Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQueen eh?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 06:55
Originally posted by maidenrulez maidenrulez wrote:

Originally posted by M. B. Zapelini M. B. Zapelini wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Well since queen suddenly is PROG then suddenly you have to compare their songwriting skills to other PROG artists. And they are fair enough composers compared to most rock/pop artists but compared to most PROG artists they lack quite a bit.

gee its fun writing PROG with big letters.

"Queen is PROG" ... noone said that. They're in the archives, filed under Art Rock. They were included because their early albums are considered PROG by the owners of the site and some influential members (and by me, incidentally). Nobody said that songs like We are the Champions or I Want to Break Free are PROG.

Calm down a little. I guess that if Iron Maiden were included, you wouldn't want to see Queen fans bashing Iron Maiden with silly arguments like "They are no more progressive than Manowar" or "Bruce Dickinson can't sing".

Great point, MikeEnRegalia. This Queen thread seems like an endless discussion. I don't like Queen, although I think they deserve a place right here at ProgArchives, as an Art Rock band. So what I usually do... I don´t visit their page at ProgArchive, I am not interested in what my fellow prog mates wrote about Queen. And PLEASE let's forget about Iron Maiden at ProgArchives - they are great heavy metal, probably the greatest heavy metal band of all time, but they're not prog. If you will judge by lenght of some songs (as "Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner" - a fantastic song, by the way), so Venom would be prog ("At war With Satan" has 20+ minutes)...

I did not say that i would like iron maiden included i just said that iron maiden are far more progresive than queen will ever be. And why i call the songs Rhyme of the ancient marnier for progressive i have clearly staded above. And not because of its lenght.

Sorry, Maidenrulez. Didn't read your quote about Rhyme...  Just a question: do you like Blaze's singing? I gave up Maiden when I heard this guy! NOW that Bruce is back I can hear to Maiden again

"He's a man of the past and one of the present"
PETER HAMMILL
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 07:58
I'm not a huge Queen fan but I must agree with most people here - they're great musicians and even The Beatles can't claim hits written by all 4 members (unless you include Octopus' Garden ).
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 08:15
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I'm not a huge Queen fan but I must agree with most people here - they're great musicians and even The Beatles can't claim hits written by all 4 members (unless you include Octopus' Garden ).

It appears on the 'blue' album that lists the major hits of the 1967-1970 period...but can it be considered a hit in itself?
Moreover...apart from it Ringo has written only one song (Don't pass me by on the White Album) during the Beatles period if we skip the anomalous three-guy collaboration on What goes on from Rubber Soul (the one and only Lennon/McCartney/Starkey credit ever appeared)
A flower?

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 08:16

Maiden were at their best on 'Killers' and 'Number of the Beast'

Their concept tracks thereafter were quite good, with the exception of Alexander the Great from 'Somewhere in Time' (??)

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 08:24
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Their concept tracks thereafter were quite good, with the exception of Alexander the Great from 'Somewhere in Time' (??)

I must raise an objection!
IMHO their peak was the Piece of Mind/Powerslave pair!
They started to weaken right after the world tour (even if I like Alexander the Great a good deal)
A flower?

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 08:29

IMO, Queen were a "progressive" band -- they got progressively crappier and more irritating after "Sheer heart Attack." Stern Smile

Wink

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 08:34
Originally posted by BiGi BiGi wrote:

I must raise an objection!
IMHO their peak was the Piece of Mind/Powerslave pair!
They started to weaken right after the world tour (even if I like Alexander the Great a good deal)

Overuled!!

Sorry, BiGi, but I thought 'Piece of Mind' in particular was awful, with the exception of 'Still Life' and one or two others. McBrains drumming was a real come down after Clive Burrs brutal precision on previous albums. Dickinson had began to warble and had apparently lost some strength in his voice. Songs like 'Sun & Steel' and 'Quest for fire' were terribly weak songs; the Iron Maiden idea of filler tracks IMO.

Powerslave was a little better, although I'll never forget feeling despair wash over me at the Hammersmith Odeon as they came on to 'Aces High' laughable lyrics, cliched riffs, all foot up on the monitor nonesense... You knew they were in decline, there were still people in the bar while they were on. That would have never happened on the 'Beast' tour

Apart from all that, they're excellent!

BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 08:43

Songs like 'Sun & Steel' and 'Quest for fire' were terribly weak songs; the Iron Maiden idea of filler tracks IMO.

Agreed...I don't particularly dig them too!
Quest for fire's only remarkable trait is featuring the highest note ever in a Maiden solo (I can't specify the very point...I had the tablature, but my former guitarist borrowed my book and never returned it... )
A flower?

Citanul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 09:17

On the subject of hits - Queen's album The Works had four singles, each written by a different band member, and each one made it into the top 20 (it might even have been the top 10, but I can't remember exactly). 

The only other band I can think of who might have had hits written by all the members is the Eagles, although I think they tended to collaborate rather that write the songs on their own.
Be or be not. There is no question. - Yoda, Prince of Denmark
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 09:51
Originally posted by Citanul Citanul wrote:

I'm not a huge Queen fan but I must agree with most
people here - they're great musicians and even The Beatles can't claim
hits written by all 4 members (unless you include Octopus' Garden ).

On the subject of hits - Queen's album <span style="font-style: italic;">The Works</span>
had four singles, each written by a different band member, and each one
made it into the top 20 (it might even have been the top 10, but I
can't remember exactly). 

The only other band I can think of who might have had hits written by
all the members is the Eagles, although I think they tended to
collaborate rather that write the songs on their own.

Actually the leading writing force was Don Henley/Glenn Frey.
I can't recall any Don Felder, Joe Walsh, Bernie Leadon or Randy Meisner-penned hit at the moment...
A flower?

porter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 10:03

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

I generally don't like male vocalists who tries to sing like girls..sorry not my thing

And just because they have had major hits dont certainly mean that the music is good. The songwritings skills on any of the queen members in non present

You sir, are talking out of you arse. Thread ends here.

Oh please ive got 4 queen albums and the only song that is likable is Boheimian rhapsody and even that song is way silly. The rest of the classic songs like radio gaga, another one bites the dust and big bottomed girls is just plain plastic pop. Even abba was better.

Queen is crap and i rest my case. I don't mind pop but i need some kind of orginality

HA HA HA!! this is really fun, I would suggest you to listen carefully to Mr. Steve Harris' bass lines: THEY ARE THE MO****F***IN' SAME ON EVRY MO****F***IN' SONG HE'S EVER WRITTEN...now WHO IS THE PLASTIC MUSICIAN? And more, if you think Queen don't have originality, you don't know WHAT originality IS, seriously.

"my kingdom for a horse!" (W. Shakespeare, "Richard III")
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 10:11
Originally posted by porter porter wrote:

HA HA HA!! this is really fun, I would suggest you to listen carefully to Mr. Steve Harris' bass lines: THEY ARE THE MO****F***IN' SAME ON EVRY MO****F***IN' SONG HE'S EVER WRITTEN...now WHO IS THE PLASTIC MUSICIAN? And more, if you think Queen don't have originality, you don't know WHAT originality IS, seriously.

Well, I would not put it that way...
Steve Harris is indeed an outstanding bass player, and an excellent composer.

I find Murray and Smith's guitar lines very recurrent from time to time instead...
A flower?

The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 10:12
I just noticed that "originality" jibe! What piffle!! Queen exude originality from every pore.
Citanul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 10:18

I'm not a huge Queen fan but I must agree with most
people here - they're great musicians and even The Beatles can't claim
hits written by all 4 members (unless you include Octopus' Garden ).

On the subject of hits - Queen's album <span style="font-style: italic;">The Works</span>
had four singles, each written by a different band member, and each one
made it into the top 20 (it might even have been the top 10, but I
can't remember exactly). 

The only other band I can think of who might have had hits written by
all the members is the Eagles, although I think they tended to
collaborate rather that write the songs on their own.

Actually the leading writing force was Don Henley/Glenn Frey.
I can't recall any Don Felder, Joe Walsh, Bernie Leadon or Randy Meisner-penned hit at the moment...

Yeah, you're right.  I checked on Wikipedia, and most of the hits were written by Henley and Frey, although everyone had a hand in the songwritng - Hotel California was written by Henley/Frey/Felder and Take it to the Limit was written by Meisner/Henley/Frey, and the other members wrote songs that weren't released as singles.

Still, I was trying to think of bands who might have had hits written by more than one member, and the Eagles came to mind, but I've been proved wrong. 

Iron Maiden can claim hits written by Steve Harris (Run to the Hills and others), Bruce Dickinson (Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter) and Adrian Smith (Wasted Years), but that's only 3 members.
Be or be not. There is no question. - Yoda, Prince of Denmark
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 10:28

Iron Maiden can claim hits written by Steve Harris (Run to the Hills
and others), Bruce Dickinson (Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter) and
Adrian Smith (Wasted Years), but that's only 3 members.

Bring your daughter to the slaughter a hit???
Where?

Anyway, Flash of the blade was written by Dickinson and might be known better than the others because if I recall correctly it was included in a Dario Argento movie soundtrack...
A flower?

porter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 10:34

Well, I would not put it that way...
Steve Harris is indeed an outstanding bass player, and an excellent composer.

I find Murray and Smith's guitar lines very recurrent from time to time instead...

you're right, Steve is great at bass, it's just that he always sounds the same to my ears....in his songs the bass line is just the same in evry one he's written, i'm not kidding; I've had some ugly rows in the past with some friends of mine who were oturaged by this theory; but it's true! Try to compare "The trooper" with "Caught somewhere in time" with "The rhyme..." with "Out of the silent planet" with "Alexander the great" with...should i go on? Same 3 notes all the time.....

anyway, I agree that he has a great sound, original style, etc.

"my kingdom for a horse!" (W. Shakespeare, "Richard III")
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 10:44

Well, I would not put it that way... Steve Harris is indeed an outstanding bass player, and an excellent composer. I find Murray and Smith's guitar lines very recurrent from time to time instead...

you're right, Steve is great at bass, it's just that he always sounds the same to my ears....in his songs the bass line is just the same in evry one he's written, i'm not kidding; I've had some ugly rows in the past with some friends of mine who were oturaged by this theory; but it's true! Try to compare "The trooper" with "Caught somewhere in time" with "The rhyme..." with "Out of the silent planet" with "Alexander the great" with...should i go on? Same 3 notes all the time.....

anyway, I agree that he has a great sound, original style, etc.

Hmmm...never paid so much attention...I will try!
Thanks for the tip!

Anyway, as you said, the result is great!
A flower?

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 11:12

Iron Maiden can claim hits written by Steve Harris (Run to the Hills
and others), Bruce Dickinson (Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter) and
Adrian Smith (Wasted Years), but that's only 3 members.

Bring your daughter to the slaughter a hit???
Where?

Anyway, Flash of the blade was written by Dickinson and might be known better than the others because if I recall correctly it was included in a Dario Argento movie soundtrack...

It was a hit here in the UK. I think it even made number 1 in the charts. If I remember rightly it was released at a time of year when the artist needed relativly few sales to make the top spot. It was all done as a bit of a joke, but it turned a few heads!

Can anyone confirm when it was at the top and for how long??

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 11:39
I'm sure you're right - I remember hearing it on the radio a lot. I'll look it up in my book of hit singles tonight.
Tony Fisher View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 13:18

Queen made some fine music, though not prog, IMO. Mercury was not that great live as he had very prominent front teeth which gave him a pronounced lisp live. Clearly, they could engineer this out in recorded material and he was a great frontman.

I can't understand the sniping at Toto. I have their live album and it is sensational. The musicianship is top notch and they had some great songs. Steve Lukather handled the vocals as well as the guitar and did a fine job. Very proggish in parts but a bit too commercial for some.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>