FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you like most prog rock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 04:42
Re the discussion that was brought up with Miles/Kind of Blue:

As mentioned above, Miles has a bunch of fusion albums.  I think it's important that fusion is a subgenre the site covers, since (a) in my opinion it's the jazz flipside of the prog rock coin--fusion is to jazz as prog is to rock, and (b) there is a lot of fusion and prog that are in a fuzzy area with respect to the distinctions, especially because (i) a lot of fusion bands had some musicians with rock backgrounds while a lot of prog bands had some musicians with jazz backgrounds, and (ii) a lot of fusion was mixing rock elements with jazz while a lot of prog was mixing jazz elements with rock.

I also think it makes sense that if we include an artist on the site because of prog or fusion albums in their catalog, we include their entire discography.  That makes sense because a lot of artists who did a significant amount of stuff that's clearly prog or fusion, but who didn't only do prog or fusion, have a lot of relases that are in a gray area genre-wise.  So cherry-picking what releases of theirs to include would soon turn into a mess.  (That's also the reason why, as someone who likes a lot of music that intentionally blurs conventional genre distinctions, as well as a lot of artists who do a lot of genre-hopping, I've never bothered trying to organize my collection into genre categories--it almost immediately becomes a complete mess).

At that, I also think it's an unfortunate upshot that we wind up with something like Kind of Blue, which doesn't have anything to do with fusion, on the top 100 list.  But I think that's preferable to the mess we'd have otherwise.

On the other hand, it's also unfortunate that we wind up with some releases not listed on the site simply because the artist didn't do enough clearly prog or fusion albums to be considered worth listing overall.
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 04:55
[quote=npjnpj]I must admit that I agree on your point about prog singers. I don't think that outside this particular genre you hear such a large bunch of mediocre voices in one place. I have no idea who tells all these people that it's ok for them to sing.[/quote]

It's always seemed to me that this is one aspect of prog that's ironically like punk or indie.  Vocalists are often determined by "Who in the band doesn't mind trying to sing?"  I think the similarity comes from the fact that all three genres tend to be relative outsider/do-it-yourself genres.  People sing because you want vocals and so someone has to sing, and it's not easy when you're getting the band going to find professional(-caliber) vocalists who are interested.  So the person in the band with the most passable voice and who provides the least resistance (or who has the most outgoing personality) gets "volunteered" into singing.

Of course, there are some fantastic prog vocalists, but I also agree--if you were to listen to every single artist listed on progarchives--that there are lots of questionable vocalists in prog, and often vocals are one of the biggest hurdles for me when checking out new-to-me prog artists.

Edited by Terrapin Station - December 12 2016 at 04:55
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 05:04
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

And as for the "big 6"? I don't think I've met a single person who adores all 6 of these bands. Personally I only consider myself a fan of 2 of them (Yes, King Crimson), while two more have a handful of albums I enjoy a lot interspersed among albums I dislike a lot (Genesis, Pink Floyd), and I really don't care for the other two, save for a selection of individual tracks (ELP, Jethro Tull).

I never even realized there was a conventional "big six" before, but I love all six of the bands you mention.  They're all in my top 50 (of music overall), and Yes, Crimson and ELP are in my top 10. 
HosiannaMantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 05:11
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

And as for the "big 6"? I don't think I've met a single person who adores all 6 of these bands. Personally I only consider myself a fan of 2 of them (Yes, King Crimson), while two more have a handful of albums I enjoy a lot interspersed among albums I dislike a lot (Genesis, Pink Floyd), and I really don't care for the other two, save for a selection of individual tracks (ELP, Jethro Tull).

I never even realized there was a conventional "big six" before, but I love all six of the bands you mention.  They're all in my top 50 (of music overall), and Yes, Crimson and ELP are in my top 10. 

I also like all of those "big 6" bands. My parents also. Big smile
Rick5A View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 05:36
Big 6 - I only listen to Yes and Crimson out of those bands. Since Miles is still coming up, I am a big enough fan that my son's middle name is Miles.

Edited by Rick5A - December 12 2016 at 05:36
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 07:24
Originally posted by Rick5A Rick5A wrote:

So here's my question: Do you find yourself liking most prog, or do you have to listen to a ton of stuff to find a few gems?        

I find a lot of it to be hit or miss. A few gems in the dross. For instance, I recently delved into Enchant, checked out several, or parts of several, of their albums and came away with only about three songs that clicked with me. 

Porcupine Tree is another that I've recently begun to explore. I like much of their more recent, heavier output. Haven't really delved into their earlier stuff.

I love just about everything from Spock's Beard up through V. Snow does very little for me and their post-Neal Morse output, while more varied, is very hit or miss with me. Love X and Brief Nocturnes.

The Bedlam in Goliath from The Mars Volta blows me away but have not seriously checked out any of their other stuff. Same with The Power and the Glory from Gentle Giant

Rush is my all time favorite band and I like most of their stuff.

Certain bands like Yes and Genesis I have many songs that I really like and many that do nothing for me.

Been poking around with King Crimson as well. Found a few gems.

Jethro Tull - Love Thick as a Brick and Songs From the Wood

This site has been a godsend for me as it has introduced me to obscure stuff that I never would have otherwise found. So many bands and genres that I never knew existed

Edited by Jeffro - December 12 2016 at 07:27
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 07:33
No, but when i find a genre/band that it's not only that i don't like, but i can't 'absorb' anything from it, i try my maximum to adquire the taste to try to understand some of this, since sometimes the music is so different that i can't get it from a superficial listen, i tried to delve into RIO/Avant-prog for some LOOOONG time before really liking it, but when finally Henry Cow's Amgydala finally clicked me, i was so happy :D
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 10:25
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

definitely not- there is a lot of prog I dislike, just like there is a lot of non-prog that I like

This.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 10:55
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

Re the discussion that was brought up with Miles/Kind of Blue:

As mentioned above, Miles has a bunch of fusion albums.  I think it's important that fusion is a subgenre the site covers, since (a) in my opinion it's the jazz flipside of the prog rock coin--fusion is to jazz as prog is to rock, and (b) there is a lot of fusion and prog that are in a fuzzy area with respect to the distinctions, especially because (i) a lot of fusion bands had some musicians with rock backgrounds while a lot of prog bands had some musicians with jazz backgrounds, and (ii) a lot of fusion was mixing rock elements with jazz while a lot of prog was mixing jazz elements with rock.

I also think it makes sense that if we include an artist on the site because of prog or fusion albums in their catalog, we include their entire discography.  That makes sense because a lot of artists who did a significant amount of stuff that's clearly prog or fusion, but who didn't only do prog or fusion, have a lot of relases that are in a gray area genre-wise.  So cherry-picking what releases of theirs to include would soon turn into a mess.  (That's also the reason why, as someone who likes a lot of music that intentionally blurs conventional genre distinctions, as well as a lot of artists who do a lot of genre-hopping, I've never bothered trying to organize my collection into genre categories--it almost immediately becomes a complete mess).

At that, I also think it's an unfortunate upshot that we wind up with something like Kind of Blue, which doesn't have anything to do with fusion, on the top 100 list.  But I think that's preferable to the mess we'd have otherwise.

On the other hand, it's also unfortunate that we wind up with some releases not listed on the site simply because the artist didn't do enough clearly prog or fusion albums to be considered worth listing overall.

Despite saying that I don't like the complete discography policy, I agree 100 percent with everything you wrote here, and I probably will end up not completely agreeing with myself here.... That we end up not having some releases in PA due to worries about discography concerns has been my particular problem with the policy (at the same time there was a dictum that one PA-worthy release should be enough for inclusion). I've wanted an album based category that works much like Various Artists for albums that fit various categories but the artists/ bands have been left out due to discography concerns. I wish there were a way to block albums such as Kind of Blue from appearing in the top list. Some say that it should not be rated so highly because of the ratings descriptors:
5 stars Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music
4 stars: Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection
3 stars: Good, but non-essential
2 stars: Collectors/fans only
1 star: Poor. Only for completionists [I say completists]
But I don't like the descriptors, and would feel uncomfortable rating an album that I consider excellent, but don't consider to be progressive rock 3 stars. A lot of music in PA that I love I don't consider really progressive rock, and some categories are replete with acts not typically considered to be Prog. With Kind of Blue one can't consider it to be a masterpiece of Prog let alone JRF of course.

Incidentally, I mentioned In a Silent Way as the strong start of his JRF worthy albums, but I would go back to at least 1968 with Filles de Kiliminjaro for the beginnings of electric Miles. That said, having the earlier albums is good to chart the progression, and the start and end of a PA category appropriate career is very fuzzy indeed. Herbie Hancock who influenced and played with Davis on Filles de Kilimanjaro is another such artist with quite fuzzy boundaries, and also people were against his addition maybe because they thought of jazz like Empyrean Isles, Maiden Voyage, and later hits such as "Rockit" rather than, say, the Mwandishi trilogy.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 13:12
What if we had a way to vote for "How progressive an album is"?  That way you'd have a rating of the album aside from that factor as well as a rating for how progressive it is (where that could be independent of one's opinion of how good it is), and then when you're doing a search, you can filter out albums below a certain threshhold on the "progressive" vote--which should get rid of Kind of Blue on a custom top 100 list, because I doubt many users would vote for it being progressive. 
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 13:42
Why not implement the same system in JazzMusicArchives? each band/musician can have multiple genres and each album is individually catalogued, i find this a much better choice...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 14:26
I have wanted there to be ratings scales similar to progfreak which has "progressive approach" as one rating, but I'm not altogether comfortable with the idea.

Multiple genres has been discussed a lot over the years.

Lots of us have wanted individual album tagging by genres like at progfreak and at jazz and metal music archives, butt never happened. Since I've joined here people have wanted it. Some people have felt that it's just too late and too much work to adopt that system. Personally, I have always wanted that system. I think we could stick with the main categorization by artist system and then have members tag the individual albums according to a set of pre-determined tags. I would especially like that if we had a search function so that you can search for albums with certain tags (for instance, if I want to find an album that crosses psych/ jazz/ avant/ folk). Anyway, it's M@x's site, and it's up to him what he wants to implement for the site. As said, he set up jazzmusicarchives differently, as well as metalmusicarchives, and I guess he just thinks that to do that here now would require too much work.

Having team members tag all the albums and choose multiple genres for artists would require massive effort since we have such a big database already, and having anyone do it might lead to abuse.... I seem to remember that even back when I joined some people were saying that such an overhaul would be too much work. I thought, so might as well get started now.... If all members helped out it wouldn't be such a momentous task, and it's not like everything needs to be multi-tagged or done quickly. I thought to limit potential abuse, maybe have people tag albums when they review them.

Edited by Logan - December 12 2016 at 14:30
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 15:59
only the good stuff..... like most musical genres.. there is good stuff.. there is bad stuff... I don't waste my time with silly or pointless prog.. no more than I turn my nose up at well done pop or country...

what rules what is inherently superior  though are prog rock forums.... it keeps me coming back... you don't get the level of entertainment anywhere else.

IRON MAIDEN???  prog???? AHHHHH!!!! *draws gun .. knife...  frying pan.. any weapon within reach*

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 16:02
I enjoy about 95% of all the prog I hear. But, being completely honest, prog is really all I ever listen to. I don't like pop, rap, or anything you would normally hear on the radio
User Banned for this Post
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 10:01
Originally posted by Rick5A Rick5A wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

It's possible to appreciate much more music (at least the real music that is not made for pleasing a big audience in the first place but is proper artistic expression) by giving it more time and trying hard to work out what's in it and even with some self-criticism why it initially may not have clicked. Most people don't like the idea of having to "work" on their listening but if you do, it's often very rewarding. 
This applies to prog as well as to other musical styles including jazz.

It certainly depends though, right?  I would think that the majority of people have sounds that they simply do not like for whatever reasons and that's fine.  As examples, some people can't stomach one or more of outside jazz, extreme metal sounds, hip hop sounds, etc.,  and no amount of listening will change that.   I have certainly had experiences where I initially thought something was good and later thought it was great.  I can't say that I have ever had the experience of initially thinking something was not good at all and then later thinking it was great (for any kind of music). 

It's all fine anyway. Everyone can like or not like whatever they want.

Still it is possible to get in music that sounds quite alien and "wrong" in the beginning. I'm interested in music beyond the question what I "like" intuitively. Music is communication and I can ask myself, do I get the message? Sometimes I don't get it but I can learn, and sometimes I'm put off initially because the music resonates with some of the sides in me and some experiences that I don't like, and  getting into it can teach me something about myself and help me developing.

(I actually should add here that what I just wrote is probably a bit misleading because by "message" I don't necessarily mean a message that the artist has consciously put into the music, it could also be something produced by my own imagination inspired by the music even if the music was not originally "meant" like that.)

It doesn't always work and I don't always try, and certainly I'm not saying what other should do. I try at times and often enough it is rewarding, sometimes I fail and sometimes I'm just lazy and don't try. Still I believe, from experience, that in much music that I (and probably others) don't get initially, there is much to be found.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 10:39
I listen to practically every Prog genre, it depends on my mood, but I'll less likely listen to the Metal genres, Post Rock or Prog Folk.

Also, I lost count of how many albums I didn't like at first listen or didn't think they were really good and ended up loving them.

I don't judge the artists by the top rated albums either, in many cases my favourites are not the obvious ones.

Edited by Meltdowner - December 13 2016 at 10:40
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 11:11
Within subgenres that I favour I tend to prefer subsets of those subgenres. For instance, in Prog Folk I favour acid folk, and in RIO/ Avant prog I commonly favour so-called chamber rock bands. And I commonly like Prog that has a psyche element no matter what the category although I don't listen to a great many bands included in the psyche category.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 11:21
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Also, I lost count of how many albums I didn't like at first listen or didn't think they were really good and ended up loving them.

Still waiting for my saviour,
storms tear me limb from limb;
my fingers feel like seaweed...
I'm so far out I'm too far in.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 11:30
^ Je ne comprends pas Confused
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 11:32
Pawns Hearts wasn't an album you grew to love?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>