Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedELP-Works Live

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ELP-Works Live
    Posted: November 25 2016 at 17:27

When it comes to live ELP albums,one doesn't have to look to far to find one of the great live albums of the seventies with the excellent Welcome Back record.However another fine example of ELP sounding great on another live album is Works Live (1993).This was originally released in 79 under a different title "In Concert",but then more tracks were added for the later release! It's a really good sound recording and the band played an excellent set.Tiger In A Spotlight,Peter Gunn and a fifthteen minute version of Pictures At An Exhibition,plus a superb Tank are among the highlights!
I know the tour the concert it was recorded from was a financial disaster,but I've always enjoyed this live ELP album.
"Hello sun.Hello bird.
Hello my lady.
Hello breakfast.May I buy you
again tomorrow?"
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2016 at 18:04
I have this on an old VHS video-cassette. Haven't watched it for years, but recall it should've been released as a double album instead of the 'stingey' single LP that originally came out. Great gig.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2016 at 18:46
I had In Concert on cassette back in the day, and I think i played the thing until it broke. Loved the hell out of it, and thanks for the info on the expanded product.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2016 at 03:34
With the exception of the group side of 'Works Vol. 1', ELP seemed to be a spent force creatively but live, as this album shows (along with others from this period, such as 'Nassau Colosseum') they were still a force to be reckoned with.  Amazing stuff given that many of their peers were starting to falter around this point.  
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 18:54
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I had In Concert on cassette back in the day, and I think i played the thing until it broke. Loved the hell out of it, and thanks for the info on the expanded product.

Same here! Yeah, Works Live is a great 2CD. It adds "Tank," "Abaddon"s Bolero," "Watching Over You," "Closer To Believing," "Maple Leaf Rag" and "Show Me The Way To Go Home"!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 19:15
Cool listen...it's on my 'at least once a year' must play list since a good 20 years.

Edited by Barbu - December 01 2016 at 19:20
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 08:59
There are some great live versions here - I actually like their treatment of 'Show Me The Way To Go Home' as well.  When this came out (as In Concert) , a lot of people who had given up on ELP following Love Beach and Works Vol. 2 would have had their faith revived in this great band.  By the time they toured Works, as a teenager I was old enough to go to gigs but was so pissed off that they chose to concentrate on North America. I had to wait until 92 to finally see them live for the first time!
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 09:24
I'm in the minority.   Works Vol 1 is my favorite ELP album.

Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 05:48
This thread was somewhat prescient - anyone yet to hear this album will find the band on fine form.  In fact, it is clear they were still a great band live and I actually prefer some of these versions here to the album cuts.  If you are revisiting Greg - have a listen to this!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2016 at 01:57
I have to be honest and say that the sound is pretty awful. They had technical issues at the Montreal Concert (losing a whole channel of sound) that means it sounds almost MONO at times . The expanded 2 CD set includes versions from different concerts which helps but then they did a horrible edit of Fanfare For The Common Man to muck it up and also failed to include a glorious version of Pirates.
The DVD is much better.

If you want a live CD from that era then the best had got to be Live At Nassau Coliseum 78

This is just them as a three piece and has great versions of Pirates and Tarkus among other goodies.

Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2016 at 05:27
I would agree with the Nassau concert, but - sound quality issues aside - some of the versions with the orchestra work really well, for example, I prefer this version of 'Abaddon's Bolero' to the studio version.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2016 at 21:02
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

I would agree with the Nassau concert, but - sound quality issues aside - some of the versions with the orchestra work really well, for example, I prefer this version of 'Abaddon's Bolero' to the studio version.

I have mostly not been much of a fan of ELP live. But indeed this Abaddon's Bolero version for me is better than the original... even though that song is somewhat frustrating since it usually makes me wish I was listening to Ravel's Bolero instead.
 Post Reply Post Reply