Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich bands are really progressive?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 13:38
I sure tend to think the same sometimes, but if we could right now give an easy answer on how music could be totally renewed... We would keep it for ourselves and work it outTongue
But seriously, who could expect anything like rock in the 19th century? New genres have always kept coming, why would it suddenly stop? Maybe the most possibilities right now to renew are found in sound rather than composition, though.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 15:18
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

There is something which can be examined and put to use which hasn't been done yet: microtonality. The only person I've discovered who really knows how to make unique and beautiful harmonies with this is Dolores Catherino, an example here: 

Yes, microtonality is something that has been explored quite a bit in contemporary classical music but not as much in rock/metal. Of course the premise of techniques like pitch bending (you know, every 80s guitar solo? LOL ) 

Plenty of aspects of microtonality combined with approaches to prog rock/metal in the spirit of bands like Art Zoyd haven't been explored enough or at all 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 15:20
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Current progressive acts found on PA?
Chrome Hoof

Bent Knee

I love Chrome Hoof and little known fact, Ben Levin is a 'buddy' of mine Big smile
Bent Knee is an amazing and unique group! Embarrassed
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 19:13
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Yep - Master Kingsnake - aggression, punk tendencies, rough musicianship, simple thrash. Yet they never claimed to be any more. There were quite 'extreme' for the era. But the ambitious extended composition, At War With Satan, owed a lot to Connie's (Cronos) love of Rush and Tull (and Heep, Purple, Zepp etc.) He knew what 'long, drawn-out pompous' concepts were about. We get a very cool album with that. Watching interviews with him, he is pretty cool and straight-forward with his vision. Great attitude as well. No-one need fear Venom, just like a ramped-up Motörhead, really. And we all know Lemmy was in Hawkwind !! Venom injected (ha !) fun into the 'extreme' Metal of the time. And really enjoyed doing it. I really appreciate what Venom brought to the table.

This is slightly off topic but at the mention of Venom, this is a true story.  I attended a school play many years ago that a mate was doing teaching practice at and recommended that I should experience it.  It was in Newcastle upon Tyne.  Apparently, one of the pupils (sixth form, I hasten to add) was the girlfriend of Cronos who kindly agreed to provide special effects and 'vocals' into the proceedings.  Nowadays, I guess these would be classed as growls but back in '85 the audience were terrified.
Cronos wouldn't be that much older than her. Maybe 5 years.......and hearing their latest album, From The Very Depths, the current incarnation of Venom has nailed it - tight, clean and heavy. Conrad has learnt something over the years    Oh, and he's not too shabby on the bass, either.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 04:57
Originally posted by Zappy Zappy wrote:

This band might be a bit off-topic and you may already know them but when it comes to bands that I find extremely original sounding I have to mention The Tea Club, especially their last album 'Grappling'. Yes, it is classic prog influenced but those brothers (Heads of the band) share a very distinct and unique composition style, using extremely original tone-material. The production is very interesting (even though semi-pro) and wonderfully dynamic. There is so much energy in this album and to me it just felt very forward thinking, which is why I am mentioning it here.

Oh I know about The Tea Club :) They came here through the unsigned bands section of the forum some years ago, I think I even proposed adding them here myself ;-)
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 05:19
I really love modern bands that combine progressive music with electronic, ethnic and dance music:

Ozric Tentacles
Hidria Spacefolk
Shpongle
ColorStar
Körai Öröm
Entheogenic
etc.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 07:27
Every album of Holger Czukay is different from every other of his albums and actually from every other music there is.
Try this, for example:

David Sylvian has progressed in an amazing manner throughout his career.

Sometimes I come across bands or artists of which I think that they do something really unique and progressive (without defying that they have their influences), one such example is Everything Everything.

Of course to what extent something really is new and "progressive" I can't know... I guess that there is more good African music that makes this lady not quite as original and progressive as she appears to me but still:

Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 07:38
^ Rokia Traoré is amazing.

Earlier I mentioned Salif Keita aswell. Mali has a very musical and progressive scene. Extraordinairy!
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 07:52
I used to be a huge prog rock fan. Then I realized there's no such thing as a distinction between progressive, prog and regressive. But that's just my opinion.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 07:55
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I used to be a huge prog rock fan. Then I realized there's no such thing as a distinction between progressive, prog and regressive. But that's just my opinion.

I thought I was a progfan, until I realized that most bands I thought were progressive were not prog, and most bands I didn't like were progbands.

Now I think I like some progbands, and a lot of other bands. I love progressive music though, because I like experimentation and pushing the boundaries.
thepurplepiper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 15:25
I reckon Aquaserge are an interesting modern prog band, they hail from France and have an interesting jazzy/avant-garde approach to progressive rock. Lots of others in this thread have also pointed out how so much truly progressive music is being created, except that it is not necessarily contained simply to prog rock; this is very true. In terms of hip hop, I advise people to listen to Death Grips (if you are willing to listen to something wild and dissonant and noisier than you might be used to, mind) for some innovative rap music. I feel the most recent four Swans records have been wonderful collections of groovy post-rock with these towering climaxes that seem fit to break walls with the sheer sonic force of them. The wonderful harpist and singer/songwriter Joanna Newsom must also be mentioned; such a beautiful songwriter. Another rapper, Danny Brown, has had a recent record out that is very experimental with both fun and somber beats and brilliant songwriting. Deathspell Omega are a black metal band that utilize a lot of dissonant songwriting techniques to create these fascinating, grotesque soundscapes and I implore anybody reading to listen to The Synarchy of Molten Bones, their most recent work. 

Those are just a couple musicians I could recall off the top of my head who I feel are exploring interesting and oft-overlooked places in their music. Of course metal bands have explored dissonance and monstrous sounding melodies and harmonies before (Gorguts) and of course there has been industrial hip hop before Death Grips (like with Dalek, for instance) but I think all of those artists a worth a listen.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 18:01
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 01:46
Upon re-acquainting myself with VENOM - back in the 80's, this was brutal, hard-core sh*t - I dared not listen to this too loud when I was 16. Now, Cronos and his cronies sound almost laughable in there extremities. Sure, they sound like a bunch of drunk kids stumbling upon a garage full of musical equipment, but as 'neanderthal' as they sounded back then, truth is - they could play. Perhaps drummer Abaddon was a bit sloppy, but truly relentless - and there's no 'blast-beat' double bass-drum work to match his at the time. And Cronos can pull off some real good and creative bass-lines surprisingly enough. The guitarist is blistering and knows what he's doing........ Great band, ballsy musicianship, and innovative. Really, an ambitious 20 minute 'Extreme' Metal piece back in 1984, must have some sort of 'Progressive' qualifications........
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 03:43
In my opinion, the idea of a distinction is incoherent, and only stems from people not understanding how language works--in this case with respect to how abbreviations evolve over time. The same thing often happens with synonyms, including those stemming from the same word in different languages (for example, "morality," which comes from the Latin word for "ethics," which comes from Greek).

Also, seeing progressive rock as something defined by a literal take on the word "progressive" is facile and shows no understanding of the music-theoretical and ideological commonalities of the stuff commonly, non-controversially considered to belong to the genre, or the historical development of it.
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 03:56
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

There is something which can be examined and put to use which hasn't been done yet: microtonality.

It's certainly been done, but I'd say that we've only scratched the surface of it so far.

One frustrating thing about it is that contemporary musical gear is not easily conducive to exploring microtonal music in depth.

I've suggested to keyboard manufacturers, for example, that they should make it easy to do custom tunings by simply defining the pitch in cents for each key on a keyboard--it seems that that should be a relatively easy thing to engineer, but they don't bother because there is close to no demand for this.

I've suggested likewise for drum machines with respect to odd times including theoretically possible time signatures like 7/3 for example (they're mathematically possible and effectively akin to metric modulations), polyrhythms, being able to program tempos that aren't steady/regular etc., but likewise, there's very little demand for anything like that, especially when most folks just want to know how to do cliched things with "boots and pants" grooves.

Edited by Terrapin Station - December 15 2016 at 03:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123