Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you like most prog rock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 12:59
No, in fact I dislike most of it. The only two "prog" bands that are among my favorites are Rush and Gentle Giant. I like a handful of other bands though of course. Like what has been said, when prog is good, it's good. But if it isn't, it's among the worst music out there.
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 14:00
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Well, you lost me at Slayer (I thought "Master of Puppets" was an album from Black Sabbat or Iron Maiden)...

I'm sorry but I had to laugh reading that. The album Master of Puppets is by Metallica.

Quote Never heard about Steely Dan, nor Stockhausen - I can't find them in PA database: for what subgenre would you suggest them?

Steely Dan are not particularly related to prog, and Karlheinz Stockhausen was an academic avant-garde composer. No wonder that the PA database doesn't know them. Wikipedia is your friend ;)

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 16:49
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

Generally I prefer bands like Henry Cow, Thinking Plague, This Heat, Gong, Zappa, Beefheart, The Residents to bands like Yes, Genesis or Pink Floyd.

So you prefer progressive music over prog.

Once upon a time it was prog but I've come to love music of most genres. I'm interested in sounds I haven't heard before and the endless sea of possibilities music has to offer, aka not putting myself in a box.
Smile

I explored a lot of "classic prog" in my teens but admittedly got bored with it after a while. 
The past 5 years I've been especially obsessed with 20th century classical music and I've explored it's many facets. Right now I'm actually starting to get in to hip hop/rap, believe it or not.
I like folk music, metal, jazz, "early music" (medieval and renaissance), electronic, funk, etc etc without getting into subgenres. 
But ultimately I'm more interested in the future than the past now

Edited by Thatfabulousalien - January 04 2017 at 16:54
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Asund View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 17:53
Yah, I didn't pull from the DB, but my own experience, of course. I'm guessin homie didn't get the other Metallica reference - though of course 'Metalllica' had been on the way out since the album prior. Slayer - Reign in Blood - "...ANGEL OF DEATH.....MARCH TO THE KINGDOM OF THE DEAAAAD". Hot music. I did a sort of crash-course from Country to Thrash Metal in high school. Back when such a thing was extraordinarily odd. Perhaps unique.

Steely Dan was progressive harmonically and at times rhythmically. Also it combines styles of popcul music in a non-trivial way (as compared to all the kiddie metal and that, which presumes throwing styles together is novel). Stockhausen was a twen-cen Art Music composer. Classical is an era. Period.

No love for Camel?

((Ah hah. You have to start at the beginning of the next line to effect a page break. Bizarre.))

But ultimately I'm more interested in the future than the past now
And what do you see coming?

Edited by Asund - January 04 2017 at 17:54
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 07:26
Originally posted by Asund Asund wrote:

Yah, I didn't pull from the DB, but my own experience, of course. I'm guessin homie didn't get the other Metallica reference - though of course 'Metalllica' had been on the way out since the album prior. Slayer - Reign in Blood - "...ANGEL OF DEATH.....MARCH TO THE KINGDOM OF THE DEAAAAD". Hot music. I did a sort of crash-course from Country to Thrash Metal in high school. Back when such a thing was extraordinarily odd. Perhaps unique.

Who the hell listens to that Trash Metal crap, anyway? Slayer, Metallica... Why not Nickelback or Slipknot, if you really want to give in the bad taste, low brow, fratboy bad taste?!
Metal is the worst thing ever happened to music - except if you think that hip-hop is "music".

Steely Dan was progressive harmonically and at times rhythmically. Also it combines styles of popcul music in a non-trivial way (as compared to all the kiddie metal and that, which presumes throwing styles together is novel). Stockhausen was a twen-cen Art Music composer. Classical is an era. Period.

But was the common point between Steely Dan and Stockhausen? Is Steely Dan a Classical music act? Did they play together? Did they release an album together?
I don't get it.

No love for Camel?

But could you just stop referencing bands no one heard about??? What, next? Van der Graaf Generator? Gentle Giant??? What kind of snob are you to talk about bands which have never been reissued on CD?
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 08:07

Who the hell listens to that Trash Metal crap, anyway? Slayer, Metallica... Why not Nickelback or Slipknot, if you really want to give in the bad taste, low brow, fratboy bad taste?!
Metal is the worst thing ever happened to music - except if you think that hip-hop is "music".

That's pure, unalloyed bigotry (and the rest of your post which I don't bother quoting here shows that you know hardly anything about what you are talking about). You may not like metal and hip-hop, but that's your personal taste, nothing more. I don't like hip-hop either, and I also don't like certain kinds of metal including thrash metal, but I don't say (at least not in public) that they are "crap" - just that I don't like that stuff. But that's just me. There are plenty of people who say that prog is nerdy, overblown, pretentious, tasteless crap, so please be more respectful towards other people's taste. One of the distinctions of good musical taste is open-mindedness towards other tastes.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 12:41

There are plenty of people who say that prog is nerdy, overblown, pretentious, tasteless crap, so please be more respectful towards other people's taste. One of the distinctions of good musical taste is open-mindedness towards other tastes.

Good musical taste avoids metal. Period.
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 14:49

Never heard about Steely Dan

Woah--seriously?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 15:02
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Asund View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 15:18
@CPicardi: precisely - I like different types of music. One needs a neutral set of tools. To know, and perhaps to appreciate, something outside of their preferences. Now my preferences happen to oftenly line up with what is 'good'. For example, Ravel. However in the case of Debussey, I care for only certain pieces, though all his stuff is at least good. A different story with Metallica - the first three albums are great, the second two are progressively (hah) more mature. After that it was very quickly downhill, in terms of Metal, and quality. And so on.....

Supplemental - @ Terrapin: it's whoa....versus wo-ah. 

Supplemental 2 - @ Logan: abstinence means one has an emotional issue, or there's nobody adequate available.

Edited by Asund - January 05 2017 at 15:25
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 15:28
@Asund: I never asked about your preferences, you only keep referencing about unknown artists. "Debussey" suspiciously sounds French (btw, isn't Ravel the leader of some strange sect which is all about aliens and that stuff?)
Also, stop talking about Metallica, there's nothing great about metal.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 15:36

Supplemental 2 - @ Logan: abstinence means one has an emotional issue, or there's nobody adequate available.

I just thought it up as a silly play on an idiom cause I got tired of claiming that I have a headache.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 16:07
No, but I like some a lot. 
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 17:58

I prefer "woah"
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 18:27
I love a lot of 70s prog. I just bought Hoelderlin-Rarebirds.
Great stuff. There's plenty of 70s I'm not crazy about and stuff which is pretty overrated like 73-74 Genesis, Crimson and Floyd
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Asund View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 18:31
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

I prefer "woah"

It's only correct for millenials. (And James Hetfield.) That is, it's wrong.

Looks like Logan's hand got slapped. Mine is in conference with the committee. Learning how to break the rules tends to break the system in convention  (*8-))

Edited by Asund - January 05 2017 at 18:33
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 19:06

There are plenty of people who say that prog is nerdy, overblown, pretentious, tasteless crap, so please be more respectful towards other people's taste. One of the distinctions of good musical taste is open-mindedness towards other tastes.

Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 20:34
Metal, Punk, Hip Hop, Dance, Trance all belong in the bin LOL

Edited by dr prog - January 05 2017 at 20:35
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 06:29

Full disclosure: being someone quickly irritated, I've tried to troll another forumite who got on my nerves after criticising the music I produce. So, I've started writing stupid, rubbish, garbage-like stuff as answers to his posts.
Don't believe a word I typed here and Bring The Noise.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 07:58
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

Never heard about Steely Dan

Woah--seriously?

you'd be surprised... when I added them to the database I got a number of PM's thanking me. not for recognizing them for what they were, but exposing them TO the group. In fact I still get them, a really nice guy PM'd me last month.

Edited by micky - January 06 2017 at 07:59
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>