Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQueen eh?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Queen eh?
    Posted: August 30 2005 at 03:03

...Then why not add toto? To very similar bands as they both:

Make pop songs that somtimes exceeds 5 minutes and with a rhytm diffrent than 4/4 and then counts as progressive.

Have really bad vocalists

Have guitarists that could go on forever while playing some boring guitar solo.

Have very unorginal lyrics or just plain dumb lyrics.

Is crap

con safo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 03:04
Welcome to 2 weeks ago!
Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 03:05
Yes yes i have not seen it before...but i still can't belivie it.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 03:28
Originally posted by maidenrulez maidenrulez wrote:

T[w]o very similar bands [Toto & Queen] as they both:

Freddie Mercury and Bobby Kimball are bad vocalists ?

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 03:29

Freddie Mercury, bad vocalist?????? 

I'm no big Fan of Queen, but I cant think of any rock vocalist who could sing as well as him. As for them being in the archives, I have my reservations too, but please try to recognise genuine musical skill when it jumps up and bites you so obviously on the arse.

Please dont try to argue that Bruce 'Air raid Siren' Dickinson is a better singer than Mercury..

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 03:38
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Freddie Mercury, bad vocalist?????? 

I'm no big Fan of Queen, but I cant think of any rock vocalist who could sing as well as him. As for them being in the archives, I have my reservations too, but please try to recognise genuine musical skill when it jumps up and bites you so obviously on the arse.

Please dont try to argue that Bruce 'Air raid Siren' Dickinson is a better singer than Mercury..

How can I disagree?
Freddie Mercury had an impressive range and was indeed one of the most versatile vocalists ever!
And his songwriting skills are hardly arguable.

As a matter of fact, I can't think of any other rock band in which every member penned at least one huge hit (apart from the obvious Mercury or May songs, we have Radio GaGa and A Kind of Magic by Roger Taylor and Another one bites the Dust and I want to break free by John Deacon)
A flower?

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 03:59
Again...
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 04:11

...Then why not add toto? To very similar bands as they both:

Make pop songs that somtimes exceeds 5 minutes and with a rhytm diffrent than 4/4 and then counts as progressive.

Have guitarists that could go on forever while playing some boring guitar solo.

Have very unorginal lyrics or just plain dumb lyrics.

Is crap

You have a lot to learn when you try to put Queen and Toto on the same level ... why don't you email Bruce and ask him what he thinks about Freddie Mercury's vocals? Or even better - email him your post and ask for comments ...

BTW: I don't like Toto, except for their brilliant album "Mindfields".

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 04:18

I generally don't like male vocalists who tries to sing like girls..sorry not my thing

And just because they have had major hits dont certainly mean that the music is good. The songwritings skills on any of the queen members in non present

Edited by maidenrulez
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 04:37

I generally don't like male vocalists who tries to sing like girls..sorry not my thing

And just because they have had major hits dont certainly mean that the music is good. The songwritings skills on any of the queen members in non present

You sir, are talking out of you arse. Thread ends here.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 04:38

You don't know anything about music, sorry. Only a completely uneducated person would say that. Ask ANYBODY who plays an instrument, they'll simply laugh at you. Or - as I suggested above - ask any of the musicians which you like, you'll always get the same answer.

Sorry if that sounds rude ... it's only the truth.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 04:40
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Oh please ive got 4 queen albums and the only song that is likable is Boheimian rhapsody and even that song is way silly. The rest of the classic songs like radio gaga, another one bites the dust and big bottomed girls is just plain plastic pop. Even abba was better.

Queen is crap and i rest my case. I don't mind pop but i need some kind of orginality

Edited by maidenrulez
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 04:41

Oh please ive got 4 queen albums and the only song that is likable is Boheimian rhapsody and even that song is way silly. The rest of the classic songs like radio gaga, another one bites the dust and big bottomed girls is just plain plastic pop. Even abba was better.

What albums might they be? Greatest Hits Volumes 1 to 4?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 04:46

I am pretty sure i have seen some compilation of the greatest hits but that where only 3 volumes? Anyway ive got Queen 2 and that eh a night at the opera thingie, jazz and that movie soundtrack album wich i cant remeber the name of

BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 04:47

Queen is crap and i rest my case. I don't mind pop but i need some kind of orginality

Try some of their earlier efforts (Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack): they are a worthwhile experience!
A flower?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 04:48

I am pretty sure i have seen some compilation of the greatest hits but that where only 3 volumes? Anyway ive got Queen 2 and that eh a night at the opera thingie, jazz and that movie soundtrack album wich i cant remeber the name of

Right-o. And you find NOTHING on them to suggest any kind of songwriting or instrumental skill? If that's really true and you're not just spitting petty prejudice then yes, I'm afraid you know bugger all about music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 04:52

Right-o. And you find NOTHING on them to suggest any kind of songwriting or instrumental skill? If that's really true and you're not just spitting petty prejudice then yes, I'm afraid you know bugger all about music.

I never said they where bad instrumentalists although i find brian may a bit overrated as a guitarist just as jimi hendrix. But i generally don't think they are good songwriters in terms of both lyrics, melodies and complex arrangements. I can barely hear anything in their music that i have not heard before

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 04:59

I never said they where bad instrumentalists although i find brian may a bit overrated as a guitarist just as jimi hendrix. But i generally don't think they are good songwriters in terms of both lyrics, melodies and complex arrangements. I can barely hear anything in their music that i have not heard before

The fact is, though, that Queen were amongst the first to do it at the time! And don't even dare suggest that Maiden's arrangements are more complex than Queen's!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 05:01

The fact is, though, that Queen were amongst the first to do it at the time! And don't even dare suggest that Maiden's arrangements are more complex than Queen's!

1.Maiden is not on the prog archvies.

2.Have you heard sign of the cross, sevneth son of a seventh son,rhyme of the ancient marnier?

Great stuff!!!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 05:02

1.Maiden is not on the prog archvies.

2.Have you heard sign of the cross, sevneth son of a seventh son,rhyme of the ancient marnier?

Great stuff!!!

1. I know.

2. The last two, yes. My brother's a big maiden fan and he's played them at me before now. I wasn't exactly bowled over.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>