyer: the performer and the audience, artist and listener = supplier and punter. This is a symbiotic relationship where both halves feed off each other. Artists create music for an audience, even the most non-commercial "only doing it for Arts sake" artist needs an audience, even if that audience is just the artist himself/herself/themselves:
Quote audience (n.) 
late 14c., "the action of hearing," from Old French audience, from Latin audentia "a hearing, listening," from audientum (nominative audiens), present participle of audire "to hear," .
...because unless music is made to be heard then it has no reason to exist.

Up until now we've blamed everything and everyone for the perceived current state of music, its stagnation, its homogeny and its lack of originality. Not just in the world of commercial pop/mainstream music but in all quarters of performance art, including Progressive Rock and Avant-Garde Music. 
Quote I purposely singled out Progressive Rock and Avant-Garde Music here because this is something that I have highlighted many (many) times before: they are nouns and more to the point, they are Proper Nouns - words to name and therefore identify a specific thing. They are not adjectives that can be used to describe something. Avant-Garde Music is not an advanced guard or vanguard of originality or creativity and Progressive Rock is not rock music that progresses. Just New Wave stopped being "new" back in the 1977 and Neo Prog was never actually "neo" anything, Progressive Rock was music that progressed out of something and Avant-Garde was the advance guard of something but once any of those established themselves enough to be given a Proper Noun name they ceased to be the thing that originally defined them.

We've rested the blame on the artists, the record labels, the record producers, the promoters, the "new" technology, "music theory"(?!?), the media, the critics and the music-buyers as if none of it is our fault. When it comes to the music-buyer we've invariably blamed them in an arrogantly elitist way - they (whoever "they" are) listen to crap music so it's their fault that music is crap and, to quote Paul Weller, the public gets what the public wants... now becomes a tired excuse that we trot out to make ourselves feel better in some perverse way as if we are immune from that ourselves. Yet we (who weep into our beer and decry the state of things) are part of that, we too get what we deserve by creating an environment that (despite all its good intentions) actually stifles creativity instead of encouraging it. By the action of being judgemental we create a lose-lose, damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. For example we have decreed that TMV's albums have subjectively, and pretty consistently, got "worse" with each subsequent release (and this trend occurs *a lot* here and on other music review-sites). Not because (objectively) they have got "worse", but because perhaps they've failed to meet our expectations (however realistic or unrealistic those expectations have been) or have failed to "progress", or "progressed" in the wrong direction, or got too "samey" [yet we mourn their passing even though Rodríguez-López and Bixler-Zavala have moved on to other projects, including the current At The Drive In reunion, reformation (call it what you will)].

Returning to the "evolution" analogy - consider this definition: "change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift" (it's not the only definition but the connotation that is applicable here). What made TMV (and every other Prog Rock band) a Progressive Rock band was the process of mutation that created them as a distinct "species" that could survive in the Progressive Rock pool, there was no adaptation or natural selection here that compelled any of them to continue to evolve beyond that initial "progressive" evolution. There are a few exceptions but to be Progressive Rock you only needed to mutate once and often that initial mutation was at the moment of creation (as a prime example: ELP).

Edited by Dean - October 01 2016 at 04:59
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 06:37
Well said, Dean!

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 07:22
Prog has only entered a period of stagnation if you aren't exploring.  Right now I a am cycling chronologically by recorded dates through my collection. 1968 is about to wrap.  I still keep another foot firmly in the present and there is plenty of good new stuff going on.  Even Kansas has apparently re-embraced prog and is putting out great stuff.  Keep an open mind and open ears. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 07:42
^ Hi there Brian, long time no see - how's life treating you these days? Flood-free I hope! I agree with you, Prog has never really stagnated, it's all a matter of perception and expectation, However, I would go further and posit that the music subgenre of Progressive Rock has never evolved either. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The "change over time" that is misinterpreted as evolution has been through addition not evolution. We have multiple subgenres of Progressive Rock because we have added bands, artists and whole sub-styles of music into the Prog Rock canon. There is always a direct connection or relationship between each addition and what was there before but the change is incremental, it is not a linear progression or evolution. So each subsequent addition broadens the definition but it does not make it any deeper.

For example, [and I chose this example deliberately because it's an artificial non-musicological subgenre that no artist should ever aspire to be], take the subgenre of Crossover Prog - we initially created this category to classify a group of Art Rock artists that fitted a distinct crossover between Prog Rock and Mainstream Rock who erred on the Progressive Rock side of that - and this was (and still is) a recursive definition: the subgenre itself was defined by the artists we initially put in it and they in turn were defined by being placed in the category. So each subsequent addition has changed the subgenre (and some would argue, not without reason, that it dilutes it while others would argue that it enriches the "gene" pool - I take the view that it does both and that is determined by the direction of the change itself); Crossover has never evolved, it has simply changed over time as each new artist addition has changed not only what people perceive Crossover Prog to be, but what artists people perceive to be Crossover Prog. We have reached the point were being not "Art Rock" is no-longer seen to be a reason to reject a suggestion (same is true of Eclectic and Heavy).

This is true of all the subgenres and of Prog Rock as a whole, each new artist added changes the perception of what other artist can or should be added into that subgenre and thus into the whole Prog Rock family. 

Suppose Prog Rock is defined by the traits [A] and [ B] :
  1. If a new addition to the Prog Rock family has traits [A, B, C & D] where [A] and [ B] are the two that enable the inclusion,
  2. and another addition has traits [A, B, D & E] so are also included because of [A] and [ B],
  3. then the perception is that a new suggestion that has traits [A, D, E & F] should also be included because it shares traits [A] and [D] with the two previous additions even though [D] was never part of the original specification. 
  4. Now the adapted (evolved) Prog Rock is defined by traits [A], [ B]and [D] (from {1} and {2}).
  5. Moreover, it has an assumed false trait [E] that is shared by the two latest additions by default (from {2} and {3}).
  6. This false perception/assumption is re-enforced if the next addition has traits [A, C, D and E] or [B, C, D and E] or [A, B, E and F]...
  7. So the presumption now is that next suggestion can have traits [C, D, E, and F] and be accepted into the canon of Prog Rock because even though it has none of the original traits and only one adopted trait [D] because:
    1. Each trait is present in one or more of the bands now called Prog
    2. and it contains several trait-pairings that are shared with several other bands that we call Prog. 
In that simplified example we could in theory reject {7} because it lacks traits [A] or [ B] from the original specification, but since the Prog Rock was redefined to include [D] in {4} that rejection would be met with resistance, so the addition could be accepted because of extra weight of argument added by the false trait [E]. Now extrapolate this over 100s of new additions that incrementally change the definition as new pairings become more frequent and it becomes increasingly harder to justify a rejection. Further more, because everyone presumes that Prog Rock is supposed to progress then all of the inherited traits ([C], [E] and [F]) are not only acceptable, they are a desired part of the "evolution" process and we get the situation where a new band comes along that only has traits [A] and [ B] everyone pans them for not being Prog (enough). The point here is this "evolution" of a Prog Rock has nothing to do with the progress of music but is purely down to the addition of new bands into the genre and the mutations they bring with them.

No other genre of music suffers from this infliction (and I do mean "suffer" and "infliction") because no other genre of music is expected to change, in fact change is invariably undesired and frowned upon. In other music genres too radical a departure from the norm is either ejected, hived off to yet another sub-sub-subgenre, spun-off as a new beastie or simply thrown into the ill-defined and inherently meaningless "experimental" category.

Edited by Dean - October 01 2016 at 07:52
What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 07:58
^been hijacked by House of Prog.  Yeah, addition instead of evolution. If there were evolution, what shape would it take?  As it is there are too many good new artists out there for me to take in, but I am happy to sample.  Occasionally one hooks me.  Help meeee. LOL

On a personal note, no floods fortunately.  Had a seizure Monday and am feeling out of sorts today.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 08:07
^ hope you feel better soon, take care of yourself dude. 
What?
thepurplepiper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 08:31
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Krautrock and Progressive Rock were parallel evolutions and the only commonality between them is really Richard Branson and Virgin Records. A few English Psych bands, such as Hapshash and the Coloured Coat and Second Hand, share some musical characteristics with early Krautrock but that is a coincidental consequence of that parallel evolution of combining the intense drone-like qualities of psychedelia with the dissonance of avant garde and a tribal 'motorik' rhythm. 

Anyway...

The real problem is us the listener. It's us the shopper, us the bandcamper, us the spotifyier and us the youtuber; and more specifically it's us the observer, us the critic, us the reviewer, us the commentator and us the opinionator. There are two parties in every transaction, the seller and the buyer: the performer and the audience, artist and listener = supplier and punter. This is a symbiotic relationship where both halves feed off each other. Artists create music for an audience, even the most non-commercial "only doing it for Arts sake" artist needs an audience, even if that audience is just the artist himself/herself/themselves:
Quote audience (n.) 
late 14c., "the action of hearing," from Old French audience, from Latin audentia "a hearing, listening," from audientum (nominative audiens), present participle of audire "to hear," .
...because unless music is made to be heard then it has no reason to exist.

Up until now we've blamed everything and everyone for the perceived current state of music, its stagnation, its homogeny and its lack of originality. Not just in the world of commercial pop/mainstream music but in all quarters of performance art, including Progressive Rock and Avant-Garde Music. 
Quote I purposely singled out Progressive Rock and Avant-Garde Music here because this is something that I have highlighted many (many) times before: they are nouns and more to the point, they are Proper Nouns - words to name and therefore identify a specific thing. They are not adjectives that can be used to describe something. Avant-Garde Music is not an advanced guard or vanguard of originality or creativity and Progressive Rock is not rock music that progresses. Just New Wave stopped being "new" back in the 1977 and Neo Prog was never actually "neo" anything, Progressive Rock was music that progressed out of something and Avant-Garde was the advance guard of something but once any of those established themselves enough to be given a Proper Noun name they ceased to be the thing that originally defined them.

We've rested the blame on the artists, the record labels, the record producers, the promoters, the "new" technology, "music theory"(?!?), the media, the critics and the music-buyers as if none of it is our fault. When it comes to the music-buyer we've invariably blamed them in an arrogantly elitist way - they (whoever "they" are) listen to crap music so it's their fault that music is crap and, to quote Paul Weller, the public gets what the public wants... now becomes a tired excuse that we trot out to make ourselves feel better in some perverse way as if we are immune from that ourselves. Yet we (who weep into our beer and decry the state of things) are part of that, we too get what we deserve by creating an environment that (despite all its good intentions) actually stifles creativity instead of encouraging it. By the action of being judgemental we create a lose-lose, damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. For example we have decreed that TMV's albums have subjectively, and pretty consistently, got "worse" with each subsequent release (and this trend occurs *a lot* here and on other music review-sites). Not because (objectively) they have got "worse", but because perhaps they've failed to meet our expectations (however realistic or unrealistic those expectations have been) or have failed to "progress", or "progressed" in the wrong direction, or got too "samey" [yet we mourn their passing even though Rodríguez-López and Bixler-Zavala have moved on to other projects, including the current At The Drive In reunion, reformation (call it what you will)].

Returning to the "evolution" analogy - consider this definition: "change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift" (it's not the only definition but the connotation that is applicable here). What made TMV (and every other Prog Rock band) a Progressive Rock band was the process of mutation that created them as a distinct "species" that could survive in the Progressive Rock pool, there was no adaptation or natural selection here that compelled any of them to continue to evolve beyond that initial "progressive" evolution. There are a few exceptions but to be Progressive Rock you only needed to mutate once and often that initial mutation was at the moment of creation (as a prime example: ELP).

Excellent post, thank you for taking the time for such a detailed response.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 05:54
I realise this is a sidetrack to the main topic, but bear with me, all will come clear (I hope).

In an earlier post I blamed "us" and that is one of the flaws with Prog (in the modern era), as the self-appointed arbiters of Prog we (the listener) fashion what Prog is, so Prog becomes what we say it is and not what the Artists decree it to be. [Steven Wilson said "I'm not Prog" and we replied "Oh, yes you are"...]. In the past the media (in collusion with the record labels) would have assumed this role, they would dictate to us and we would lap it up. In the deep analysis it could be argued that Krautrock is only regard as being part of the Prog Rock canon because Virgin Records and the NME decided it was. But now the listeners are in control. The Rock media and the record labels (e.g. K-Scope.. and I'm a big fan of the label so this is not a criticism) can try to force their Prog du jour upon us but if we're not buying into it then they are wasting their time - for years they have been attempting to foist "New Prog" on us and we simply ignored them, preferring to cherry-pick those artists we believed were Prog and discarding those we didn't - which is as it should be, it's our dollar after all. 

I have made no secret of the fact that I firmly believe that the PA represents the listeners: we are not here to promote artists or further the cause of Progressive Rock; this is a review site for listeners, not a free promotional tool for the artists. The collaborators (of which I am one, albeit now a passive but still vocal one) are here to serve the listeners which is why we are selected (appointed/volunteered) from the membership and have no ownership here, are not employees of the site owner and have no affiliations with the industry (and by that I mean artists, record labels, distributors, suppliers, sellers, promoters and the media - basically anyone who is trying to get you the listener to listen to the music) - we aren't elected representatives but we are selected to be representative of a knowledgeable sample of listeners. At times we may forget this salient point but on the whole we regard ourselves as listeners of Prog, fans of certain Prog bands and  champions of specific Prog subgenres. With this comes a level of responsibility that what we do will shape what Prog is and will become.

In the past there were two schools of thought at play here: the inclusivity camp and the exclusivity camp - both firmly believed they are using their new-found responsibility as (appointed) Prog arbiters to protect what Prog Rock is all about, one through a conservative approach where purity is paramount and the other through a more liberal viewpoint where diversity is key. Both believed that evolution and progress could be achieved within their philosophical ideology yet both result in condition that from one angle looks like growth and from another looks like stagnation. Some would argue that bands like Flowerkings and Slyvan, or albums like Heritage and Hand Cannot Erase are an evolution within the traditional concept of Prog whereas others take the opposite view; and conversely some regard modern Rock bands like The Mars Volta and The Dear Hunter as a progression of the Prog ideal whereas others take the opposite view.

In this listener-representative collaborator role I used to be an inclusive guy whose philosophy was 'if someone thinks a band is Prog then add them and let the reviews decide the prog quotient'. Of course there was a measure of control involved there otherwise it would be a recipe for chaos, the additions team would have to agree that there was some degree of Progginess present but as this is a subjective assessment the act of being suggested would add weight to that by default (not all addition teams and not all team members took this view btw).

However, done correctly inclusivity is a self-levelling system, bands that are barely prog at all get low ratings and that discourages other similar bands from using the Prog tag as a means of promoting themselves and it means we don't accidentally miss that hidden gem. Now, obviously that is an inherently flawed approach because the reviews and ratings assess quality plus prog-quotient or just quality but not purely prog-quotient, however for addition purposes we only evaluate their suitability as a Prog band, we don't make subjective judgement of quality: a good band can be rejected for not being Prog and a poor band accepted because they are (and I suspect that all the teams have added some right stinkers before now just because they fit the brief). But in the inclusive philosophy that's not so much of an issue because all the good prog albums rise to the top along with all the good nearly-prog albums and all the bad non-prog albums sink to the bottom with all the Prog lemons. 
This is a paraphrase of something I wrote in the CZ a while ago (like Fight Club, we're not supposed to do this, but as they are my words I feel it's "okay" to share here):
Originally posted by Dean, 31st July 2010 Dean, 31st July 2010 wrote:

In my time on the addition team I've never felt the need to defend any single addition or rejection, I never saw that as part of my job function since in this corner of the Prog genre there will always be someone who disagrees with an addition or rejection. Defend the team and the artist/album can look after itself has always been my approach, and I think time has born that out as being a truism. That's not to say I haven't fought some fierce battles over additions, it's just that I've not defended the addition itself, but the rational behind the addition.

Three things changed my view of this: the evolution though addition effect; ratings abuse; and the 'Bandcamp' phenomenon. 

1. By adding artists essentially on the say-so of the person suggesting them we either dilute or enrich the "gene" pool depending on the direction that the "mutation" takes, but (and it's a big butt) one enrichment does not cancel out one dilution - each dilution has an accumulative effect irregardless of the number of enrichments. The dichotomy of dilution vs. enrichment can be (and is) as detrimental to the genre as that of inclusivity vs. exclusivity when taken to extremes. 
  2. Ratings abuse and deliberate manipulation buggers everything up, it's counter productive, reflects badly on the PA as a legitimate review site and seriously undermines the integrity the reviewers, but moreover it makes the inclusivity approach to additions completely untenable - I spent the last three years of my tenure as a PA Admin combating this and now regard that as 100s of hours effort flushed down the bog. 
  3. I'm probably one of the few people in this world that has an issue with the 'Bandcamp' phenomenon and regular forumites will know that I'll take every opportunity to bang on about itad nauseum. My proudest achievement as an Admin was to enable self-released artists to be admitted here and it is also my most vexing. I am also a Bandcamp and Soundcloud user, as both a listener and as an artist, which may appear hypocritical but in truth I'm simply being openly critical of a system I have no problem in using. While I cannot deny that the phenomenon has been a liberating force for good and has rid us of the shackles of the media and the record labels, I also recognise that it's not entirely for altruistic benefit of the artist or their audience. It is still part of the music industry albeit one that is now funded by (but not owned by) the artists themselves rather than from the sales generated within the label system - and let's be honest with ourselves here - while Bandcamp and Soundcloud promote themselves as an online music store, they act like record labels because that is the service they provide and they exist to make money for their owners, not the artists self-signed to them. In that regard I see no distinction between Bandcamp, UA, Sony, MRR or K-Scope. 
But all that aside, none of that has any bearing on why the 'Bandcamp' phenomenon has changed my view of inclusivity and why it troubles me from the perspective of the PA and the evolution of Prog Rock in the modern era. The problem comes back to one of us the listeners, and here the maths just does not add up - sure the  'Bandcamp' phenomenon has been great in allowing us access to (literally) millions of new artists that hitherto would have been unknown to anyone except themselves, their immediate friends and their pet dog, and with that (literally) hundreds of hitherto unknown Prog bands and (literally) thousands of hitherto unknown bands who believe themselves to be progressive (without the capital 'P' of a Proper Noun) - it hasn't resulted in a proportional change in the number of listeners or had any measurable effect on the relative growth/stagnation of the Progressive Rock subgenre (or any other music genre come to that). 

Across the board (whether self-released or on a label) supply has outpaced demand by a ferocious distance - while Bandcamp obfuscate their stats to make analysis difficult, the published results of Soundcloud suggest there are only ten times more listeners than artists on their rosta (and I have good reason to believe that Bandcamp is far worse than this). And that's nowhere near enough when you consider that 90% of those listeners will be listening to the top 10% of the artists (if you take the time to analyse what scant sales data exists it's actually closer to 98% buying to the top 2% - which is exactly the same ratio that record labels have worked with since Edison invented the phonograph). What that means to the PA is we add an artist who has no listeners - which is fine if our role was to promote the artists, but it isn't - as I said, we are here to enable the listeners to rate and review the artist's album, the best we can hope for here is maybe one or two of our members will take a listen and maybe they'll rate the album, but this rarely happens. While the latest release by Kansas or Opeth will attract dozens of reviews and ratings before the album is even released, an unknown self-release album will get none. That album could be the most important development in Progressive Rock since the release of ITCOTCK but unless it actually has an effect on the genre then it might just as well be wrapped in tin-foil and buried in the back yard for all it is worth. As Brian rightly pointed out: "Prog has only entered a period of stagnation if you aren't exploring."

That does not mean it doesn't change anything because each addition to the Prog Rock canon, even those that go unnoticed, results in an incremental change in the entry criteria without actually changing (née evolving) what it is to be Prog. The influx of self-release artists (that I enabled) has broadened the view without making it any deeper.

The on-going number of suggestions, evaluations and additions has never waned here since the site's inception back in 2004, each day new suggestions are made and the teams are constantly employed evaluating and adding them to the database. This suggests many positive things, but is also indicative of every negative point I've raised - all of these new suggestions cannot point to a period of growth and evolution that some will claim it to be if there are others who see the "modern era" as a period of stagnation.

Taking all this into account we find ourselves in the situation where suggestions of band that even ten years ago would have resulted in derision and lots of rofling merriment are now being taken seriously. I have to ask here what has changed? Has that band's music suddenly evolved ten or twenty years after it was recorded or has our perception of what Prog is changed? And the only valid answer to that is our perception has changed and it has not changed because we've grown wiser or bolder or more open-minded, nor have we re-evaluated or re-defined what Prog actually is, we've just shifted the goal posts retrospectively to encompass stuff that was never considered to be Prog Rock at the time.
What?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 07:38
Very interesting post Dean, lots to think about. It's an interesting impact of bandcamp that I think you capture accurately. Trying to determine the difference between a new band that are worthy of inclusion versus someone self releasing their noodling in the basement is often quite difficult. Thanks for posting. Would be interested in trying to work out what level of gravitas would determine a band has sufficient weight for inclusion. Touring in large enough venues? Music press? Sales?

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - October 02 2016 at 07:41
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 10:06
Nice post, Dean. A lot of things to think about. What regards myself, I feel that recently (since about the turn of the century), much stuff is touted as "prog" in the mainstream and "alternative" music press (at least here in Germany) which is IMHO only marginally related to prog (such as all that technical extreme metal and what I call "proggy alternative rock" such as Tool), while what I consider actual prog still tends to get ignored. Things are of course different in the classic rock press, where prog gets its fair share of attention as part of the wider genre of classic rock.

So there is "hipster prog" which gets good press but is only as much prog as English is a Romance language, and there is actual prog which tends to be ignored, though things are gradually improving (Visions, a German alternative rock magazine, carried a special about prog a few months ago which was not really good but at least a good start, and I have recently seen two reviews of prog albums in the German Rolling Stone). The same time, I feel that actual prog is not progressing much anymore - the prog we have now is not much different from the prog we had ten years ago. This, I think, is just part of the retro-mania that has befallen popular music as a whole around the year 2000 (I see little change in "hipster prog", either). Is there a real difference in meaning of the term "prog" in classic rock vs. alternative rock, or am I just an old fart who simply doesn't cope with the recent evolution of prog?

Post Reply Post Reply