Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGender theory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Should gender theory be taught in schools?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [20.59%]
20 [58.82%]
3 [8.82%]
4 [11.76%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 13:27
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I repeat myself but if most of the human race, like many mammals, are heterosexuals and are only attracted to humans from the opposite sex, then sexual/gender identity has everything to do with it. You cannot project your personal experience on the rest of us. I respect your orientation and expect you to likewise respect mine. Saying there is no such thing as sex pretends that my experience is an artificial construct which it absolutely isn't.

1. No, sex/gender identity have nothing to do with your sexuality. That's like, queer theory 101.
2. Understanding the socially constructed nature of gender does not invalidate anyone's experiences.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 13:28
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Judith Butler is not a biologist so quoting a philosopher at me is pretty much the same as quoting the bible, if you believe that then good for you, if you don't then good for you - and to be perfectly honest that is all you can say about philosophy.

Surely you also would have to discard a biologist's work since it depends on the philosophy of biology.
Really? The philosophy of science is not science. Philosophy does not affect physiology. 

Exactly, even if biologists are being guided in their research by philosophical principles, they're still leaps and bounds more credible to speak about biology because they actually use empirical evidence and collect reproducible results experimentally.

Evidence and results mean nothing if you don't interpret them. Besides, biological determinism is silly.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 20:39

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Judith Butler is not a
biologist so quoting a philosopher at me is pretty much the same as
quoting the bible, if you believe that then good for you, if you don't
then good for you - and to be perfectly honest that is all you can say
about philosophy.</span>

Surely you also would have to
discard a biologist's work since it depends on the
philosophy of
biology

Really? The philosophy of science is not science. Philosophy does not affect physiology. 

Exactly, even if biologists are being guided in their research by philosophical principles, they're still leaps and bounds more credible to speak about biology because they actually use empirical evidence and collect reproducible results experimentally.
Philosophy of science (e.g. Karl Popper) is great stuff. It's about how science should proceed. When philosophy takes the place of science, then it's not such great stuff.

The idea that gender is a distinct notion from sex and that gender works on a continuum is not even controversial in psychology. For this reason, I don't think that puberty is particularly relevant to this question, as some other posts have supposed. Individual deviations from prescribed gender roles occur very early even at pre-school ages. The question is what is the curriculum and what level of sophistication does it entail? If it's mainly as an anti-bullying effort, I think it might be worthwhile. However, because of the huge gulf between what is readily accepted in psychology versus what the mainstream populace just assumes as a gut reaction, I think we should educate the adults (the educators, parents, politicians, ...) first.

Edited by HackettFan - October 06 2016 at 20:48
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 21:50
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Philosophy of science (e.g. Karl Popper) is great stuff. It's about how science should proceed. When philosophy takes the place of science, then it's not such great stuff.

The idea that gender is a distinct notion from sex and that gender works on a continuum is not even controversial in psychology. For this reason, I don't think that puberty is particularly relevant to this question, as some other posts have supposed. Individual deviations from prescribed gender roles occur very early even at pre-school ages. The question is what is the curriculum and what level of sophistication does it entail? If it's mainly as an anti-bullying effort, I think it might be worthwhile. However, because of the huge gulf between what is readily accepted in psychology versus what the mainstream populace just assumes as a gut reaction, I think we should educate the adults (the educators, parents, politicians, ...) first.

Yep, I'll have to agree with everything you just said. There's no doubt that at young ages, and consistently throughout childhood/adolescence, we should make efforts to reinforce to children that it's okay to have characteristics from whatever gender they feel most comfortable associating with/not identifying with a gender at all. And I can't see it as something that would be particularly difficult to implement into the education system. It could easily fit in with more or less all the other basic life skills/common courtesies that get taught in kindergarten and early grades. 

Edit: In that respect, I voted "yes" to the original poll. I think gender theory should get taught in schools; not necessarily the philosophical musings that A Person has been listing off (save that for grad school), but definitely a common courtesy/mutual respect of others type of implementation that promotes people embracing their identities.

Edited by Magnum Vaeltaja - October 06 2016 at 21:53
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 22:33
Obviously I'm not saying we should teach elementary kids college-level philosophy. But to teach kids ways to understand, accept, and support each other, to prevent things like this:

would not be impossible.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2016 at 06:44

Judith Butler is not a biologist so quoting a philosopher at me is pretty much the same as quoting the bible, if you believe that then good for you, if you don't then good for you - and to be perfectly honest that is all you can say about philosophy.

Surely you also would have to discard a biologist's work since it depends on the philosophy of biology.

Evidence and results mean nothing if you don't interpret them. Besides, biological determinism is silly.

Interpretation of results is part of the process of science itself. The philosophy of science isn't needed. And biological determinism may be silly but it's true so.

"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2016 at 09:25

1. No, sex/gender identity have nothing to do with your sexuality. That's like, queer theory 101.
Now this is just semantics.  While gender may be a social construct up to a point, sex is not.  So whether you call it sex identity or sexuality is beside the point.  It's still very much a thing and for a heterosexual, immediately identifies the opposite sex as, well, opposite.  There is no ambiguity there.  Nobody who's actually heterosexual (rather than being forced to conform to his/her gender role by society) is ever sexually attracted to those from his/her own sex.  So that means something by way of 'the other' sex does exist.  

I am not hung up on words, we can call it male and female or we can call it something else but the notion of opposite sexes will remain as long as a majority of humans are heterosexual in orientation which is very much the case today.  Unless, of course, a concerted effort is made to condition kids to feel ambiguous about themselves Wink just the same way as people were earlier (and still are in some parts of the world) forced to deny the fact that perhaps they, as individuals, were somehow differently orientated sexually than others. But in that case, you would again be using social engineering to achieve a purportedly natural outcome so it would really be no different for all purposes from the earlier orthodoxy. 

I am just saying, nobody told me that I am supposed to get attracted to women; it just happened.  So that part of it is not social conditioning at all since in my culture it was taboo to discuss anything to do with sex in the presence of children. To be clear, by attraction, I mean lust and not love since you conflated sexual and romantic attraction earlier in the discussion. There are biological forces at work when it comes to sexual attraction and which way it REALLY goes is decided by the body, not the mind. 

2. Understanding the socially constructed nature of gender does not invalidate anyone's experiences.

See above.  I have a problem with your over ambition in also claiming sex as in sexual identity is only a social construct.  Gender, yes, but not sex.  And no, I am not interested in sociologists claiming that sex is only a social construct to further whatever ideological beliefs they may hold.  Let a biologist demonstrate the same and I will readily open my mind to this possibility. 

Edited by rogerthat - October 07 2016 at 09:27
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2016 at 14:50
Gender identity is about one's self-concept. It does not detrmine what sex one is attracted to. For instance, a person with a male sex organ can identify as female yet be attracted to other females.

If I understand correctly, I do agree with Rogerthat that proposed sociopolitical motivations should be summarily tossed out.

Edited by HackettFan - October 07 2016 at 14:55
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2016 at 22:24

Gender identity is about one's self-concept. It does not detrmine what sex one is attracted to. For instance, a person with a male sex organ can identify as female yet be attracted to other females.

Thanks, this is kind of what I am trying to address by separating sex from gender.  Sexual attraction is biological and the example you have given is exactly what I am talking about.  
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2016 at 23:49

Thanks, this is kind of what I am trying to address by separating sex from gender.  Sexual attraction is biological and the example you have given is exactly what I am talking about.

Sexual attraction is not 100% determined biologically.

I would respond to more thingsbut i'm ttoo tired.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 02:46

Sexual attraction is not 100% determined biologically.

I would respond to more thingsbut i'm ttoo tired.
Woh... if it (biological sex) is not 100% biological then all medical realignment surgeries, procedures and treatments are unnecessary, which makes them nothing more than cosmetic vanities like piercings and tattoos. It also means that it (attraction, orientation, dysphoria) can be changed (fixed, corrected, cured) by giving someone a stiff talking-to. Now, I don't believe for one minute you are saying any of that at all but it is the consequential implication of regarding sex as a sociological construct (or at least in part). In order for both those implications/inferences to be false [and I believe they are] then it is necessary to completely separate the sociological (software) from the biological (hardware and firmware) - and I suspect what Butler et al are doing is regarding the firmware as something that is wholly programmable on all dimorphic hardware configurations so is purely sociological whereas (to continue the computing analogy) the evidence currently suggests it is only partially reconfigurable at a higher level on specifically compatible hardware as far as the low-level microcode will allow.

The problem with sociology, psychology and philosophy is they only work on biological organisms, which means they are an effect not a cause. In this regard the philosophy of science and the philosophy of biology are meaningless buzz-words, when I said "Philosophy does not affect physiology" that is a truth, just as "sociology does not affect gravity" and "psychology doesn't affect mass" - what they are actually wasting hours of their time prattling on about isn't even the philosophy of scientists or the philosophy of biologists but the philosophy of consequences. 

Edited by Dean - October 08 2016 at 03:23
What?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 03:12
Sex is clearly by definition 100% biological, but I don't think it would be impossible to completely change one's sexual attraction by psychological and/or physical indoctrination.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 04:39
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Sex is clearly by definition 100% biological, but I don't think it would be impossible to completely change one's sexual attraction by psychological and/or physical indoctrination.

I agree, but which would be an undesirable way to go about it. It has to be purely internal and voluntary.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 09:49

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Sex is clearly by definition 100% biological, but I don't think it would
be impossible to completely change one's sexual attraction by
psychological and/or physical indoctrination.

I agree, but which would be an undesirable way to go about it. It has to be purely internal and voluntary.  
@Vompatti. I think it would be impossible to "completely" change a person's attraction. One would presumably have to manipulate the stimulus-response behavior of an individual in question over time until the new behavior becomes entrenched. However, behaviorism is wrong; there is a mind that intercedes in the middle of any stimulus-response pairing (response now expanding to include perceptions, attitudes and goals in addition to behaviors). Priming stimuli do have automatic subliminal effects on people, but they can only do so if a mental schema for the perception, attitude, goal or behavior already exists. Now new schemas can also be created and potentially entrenched with additional activation, but only if they do not conflict with current goals and competing schemas. A stimulus may even have the opposite of the intended effect, as with an instruction like "don't press the red button". My message from all this is that, though, there might be some genuine success in shifting some people's sexual attraction, it would be limited to a subset of people who were for some reason already receptive (e.g. have a bisexual disposition to begin with, or are (religiously) goal-driven to "normalize" their attraction). Shifts in attraction among such a cherry-picked group would still have prior competing dispositions that would remain susceptible to future re-activation, and so still not be complete and total.

Edited by HackettFan - October 08 2016 at 10:11
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 10:30
If a man/woman is raised in complete isolation (I know, impossible, anyway...) and is presented with a woman and man for the first time after puberty, who will he/she be attracted to?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 11:48

If I understand correctly, I do agree with Rogerthat that proposed sociopolitical motivations should be summarily tossed out.

I simply don't understand that.....how can someone be attracted to females who is biologically male yet gender  indentify  as female..? To me that sounds like a psychological malfunction....?
Confused
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 12:35
My earlier answer to the original question about teaching this topic to young school children was no.
After reading some of the replies my answer is still no.
Most of the conversations here are at the college level (out of necessity?) so why would anyone expect elementary school, middle school or even high school students to understand.

BTW, what are people hoping to gain by trying to change a child's sexual attraction?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 13:23
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

If a man/woman is raised in complete isolation (I know, impossible, anyway...) and is presented with a woman and man for the first time after puberty, who will he/she be attracted to?
And more importantly, in which language will he/she express his/her preference?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 13:47
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I simply don't understand that.....how can someone be attracted to females who is biologically male yet gender  indentify  as female..? To me that sounds like a psychological malfunction....?
Confused
I don't think you need an additional explanation. You seem to have it down, but are reluctant to suspend your disbelief. But think of it this way. A person who is biologically male but gender identifies as a female while still being attracted to females is no different from any other lesbian (any other biological female still gender identifying as female yet attract to other females) except in terms of biology. Gender and sexual orientation do not go hand in hand.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 14:22
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

My earlier answer to the original question about teaching this topic to young school children was no.
After reading some of the replies my answer is still no.
Most of the conversations here are at the college level (out of necessity?) so why would anyone expect elementary school, middle school or even high school students to understand.

BTW, what are people hoping to gain by trying to change a child's sexual attraction?
I don't think anyone has suggested changing a child's sexual attraction, nor their gender identification. The question was whether (and how, I guess) to educate youth about accepting variations in gender identity. Along with the discussion has been some debate as to the distinction between gender and sexuality. Along with this there was a dispute about whether there was a sociopolitical determination at play with sexual identity (or gender identity?) and what domain of study it really belonged to. The question of whether sexual attraction could changed, I believe, was put forward in this latter context (i.e. sociopollitics is malleable, is the psychology of it also malleable?). Someone will let me know if I got something wrong here.

Also, it is one thing to make the calculation that the sophistication of a proposed curriculum is not age level appropriate. This not the same as saying there is not a need for some kind of curriculum. Gender identity conflicts do not wait for puberty or adulthood, and the lack of acceptance over gender identification does put children at higher risk for suicide.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>