11 [18.97%]
10 [17.24%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 11:36
We love when we play....

This one is just absolutely breathtaking in my opinion. Although, as of recent times the Ancient has been getting me more haha

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - April 10 2018 at 11:38
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 13:28
The thing about Ancient is that nothing else in the Yes catalog sounds anything like it(imo). It's just so out there and is probably the closest they ever came to sounding like King Crimson(again imo). 
For Nobody's Bush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 18:29
I know that when I first tried to get into this album The ancient made sense enough for me to soldier on, and now I love the whole thing=Prog italian rum cake!
For Nobody's Bush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 18:29
OOps, I meant The Ritual.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 19:10
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

The thing about Ancient is that nothing else in the Yes catalog sounds anything like it(imo). It's just so out there and is probably the closest they ever came to sounding like King Crimson(again imo). 

No. It's Yes 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 19:26
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Heard it for the fisrt time at age 18, clicked at age 30.

That happened to me with A Passion Play. The first time I heard it I thought "WTF" and left it aside to rot. One day I decided to give it another spin and it clicked completely. Today I consider it to be JT's best album and one of my top 5 records ever.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 21:52
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Did TFTGO click really fast with anyone else? I feel like the whole album felt pretty natural for me the first listen through. It was just more Yes music. Maybe more than people were expecting (or even wanted), but all the music is excellent IMHO.

Wouldn't say it clicked on first listen, per se, but I'd say it took me about as long as any other Yes album for me to get into. Didn't dislike it on the first listen and knew I wanted to hear it again. Then about 5 full listens before I considered it an album I liked, about 5 more listens before I considered it an album I loved, and about another 5 before I considered it a favourite. Certainly not a drawn-out, grueling task for me to get into; took the better part of a summer. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 21:58
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Ritual by a short margin - then RSOG , The Ancient (sublime guitar work), Last The remembering - but they are all better than most other bands best output - tales has got to be in the top five symphonic prog releases of all time - if somebody tells me that 90125/Abacab is better I'd fooking shoot them (metaphorically)!

well said----Tales is a great work of prog---is every moment riveting? No but thats true of many 90 minute pieces of classical music or any music for that matter----I think the love version of Ritual is better than the studio----I think the opening with Howe and closing parts with Howe are beautiful guitar parts---but to me it is the most flawed side---Jon goes on and on---bass solo and drum solos are just ok----I actually like the Remembering as symphonic prog--it's more folky in parts ----the ending sends chills down my spine every time 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 22:26
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Did TFTGO click really fast with anyone else? I feel like the whole album felt pretty natural for me the first listen through. It was just more Yes music. Maybe more than people were expecting (or even wanted), but all the music is excellent IMHO.
If I remember right, I bought it 1990. Never listened it as much as those other Yes classic albums, but I think I really have listened it many times through these years and two times I have thought "this is absolutely great album as a whole". Both of those were after 2000. Mostly I think the first album is great, in the second there are moments I would want to put needle forward. But always listened it as a whole (as I do every album).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123