Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat album have you owned the most copies of?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 11:17
Triumvirat-Illusions On A Double Dimple-Dutch lp, 2002 remastered CD, Japan mini lp CD,CD remastered in the late 1980s.

Edited by presdoug - December 15 2016 at 11:18
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 12:37
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

^  4 track tape decks for cars were very popular in the sixties and I think they were better than the 8 track.

"better than the 8 track" isn't a very high bar to get over ... LOL
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 13:43
Multiple copies of CTTE, and several of the King Crimson albums....but I usually have two copies of all my favorite albums....one on lp and one on cd.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 15:13
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

^  4 track tape decks for cars were very popular in the sixties and I think they were better than the 8 track.

"better than the 8 track" isn't a very high bar to get over ... LOL

The bar wasn't very high at all Smile. But in the sixties tapes were a very big deal compared to AM radio which was what all cars had (and AM wasn't even stereo).

There was no real improvement in sound quality between 4 track and 8 track. The main difference was having two programs to choose from with 4 track and four programs with 8 track.
It's easy to divide an album in half (4 track) but when it's divided into quarters (8 track) some songs are almost always going to get interrupted. 
That's why I thought 4 tracks were better.

Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 16:52
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Probably on my fourth copy of Close to the Edge and Fragile.

Not the same thing, but I was running through my iTunes list recently and I have 19 different versions of Roundabout (including live, bootleg live, and a live version by Asia). That seems kind of weird.

Man, and I thought my 11 versions of Statesboro Blues was a bit much.

I actually came very close to owning three copies of Bubu's Anabelas not too long ago. Like my Yes albums, I have one copy that I keep at home and one for the car, and to my surprise I was looking through the local record store and saw a copy of it there, too! For just $12! I got so excited I almost screamed. My favourite album of all time! I can finally get a copy of my very own! But then a few seconds later I remembered that I already have two, and I suppose there's no practical reason to own a monopoly on obscure Argentinian prog records in Canada. LOL
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 17:00
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Dark side of the moon: Three vinyl and several remastered CD editions.

Yes, DSotM. Vinyl, 8-Tracks, cassettes and CDs. Probably Days of Future Past next with almost as many versions, followed by Aqualung (quad and stereo) and LZ IV.

Edited by The Dark Elf - December 15 2016 at 17:00
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 20:52
I've owned a preposterous number of copies of Aqualung over the years, in every imaginable format. I even have a copy in the short-lived minidisc format.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2016 at 01:34
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Dark side of the moon: Three vinyl and several remastered CD editions.

I got that one three times, but maybe a fourth in the future

The vinyl (bought in 74), the XXth Ann CD (which atrocious to listen to, because of unbearable high freq) and the 5.1 version... Maybe going to rebuy it the CD vinyl replica if I find it cheap (found the surrounding albums for 8€ each), but it won't be those cheap-but-expensive Floyd remasters

I still have some Floyd vinyls from the 70's, but not DSOTM, BTW

==============

Some Crimson and Genesis I have bought quite a few times:

- the vinyl in the 70's (most likely some/most used), most of which I got rid of (or lost in lends/loans)
- First generation CD (those picture-disc boxset for Genesis), which I got rid of a while ago >> mosty given as gifts)
- The 30th ann Crimson mini-lps (early 00's) and those first Genesis remasters (late 90's), which where replaced by the mini-LP replicas in the early 00's
- The 40th Ann for three Crimson albums (the DVD video contents oblige) and the Genesis green boxset (DVD video contents oblige)
- Whenever I find a good-shaped 70's album-sleeved vinyl from either band for cheap around 5€ (don't care about the state of the disc itself), I buy it too, so I have the vinyl as well

Yeah, I know, I'm a Wacko LOL

Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2016 at 04:43
Originally posted by Michael P. Dawson Michael P. Dawson wrote:

I've owned a preposterous number of copies of Aqualung over the years, in every imaginable format. I even have a copy in the short-lived minidisc format.

Did that require multiple mini-discs?

I owned a handful of those, but I had a CD player that wasn't a spindle, so I had to have a big plastic adapter for minidiscs and I kept misplacing it.

I have no idea where those minidiscs are now (not to mention that I'm sure that adapter ring is permanently lost now). . . and I had at least three Zappa minidiscs of stuff that was only released on minidisc and other rare formats--they were things that had only been released via magazines. For example, one was the same as a Guitar World cassette, one had stuff that had been released via Keyboard magazine on one of those floppy plastic discs (that you played like 45s--you needed to put a coin on them to help minimize the warp), etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12