Poll Question: Who is greater?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
64 [58.72%]
45 [41.28%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 03:08
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

To be honest, I've always thought Genesis was a poor man's Van der Graaf Generator.
Have to say this is very ridicilous claim. Not ever also will say Van Der Graaf poor menīs Genesis. Theyīre just so different. But anyway I really like Van Der Graaf, but itīs not even the near of the greatness of Genesis.

Very little makes me balk, but the above quote sure did Shocked

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 03:26
Originally posted by charles_ryder charles_ryder wrote:

VDGG is the solo project of Peter Hammill imho. I like it, but the band (like Genesis) is something more than one man and some good musicians (like VDGG).
Donīt agree also this. You can easily say then that Jethro has always been just solo project of Ian Anderson.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 03:52
Talk about apples and oranges!

Genesis get my vote but VDGG are excellent. Godlbluff and Still life would be in my prog top 20, and Pawn Hearts wouldnt be far behind them!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
charles_ryder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles_ryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 04:25

Originally posted by charles_ryder charles_ryder wrote:

VDGG is the solo project of Peter Hammill imho. I like it, but the band (like Genesis) is something more than one man and some good musicians (like VDGG).
Donīt agree also this. You can easily say then that Jethro has always been just solo project of Ian Anderson.
Why not? After the Benefit or maybe after the Aqualang Jethro Tull is the Ian's project, for sure Smile
om mani padme hum
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 05:46
^Tull has sounded a really great band to me always, so does VDGG.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 09:32
As much as I love VDGG, Genesis is the clear winner here.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 09:46
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

To be honest, I've always thought Genesis was a poor man's Van der Graaf Generator.
Have to say this is very ridicilous claim. Not ever also will say Van Der Graaf poor menīs Genesis. Theyīre just so different. But anyway I really like Van Der Graaf, but itīs not even the near of the greatness of Genesis.

Originally posted by I
 prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Interestingly David Bowie liked to call himself "Poor man's Peter Hammill". He was a big fan of Hammill and attended the reunion concert of VdGG at the Royal Festival Hall on May 6th 2005.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 10:52

One "ridicilous" claim followed by another, I'm afraid. Both achieved their own level of greatness to adequately rival one another (early on, in fact, it was the Vans who were setting the bar).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 13:07

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I guess most people would think it the other way around. However, musically, I don't see so much similarity (except that hey both play prog)... I guess VdGG is more similar to King Crimson. But in the theatrical vocals part, yeah, I guess they are similar. Most people will love Peter Gabriel more, but for me indeed Peter Hamill does it much better... I just mostly don't like Gabriel's singing. And I think Hamill's lyrics are better too.

It's not really a "claim", just something I have thought and chose to say at this time. It goes way back to the time when my musical taste was expanding from heavy metal to progressive rock, when I was initially exposed to the music of Genesis and Van der Graaf Generator. At that time, I thought there was a similarity between these two groups (also King Crimson) not shared with groups such as Yes or ELP. The similarity was enough for me to regard Genesis as a poor man's Van der Graaf Generator, but also the difference was enough for me to regard Genesis as a poor man's Van der Graaf Generator. Don't get me wrong, I do like the music of (early) Genesis. But compared to Van der Graaf Generator, Genesis is lacking the things that I especially love about Van der Graaf Generator.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 14:06

I guess most people would think it the other way around.

Then they would be wrong because Genesis is the better known group whose music is easier to obtain and more accessible.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 14:09
I love both but Genesis is something else 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 15:07

I guess most people would think it the other way around.

Then they would be wrong because Genesis is the better known group whose music is easier to obtain and more accessible.

Thank you, Captain Hyperbole.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 15:09
VDGG by far.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 16:28
^^ Really? By far??
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 17:45
Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

I'm not going to choose one over there other (though I do have a preference). I would say though that Genesis is good at presenting the bright and harmonious side of life, and VDGG is good at presenting the darker and more striking side of life. There's a place for both, and both should be appreciated for their unique and original approaches. 

I still don't get this spirit of judging and rating among the prog. crowd. Seems like the uglier side of western "civilization" and trying to pick the "king" and the winner, and move folks up or down some kind of imaginary ladder. Prog doesn't need hierarchies and judging and criteria for value.

Found this great posting in the thread.
I'm really schizophrenic on that one. I love the numbers games including ranking and voting but ultimately this is one thing and proper music appreciation is a totally different thing.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 20:01
^ If someone doesn't like the rating thing, then why is he checking out the polls section of a forum? However, yeah, in an idealistic way of seeing it, it seems ugly and whatever, but it's really very useful to get to know new bands. You have to start somewhere, and there's so much available that you can't just listen to all and decide which you like better to start with. So you check lists, rankings, polls, whatever to have somewhere to start.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 20:05
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Interestingly David Bowie liked to call himself "Poor man's Peter Hammill". He was a big fan of Hammill and attended the reunion concert of VdGG at the Royal Festival Hall on May 6th 2005.

That is actually rather interesting! I never knew that. Neat!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2023 at 12:11
Bump from ancient past with a vote to VdGG. 
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2023 at 12:17
Like both, but voted for Genesis.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2023 at 12:30
So many Genesis vs. polls, but I have tended to do such things too much with some of my favourites (i.e. Cardiacs, Swans, Magma, Art Zoyd, Area, Comus, Cos, VdGG, Stereolab etc. -- some much more than others).

VdGG for sure. The The Least We Can Do..., H to He...., and Pawn Hearts trilogy of album is incredible. The search for an album (especially for hearing "Hairless Heart" which I still really love) I heard at a bar which turned out to be The Lamb... may be most important to my deeper Prog journey, and that may have led to me discovering VdGG, but VdGG, which I discovered about 20 years ago, is the one that remained way more relevant and interesting to my tastes. I rarely play Genesis now even though I used to love plenty of 70s Genesis. Even by the time I had joined this site I would rarely listen to Genesis any longer as I had discovered a lot of music that excited and entranced me more. And "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" is so fantastic and nothing negative that Micky says about it will dissuade me. "Darkness" was another fave of mine. I started with hearing tracks rather than full albums. My first loves were "House with No Door" and "Man-erg".
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>