Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpeter gabriel 3 (melting)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: peter gabriel 3 (melting)
    Posted: November 03 2016 at 06:44
After listening to this album,i find a very deep and well rounded album ,the hit games without frontiers is a minor footnote,in a otherwise fantastic combination of world music biko the other tracks like  intruder       not one of us and no self control reflect peter,s study of human behaviors. I find that lead a normal life the best song on the record. I first listened to it,when it in came out circa 1980 amazing it still stands a great a achievement of peter.s career.

Edited by grantman - November 05 2016 at 06:45
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2016 at 08:02
I love this album and (IMO) this is a very important album in Gabriel's career. In my Opinion , this is a start of Gabriel to find his future musical path that reach to Today's Gabriel musical character.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2016 at 09:11
^This, along with the fact that Gabriel was said somewheres to have been unhappy with Peter Gabriel 2 (Scratch) and wanted something next that would restart his whole slant on things musically. '3 was just that ticket with more surprises to come. And dig those Collins' gated drums reverbs. Too bad about Biko though. It as an encore sent us running for the exits.

Edited by Rednight - November 03 2016 at 09:12
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2016 at 21:52
I know very little Gabriel solo. I checked out some things on YouTube, and didn't really enjoy it much... but out of the things I checked out, the ones I did enjoy more were the ones on this album. So I guess I'll have to get this one and his first live album to get started with him.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2016 at 22:38
Essential stuff indeed.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2016 at 22:47
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I know very little Gabriel solo. I checked out some things on YouTube, and didn't really enjoy it much... but out of the things I checked out, the ones I did enjoy more were the ones on this album. So I guess I'll have to get this one and his first live album to get started with him.

Check out the Secret World live DVD, Del. The highlight (out of many) of Pete's career.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 09:38
There is material on those I-IV albums that can make you go ...Huh??!! But there is a lot of magic and tons of creativity too.
I pretty much enjoy all of PG....I think he is a musical genius and his switch from Genesis to solo was tough for some to accept, but today listening to those records I to IV and So....Pure genius.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 09:43
I enjoy the first album a lot but it's certainly flawed. The second is irredeemably dull. The third is very good, the fourth is slightly better. None of them are must-own albums though. As far as eclectic art rock goes, he's not quite on the level of say David Bowie or Kate Bush.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 10:06
Gabriel's 1 &2 albums are great too IMO. Some of Punk Rock,Blues, Hard Rock,... elements combinations that arranged and sorted! with his creativity like "Waiting for the Big" or "White Shadow" song. And full Prog songs like "Exposure .
Robert Fripp role in Gabriel's career is Un-Ignoreable and very clearly IMO.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 10:26
I don't own a single album by Bowie or Bush....Bowie never resonated with me, at the same time he was doing his art rock so was Gabriel with Genesis, that had more power and depth to me. I have no opinion of Bush, although her backup vocals on PG~So is pretty amazing.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 10:32
Utterly essential album. Quite clearly the moment when Gabriel began to shed the old Genesis attitude and influence, and began to start his journey as an artist in his own right.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2016 at 22:38
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Check out the Secret World live DVD, Del. The highlight (out of many) of Pete's career.

And how about the Live in Buenos Aires one? That Yossou N'Dour inclusion sounds interesting.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 20:59

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

And how about the Live in Buenos Aires one? That Yossou N'Dour inclusion sounds interesting.

Haven't seen the Buenos Aires yet but the 'So' 25th 3cd édition have the Athens 87 concert and yes, another fantastic addition.
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2016 at 08:33
Car, Scratch, Melt, Security, So and Passion--those six albums are all masterpieces in my opinion, and they're all as good as anything Genesis did.  After Passion Gabriel is still good but he never quite reached the heights of those first six (well, first six minus Birdy).  Plays Live is also a masterpiece in my opinion--so maybe I should say first seven minus Birdy.  Birdy is a bit of an oddity, though, as it's kind of like a "bonus track" album that was used as a soundtrack.

Edited by Terrapin Station - November 07 2016 at 08:36
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2016 at 08:24
^ What is your opinion about "us" ? If you like "So" , You should like "Us" too! (IMO)
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2016 at 08:53
Us is less radio friendly than So and therefore more pleasing to this ear.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2016 at 04:06
^ 100% agreed.
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2016 at 16:27
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

^ What is your opinion about "us" ? If you like "So" , You should like "Us" too! (IMO)

I like Us, but in my opinion overall it doesn't have quite the "spark" or chemistry that So has with respect to both the songwriting and the performances.  It's a good album, but So is one of those occasions where everything came together to create "magic."  Us has more of a workmanlike vibe to it in my opinion.
 Post Reply Post Reply