Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQueen eh?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 15:27

you don't know anything about music if you think that maiden have more complex arrangements!!!!you told that mercury is a bad singer and bohemian rhapsody a sily song....

What are you doing in the Archives anyway?

Proglover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 16:04
Originally posted by maidenrulez maidenrulez wrote:

...Then why not add toto? To very similar bands as they both:

Make pop songs that somtimes exceeds 5 minutes and with a rhytm diffrent than 4/4 and then counts as progressive.

Have really bad vocalists

Have guitarists that could go on forever while playing some boring guitar solo.

Have very unorginal lyrics or just plain dumb lyrics.

Is crap

I think by now the whole world knows how I feel on this issue. Let me say this, anyone who does not atleast recognize the compositional skills of Freddie Mercury is a musical MORON!!!!!!!!..............Lyrics unoriginal??????...........ummmm not so much my friend.

Queen is any BUT crap. And for the record....there is a difference between RHYTHM (which by the way you spelt WRONG) and meter....which is what you meant to say. Anyone who doesn't know the difference between RHYTHM and METER but then HAS THE NERVE to turn around and criticize the musical credibility of Queen is an idiot.

And for the record, while odd and mixed time signatures are indeed a part of prog rock, just because a song is in an odd meter does not in anyway make it PROG.

It's over people...GET OVER IT....Queen is on the site.....PERIOD!

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 16:04
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by BiGi BiGi wrote:

Originally posted by Citanul Citanul wrote:

Iron Maiden can claim hits written by Steve Harris (Run to the Hills
and others), Bruce Dickinson (Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter) and
Adrian Smith (Wasted Years), but that's only 3 members.

Bring your daughter to the slaughter a hit???
Where?

Anyway, Flash of the blade was written by Dickinson and might be known better than the others because if I recall correctly it was included in a Dario Argento movie soundtrack...

It was a hit here in the UK. I think it even made number 1 in the charts. If I remember rightly it was released at a time of year when the artist needed relativly few sales to make the top spot. It was all done as a bit of a joke, but it turned a few heads!

Can anyone confirm when it was at the top and for how long??

Blacksword you are correct. It was reached number one in January 1991 for 2 weeks and was in the charts for 5 weeks. Strangely enough, Queen were number one a few weeks later with "Innuendo".
porter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 10:10
Originally posted by Proglover Proglover wrote:

Make pop songs that somtimes exceeds 5 minutes and with a rhytm diffrent than 4/4 and then counts as progressive.

Is crap

I think by now the whole world knows how I feel on this issue. Let me say this, anyone who does not atleast recognize the compositional skills of Freddie Mercury is a musical MORON!!!!!!!!..............Lyrics unoriginal??????...........ummmm not so much my friend.

Queen is any BUT crap.

Thank you, proglover!!!

"my kingdom for a horse!" (W. Shakespeare, "Richard III")
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 10:28
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Iron Maiden can claim hits written by Steve Harris (Run to the Hills
and others), Bruce Dickinson (Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter) and
Adrian Smith (Wasted Years), but that's only 3 members.

Bring your daughter to the slaughter a hit???
Where?

Anyway, Flash of the blade was written by Dickinson and might be known better than the others because if I recall correctly it was included in a Dario Argento movie soundtrack...

It was a hit here in the UK. I think it even made number 1 in the charts. If I remember rightly it was released at a time of year when the artist needed relativly few sales to make the top spot. It was all done as a bit of a joke, but it turned a few heads!

Can anyone confirm when it was at the top and for how long??

Blacksword you are correct. It was reached number one in January 1991 for 2 weeks and was in the charts for 5 weeks. Strangely enough, Queen were number one a few weeks later with "Innuendo".

Wow quite a good month for rock in the UK!

Its all coming back to me now. Iron Maiden released the single just after Christmas, thats when its easiest to hit No 1.

Innuendo was a brilliant Queen song, and really quite prog I thought. Was it arguably the last/ only prog rock song to hit the top spot in the UK??

Discuss!

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 03:25

I'm not a huge Queen fan but I must agree with most
people here - they're great musicians and even The Beatles can't claim
hits written by all 4 members (unless you include Octopus' Garden ).

On the subject of hits - Queen's album <span style="font-style: italic;">The Works</span>
had four singles, each written by a different band member, and each one
made it into the top 20 (it might even have been the top 10, but I
can't remember exactly). 

The only other band I can think of who might have had hits written by
all the members is the Eagles, although I think they tended to
collaborate rather that write the songs on their own.

I've got it!!!!
The answer was so huge and big that I could not see it!!!

The only other group who had hits credited to other members than the main writers is THE BEATLES!!!
As a matter of fact, Something and Here comes the sun (the first got many covers, also by crooners, and the second gets a fair amount of airplay still nowadays) both written by George Harrison!
A flower?

Citanul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 03:52

I'm not a huge Queen fan but I must agree with most
people here - they're great musicians and even The Beatles can't claim
hits written by all 4 members (unless you include Octopus' Garden ).

On the subject of hits - Queen's album <span style="font-style: italic;">The Works</span>
had four singles, each written by a different band member, and each one
made it into the top 20 (it might even have been the top 10, but I
can't remember exactly). 

The only other band I can think of who might have had hits written by
all the members is the Eagles, although I think they tended to
collaborate rather that write the songs on their own.

I've got it!!!!
The answer was so huge and big that I could not see it!!!

The only other group who had hits credited to other members than the main writers is THE BEATLES!!!
As a matter of fact, Something and Here comes the sun (the first got many covers, also by crooners, and the second gets a fair amount of airplay still nowadays) both written by George Harrison!

The Beatles were already mentioned - read the quote of chopper's comment.

Innuendo was a brilliant Queen song, and really quite prog I thought. Was it arguably the last/ only prog rock song to hit the top spot in the UK??

Discuss!

It's not the only prog song to hit number one - Bohemian Rhapsody was also number one.  It was also re-released after Freddie Mercury's death, reaching number one again (in fact it has the distinction of being number one in four different years, as both times it was number one in December and January).  So that would probably make Bohemian Rhapsody the last prog song to get to number one.  I'm not sure about other prog number ones - Radiohead's Paranoid Android might be a possibility.  Did that get to number one?
Be or be not. There is no question. - Yoda, Prince of Denmark
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 04:13

I'm not a huge Queen fan but I must agree with most people here - they're great musicians and even The Beatles can't claim hits written by all 4 members (unless you include Octopus' Garden ).

As far as I can see chopper did only state that the Beatles could not claim hits penned by EACH OF THE FOUR MEMBERS...this consideration could apply to the majority of the foursomes!!!
IMHO I said something slightly different: that actually the Beatles had hits composed by a non-main-writer member.

That said, peace & love to everybody!
A flower?

Citanul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 05:02

I'm not a huge Queen fan but I must agree with most people here - they're great musicians and even The Beatles can't claim hits written by all 4 members (unless you include Octopus' Garden ).

As far as I can see chopper did only state that the Beatles could not claim hits penned by EACH OF THE FOUR MEMBERS...this consideration could apply to the majority of the foursomes!!!
IMHO I said something slightly different: that actually the Beatles had hits composed by a non-main-writer member.

That said, peace & love to everybody!

OK, I see what you meant.  It was just that you included chopper's quote, which confused me slightly. 

When you think about it, Queen didn't really have main songwriters in the way that other bands do.  It's true that Mercury and May composed more songs than Taylor and Deacon, but the latter two also made a significant contribution.  It wasn't a case of just letting them have one or two songs per album as it seemed to happen with the Beatles and George Harrison (or the Who and John Entwistle).
Be or be not. There is no question. - Yoda, Prince of Denmark
samuel.jeronimo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 08:08

Is crap

Do you really think so?

PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 08:56
Queen is PROG POP.
CYMRU AM BYTH
BePinkTheater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 12:20

Queen is not prog, im sorry.

I love queen, they're one of my all time favourite bands. everything about them is unbelivable, but they are not prog.

they are classic rock alot of innovative ideas, but they are not prog

I can strangle a canary in a tin can and it would be really original, but that wouldn't save it from sounding like utter sh*t.
-Stone Beard
erlenst View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 12:51

If you compare the first maiden album to forexample dance of death you would have to be deaf no to hear that the music has not evolved? The music is still good ol heavy metal but with some nice symphonic elements compined with some more complex arrangements, truly great.

I guess most that think maiden have only heard the 80's maiden...a shame really.

And although a bit vague i wanted to point out that TOTO is equally proggish to QUEEN not that i want any of the bands on this page...

I would agree with you on your points about Maiden.  However, you said that Toto and Queen were both similar in prog terms because they had dumb lyrics, boring guitar solos, bad singers and were crap.  Hardly an objective, convincing argument.

Well i guess i wanted to bash both of them at the same time HOWEVER i think that both toto and queen got progressive elements in some of their songs but that they mainly concentrate on making pop and that is what i hate about both these bands. Ofcourse you can say that indeed yes and genesis and even jethro tull have not all been progressive all the way through i would like to think that they where remebered for their progressive efforts rather than their pop efforts. With toto and queen it is the other way around i would say 90 percent of all their music is using very simple song structures and that holds no interest to me at all.

And i still think that both bands have horrible vocals because of the singing way high notes that would normally be sung by women. I think too many male vocalists is trying to reach high notes and that annoys me quite a bit.

HAHAHAHAHA. I am sorry if this sounds rude, but you are incredibly stupid! You don't like male vocalists trying to reach high notes? Yet STILL you love Bruce Dickinson. The difference between Mercury, (and by the way, a LOT of other prog vocalists - ever heard Jon Anderson) and Dickinson is that Mercury actually can reach the high notes without making it sound like an "air raid siren"
Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 12:56
Originally posted by erlenst erlenst wrote:

If you compare the first maiden album to forexample dance of death you would have to be deaf no to hear that the music has not evolved? The music is still good ol heavy metal but with some nice symphonic elements compined with some more complex arrangements, truly great.

I guess most that think maiden have only heard the 80's maiden...a shame really.

And although a bit vague i wanted to point out that TOTO is equally proggish to QUEEN not that i want any of the bands on this page...

I would agree with you on your points about Maiden.  However, you said that Toto and Queen were both similar in prog terms because they had dumb lyrics, boring guitar solos, bad singers and were crap.  Hardly an objective, convincing argument.

Well i guess i wanted to bash both of them at the same time HOWEVER i think that both toto and queen got progressive elements in some of their songs but that they mainly concentrate on making pop and that is what i hate about both these bands. Ofcourse you can say that indeed yes and genesis and even jethro tull have not all been progressive all the way through i would like to think that they where remebered for their progressive efforts rather than their pop efforts. With toto and queen it is the other way around i would say 90 percent of all their music is using very simple song structures and that holds no interest to me at all.

And i still think that both bands have horrible vocals because of the singing way high notes that would normally be sung by women. I think too many male vocalists is trying to reach high notes and that annoys me quite a bit.

HAHAHAHAHA. I am sorry if this sounds rude, but you are incredibly stupid! You don't like male vocalists trying to reach high notes? Yet STILL you love Bruce Dickinson. The difference between Mercury, (and by the way, a LOT of other prog vocalists - ever heard Jon Anderson) and Dickinson is that Mercury actually can reach the high notes without making it sound like an "air raid siren"

Ah that is mainly Martin Birch fault pressing bruce dickison to do all those stuff on the number of the beast. BUT if you listen to bruce's solo stuff you can hear him sing like he himself feels is natural and i think that comes out alot better. And it can also be heard on the Kevin Shirley albums that his way of singing has improved a great deal

noisegenerator View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 13:32

Discuss!

I think Innuendo was number one in the UK in January or February 1991. I dont know it exactly.

The single was released shortly before the album release of the same name. Bohemian Rhapsody hit number one again in December 1991.

Innuendo is a great track. After their 80īs pop decade they returend with some more inventive tracks.  Sadly, Freddie passed away a few months later.

I still believe that a lot of their early stuff gets much too overlooked. And many people reduce the band to their pop hits, and reduce the band to just one member. (Queen=Freddie, rest is background band). Both is wrong i would say. 

So they are already on the site now. We should get on with it. They made some great early albums too and that (probably) deserves to be mentioned under the Art-Rock Section. I agree that they havenīt a full prog album in their catalogue, bute quite a few songs that should be mentioned on a reputable prog site.

ROCK FORUM: "Please move the Queen thread to the Pop section"

POP FORUM: "Please move the Queen thread to the Rock section"

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 16:40

Ah that is mainly Martin Birch fault pressing bruce dickison to do all those stuff on the number of the beast. BUT if you listen to bruce's solo stuff you can hear him sing like he himself feels is natural and i think that comes out alot better. And it can also be heard on the Kevin Shirley albums that his way of singing has improved a great deal

Number of the Beast is their best album IMO

It's good honest solid metal!

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
erlenst View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 16:54

Actually I love Maiden as well. Although from time to time, I have some problems with Dickinson's voice. But anyway, the point is : your point abourtFreddy Mercury's  voice is utterly laughable and you really should take it back if you don't want to ble labeled tonedeaf the rest of your progarchives-life It really was a terribly stupid thing to say! But of course, everyone makes mistakes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234