2 [1.57%]
10 [7.87%]
18 [14.17%]
12 [9.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PA's Prog Haters Poll No. 1
    Posted: October 05 2016 at 11:04
More fun negativity to enthrall the masses. Please pick the ones that you agree with and enjoy! Smile

Edited by SteveG - October 06 2016 at 09:55
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 12:03
As much as Steven Wilson is cursed to forever sound like a whiny adolescent (which is a good thing if you're making a concept album about being a whiny adolescent i.e. Fear of a Blank Planet), I have to defend banjos and accordions. Pauline Oliveros alone justifies the latter, and I'm pretty sure Sandy Bull played banjo, which would justify them as well. Every instrument has been used obnoxiously, don't knock the instrument for it. 

Personally, I'd love to hear an entire album of drums being thrown down stairs, perhaps occasionally punctuated by Zappa-esque fart noises. There's a decent chance it'd be more interesting than a decent amount of Steven Wilson's output LOL (but I kid)
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 12:29
Steve Wilson has probably bought his parents a very large house
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 12:34
Avant is for Fags.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 12:36
I want to listen to AOR all day, all night, all my life.

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 12:53
I don't hate prog, I just don't care for most of it.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 14:33
Swilson moved out of his parents' basement recently thanks to his ill gotten gains from Hand. Cannot. Erase., and now lives in a messy studio flat with his pet snake Lars and several small potted succulents.
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieRUKiddingVarese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 15:58
Liked the Zappa one (fart noises are always good and Zappa had plenty, particulary in the 80's) and Banjos and accordions are great always but had to choose Prog fans are burnouts that live in their parent's basement- because no one else had and it looked lonely............

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - October 06 2016 at 06:26
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 03:28
Only the last option makes some sense (note: I am not informed about SW's living circumstances and, as a matter of fact, I am not even remotely interested).

When I was in my teens, I considered myself the archetype of a prog fan, but I lived in the attic back then. We had no basement, so I give the first option another vote, tentatively. I spent quite a lot of time in basements in my ...er... student years.

I am saddled with a peculiar dislike against accordions. This dislike, however, does not reach out to concertinas and bandoneons.

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 04:15
The most famous french accordion's player : Yvette Horner. That instrument can kill Smile

Afficher limage dorigine
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2016 at 09:56
Yikes! How long has she been dead? Confused
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2016 at 01:45
I looked her up in the French section of Wikipedia. She is still alive and 94 years old.

Her looks remind me of someone from my pre-prog period: Pipo the Clown.
Pipo de Clown

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2016 at 05:37
Okay, so you never heard about Astor Piazzola? Yeah, Prog Fans really have a sh*tty musical knowledge (even more negativity in the thread!!!)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2016 at 07:03
In the Netherlands anyone who remembers the wedding of Alex and Máxima on 2 February 2002 has heard of Astor Piazzolla. His composition Adiós Nonino was played on that occasion by bandoneonist Carel Kraayenhof and it reached #2 in the Dutch Top 40.

Not easy to forget (and well worth a listen):

Edited by someone_else - October 07 2016 at 07:06
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2016 at 12:01
"Funny stuff!"
             - Johnny Carson
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2016 at 14:29
Because of the cost benefit, I like to simulate the sound of drum sets thrown down the stairs with (anonymous) fart sounds
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2016 at 14:48
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

And what do you call this pre-prog period of yours?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 08:16
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Because of the cost benefit, I like to simulate the sound of drum sets thrown down the stairs with (anonymous) fart sounds

just wait till the for the SWilson outtakes album.. which of course would  be voted PA's album of the year LOL

banjos and accordians man...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 09:25
Last option. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 16:43
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

And what do you call this pre-prog period of yours?

The years before 1972, when prog got its hooks in me. Pipo was a very well-known character in the 1960's and after.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>