Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHark the Herald Comus Sings

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [25.00%]
12 [75.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hark the Herald Comus Sings
    Posted: December 11 2016 at 16:26
Here's a fun little ditty of a poll: Comus' "The Herald" off First Utterance vs. Neal Morse and The Prog World Orchestra's "Hark The Herald Angels Sing" off A Proggy Christmas.

Edited by Logan - December 11 2016 at 16:27
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 18:05
While Neil's version has its merits, it is way too far into the season to vote in support any version of any of the dozen or so of these holiday "classics" we have been subjected to for the last few weeks.  Thus, it is with relish, aplomb, and unbounded joy that I cast my vote for Comus.  Evil Smile Besides, it is by far the better song.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 22:01
I've pretty much had enough of Christmas songs come mid-November. The songs in stores seem to come out earlier and earlier each year. I think our Walmart was playing Christmas songs soon after Halloween.

Oh, someone voted for the Noël Morse, cool. If I hadn't voted it would be a tie. In retrospect I wish I had asked people to vote for their favourite guitar bits: The Herald from about 3:50 to 6:30 vs. Hark the Herald Angel Sings from about 2:18 to 2:40.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 02:01
It will not happen often that I vote in favour of Comus against Neal Morse because I find some of their output disgusting at the least, but The Herald wins this one hands down for me. While this rendition of a Christmas carol has some good elements (like the guitar solo), I prefer the pastoral sound of The Herald with its eeriness hidden under the surface.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 07:51
Comus for sure.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 12:25
Morse, I never got into Comus.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 22:48
I can never cast a vote in favor of Comus.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 10:51
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

I was going to say that's a shame, but I really don't know enough about your tastes as we've rarely intersected in PA discussion (* checking reviewer page, I see that you are fonder of Neal Morse than I* and I can see that our tastes are quite different).

As an acid folk lover, I find Comus to be essential. I can understand that the creepiness and disturbing qualities of First Utterance particularly could be really off-putting to some. Even for me, and I grew up watching some pretty disturbing horror films and reading horror novels, I find F.U. a little hard to stomach at times (not so much really gross ones, but disturbing). I never had a problem with The Herald, though, which I find eerily beautiful. The concept/ story, and particularly certain imagery of First Utterance can be quite yucky, and the music itself, especially with Wootton's singing contrasted with Bobbie Watson's innocent, yet I find strangely harrowing, sounding vocals intensifies it. Some people, especially some Christians I have known (don't know if you are religious) have I think found it an affront to their beliefs, and I think were morally indignant or felt dirtied by it.. To me it's telling a story, and a story-teller can delve into dark things, and by reading, listening to, or watching such things, it doesn't make me uncomfortable in myself. I've written a few horror stories (mostly mixed with comedy so not so unrelenting) with some pretty vile protagonists, and although I would never do such a thing as the worse characters do, and it was more about exploring my fears, I guess some might say that it paints a bleak picture of my psyche. I think the character of Comus trumps any of my writings.

Somehow I associate it's pagan-like story-telling to watching the Wicker Man, which is a film I love.

I wonder had you started with To Keep From Crying, which is more mainstream and isn't an eerie horror story type concept album if you would still have the same negative, visceral reaction to Comus. I think a lot of people have developed a sort of Comus phobia due to the disturbing qualities of First Utterance in particular -- people who loathe everything Comus due to reactions to that one album in particular (I know of many people who hate Comus who haven't really explored beyond that album as it put them off for good).

That First Utterance can provoke such a strong reaction in people tells me that this is indeed powerful, and dare I say uncompromising, stuff. I think maybe music is for many a more powerful tool to get under your skin than film and books. I knew someone who could watch intense horror films, ones that would make me squeamish, but First Utterance was more disturbing. Music is a powerful medium for telling stories and musical expression. I also think maybe a lot of people aren't used to musicians telling stories of a disturbing nature so are less forgiving of a song-writer who writes a song about murder than, say an author of books, or screenplay who writes about a murderer, and think that because a song-writer tells that story they automatically condone the action.

A lot of the best folk music for me tells a story, and a lot of it is quite disturbing in nature (stories of hangmen are popular). Sorry for such a long response to such a quick comment. You're hardly alone in your feelings, and especially if you are religious I could see one finding it harder still to take.

Edited by Logan - December 13 2016 at 10:55
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 13:40
Easily Comus
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 12:08
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I was going to say that's a shame, but I really don't know enough about your tastes as we've rarely intersected in PA discussion (* checking reviewer page, I see that you are fonder of Neal Morse than I* and I can see that our tastes are quite different).

As an acid folk lover, I find Comus to be essential. I can understand that the creepiness and disturbing qualities of First Utterance particularly could be really off-putting to some. Even for me, and I grew up watching some pretty disturbing horror films and reading horror novels, I find F.U. a little hard to stomach at times (not so much really gross ones, but disturbing). I never had a problem with The Herald, though, which I find eerily beautiful. The concept/ story, and particularly certain imagery of First Utterance can be quite yucky, and the music itself, especially with Wootton's singing contrasted with Bobbie Watson's innocent, yet I find strangely harrowing, sounding vocals intensifies it. Some people, especially some Christians I have known (don't know if you are religious) have I think found it an affront to their beliefs, and I think were morally indignant or felt dirtied by it.. To me it's telling a story, and a story-teller can delve into dark things, and by reading, listening to, or watching such things, it doesn't make me uncomfortable in myself. I've written a few horror stories (mostly mixed with comedy so not so unrelenting) with some pretty vile protagonists, and although I would never do such a thing as the worse characters do, and it was more about exploring my fears, I guess some might say that it paints a bleak picture of my psyche. I think the character of Comus trumps any of my writings.

Somehow I associate it's pagan-like story-telling to watching the Wicker Man, which is a film I love.

I wonder had you started with To Keep From Crying, which is more mainstream and isn't an eerie horror story type concept album if you would still have the same negative, visceral reaction to Comus. I think a lot of people have developed a sort of Comus phobia due to the disturbing qualities of First Utterance in particular -- people who loathe everything Comus due to reactions to that one album in particular (I know of many people who hate Comus who haven't really explored beyond that album as it put them off for good).

That First Utterance can provoke such a strong reaction in people tells me that this is indeed powerful, and dare I say uncompromising, stuff. I think maybe music is for many a more powerful tool to get under your skin than film and books. I knew someone who could watch intense horror films, ones that would make me squeamish, but First Utterance was more disturbing. Music is a powerful medium for telling stories and musical expression. I also think maybe a lot of people aren't used to musicians telling stories of a disturbing nature so are less forgiving of a song-writer who writes a song about murder than, say an author of books, or screenplay who writes about a murderer, and think that because a song-writer tells that story they automatically condone the action.

A lot of the best folk music for me tells a story, and a lot of it is quite disturbing in nature (stories of hangmen are popular). Sorry for such a long response to such a quick comment. You're hardly alone in your feelings, and especially if you are religious I could see one finding it harder still to take.

Logan, thank you for your thoughtful response. 

I think you've described my experience pretty accurately! My friend Greg Walker of Synphonic Music shared a list of his 150 or so favorite albums, and I set off to experience all those I wasn't familiar with. I bought the CD Song to Comus, which has both First Utterance and To Keep from Crying. My response to First Utterance was indeed immediate and visceral. As I look back on it, perhaps the style combined with the story evoked the reaction. I do favor symphonic over acid folk--for example, I really enjoy IQ's The Road of Bones, which is about a serial killer--so that is likely a huge hurdle, one that given the subject matter probably proves too great to overcome. (I just perused someone's list of top 50 Acid Folk albums, and there are two on that list that I really like--Mellow Candle and Pererin--but most that I've heard I haven't been able to get into.) I am also religious--in fact, my church has a lay ministry, and I am currently serving as bishop of the local congregation--so that plays into it as well, though perhaps not to the degree that might be expected. I do strive to push my limits and try to appreciate bands and styles beyond my comfort zone. Sometimes I am rewarded, usually I at least can see the reasons for acclaim, rarely am I repulsed. Perhaps now that it's been several years since that first experience, maybe I could revisit Comus and at least begin see what the fuss is about, as opposed to absolutely hating it.

As far as Neal Morse goes, I'll admit he is my guilty prog pleasure. A few of his albums I adore, most I like, though I do not listen to his worship albums, only his prog output. I admit to owning the CD that the above clip comes from, and I did listen to it once this December. But I'm not a huge fan of that one. I do very much like his newest album, and One remains my favorite. 
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 13:38

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Logan, thank you for your thoughtful response.

I think you've described my experience pretty accurately! My friend Greg Walker of Synphonic Music shared a list of his 150 or so favorite albums, and I set off to experience all those I wasn't familiar with. I bought the CD Song to Comus, which has both First Utterance and To Keep from Crying. My response to First Utterance was indeed immediate and visceral. As I look back on it, perhaps the style combined with the story evoked the reaction. I do favor symphonic over acid folk--for example, I really enjoy IQ's The Road of Bones, which is about a serial killer--so that is likely a huge hurdle, one that given the subject matter probably proves too great to overcome. (I just perused someone's list of top 50 Acid Folk albums, and there are two on that list that I really like--Mellow Candle and Pererin--but most that I've heard I haven't been able to get into.) I am also religious--in fact, my church has a lay ministry, and I am currently serving as bishop of the local congregation--so that plays into it as well, though perhaps not to the degree that might be expected. I do strive to push my limits and try to appreciate bands and styles beyond my comfort zone. Sometimes I am rewarded, usually I at least can see the reasons for acclaim, rarely am I repulsed. Perhaps now that it's been several years since that first experience, maybe I could revisit Comus and at least begin see what the fuss is about, as opposed to absolutely hating it.

As far as Neal Morse goes, I'll admit he is my guilty prog pleasure. A few of his albums I adore, most I like, though I do not listen to his worship albums, only his prog output. I admit to owning the CD that the above clip comes from, and I did listen to it once this December. But I'm not a huge fan of that one. I do very much like his newest album, and One remains my favorite. 

Thank you for your beautiful response, Todd.

As much as I have appreciated the music of First Utterance, and can look at the expression of it as more of a story when looking at it more academically/ intellectually, not only do the lyrics make me uncomfortable, but the concept does disturb me, and the singing of course can be utterly beastly (as I said, made more nightmarish having him sing in such a manner with her more pure innocent voice as contrast. I would not recommend listening to it again as it can sully one somehow and make one's spirit feel less pure.

Wholesome it is not. It is occult/ pagan thematically, and the more I think about it, the more I understand such strong, negative reactions that it invokes in people. Vile and sinister it can be, and also very, I find, almost achingly beautiful (especially on The Herald of F.U. which make it even more sinister. Sometimes I think I've become far too desensitized, and I don't want to not be a sensitive person.

I think Comus is very talented, and they were really young when they came out with it, and obviously had some dark interests. It's a shame in way that they came out with such an album early on as it typecast them. Those who were revolted would not want to hear more, and those who loved it found the next much nicer, and much more of a feel-good album a total sell-out (I love about half of To Keep From Crying, but it's not so unique an album as F.U. although I think it unique in my collection as a collection of songs). To be really glib, some might say that with First Utterance they sold their souls to the devil and with To Keep From Crying they sold their souls to corporate rock or the mainstream (though all of their albums have some creepiness). Incidentally, their third album is called Out of the Coma, which is a really hokey name, and reminds me far too much of when Spinal Tap came out with a comeback song called Back From The Dead (not exactly chilling).

I like Mellow Candle and Pererin too, and actually I commonly like Comus best when they have a rather lush symphonic pastoral feel to the music. But I really like sad folk, like Linda Perhacs and this Vashti Bunyan, I adore Vashti, is kind of my ultimate folk song (sweet, melancholy, simple and I find it achingly beautiful):

Neal Morse is one that I haven't yet acquired the taste for. I think his less Prog work may be what I should check out as I commonly appreciate simplicity and understatedness, which can come across as much more elegant than, well Prog, which can be lacking in subtlety.

Edited by Logan - December 15 2016 at 13:42
 Post Reply Post Reply