Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crazy complex prog. The most demanding listens
    Posted: February 07 2017 at 08:47
Hey. I've made a list on RateYourMusic called 
  • Crazy complex prog rock

and i'm trying to find the absolutely most complex and demanding prog albums there are to be heard. Here is my list. Any suggestions for addition would be greatly appreciated since i'm always seeking out the most bizarre, experimental and demanding music that exists. Thanks!

The most unapologetic complex progressive rock music there is to be heard. This is music so dense, so convoluted and so uncompromising that it takes a fair number of listens to comprehend what's going on with some of these having taken me well over a decade to crack the secrets within. Some of my absolute favorite music exists in this realm where every musical idea swirls in creative concoctions of complex yumminess. Please let me know what i'm missing! This stuff tends to be underappreciated and obscure but for those with the patience and need for such stuff - an essential element for life happiness :) This list is pretty much limited to the rock genre which includes metal. I'll add more as i think of some i've missed. None of these are ranked in any particular order but all are heading for a 10 on the progometer scale of complexity
1Pictures

Island

Pictures (1977)

This crazy Swiss band created one of the weirdest prog workouts mostly based in the symphonic side of the genre. They released this one little gem of complexity "Pictures" that even after several decades rarely gets the respect it deserves simply because it is literally as alienating as the album cover suggests but well worth the effort if unrelenting prog rock workouts is what you crave. Yes, that is indeed an H.R. Giger painting on ISLAND's sole release
2A Passion Play

Jethro Tull

A Passion Play (1973)

Hot on the heels of the much more accessible "Thick As A Brick,"JETHRO TULL released their own prog folk rock answer to Yes' excesses heard in "Tales From Topographic Oceans." Upon first listen a seemingly random and chaotic rotisserie of gibberish and overweening pomp, but after well over a decade of letting this sink in has revealed itself to be a top dog of concept albums with so many elements stuffed into that it needs a period table of elements just to help the listener navigate. Like Rodney Dangerfield, still waiting to get the respect it deserves but history will surely prove it to be JT's most ambitious effort ever
3Tales From Topographic Oceans

Yes

Tales From Topographic Oceans (1973)

The oft loved and more ofter loathed double album extravaganza showing YES take their unique sound to the ultimate heights of prog pomp and grandiosity. While not as impenetrable as other albums on this list because it actually has quite accessilbe segments that basically take their already established sound and sew them together in a long drawn out fashion, it nonetheless qualifies as one of the most multifarious prog behemoths of music history with each of the four tracks swallowing up an entire side of the original vinyl LP. Castigated for having long drawn out segments that meander eternally, it equally provides passages so elaborate and tangled that leave the first time listeners scratching their heads in dismay
4Relayer

Yes

Relayer (1974)

Although Relayer was much more accepted by fans after the divisive "Tales From Topographic Oceans" doesn't mean it was any less complex, dense and layered. In fact i would argue it's even more so but somehow managed to channel and refine all the elements that take the limits of progressive rock and creatively invent newly founded hooks that yielded perfect compositions. The peak of YES' creative prowess can be heard on this album and then they would slowly slip into more commercial endeavors
5In Spite of Harrys Toe-Nail

Gnidrolog

In Spite of Harry's Toe-Nail (1972)

The Goldring brothers were always adventure seekers and when they finally released their debut album "In Spite Of Harry's Toe-Nail" even aficianados of the then burgeoning prog rock scene were thrown off by the sheer audacity and musical mangling heard on this album. While clearly steeped in the folk music that initiated their musical endeavors, GNIDROLOG took hitherto unheard liberties in aggregating some of the most labyrinthine and circuitous polyrhythmic melodies that have never truly been matched. This one requires a great many spins to sink in but has emerged as one of my all time favorites albums that even makes my desert isle list
6Brossaklitt

PoiL

Brossaklitt (2014)

A sonic celebration of spastic punk energy infused with psychedelic lysergic freakouts and childish Zappesque avant-prog that engulfs a near hour long of absolutely unrelenting craziness. Harsh and insulting to the ears like a Ruins album on steroids, France's PoiL delivers for the adventurous music lover who relishes in doing somersaults on roller coasters
7Death by Water

Yūgen

Death by Water (2016)

YUGEN's whole mission as a band was to create the most complex music possible and on "Death By Water" they succeed in creating a blissful sonic compound of tortured polyrhythms that play together like swirling electrons around an atom. While their other albums were steeped in complexity, this one takes it to new heights and also achieves an avant-prog yumminess that even manages to create a melodic underpinning to the mondo bizarro maelstrom of sounds
8Marsupilami

Marsupilami

Marsupilami (1970)

Nipping on the heals of King Crimson, MARSUPILAMI, also from the fertile British scene of the late 60s unleashed the most complex album of 1970 with an album filled with jaw-dropping complexiites such as incessant time signature and dynamic orgies of sound that change from rock to folk and beyond at a drop of the hat. While melodic passages are abound, they are steeped in dissonance, off-kilter jazz infused chord changes and sudden abrupt surprises that create most unorthodox compositional liberties that make this one of the most creative albums of all time
9Arena

Marsupilami

Arena (1971)

While some bands release one album of craziness and then calm down in hopes of more commerical exposure, MARSUPALAMI went the opposite direction by taking all of their bizarre and unique progressive rock complexity on "Arena" and added a concept story involving ancient Rome to the mix thus releasing the second and last album of their career. I'm still trying to figure out which one i love more
10In a Flesh Aquarium

Unexpect

In a Flesh Aquarium (2006)

While starting out as a rather avant-garde death metal meets classical music band, the dam of creativity burst wide open for their third release "In A Flesh Aquarium" which adopted the Mr Bungle approach and took it to disturbing new levels of craziness. While many bands have mastered the fine art of alternating musical genres in their compositions, UNEXPECT took disparate genres such as Western classical, dark cabaret, opera, jazz, funk, electronica, ambient, noise rock, circus music and gypsy swing and threw them all into a blender which when augmented by the beauty and beast vocal approach yielded THE most bizarre album in all of the metal universe. This one requires a ridiculous amount of listens to sink in but has a high pay off and has also become a candidate for the desert isle list
11Obscura

Gorguts

Obscura (1998)

This little gem is fairly popular these days for its unique tortuous and twisted take on death metal. Emerging on the tail end of the 90s after the golden age of extreme metal, GORGUTS departed from their fairly generic take on the death metal world after two albums and took the world by storm with their mangled technical wizardry on "Obscura" which has become the cornerstone of tech death metal influence for the 21st century. Despite having heard this for a while now, i still have no idea how it sounds until i put it on as the compositions are as atypical and non-traditional as is possible but somehow has hidden elements that create some sort of patterns of recognition that keep the listening experience a constant guessing game
12Fas – Ite, maledicti, in ignem aeternum

Deathspell Omega

Fas – Ite, maledicti, in ignem aeternum (2007)

DEATHSPELL OMEGA from France single handedly gave a much needed injection of creativity to the stagnating black metal scene in 2007 with their classic "Fas - Ite, Malecticti, In Ignem Aeternum." While firmly planted in the the black metal world thematically and instrumentally speaking, this mysterious band catapulted itself above the pack by creating one of the most bizarre and experimental black metal albums ever. The compositional structures are far beyond the simplicity of the previous decade as is the metaphysical nature of the lyrical content. Truly a major leap in complexity in this metal arena where not only black metal is given a much needed boost of energy but DEATHSPELL OMEGA proves they can traverse throughout the entire extreme metal universe and stitch it together without effort
13Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue

Kayo Dot

Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue (2006)

While most cite "Choirs Of The Eye" as their favorite KAYO DOT album, i'm quite partial to the second release "Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue" which musically is as convulated and impenetrable as the title and cover art suggest. Based on a tortuous assault of jangly guitar distortions with unthinkably complex jazz based chords and time signature assaults, this album also has lush chamber rock meets post-rock passages that flow like ethers in the eye of the hurricane that emerge around it. I honestly don't know why i love this one but once i put it on i'm mesmerized as it suspends every expectation of what music should be
14Boris

Yezda Urfa

Boris (1975)

One of the more accessible acts on this list is YEZDA URFA that takes hummable melodies and twists them and infuses them with virtuosic workouts on "Boris" that are so intense that some of the instruments must have surely melted during the recording of this album which was actually only supposed to be a demo to begin with. While somewhat easy to grasp upon first listen, subsequent listens to the details will awe with dizzying and daring sonic assaults that display a juggling of many facets of music simultaneously
15Ys

Il Balletto di Bronzo

Ys (1972)

One of Italy's most eccentric bands in the boom of RPI (Rock Progressivo Italiano). While most bands were going down a similar symphonic path laid out by PFM and Banco, some bands like the Naples natives IL BALLETTO DI BRONZO were much more daring and creative in how they approached their craft. Their triumphant album "Ys" is chock full of progressive workouts with huge swaths of purely experimental and alienating passages along the way with some of the most energetic and frenetic musical displays of any album of the early 70s
16The World of Genius Hans

Moving Gelatine Plates

The World of Genius Hans (1972)

One of the scant non-English followers of the UK's Canterbury Scene came from France's MOVING GELATINE PLATES that took all the zany whimsy and jazz-rock fusion workouts found from the likes of Soft Machine and Caravan and infused it all with a healthy dose of extreme musical acrobatics and insanity which resulted in the OMG offering "The World Of Genius Hans". The musicianship is off the chart as the band navigates some of the bizarro mondo musical terrain that results in ridiculously complex but satisfying compositions that took the experimental rock scene to some of the most ambitious offerings that have ever been recorded
17Teeter Slaughter

Buckethead

Teeter Slaughter (2014)

One of many totally "out there" examples in the BUCKETHEAD Pike series. "Teeter Slaughter" is one of my absolute favorites as the chicken lover meanders through his own musical universe and in the process offers the energy of thrash metal, the compositional complexity of avant-garde jazz all decorated with the most bizarre sprinklings that experimental rock has to offer. This all instrumental album is guaranteed to take you somewhere you never knew existed and is the perfect album to prove to anyone that Buckethead is more than funk rock and cheesy lullaby music. This is his most adventuous stuff he has to offer
18Caution Radiation Area

Area

Caution Radiation Area (1974)

Italy's most left-leaning and unapologetic avant-jazz-fusionists AREA managed to add catchy melodies to the majority of their albums with lots of influences from the Balkans in the way of gypsy music, but on "Caution Radiation Area" the band created a bizarre concept album which begins much like their other albums but incrementally becomes more disjointed and breaks down altogether as chaos at the end which i have always taken as representing the effects of radition on the human body or other biological systems
19Psychogenic Atrophy

Dimesland

Psychogenic Atrophy (2014)

DIMESLAND takes the extreme metal thing to new worlds. With a title like "Psychogenic Atrophy" which sort of means the failing and weakening of mental and emotional processes, it is apparent that this music is meant to assault the senses and slay any expectations of preordained compositions and take the listener on a startling and often frightening audio journey. While this isn't one that i've gravitated towards often, there is no doubt that it delivers some of the most complex prog metal there is to be heard with everything from extreme time signature and tempo changes to complete breakdown in any structure. Although i HATE the album cover i have to admit this is a good candidate for some of the most extreme and proggy metal since Gorguts' Obscura (that i've heard)
20Disco Volante

Mr. Bungle

Disco Volante (1995)

MR BUNGLE proved on their first album they could be as eclectic as any 70s prog rock artist but it wasn't until their second album "Disco Volante" that they really let their freak flag fly. This album is the perfect concocted infusion of everything from blues, jazz, death metal, ambient, funk to ample amounts of prog and ethnic influences combining to create an album like no other. Despite the everything but the kitchen sink approach MR BUNGLE manage to create the perfect balance of accessible catchy melodic segments with jarring and psychologically damaging assaults. One of my favorite albums of all time
21Circumvision

Kracq

Circumvision (1978)

KRACQ is a bit of an obscurity of crazy prog from the Netherlands and released their sole album "Circumvision" in 1978. The albums comes off more as two EPs rather than a cohesive whole but is quite the adventuous album in both regards. The first side is an array of complex symphonically based rock craziness taking extreme liberties with both time signature changes and tempo. The second half is somewhat more mainstream with synthesized vocal parts but as a whole this is one weird album that may not reach the heights of complexity as other albums on this list but is just bizarre enough and relentless at times for me to include it
22Out of the Abyss

Pentwater

Out of the Abyss (1992)

What was supposed to be their second release in the 70s didn't actually find a release date until 1992. Pentwater was one of the most creative bands to come out of the less fertile prog scene of the USA. With an energetic symphonic approach of Keith Emerson along with crazy roller coaster prog workouts and strange off-kilter melodies, this is the stuff brutal prog dreams are made of. This unapologetically maelstrom of sound meanders all over the musical map with outstanding musical cohesion and pleasant high resister vocals that always have just enough hook to keep the listener engaged in familiarity but then once hooked takes a completely different journey altogether
23Sangrou

Satanique Samba Trio

Sangrou (2007)

This Brazilian band sounds like no other and takes the bizarre world of avant-jazz and marries it with samba and rock. The result is some of the strangest music i've ever heard with all the attributes of both jazz and prog rock happily dancing side by side with the cheerful edge of samba keeping it from teetering into darkness. Really must be experienced to be comprehended. SATANIQUE SAMBA TRIO definately hit on something with their debut "Sangrou"
24Hérésie

Univers zéro

Hérésie (1979)

No one has ever made a chamber rock album more haunting and freaky than UNIVERS ZÉRO did with their second album "Hérésie". This bizarre album ratchets up the emotional dread and creepiness completely over the top for its near one hour run. With an instrumental 13 minute plus track dedicated to Jack The Ripper, you know this isn't suitable for a Disney film. This is pure horror flick soundtrack music which is made even more so by the complexities involved in the compositions
25Symphonie pour le jour oů brűleront les cités

Art Zoyd 3

Symphonie pour le jour oů brűleront les cités (1976)

ART ZOYD was one of the first to take chamber rock and marry it with complex progressive rock to create some of the most bizarre music ever laid down to tape. While very much steeped in free jazz and classical music, "Symphonie Pour Le Jour Oů Brűleront Les Cités" also has healthy doses of Zappa inspired avant-prog rock but mostly resides in some parallel experimental plane that mere mortals don't often experience
26For You the Old Women

Mirthrandir

For You the Old Women (1976)

This was an American (United Statesian that is) band that delivered complexity for complexity's sake, MIRTHRANDIR released their sole album "For You The Old Women" in 1976 and disappeared from the music scene but this one album has a whole career's worth of ideas stuffed into every nook and cranny. Much like Pentwater and Yezda Urfa, MIRTHRANDIR was ruthless with complex time signature changes, tempo upheavals and unpredicatable style changes that keep the listener engaged throughout its all too brief run
27Lizard

King Crimson

Lizard (1970)

After KING CRIMSON helped launch the progressive rock explosion in 1969, they didn't just stop there and only a year later created one of the most complex albums of 1970 with "Lizard". The album cover artwork alone should be on a museum wall for its intricate depiction of the subject matter that is presented in the music itself. While progressive rock itself was still very much a newbie on the music scene, KC was already experimenting with avant-jazz and classical elements while adding ample amounts of art rock and experimental elements. This is one of the KC albums that has taken me the longest to appreciate but once it finally clicked it was as good as gold and probably one i could spend a whole life time trying to figure out and still not figure it all out
28In Praise of Learning

Henry Cow

In Praise of Learning (1975)

After a couple albums that sounded more like avant-jazz with a few rock elements behind them, HENRY COW toured with the progressive pop outfit Slapp Happy and hit it off so well that they basically merged into one act under the HC moniker. While one would think that anything involving Slapp Happy would steer the creative juice more towards the accessible side, on "In Praise Of Learning" it steers in the opposite direction. This is some strange otherworldly music here that takes the principles of extreme free jazz and tames it into certain avant-prog patterns of musical creation but are totally unique. In most cases it sounds like all the instruments are playing in different time signatures and augmented by Dagmar's bizarre vocalizations. HENRY COW was truly revolutionary with this kind of stuff and was the obvious influence for all kinds of bands like Thinking Plague and a gazillion others to follow
29Western Culture

Henry Cow

Western Culture (1979)

After Slapp Happy dissolved from the brief fusion of bands, HENRY COW released their final magnus opus "Western Culture" which took all the otherworldly aspects of In Praise Of Learning even further minus the vocals which meant more time to explore the strangest and more complex ways of instrument interactions. Fred Frith particularly stands out with his alternative tuning system on his guitar as well as the bombastic in-yer-faith time signature leaps into other dimensions. An extremely demanding album that is almost like a photographic negative in sound of anything else that was going on at the time
30Trout Mask Replica

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band

Trout Mask Replica (1969)

Who says there is no such thing as progressive blues rock? Well one listen to CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & HIS MAGIC BAND's bizarre "Trout Mask Replica" will tell you otherwise. While long associated within the Frank Zappa universe, Don Glen Vliet AKA the CAPTAIN was just plain nuts. This album was one of the many surprises of 1969 but has become a cult hit over the years but still remains a challenging and off-the-wall listen. Definately not one that earns an instant ticket to your heart but does cast its spell once experienced enough :)
31Full Horn

Cornucopia

Full Horn (1973)

The Hamburg based CORNUCOPIA took Krautrock to new heights with their one and only release "Full Horn" that bascially combined all the disparate strains of Kraut into one lysergic experience. One can hear aspects of Can, Amon Duul II, Popol Vuh and pretty much the rest of the related pack shapeshifting into a bizarre musical experience at the prog peak of 1973
32Tanz der Lemminge

Amon Düül II

Tanz der Lemminge (1971)

AMON DÜÜL II went for broke with their third album "Tanz Der Lemminge" where the band reemerged after a series of tragedies and created one of the most bizarre and creative albums of their career. Far beyond the two previous albums, this one takes the listener through a whole spectrum of contemplative and psychedelic experiences which allows the listener to suspend all preconceived notions and fall into a deep hypnotic trance of the band's making. Originally a double vinyl LP, "Tanz" is the perfect gateway to a primieval trance that sums up the Krautrock movement in perfect form

Edited by siLLy puPPy - February 07 2017 at 08:47

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 09:17
Shub-Niggurath's Les Morts Vont Vite could fit, in my opinion. Egg's Polite Force? "A Visit to Newport Hospital" is pleasant, but the rest might be found hard to chew on by newcommers. Maybe something by Les Rallizes Denudes?
EDIT: Definitely John Greaves' Kew. Rhone. That's a very complex album, especially if one wishes to dig deeper into the lyrics.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - February 07 2017 at 09:38
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 09:23
Absolutely love this kind of albums, seems like a list full of recommendations, but to my ears some of Gentle Giant is very complex and demanding for the listener, thinking of Octopus, The Power And The Glory and Interview mainly.
Can't compare them to most of your list though.

Edited by DDPascalDD - February 07 2017 at 09:24
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 09:46
I think Mile Oldfield's Amarok would also qualify for inclusion on your list. A purposefully uncommerical 60-minute piece of predominantly instrumental music that constantly changes themes and styles (often using dissonant stabs) as soon as the listener gets too comfortable.

Having spent the past few years relying more and more on synthesizers such as the Fairlight CMI, Mike reverts to the spirit of his first four instrumental albums and focusing on hand-played instruments. Known as a multi-instrumentalist, Oldfield plays more instruments than on any album in his career, along with unusual sound effects such as firecrackers, a faucet running, broken glass, and a vacuum cleaner.

Tubular Net has a Amarok Analysis page that shows how often themes change and reappear.

Edited by Replayer - February 07 2017 at 09:47
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 10:15
Demanding listens?

Try out Geinoh Yamashirugumi's Osorezan, Igor Wakhevitch's Docteur Faust, Dedalus' second album (also absurdly complex!) and Ron Geesin's As He Stands.

Complex? ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition (not that good though), Bubu's Anabelas, Esperanto's Danse Macabre and just about anything Claudio Milano sings on (could just as easily have been listed above).
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Watchmaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 10:29
Thank You Scientist maybe?
There is also this new band called Brain Tentacles. Pretty crazy. Here is their debut album (2016)
https://braintentacles.bandcamp.com/
And I just saw you have already reviewed it!! You are everywhere man LOL
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 10:45
Unrest is the most demanding album of Henry Cow, IMO.
Kew. Rhone. +1
The Residents? Electric Masada, Naked City?

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 11:21
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Shub-Niggurath's Les Morts Vont Vite could fit, in my opinion. Egg's Polite Force? "A Visit to Newport Hospital" is pleasant, but the rest might be found hard to chew on by newcommers. Maybe something by Les Rallizes Denudes?
EDIT: Definitely John Greaves' Kew. Rhone. That's a very complex album, especially if one wishes to dig deeper into the lyrics.

Nice suggestions. Les Morts is certainly dark and gloomy with an interesting midpoint between zeuhl and chamber rock but not sure if it's what i'm looking for. It has a rather straight froward delivery and not all over the place like the albums listed. I own Polite Force but need to revisit it. Les Rallizes isn't really progressive rock. More noise / folk / punk oriented. Greaves is a contender. I'll give it another listen. Thanks

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 11:23
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

Absolutely love this kind of albums, seems like a list full of recommendations, but to my ears some of Gentle Giant is very complex and demanding for the listener, thinking of Octopus, The Power And The Glory and Interview mainly.
Can't compare them to most of your list though.

I was considering Gentle Giant but i'm looking for impenetrable on first listens and although GG is quite complex music, they were so masterful that they made it somewhat accessible for newbies. Same with Van Der Graaf 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 11:25
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Demanding listens?

Try out Geinoh Yamashirugumi's Osorezan, Igor Wakhevitch's Docteur Faust, Dedalus' second album (also absurdly complex!) and Ron Geesin's As He Stands.

Complex? ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition (not that good though), Bubu's Anabelas, Esperanto's Danse Macabre and just about anything Claudio Milano sings on (could just as easily have been listed above).

I knew i could count on you, David! You're as out there as i am LOL I completely forgot about Dedalus' 2nd which i actually reviewed however i'm not sure that's progressive rock any more. It is more of an experimental sound collage. I'll revisit it. Definately one of the hardest listens! Claudio Milano for sure. Forgot about him as well. Bubu is a contender as well. Have missed out on most of the others you mentioned so will check em out. Mange tak!

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 11:26
Not sold on the complexity of TFTO. Its mostly just long.

Short list

Gentle Giant - The Power and the Glory, Octopus
Dün - Arrakis
Zappa - Roxy and Elsewhere, One Size Fits All
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior (I know its JRF, but it's themes and presentations are undeniably Prog )
UK - UK

And this is avoiding metal. Though you did kind of open the door with Unexpect.

Edited by Tapfret - February 07 2017 at 11:29
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 11:27
Originally posted by Watchmaker Watchmaker wrote:

Thank You Scientist maybe?
There is also this new band called Brain Tentacles. Pretty crazy. Here is their debut album (2016)
https://braintentacles.bandcamp.com/
And I just saw you have already reviewed it!! You are everywhere man LOL

Haven't heard Thank You Scientist. Brain Tentacles isn't really what i'm looking for either. It's daring but not "OMG i'm taking your soul to another dimension" type out there LOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 11:29
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Not sold on the complexity of TFTO. Its mostly just long.

Short list

Gentle Giant - The Power and the Glory, Octopus
Dün - Arrakis
Zappa - Roxy and Elsewhere, One Size Fits All
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior (I know its JRF, but it's themes and presentations are undeniably Prog )
UK - UK

You know, i've been having second thoughts about TFTO as well but thought i'd leave it in just to be controversial LOL  Dün might work. I've thought of Zappa but don't find his stuff out there enough. It's certainly original and proggy as hell. Will reconsider some of his stuff. It's been a while since i've spun One Size. UK is definately a contender. It took me a long time to get into that one. In fact i think that's a WEENER :P

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 12:32
One more, do you think Jan Dukes De Grey's Mice and Rats in the Loft could qualify? The delivery is very twisted, disturbing, and difficult to digest at the first few listens.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 12:45
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

One more, do you think Jan Dukes De Grey's Mice and Rats in the Loft could qualify? The delivery is very twisted, disturbing, and difficult to digest at the first few listens. 

I've still never heard that one actually. It's been on my list for years but never seem to get to it. I'll definately check it out. 

twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 13:43
Picchio dal Pozzo - s/t
Hatfield & the North - s/t
Osanna - Palepoli
anything by Art Bears
miRthkon - Vehicle
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 22:04
^yes! Mirthkon is way out there.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 22:25
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 23:08
Awesome list, though Tales seems a little out of place to me. I've never really found it to be that complex, just expansive. An album that demands patience more than attention, if you will. Aside from that, fantastic selections, and number one is right on the money. Clap

I second Anabelas and Palepoli, and might also throw some Birds and Buildings into the mix. Komara, too, maybe?
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 07:19
^ thanks for all the suggestions! there are many i didn't consider. first of all i'm in agreement on Yes TFTO but it still sort of qualifies with what i'm going for. That means that it is an album that requires lots of dedication to understand and not an easy nut to crack on the first listen

Palepoli? Not sure. Yes it's complex but it's also damn catchy even on first listen. One of my favorite albums as well :)  Bubu might work. Been a while since i've listened.

Blotted Science? Borderline. I'm still on the fence about Meshuggah and other tech metal however i just thought of Psyopus. That is some out there metal. 

Mirthkon great idea as well. I have a couple albums and can't remember a thing about them which is a good sign LOL

Will be checking these out! Keep em coming Pig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>