FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg "Masterpieces" that you couldn't get into

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog "Masterpieces" that you couldn't get into
    Posted: November 24 2016 at 08:19
"Watcher of the Skies" never really clicked with me. Despite probably having one of my favourite intros of all time, the content of it never really did much for me, sadly. The vocal melodies outside of the verses, and flow of the song don't seem to click with me much. It's a song I'd love to like

Edited by souio - November 29 2016 at 08:21
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 08:33
^ pfff... they stole that intro from PFM's Appena un Po' .. and trust me man... they owned it.  No one does melody like Italians...  no one does bad food and great beer like the English LOL

Edited by micky - November 24 2016 at 08:33
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 08:50
"The Wall" is one, though that isn't such a controversial call since there's a healthy chunk of the Floyd fanbase who aren't so hot on it either.

I also don't get on with... well, pretty much the entire ELP discography after the debut and the first side or so of Tarkus, but I especially can't stand Brain Salad Surgery.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 08:53
Most of IQ's stuff. I don't know why, but I could never get into their music.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 08:55
definitely a Plague of Lighthouse Keepers...  many of you all are frickin nuts...

yes the first half of it .. said it once.. said it a hundred times.. the first half on it is one of the best.. most evocative pieces of prog I've ever heard.. but then there is the 2nd half where it does a 180 and becomes one of the most awful dogsh*t pieces of prog I've ever heard...

a prog classic? hah.. pfff....only in illustrating the dangers and extremes of prog rock.

When great.. it rules.. when it sucks.. oh god how it sucks...

Edited by micky - November 24 2016 at 08:56
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 09:06
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ pfff... they stole that intro from PFM's Appena un Po' .. and trust me man... they owned it.  No one does melody like Italians...  no one does bad food and great beer like the English LOL

British beer is astonishing, but don't diss the food. Real British food is delicious. Mind you, I'm really partial to our local American "Man v Food" diner (Huckleberry's York) as well.

Classics I never got on with: anything by KC or VDGG, The Wall, Sgt Pepper.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 09:23
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

British beer is astonishing, but don't diss the food. Real British food is delicious. Mind you, I'm really partial to our local American "Man v Food" diner (Huckleberry's York) as well.

yeah.... sterotypes aside... if the faire of the local British pubs (said to be very authetic in this area as obviously we have a large expat, diplomatic community here)  is any guide .. it isn't half as bad as the jokes make it out to be. Thumbs Up

Surprisely... Raff really took to American cuisine... especially Southern.  And though not the drinker I am.. she agrees wholeheartedly with me that we have gone from the armpit of the beer brewing universe to its shining light.  The best beers in the world are now coming from this country...  shocking for those who grew up chugging the Beast and Buttwiper and you felt halfway cultured ordering a Stella or a Guinness...
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 09:24
Most RIO/Avant Garde "masterpieces". Bands that can't play worth sh*t, but "hey! it's art"...
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 09:26
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

Most RIO/Avant Garde "masterpieces". Bands that can't play worth sh*t, but "hey! it's art"...

hey now.. that was MY line...AngryLOL back before Uncle Ian and Auntie Raff actually got me listening to it.
Zappy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 09:28
I definitely share the missing enthusiasm for IQ's catalogue...and I've tried and tried to like it....
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 09:29
I am a 70s prog fan, that's where and when all started for this music and for me too, yes I am old, but the music that never "clicked" for me is most of Genesis' work, don't know why or how, but I don't get it.
Long live Progresive music!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 09:29
Originally posted by Zappy Zappy wrote:

I definitely share the missing enthusiasm for IQ's catalogue...and I've tried and tried to like it....

don't sugarcoat it... IQ sucks LOL..  they don't belong in the conversation irregardless.. who really considers them or anything they did as  'classic'
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 09:31
Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot are two classics that no matter how hard i try i cannot understand why in the friggin world everyone is so gaga over them. Anything after the second Riverside album leaves me cold as well. Lucikily i can almost always get something out of an album even if it's not my personal favorite but there are those very few albums that not only do i not click with but they actually make me cringe!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 09:34
Originally posted by fredyair fredyair wrote:

I am a 70s prog fan, that's where and when all started for this music and for me too, yes I am old, but the music that never "clicked" for me is most of Genesis' work, don't know why or how, but I don't get it.

that is the point... there is nothing to get.. the love is just a product of revisionist fanboyism...  boring.. boring boring.. at least until they found their true callings as a vehicle and backing band for Phil Collins LOL

that said... they did have the occasinal spark of prog brilliance.. but far too inconsitent to have anything they did ever be considered classic. Even their 'best' prog album was fatally flawed with a horrid More Fool Me and a compeltely flaccid 11 minute deathmarch... enough to knock a true 5 star classic down to a 4 star flawed masterpiece
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 09:58
I find Wind and Wuthering to be a remarkable  album, go figure...
Long live Progresive music!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 10:03
Originally posted by fredyair fredyair wrote:

I find Wind and Wuthering to be a remarkable  album, go figure...

I wouldn't go that far.. but outside of Selling England by the Pound (flawed as it is) that is the prog Genesis album I enjoy the most. It might lack the high points...  Cinema Show and Dancing with the Moonlite Knight.. it doesn't have the low points... 15 odd minutes of pure 1 star sh*t that Selling England has...

then again. that is my point about Genesis.. they were simply too inconsistent .. never had a perfect 5 star album that most all.. hell.. ALL the other similarly regarded (big 6)  groups did have. They get into that Mt. Olympus discussion more for importance and influence on limp dicked Neo prog...than their actual output IMO.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 10:19
I don't give a sh*t about half the albums in the PA Top 100; most of my fave prog albums aren't even in it.
Magma America Great Make Again
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 10:36
I suppose I could say the same myself... half the top 100 I probably consider half as good as the better Willie Nelson album.  There is a lot of great prog out there.... but it isn't necessarily from the bandwagon flavor of the genre English favorites...

again.. I'd put my holy Italian 3 against ANY English album in that top 100... they were simply better albums (or as good when you get to the very top of the 100)... but as I noted earlier...  exposure and sentimentaily and Anglocentricity.. are powerful factors in determining what people know and like.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 11:09
I never "got" King Crimson or Genesis, and although I like a fair bit of Yes' material I don't understand the hype over Relayer.

Also I never appreciated Animals, but I do like The Wall and I love Dark Side and WYWH.
Passka View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 12:29
-almost whole Yes discography, especially Fragile (I like them but not so much)
-Rush almost whole 'A farewell to kings' and few songs on 'Hemispheres'
-whole 'Aqualung' album (liked it very much in the beggining but later just couldn't give a damn about it)
-Karn Evil 9 from ELP and few others
-Gong 'You' never sounded good to me as 'Angels Egg' (doesn't mean I don't like it at all)

Edited by Passka - November 24 2016 at 12:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>