This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Latter Day Genesis Vs. Latter Day Marillion
    Posted: March 27 2018 at 11:37
Now if you said Genesis after Hackett I could fairly easily vote for Hogarth-era Marillion. However, A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering tip it back to Genesis.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 09:18
Trick + Wuthering > Seasons + Holidays...but if you factor in the train wreck of Shapes + Invisible + Dance + Stations I'll take Marillion for the win Wink
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 04:51
^Itīs possible, I wouldnīt listen Genesis at all, if s/t had been their first album. Really havenīt anyway listened that, Invisible Touch and We Canīt Dance much (I think the last the most). There are anyway echoes of Genesis great progsongs, that are the reasons of those rare listenings.

Commonly I donīt like eighties "popular" sounds (I mean those plastic wall drum sounds & synths) but like many things in life, there are exceptions. Although Yes eighties albums are really eighties sounding, for some reason I like them, much more than for example those Genesis albums I mentioned. I think I canīt explain all the things in my music taste. Also, in Finland there was made many great albums with those horrible eighties sounds, but because the music is great, I can stand those sounds.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 04:05
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^No. I donīt hate neoprog, I just havenīt ever like it. I still have Marillion Real To Reel in a cassette, I believe I will listen it maybe after five years or at least ten. If it was the only cassette in the desert island, I would be glad I have it.

I donīt do anything for the reason itīs cool.

And I like Who Dunnit.

maybe I used the wrong word "cool". Neo-prog is possibly the most disliked subgenre here on PA, undeserving I dare say a lot of times (I have listened to some uninspired neo-prog, but then again doesn't any subgenre have its duds?). Genesis at its worst would still get more appreciation than Marillion at its best which is strange. 

What do you like about Whodunnit? It's one of the worst pieces of music I've ever heard if you ask me. Did you know You Might Recall was supposed to be on the album and they chose Whodunnit instead? If that is not a head-scratcher, I don't know what is. 
Well, I saw Marillion concert from television in the eighties, it wasnīt totally bad, but already then I knew Genesis seventies stuff and to me it seemed Fish wanted to be just Peter Gabriel. Also, the whole neoprog idea of seventies prog in the eighties sounds is not my cup of tea, specially I donīt like eighties synth sounds.

I am not really big eighties mainstream music lover (I mean those sounds what mainstream bands and also bands like Marillion used), really donīt think also Genesis music of that time was great music. But anyway I listen it rather than Marillion. I think Genesis were also then themselves, Marillion just seemed to want be the seventies Genesis with those horrible sounds without really anything own in their music. Who Dunnit also really isnīt my favourite Genesis piece, but saw & heard it first time in Genesis Three Sides Live-vid, itīs one of the only theatrical pieces of Collins and I liked that mad humour in it.

Also, in the nineties I had a friend who was a big Marillion-fan. He played me Fugazi & Misplaced Childhood and tried to convience me how great they were. I didnīt understand him.

You say you don't like 80s synth sounds but Genesis used those more than Marillion at the time. Genesis used loops and drum machines when they had one of the best drummers ever. 

Personnaly I admire what Twelfth Night, IQ and Marillion (and some others) did in the early 80s, it was going against of what was going on in the mainstream at the time. 

I don't think Fish was forcing himself to sound or be Peter Gabriel. He also was influenced by Hammill and it's quite visible. 

Genesis was not the only influence on Marillion in the 80s, there was so much more there. 

Personally I don't get it how pop Genesis gets more love than Marillion, Fish or Hogarth. 

I know Whodunnit was meant to be a joke, but to me it's just a bad one then. 

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 03:47

^No. I donīt hate neoprog, I just havenīt ever like it. I still have Marillion Real To Reel in a cassette, I believe I will listen it maybe after five years or at least ten. If it was the only cassette in the desert island, I would be glad I have it.

And I like Who Dunnit.

maybe I used the wrong word "cool". Neo-prog is possibly the most disliked subgenre here on PA, undeserving I dare say a lot of times (I have listened to some uninspired neo-prog, but then again doesn't any subgenre have its duds?). Genesis at its worst would still get more appreciation than Marillion at its best which is strange. 

What do you like about Whodunnit? It's one of the worst pieces of music I've ever heard if you ask me. Did you know You Might Recall was supposed to be on the album and they chose Whodunnit instead? If that is not a head-scratcher, I don't know what is. 
Well, I saw Marillion concert from television in the eighties, it wasnīt totally bad, but already then I knew Genesis seventies stuff and to me it seemed Fish wanted to be just Peter Gabriel. Also, the whole neoprog idea of seventies prog in the eighties sounds is not my cup of tea, specially I donīt like eighties synth sounds.

I am not really big eighties mainstream music lover (I mean those sounds what mainstream bands and also bands like Marillion used), really donīt think also Genesis music of that time was great music. But anyway I listen it rather than Marillion. I think Genesis were also then themselves, Marillion just seemed to want be the seventies Genesis with those horrible sounds without really anything own in their music. Who Dunnit also really isnīt my favourite Genesis piece, but saw & heard it first time in Genesis Three Sides Live-vid, itīs one of the only theatrical pieces of Collins and I liked that mad humour in it.

Also, in the nineties I had a friend who was a big Marillion-fan. He played me Fugazi & Misplaced Childhood and tried to convience me how great they were. I didnīt understand him.

Edited by Mortte - March 27 2018 at 03:49
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 02:54

And I like Who Dunnit.

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 02:43

And I like Who Dunnit.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 02:38
^ right
Marillion and neo genre are so cool to hate, Whodunnit would win polls against any Marillion songs. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 02:33
Genesis go over Marillion, whatever era there has been (except the last one without Collins).
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 02:13
btw, how is Collins era the same as later day Genesis the same thing. Collins era started 1976. When would "later day" start for Genesis? 80s? 90s? Their last album was in 1997. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 02:02
Collins-era Genesis for me. Marillion is excellent, though!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 04:57
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Another close one but Marillion never released anything as dreadful as We Can't Dance.

Marillion has never released anything as dreadful as any post Duke Genesis. 

Neither did they release anything as good as Duke (or the other three previous albums, FTM)

Only Script rivals with W&W (and betters ATTWT and Duke, but still lags far beyond and behind TotT)

I'm honestly tempted to make some Genesis vs Marillion polls, but I predict Marillion would lose every time, simply because of the hatred people have for neo-prog (which Marillion is not anymore - LOL)
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 01:35

Another close one but Marillion never released anything as dreadful as We Can't Dance.

Neither did they release anything as good as Duke (or the other three previous albums, FTM)

Only Script rivals with W&W (and betters ATTWT and Duke, but still lags far beyond and behind TotT)
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2017 at 00:39
As above. TOTT and WAW are masterpieces obviously superior to any Marillion, but anything after Duke is inferior to H - Marillion.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 09:06

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 09:00
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 03:40
It would've been more honest to propose a post-Hackett Genesis (starting with ATTWT)...
or even a Post-70's Genesis (starting after Duke) to give any kind of Marillion a chance to win this bout
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 03:31
I go for Genesis. The h era Marillion albums have their moments for sure (some of them quite big, might I say) but TOTT, WaW and ATTWT are what I prefer to listen to much more often.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 03:09
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Marillion  Collins turned Genesis into a pop band

all three of them turned Genesis into a pop band. 

Marillion got my vote, too. 
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 12:08
Marillion ClapClapClap Collins turned Genesis into a pop bandWink
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>