Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAtris (USA) for Eclectic Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atris (USA) for Eclectic Prog
    Posted: January 09 2017 at 23:06
Amazing! Interesting young band from Ogden, Utah.
This debut double album is a gem for prog music lover. Unlimited mixing the genres of progressive. From eclectica to fusion and avant-prog! I recommend!!!

- Alex Anglesey / Drums, Percussion, Synthesizer, Vocals 
- Stephen Beck / Bass Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Lead Vocals 
- Corey Collatz / Guitar, Keys (Part 3) 

ARTIS - 2015 - DOWN

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 03:55
These guys were mentioned in the Unsigned Bands forum by our old bandcamp buddy Svetonio back in early June 2015: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=102681. He described them as a heavy, eclectic progressive rock trio from Ogden, Utah, which was a pretty accurate summary imho.

At that time the album was just a 'name your price' download on bandcamp, but the guys have since had some digipack CDs pressed, and the digital version is no longer free (but still pretty cheap for what you get).

The instrumental track 'Transformation' was included in the free CD accompanying the April 2016 issue of 'Prog' magazine, and the digipack was released in July 2016. This is well over 80 minutes of music, so it's actually a 2-disc CD.

Here's the track that featured in 'Prog' magazine as uploaded on YouTube:

And another track (Part 4 (section 1) - The Ancient Zaglossus) can be heard via this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNJuCz8Dt7Y.

I guess the music is a mix of Progressive Metal, Stoner, a touch or two of Jazz/Fusion, with occasional interludes of quieter more experimental stuff thrown in along the way, and so Eclectic Prog might well be an appropriate place to start the evaluation off. This band certainly wouldn't be out of place in one of the metal subs either though - perhaps Exp/Post Metal? I dunno.

This stuff absolutely belongs on the site though, no doubt about that. Good find indeed, though having featured on the promo 'Prog' magazine CD more than 6 months ago I'm somewhat surprised that it's taken until now for someone to suggest these guys for inclusion here. Indeed, they might well already be under eval in Eclectic via the collab zone.

Svetonio added the band to progfreak back in mid 2015, but there's currently no PA tab, so the PM team certainly haven't gotten hold of them as yet: http://progfreak.com/Atris-163522.html.

It will be interesting to see where this one goes. Smile
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 21:58
I'm playing the album as I write this. Definitely a strong contender for inclusion on the site. It's hard for me to find a referential core from first listen, but I'm most consistently thinking this might be at home in heavy prog. 

Definitely one that'll take some time to think and reflect on, but thank you for the suggestion! Thumbs Up

Hopefully some collaborators on other teams will also take note of this band, because I could see a case being made for any number of different subgenres. Heavy prog comes to mind, as I mentioned, and I get some post-rock vibes from time to time, and of course they're always a consideration for eclectic.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
 Post Reply Post Reply