Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow much time is important in music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much time is important in music?
    Posted: October 11 2016 at 16:03
I like to propose a discussion, How much time is important for the music? When i discover a new album, usually i search for the track list, and I see that it's one of those albums with 10 short songs between 3 ~ 5 minutes i usually pass and not listen to the album.

But if i found a album with a long track I always give a chance and listen to that. 

The current music tend more and more to become shorter. This is important to you in time to hear an album?
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2016 at 16:27
Generally, there is no single length of time by which a song must adhere; some of my favorite albums feature 30-40 minute epics while others are comprised of 1-2 minute vignettes. A song should simply be as lengthy as the music calls for. Albums with only 3-5 minute songs can be concerning not because of the length involved, but because that often (certainly not always) indicates that the songs stick to a certain formula of songwriting, particularly in pop music. In other words, the musicians are composing and recording for billboard success, not for musical quality. Again, clear exceptions exist, but even those phenomenal few artists that can pull off "normal" length tracks (Gentle Giant, perhaps Kate Bush) are generally so good that it becomes abundantly clear why most other artists fail to create proper music within a limited amount of time. I used to only get albums with songs of a certain length, but I do avoid that now, mainly because I don't listen entirely to prog. There's lots of great music that you'd deny yourself if you were unwilling to listen to tracks under 7 minutes. Only two of my favorite five albums have tracks that hit ten minutes long. Likewise, I've listened to a great deal of mediocre music stretched out into 10-20 minute songs to create a false sense of being epic or ambitious. Great music can be any length of time, bad music can be any length of time, lazy formulaic pop music is generally 3-5 minutes. 
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2016 at 16:37
Being one of those who finds so much to love in so many different kinds and flavours of music, I'm of the understanding that all sorts of song lengths are wonderful so long as used well. For instance, Guided By Voices managed to put so much emotion and grooviness into microsongs under two minutes in length that fulfill for their niche what the great prog epics ~20 minutes and beyond do for the ones we here revel in. And there are a few great metal and electronic cuts an hour long, not to mention ragas.

It is interesting to see an OP going from the opposite angle than we're used to hearing, where we have to defend our suites before those who stick too closely to standard and shorter lengths.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2016 at 16:47
I would suggest there are far more great 3-5 minute songs than there are great 10 minute+ long songs. The amount of time in a composition is irrelevant to how good it is.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2016 at 17:19
Length does not matter, music quality yes. 
Long live Progresive music!
Kaucz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2016 at 17:31
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Generally, there is no single length of time by which a song must adhere; some of my favorite albums feature 30-40 minute epics while others are comprised of 1-2 minute vignettes. A song should simply be as lengthy as the music calls for. Albums with only 3-5 minute songs can be concerning not because of the length involved, but because that often (certainly not always) indicates that the songs stick to a certain formula of songwriting, particularly in pop music. In other words, the musicians are composing and recording for billboard success, not for musical quality. Again, clear exceptions exist, but even those phenomenal few artists that can pull off "normal" length tracks (Gentle Giant, perhaps Kate Bush) are generally so good that it becomes abundantly clear why most other artists fail to create proper music within a limited amount of time. I used to only get albums with songs of a certain length, but I do avoid that now, mainly because I don't listen entirely to prog. There's lots of great music that you'd deny yourself if you were unwilling to listen to tracks under 7 minutes. Only two of my favorite five albums have tracks that hit ten minutes long. Likewise, I've listened to a great deal of mediocre music stretched out into 10-20 minute songs to create a false sense of being epic or ambitious. Great music can be any length of time, bad music can be any length of time, lazy formulaic pop music is generally 3-5 minutes. 

This is interesting, but looking to top 10 albuns in Prog Archives we see all albums with 10+ minutes song. The only exception is for Dark Side of the Moon, but the entire album is pratically one music with multiple parts.

Gentle Giant is a band that i hear, and their musics are beautiful and well built. But most of the songs have more than 5 minutes. Maybe 5 minutes is the time for a well construct music. I hear several 3 minutes songs, and even if they are good they could have evolved better music to be perfect. It always seems that something is missing. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2016 at 17:53
When I started to get into prog as a teenager I always looked for the long 7+ or better 10+ minutes tracks. My relation with them has become more troubled though when I became older. Many of them are too long, I think now. Some do not have enough substance to fill the time, some have mixed together some bits the best of which should have been trusted to carry a shorter song on their own. The main culprit is myself... as young amateur musician I did long things that were surely too long (although there are exceptions, some of these are bearable Cool to this day).
That's not to say that there aren't any left that I still love and that justify their length. And of course some time is needed to build an atmosphere or to create a space in which something rich can happen.
When I now listen to some things like Tubular Bells or 70s Tangerine Dream, I long for the times when people had so much time and were so relaxed and wouldn't feel the compulsion to go for something completely different any few moments.

fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2016 at 18:11
Exactly! Specially the last sentence, Pink Floyd's Echoes is probably their best song overall.
Long live Progresive music!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2016 at 18:24
Depends on the genre really. Most prog, excepting the more eclectic and experimental material, tends to do better in lengthier tracks or overall-continuous albums. Drone, ambient, free improvisation, krautrock and so on all generally work far better in lengthier tracks as well. On the other hand, punk, hip-hop, various subgenres of rock, and all the other genres that nobody here would ever admit are any good can and should be restricted to briefer tracks (generally speaking). If the music is based on atmosphere, you need length. If the music is based on energy, particularly of an abrasive or outgoing nature, briefer tracks are generally best. Exceptional composers and players can openly defy any of this with natural talent and artistic vision. Here's a 4 minute song that I find more intricate and fascinating than most 15 minute songs:

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 02:21
Originally posted by fredyair fredyair wrote:

I agree. I used to get excited when I saw a band was releasing a 20 minute epic but not so much now. After all, a long song is just short songs stuck together.
ColonelClaypool View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 02:31

As written above, length does not matter. There's loads of fantastic music out there that clock in at less than 3 minutes long. This is just one example (stoner/blues rock, not prog). Awesome track.
With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince.
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 04:54
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by fredyair fredyair wrote:

I agree. I used to get excited when I saw a band was releasing a 20 minute epic but not so much now. After all, a long song is just short songs stuck together.

Yeah, a good example is Supper's Ready. Unfinished numbers stuck together. Rutherford said it was easier to do extended works "you just keep going" than actual songs.

Lots to listen out for in shorter songs as well as the long stuff. Sometimes blink and you miss them cues from someone to go into a chorus can be just that nice little riff to appreciate as well as the density of say CTTE - which by the way had a single extraced (I Getp And Down or whatever). Sucked as a single imo.

Extended works gave rock a seriousness much needed and someone was forever trying to cut things down to size.

If a work is 40 minutes and works that way then editing it for radio consumption just gives a wrong view of the piece.

One odd example of both a good single and a skewed view of a larger work (probably non prog but art rock) example is Gary Numan's song Cars. Always liked it and finally heard the album and realized the song is taken out of it's context. Yes it works just fine by itself but on the album fits in like a piece in a jig saw puzzle.

Heh. Unless bands do it themselves. How about the Tull "edits" of TAAB... apparently too difficult to do the whole thing live.
Lewa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 06:04

This is a really good point, I think.

When considering an album, I usually look for variety in song lengths. Songs lengths that are very similar can be a sign for formularic songs.

In my experience, it does not necessarily matter whether all of the songs are 10 minutes or all are 3 minutes long. An album with songs and that range  from 4 minutes to 12 minutes, is usually a more interesting album in my opinion. (There are always exceptions of course.)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 07:58
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I would suggest there are far more great 3-5 minute songs than there are great 10 minute+ long songs. The amount of time in a composition is irrelevant to how good it is.

I agree. Sometimes a song is way to long and it looses it's meaning. Most prog fans like long pieces (epics as they are known) and tend to treat the shorter ones as "Fillers" and not very important, but I have found many short pieces quite interesting, enjoyable and well written, so at this time in my life, I just enjoy the music I like, for my very personal reasons, not giving much importance to the length of the song, if it's "proggy" enough, etc. If l like it, l'll listen to it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 10:31
Generally, there seems to be a consensus that song length doesn't particularly matter with regards to quality (meaning great songs can potentially be just about any length of time). How about album length? In order to be great enough to be one of your favorite albums? For me, the shortest they can generally get is 30 minutes. There are a couple really good 20 minute EP's I have, and my main problem with them is a lack of content. On the other end of the spectrum, is there an album length that's just too much? I tend to start tapping out at roughly two-and-a-half hours.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 11:43

Generally, there seems to be a consensus that song length doesn't particularly matter with regards to quality (meaning great songs can potentially be just about any length of time). How about album length? In order to be great enough to be one of your favorite albums? For me, the shortest they can generally get is 30 minutes. There are a couple really good 20 minute EP's I have, and my main problem with them is a lack of content. On the other end of the spectrum, is there an album length that's just too much? I tend to start tapping out at roughly two-and-a-half hours.

Yeah, I'd say that 30-35 minutes is about the minimum length of what I'd consider a very strong album. The only real examples I can think of that I really like that are that short are a few RPI ones, like Storia Di Un Minuto and Quella Vecchia Locanda

As far as the upper limits on album length, I usually get disinterested around 55 minutes if the music is stylistically similar throughout, though there are some exceptions that go on for much longer that I can't get enough of (Tales From Topographic Oceans, L'Heptade, any of the Arco Iris double albums).
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 12:08
Indeed, Time is very important in music, a time to be born, a time to die; a time to plant, a time to reap...
Er, wait, I get a bit confused...
But, yeah, you got the idea: at somes times, you feel like listening to, y'see, this Pink Floyd mega box set of 52 CD; other times, you just wanna listen to this split EP with Napalm Death's "You Suffer" (0'01') and Electro Hippies' "Mega Armageddon Death Pt. 3" (0'01')
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 12:39
If anything, a shorter albums are often better; 3 of my 5 favorite prog albums are under 40 minutes. Most of my overall favorite albums aren't from the last 20 years, but not because music is getting worse, but purely because groups are generally expected to provide more content. So you're left with these monstrous 70 minute albums which are pretty good, but if cut down to the best 40 minutes, could be utterly fantastic. For every great 70+ minute album I own, there's probably 5-10 albums that are less than 50, something most modern artists apparently aren't allowed to do anymore. If Gentle Giant had been forced to record 60+ minutes of material for every album, they would have made far more generic and mediocre work than their great work could justify. Then of course, you have releases of older albums that insist on inundating you with pointless bonus materials, but that's another topic altogether. 

The longer the work, the more skilled the artist needs to be. Most films shouldn't surpass 3 hours. Most novels shouldn't surpass 500 pages. And most albums shouldn't surpass an hour. 

There are countless great instances of each being done successfully, but it takes a level of artistry not found all that commonly. My concern isn't with attention spans, but with maintaining a certain level of quality. The more content that you have to incorporate into the work, the greater the chance that the disparate elements of the work are not properly unified. Lots of classic groups recorded more than they released, and they're known now because they only used their best material. That's increasingly less of an option, so we're left with potentially great artists stretched beyond their limitations (even as their talents may surpass those of the original "greats") 
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 13:00
The longer the work, the more skilled the artist needs to be.

I did not know that.

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 14:15
^ Yeah, that'll put Bashō right in his place then LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>