Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteven Wilson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 06:13
Porcupine Tree peaked around In Absentia/Deadwing for me. FOABP had some very good moments though. The Incident was a yawn fest..

Not heard enough of SW's solo efforts to really comment, but what I have heard sounds 'nice' but not particularly inspiring.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 09:27
In Absentia and Deadwing are very very good; I never understood how Blank Planet could end up as the highest rated PT album. I respect SW's solo work but he hasn't come up with anything as good as In Absentia and Deadwing.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 13:28
Porcupine tree IS Steven Wilson. No reason to make a choice.
And my wife prefers Blackfield Wink
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 14:02
In general PT over Wilson .....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 14:04
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Porcupine Tree peaked around In Absentia/Deadwing for me. FOABP had some very good moments though. The Incident was a yawn fest..

Not heard enough of SW's solo efforts to really comment, but what I have heard sounds 'nice' but not particularly inspiring.

Did you try "Grace For Drowning?" It was by far his best album, and sounds an awful lot inspiring too me! Also, a quick song to try is "Drive Home." If you ever have the will to, you can tell me what you think of the sick guitar solo it features. :D
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 14:29
Originally posted by Watchmaker Watchmaker wrote:

I'm giving "Wild Opera" by No-Man a try. It seems very interesting. I'll probably try "Together We're Stranger" sometime today as well.

I searched for the "Stone to Flesh" album, but am rather shocked that I can't find it anywhere for free. What site do you usually use for free music?

Thepirat....ummm...YouTube, yes...YouTube...
Joking aside, if you google something like "stone to flesh Jansen", the second result is the full album uploaded on YouTube (at least for me). You can also search Youtube directly. There, it is the first result.
Bandcamp is an amazing site for free music. Bands upload their own music there and let you listen to it for free or buy their products.
Spotify has also a good variety of well known artists, but I'm new to it so I don't know its limitations.
You can generally stream about 99% of music for free on the Internet, legally and safely. Google is your friend Wink

Well, I've tried out the album, and it's really good, though I don't know if I'll continue listening to it in the future. In general, I never got into a lot of Japan stuff, but respect them, especially because of the great collaborations I've heard between David Sylvian and Robert Fripp. After all, Japan is partly Sylvian's band, isn't it?

Please tell me if I'm talking rubbish. I know almost nothing about the band XD. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123