Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2017 albums!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 10:40
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by Zugzwang Zugzwang wrote:

this was a disappointment
Agreed, unfortunately. I've listened to it a few times, and there hasn't been anything that's made me want to return to it. Just feels very uninspired.

I checked out the new Cheer-Accident album yesterday and loved it, though. Not a band I've heard before, I'll definitely have to look into their discography.

Agreed. So 'normal' and not terribly musically focused. The last two tracks are really the only ones of note IMO.

As for Cheer-Accident...I'd recommend Sever Root, Tree Dies and Enduring The American Dream. (Most people will point you towards Fears Draws Misfortune, which should probably be heard, but hasn't really enamored me.)

Cheer-Accident Reco's
1. Fear Draws Misfortune - consistently recommended as a start point, along with Miriodor - Avanti! opened the door to modern avant for me.
2. Introducing Lemons - their classic
3. Sever Root, Tree Dies
4. Enduring The American Dream
5. No Ifs, Ands Or Dogs
Ian

Anyone who thinks Kansas is Prog get out of the room - Adolf Hitler

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 12:07
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Zugzwang Zugzwang wrote:

this was a disappointment
Agreed, unfortunately. I've listened to it a few times, and there hasn't been anything that's made me want to return to it. Just feels very uninspired.

I checked out the new Cheer-Accident album yesterday and loved it, though. Not a band I've heard before, I'll definitely have to look into their discography.

Agreed. So 'normal' and not terribly musically focused. The last two tracks are really the only ones of note IMO.

As for Cheer-Accident...I'd recommend Sever Root, Tree Dies and Enduring The American Dream. (Most people will point you towards Fears Draws Misfortune, which should probably be heard, but hasn't really enamored me.)

Cheer-Accident Reco's
1. Fear Draws Misfortune - consistently recommended as a start point, along with Miriodor - Avanti! opened the door to modern avant for me.
2. Introducing Lemons - their classic
3. Sever Root, Tree Dies
4. Enduring The American Dream
5. No Ifs, Ands Or Dogs

My problem with Introducing Lemon is that it is too inconsistent. ETAD and SRTD are really the only two I listen to all the way through without skipping anything. (Fear... may also make that list, it's been forever since I've heard it and really don't remember much about it)
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 12:12
Garlic helps the memory Phil. That's why tzaziki is so popular with elephants.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 08:24
I may be a bit late for my mid-year's update. The best listens so far (in order of release date, no ranking):

Djam Karet - Sonic Celluloid
Nooumena - Controlled Freaks
Cast - Power and Outcome
Jean-Pierre Louveton - Le Livre Blanc
Steve Hackett - The Night Siren
Big Big Train - Grimspound
Il Tempio delle Clessidre - Il-lūdĕre
Dean Watson - Sum of Parts
Big Big Train - The Second Brightest Star
Discipline - Captives of the Wine Dark Sea - Not the masterpiece I hoped for, nevertheless a charming album

Edited by someone_else - July 24 2017 at 08:41
When I have proved that I'm not a robot, access may be denied.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
  Share Topic