Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPFM Discography

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: PFM Discography
    Posted: October 12 2016 at 10:34
So PFM is one of my favourite rock bands, but I only own 3 of their albums (Per Un Amico, Storia Di Un Minuto and L'Isola Di Niente). 

Are any of their other albums worth buying? Also, my knowledge of RPI being fairly limited (I own albums by Banco, Museo Rosenbach, Le Orme and PFM), I'd greatly appreciate it if you had suggestions for foreign albums/artists that I could like given my appreciation of PFM.

Thanks a lot!
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 11:38
I think the three PFM ones you already own are about the cream of the crop for their discography. After those three they started writing primarily in English and took a more commercial direction, so their other 70's albums aren't usually considered among the best of RPI, but I'm sure that others will be able to point you towards the better stuff from albums like Chocolate Kings and Jet Lag

The only other PFM album that I'd highly recommend would be their 2006 all-instrumental album, Stati Di Immaginazione, which I feel captures all the beauty and splendour that they had in their original classic run:

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 11:56
Sė. Stati di immaginazione, still an incredible album from 2006. "Cyber Alpha" is right there. Just revisited after many years. What a fantastic record it is  Big smile Prego.

Franco Mussida, Patrick Djivas, Franz Di Cioccio

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - October 14 2016 at 11:17
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 22:43
Stati is a wonderful album. I also like AD2010 La Buona Novella and In Classico. From the 70s I think Chocolate Kings is as good as L'isola. Jet Lag takes them in a completely new jazz direction.

As for others? There are dozens of RPI artists to recommend. Maybe start with Celeste or Locanda delle Fate, if you like the delicate side. Or Quella Vecchia Locanda second album. The other two of the Big Three are amazing as well, though they sound different from PFM. Banco and Let Orme are very keyboard and vocal heavy with less emphasis on guitar.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 20:51
Banco is a very different beast than PFM, but I just remembered one little song from them that I really love that may appeal to fans of PFM, "La notte e'piena" from the album "Come in un'ultima cena".
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2016 at 11:19
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Banco is a very different beast than PFM, but I just remembered one little song from them that I really love that may appeal to fans of PFM, "La notte e'piena" from the album "Come in un'ultima cena".
Thumbs Up Another fantastic album indeed. Grazie !
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 02:26
I managed (largely by accident) to get L'Isola D'Niente and it's evil twin The World Became The World. Per Un Amico, Chocolate Kings, Storia Di Un Minuto lurk in the pile of music formats somewhere. Until I found prog rock fora however I didn't realize I was not supposed to like Passpartu. It's sung in Italian so therefore authentic and not evil. I think the reason I am not supposed to like it is that it is not symphonic rock (aka prog) but Italian flavoured Latin based jazz inflected rock with sun shining through it's soul.

Being web based fora with moderators (censors) who frowned on anything controversial in case discussion, (heated) debate and diatribes ensued I was not able to discuss the lyrics (which are in Italian) and the illustrations of terrorists. I had merely wondered what it was all about.

Anyway, taken at musical value (face value for me as my Italian is limited). Nice album and recommended. I think it's closest relation might be something from Santana.

Plus it's good  to hear a band not stereotyped or typecast to playing the prog style of disco/ rap /punk /pop  for which this style is justly infamous.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 03:28
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

I managed (largely by accident) to get L'Isola D'Niente and it's evil twin The World Became The World. Per Un Amico, Chocolate Kings, Storia Di Un Minuto lurk in the pile of music formats somewhere. Until I found prog rock fora however I didn't realize I was not supposed to like Passpartu. It's sung in Italian so therefore authentic and not evil. I think the reason I am not supposed to like it is that it is not symphonic rock (aka prog) but Italian flavoured Latin based jazz inflected rock with sun shining through it's soul.

Being web based fora with moderators (censors) who frowned on anything controversial in case discussion, (heated) debate and diatribes ensued I was not able to discuss the lyrics (which are in Italian) and the illustrations of terrorists. I had merely wondered what it was all about.

Anyway, taken at musical value (face value for me as my Italian is limited). Nice album and recommended. I think it's closest relation might be something from Santana.

Plus it's good  to hear a band not stereotyped or typecast to playing the prog style of disco/ rap /punk /pop  for which this style is justly infamous.

When people mix politics into music things just get damn boring. Politics tries ruin everything beautiful created by man. But not art, music in particular. Man cannot ruin everything, that alone proves existence of forces above humans. Thank gods (heh, quite a funny expression). Big smile

Anyway, Iīve known PFM and RPI for 15 years now, and instantly fell in love with that beautiful genre. A few years back I read that PFM were supporting POL in the 70īs. That made my eyebrows move a bit, but I never give a damn to politics, be it commies or nazis. And another Italian band were left wing, AREA a POPular international group. What a brilliant and funny "moniker". Well, Demetrio Stratos was an intellectual, and a brilliant musician in the first place. RIP. I respect him alot but I personally hate everything Marx stands for but donīt give a damn really. 
Museo Rosenbach was accused for nazism about their masterpiece "Zarathustra", from 1973. Well, thatīs a load of BS. Friedrich Nietzsche was not a "nazi" just another intellectual. Actually his idea is that the common man can rise to higher things spiritually if he is willing to do so. Free will is everyoneīs right to to grow as a thinking being.
And as for Italian language, I hardly understand a word of it but it doesnīt mean a thing. Itīs totally irrelevant for me personally what their lyrics are all about. The music, and music alone matters. Which is quite incredible mostly. Thank gods for Italians Cool

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - October 16 2016 at 04:53
NothingHill View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 13:11
The PFM english albums are great.
They were joined by Aqua Fragile's singer Bernardo Lanzetti.
He has an amazing voice.
He's an unsung hero of Italian Progressive Rock.
Both Aqua Fragile's albums are reissude by Esoteric and are absolutely woth all the money!
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 13:34
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 22:23
Jet Lag.
lostrom
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 02:36
Originally posted by NothingHill NothingHill wrote:

He has an amazing voice.
Both Aqua Fragile's albums are reissude by Esoteric and are absolutely woth all the money!
That's funny - Bernardo Lanzetti is the main reason I find Aqua Fragile and PFM's Chocolate Kings + Jetlag unlistenable. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 04:51
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by NothingHill NothingHill wrote:

He has an amazing voice.
That's funny - Bernardo Lanzetti is the main reason I find Aqua Fragile and PFM's Chocolate Kings + Jetlag unlistenable. 

I still listen "Chocolate Kings" occasionally but sold "Jetlag" years ago. Sold "Mass Media Stars" too. Funny, I dinīt remember he was there... is "Jetlag" worth revisiting, from its instrumental part... it is rock/jazz fusion ?

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - October 22 2016 at 06:08
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 15:27
I'd recommend 'Cook' as well, an excellent live album.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 10:30
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

I think the three PFM ones you already own are about the cream of the crop for their discography. After those three they started writing primarily in English and took a more commercial direction, so their other 70's albums aren't usually considered among the best of RPI, but I'm sure that others will be able to point you towards the better stuff from albums like Chocolate Kings and Jet Lag

The only other PFM album that I'd highly recommend would be their 2006 all-instrumental album, Stati Di Immaginazione, which I feel captures all the beauty and splendour that they had in their original classic run:

Actually they didn't start writing in English.  Pete Sinfield did English lyics for them.  I don't think I would have gotten into them without that.  Having said that I also enjoy the Italian versions and I really don't get the snobbery towards the English versions.  I highly recommend the Japan DVD and the fairly recent Stati Di Immagizone...

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2016 at 07:06
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

So PFM is one of my favourite rock bands, but I only own 3 of their albums (Per Un Amico, Storia Di Un Minuto and L'Isola Di Niente). 

Are any of their other albums worth buying? Also, my knowledge of RPI being fairly limited (I own albums by Banco, Museo Rosenbach, Le Orme and PFM), I'd greatly appreciate it if you had suggestions for foreign albums/artists that I could like given my appreciation of PFM.

Thanks a lot!

minus the other suggestions... which yes.. you should get. I do strongly recommend the two Fabrizio di Andre/PFM albums.

frickin 6 star fabulous man..Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2016 at 08:32
"Jet Lag" is well worth hearing if you are a fusion fan.... It has some very nine moments combining fusion with more splashes of color, not so dry.  If you are more interested in RPI than Fusion, and don't have unlimited resources, then I'd say shift your focus to other RPI bands, there are so many worth exploring.  If money is no object though, Jet Lag is one more PFM album I'd want to own. 

iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 16:09
I'd get all of PFM's live albums, especially Live In Japan, which is a great set.
 Post Reply Post Reply