FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 108109110111112 434>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 11:22
and not a surprise at all .. she puts Georgia squarely on the 2020 battlefield map  for the Presidential campaign, and as you read here first....puts into direct threat of losing what was considered to be a safe GOP Senate seat and even down ballot.. perhaps the extra push to take the few non rural GOP house seats in Georgia that survived the 2018 blue wave

Edited by micky - November 18 2018 at 11:25
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 03:53
@micky:  Please remember that these two parties ebb and flow like rivers. Many said that the GOP was finished after Watergate with the appointment of Ford as president. Same with the Dems after LBJ enacted civil rights legislature.
And the South still thinks and hopes that it will rise again. Conservatism will never go out of style no matter how much we want it to. There's no if, ands, or buts about that.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 06:54
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

@micky:  Please remember that these two parties ebb and flow like rivers. Many said that the GOP was finished after Watergate with the appointment of Ford as president. Same with the Dems after LBJ enacted civil rights legislature.
And the South still thinks and hopes that it will rise again. Conservatism will never go out of style no matter how much we want it to. There's no if, ands, or buts about that.

I think micky's case - and it has been his case since before the 2016 upset result - is that the demographics are going to keep changing in a way that benefits Dems.  That MAY be so but will not happen in a permanent way except in the very long run.  And that depends on minorities continuing to come in, continuing to stay put in USA.  If we are going to extrapolate, we have to accept that neither of these are certainties either.  I read an analysis that Ohio is changing in a way that firms it up as a GOP state (rather than the battleground that it used to be).  Such is apparently the case in Florida too.  As Democrats start to at least make a play in erstwhile GOP bastions, some battlegrounds will turn red and some blue states will turn into battlegrounds. That's just how politics works.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 07:03
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I think micky's case - and it has been his case since before the 2016 upset result - is that the demographics are going to keep changing in a way that benefits Dems.  That MAY be so but will not happen in a permanent way except in the very long run.  And that depends on minorities continuing to come in, continuing to stay put in USA.  If we are going to extrapolate, we have to accept that neither of these are certainties either.  I read an analysis that Ohio is changing in a way that firms it up as a GOP state (rather than the battleground that it used to be).  Such is apparently the case in Florida too.  As Democrats start to at least make a play in erstwhile GOP bastions, some battlegrounds will turn red and some blue states will turn into battlegrounds. That's just how politics works.
Not  to sound too rambunctious, but the demographics have changed! The problem is that blacks and Latinos don't vote in mass numbers. Or nothing approaching the numbers that could be totaled if they did. I understand that voter suppression and gerrymandering does not help but large voter turnout is the answer to that problem.

Edited by SteveG - November 19 2018 at 13:08
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 07:13

Not sound too rambunctious, but the demographics have changed! The problem is that blacks and Latinos don't vote in mass numbers. Or nothing approaching the numbers that could be totaled if they did. I understand that voter suppression and gerrymandering does not help but large voter turnout is the answer to that problem.

I think you have misunderstood my point a little.  Of course, demographics are changing but the majority-minority moment micky projects is still far away.  It is expected to take until 2045 for non-Hispanic whites to form a minority in USA as a whole.  That's a very long way off.  Further, even if non-Hispanic whites are a substantial minority, like 45%, they can still swing an election in the GOP's favour for the very reason you just mentioned - turnout.  Mobilizing the majority community is the favourite tactic of majoritarian parties and it's not going to go away.  Hence, Democrats should stay as far away as they can from Robbie Mook's Rainbow Coalition plank and continue to splice the white vote which they have successfully in the Mid terms. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 07:38
^ Agree 100%! But a few more black and Latino votes couldn't hurt. Wink
aerosolgrey View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 08:46
Can you provide a specific example of teachers hiding behind their unions please. And what girth do you refer to? Public education has been under attack by the increasingly extremist GOP in America since the unfortunate election of Reagan. Hard to imagine public education being bloated by anything, certainly not funding. I received a very solid public education in the 60s and 70s, before the right-wing forces of ignorance and exclusion began their 38 year assault. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:02
^ Didn't Trump say that he loves the poorly educated? I guess this is the reason why.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 11:27
^ Yes.....and apparently that includes himself....even though he did attend college.

;)

Edited by dr wu23 - November 19 2018 at 11:28
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 12:20
Originally posted by aerosolgrey aerosolgrey wrote:

Can you provide a specific example of teachers hiding behind their unions please. And what girth do you refer to? Public education has been under attack by the increasingly extremist GOP in America since the unfortunate election of Reagan. Hard to imagine public education being bloated by anything, certainly not funding. I received a very solid public education in the 60s and 70s, before the right-wing forces of ignorance and exclusion began their 38 year assault. 

On a national level the Repubs do their anti public education spiel, but not so much on the local level.
Collierville is a wealthy repub suburb outside of Memphis and the local repub politicians praise and support the local public schools, even to the point of raising local taxes .
Also, in another surprising development, local repubs told the state repubs they do not want vouchers or any public school funds going to vouchers.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 18:06

aye!  and a double for both of you! BeerBeer

@Steve.  My point is and has always been...  yes.. my dire predictions are nothing IF.. and that is a big if.. those ebbs and flows continue.  My points have been ...  unless the Republican Party changes. It is doomed.  What I have tried to explain in great length over these pages is it has not, and has painted itself into such a corner with regards to white nativists and its focus on white indentity politics that is is simply to say. 

oh they just have to broaden their appeal. 

if it were only that easy.. they would have done it already.  The great lesson of Trump is no matter what the leaders of the party might think, in the end, it is the voters that call the shots. Trump smoked the 'traditional' Republicans because well. .that is where the Republican voter is now. In order to change, they have to tell those voters they do not want their support.  Do you really see that happening? I sure do not.

The times are different now, and surely you a man of many years and much wisdom and experience, to see the differences between Nixon and Trump.  Even Republicans took up the cause that Nixon needed to go. Where is that today?  The Repubican Party survived Nixon for distancing itself from him and recognizing what he did went beyond partisan politics. Again.. where is that today. The damage Nixon may have done the Republican Party back in the day is nothign.. nadda.. zero..  capatible to what Trump has done to the Republican party. Thus the poltical realignment we are seeing now.. 

which takes me to Madan... love ya buddy..

yes.. I have always stated that demographic change is a long term proposition. What is not however is the process of alienation of those very groups which is why some Republican forward thinkers have warned of this.. yet they have been ignored for obvious reasons.  It means losing the white nativist base of support that keeps them in power now but is shrinking by teh year and more imporantly is setting the plate for what is going to come and nothing is going to stop that. It will not even take the decades it will take for the minority to become the majority.. when you alienate a group so completely.

in 1960  almost 40% of blacks supported the GOP..  funnily enough. Richard Nixon

then came the Civil Rights Act

by 1964.. that level of support had fallen to 6%.. and it never really has improved from there.  A generation .. multiple generations of a entire segment of our voting population were completely turned off the Republican party by their anti minority stance.  Even now Democrats are winning latino votes by 40 or more points.  They need to have been more inclusive not tomorrow...  but yesterday.

that in itself is bad enough.. but in conjunction with losing women and educated suburbanites.. it may not take decades.. 

I need not remind you that Dubya openly wondered if he was going to be the last Republican President. With reason.. the electoral math is slanting heavily to the Democrats. .was even before the Republicans lost women to the historic degree they seem to have, add on to that suburbanites...  

I did note in my election preview.. only one purple state has gone Red in the last 20 years... Ohio. Florida is not going red.. it has been the truest sense of a 50-50 battlefield for several decades.  It might change for either side.. it may not. 

however all over that map in these last 20 years are states that were once Red that have completely flipped blue..  or have gone purple or even now going purple.  If the numbers we are seeing out of Texas are accurate. .and nothing says they are not.. that state is in play for the democrats not years from now.. but is in 2020.. and if they win that..  the Republicans have really no realistic path to winning the White House.

as I posted last night. All of this is known by those in power.. but who is going to step forward and tell the party they have to change..  they'd first be burned alive by Faux then called RINO's for daring step out of line.. then likely primaried out for as I noted earler..  who is the largest and most active and engaged element of the Republican Party today.. yep.. the same white nativists, bigots, racists, and fundies that spit on traditional corporate Repubicans and put 'one of their own' atop the ticket.  

Thus my skeptism that the Republican can change..and not become a regional rump party... as that article I posted the other night noted. This problem with a demographic death spiral..  (now accelerated by alienating women and educated suburbanites) is nothing new.. nothing that my sterling intellect has seen.. Republicans have seen this coming.. but the only people that can change the course of the party are those in charge.. and they have nothing to gain. and everything to lose by trying to change the course the party has taken which means in direct terms...  disavowing the fear hate and anger of the very white nativist voters that put them in office.

thus my conclusion.. the Republican Party is dying.. and there is no miracle drug, no silver bullet as that article notes,  on the market that is going to save it save tearing the party and burning it to the ground.

and what politican, and we are talking Republians here, the very definition of swamp creatures here, do you know is going to be the one to do that and risk that gravy job on capital hill...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 07:38
Ok, ok, I believe that the GOP are dying! But always remember that even the dead and the dying can still wreck havoc!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 17:19
oh they are more than capable of wrecking havoc as they exit stage left.. speaking of...

a graph says it all .. it finally took Trump to do what no policy issue ever could. shake off Democratic apathy as well as finally convince moderates and independents that the Democratic Party is far closer to where they live than what the Republican Party has become and 'Trump voter' is simply not enough to win in the face of that...

but as if that wasnt clear enough as to what Trump has done..  having an article to read along with it will help explain yet again why the Republican party really is up the creek and without a paddle. As I alluded to last night.. it isn't going to take the decades it will take for the minority to become the majority for the Republican Party to become nationally irrevalent.. losing women and surbanites will only expidite the death spiral and it looks like 2018 was the first obvious and tangible sign nationwide of what is indeed going to come...

Edited by micky - November 20 2018 at 17:20
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 02:39
Seeing Saudi Arabia openly swing the USA around over their heads by the balls is just SO damn weird, and in the last two years we've seen a lot. We've all seen it going on before, sure, but now just rolling over and brazenly taking it up the bum in plain sight? A little bit of decorum, please! Just a minimum. Just for showsies.

Edited by npjnpj - November 21 2018 at 02:44
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 15:09
^ it would be nice to finally have a .. ummm.. red line that finally spurs Congress to stop spreading its legs for the Toddler in Chief and put him in his place..  that is a funny place for it to finally happen.  But if it happens and Congress tells Trump 'America' stands for more than his business interest I for one will be a very happy person.

in other news...  I had a suspicion about him.   Today's news merely gives hope I was correct about him.

Keep an eye on Justice Roberts.. while I may not agree with him philosophically.. he has more sense of 'American values' than the whole of the Trump adminisration does collectively.   I have him pegged as a future swing from right to left justice.  I do get the sense the games and shenanigans of the right .. really truly do offend him as an American. 

as they do many of us...
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 16:31
It was a relief to have someone from the GOP side stand up to 45...We have to hope 45 doesn't end up as an LP.  
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2018 at 06:18
^ hahaha.. I like that let's hope not....and a very hearty welcome to the thread!

Here was a nice feelgood read this morning... 

a lot of chatter about as to what next for Beto down in Texas way.  Presidential run?  It doesn't seem like a smart move but then again I was dead wrong about Obama in 2008 thinking he was running too early (was only in hist first term in the Senate) and should have waited a few years.  Perhaps Beto is made of the same stuff Obama was.  However many are hoping he stays in Texas and uses his influence to help turn that state from solid red.

Read some really interesting stuff I didn't know about.  I figured Cruz was the weak link and most likely to go from that state in the Senate.  Seems Corryn who is up in 2020 is even less popular in Texas than Cruz. ie with the right candidate..  the Democrats might be able to flip that seat in 2020. Problem is Beto is really the only Democrat in Texas at this time with the name recognition and infrastructure to wage such a large and expensive battle.  I'll be curious to see what he does, pulls an Obama and thinks this is his moment, or looks long term and builds an future Presidential campaign resume as a Texas senator.  I tend to think he'll jump to the Prez campaign..  but the smart move might be to stay in Texas for a bit.  I think the Democratic primary campaign of 2020 will make the Republican 2016 primary campaign look tame in comparison.  Quite simply his chances will be so much better down the road a few years

Edited by micky - November 22 2018 at 06:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2018 at 07:32
Thank you, I made that one up myself the morning I woke up to hear he'd been elected.

And thank you for the welcome.

That was a good read.  I lived in CO back in the 1990's and was surprised to discover how conservative it was.  However, having elk in your yard was a big plus.

I feel as you do about Beto, and with all of the gains that have been made in TX, it would be lovely for it to make the switch and become more like it's island of Austin.  Yes, I also hope he will wait.  

It does worry me a bit that the Dems seem divisive within, but hopefully some of that will shake out for 2020.  I was very relieved after these midterms.  Made me feel like all was not lost.

Edited by Snicolette - November 22 2018 at 07:33
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2018 at 08:43
hahah.. yeah that was a surreal day wasn't it... 

np on the welcome. Always nice to get fresh and different perspectives on these interesting times.

Yeah Colorado is one of the several states that has flipped color, other than 1964 in which most states voted against Goldwater until 2008 it had IIRC voted Democratic once in like 50 years.  Like Virginia, and still others it has pretty much flipped over the last 20 years from solid red to solid blue.  IT is part of that huge demographic death spiral the Republicans are now staring right in the face...with the data from 2018 indisputable and Trump himself coming the ticket in 2020....yet with Trump winning in 2016 and not doing the country the favor of residing 6 feet under by 2020 (President Michael Pence.. urrrggg)..  the seeds long laid of their fatal affliction to minorities, women and surbanites will have those many more years to germinate before they can even attempt, and the jury is out whether they even can, to moderate and move left of where they are now.  That lady in that article spoke of all those young women motivated to run for office.. does anyone think the Republican Party has any appeal to them.  Just like all the immigrant youth I see .. they will be comiing of voting age soon.. and unlike their parents they will not be afraid to vote.. does anyone think the Republican Party has much appeal to them either.  10 years is what I give it before the Republicans become a permanent oppo party if they don't change.. and I just don't see how they can since they have put themselves into a corner with white identity politcs. It will have to be a literal tear down, burn it and rebuild from scratch to save it now.

speaking of Texas. Yeah that state has been on the radar of political junkies for years waiting for it change.  Demographic change forever changed California politics.. it has long been forcast the same will happen with Texas. It does seem the numbers out of Texas indicate that time is finally arriving.

It isn't just Austin....

hundreds of thousand of new residents are moving into Texas every year and choosing to live not in the sticks but in the fast growing suburbs and around the big 4 metro areas.  It will be curous to see how many seats they get in the next census.  I mean six of the 10 fastest growing counties in the NATION are in Texas. It was bound to change that states poltics..  I red somewhere that 1 in 10 Texans today.. didn't even live in the state when Cruz was first elected a mere 6 years ago

here are some hard numbers that explain why the Republicans are soonto get a fatal afflication to winning the White House...  and not getting Texas's 36 (+)  electoral votes. Note the same forces here are in play in Arizona, Georgia and North Carolina.. having already flipped Virginia, Colorado, New Mexico and the big daddy a few years previous to those. California from solid Red to solid Blue.   The electoral reaper is coming for the Repubican Party...

rather than type this out.. I'll just cut and paste.. the numbers are simply scary for that party.  Yet I do think their is a sort of disbelief in play here... no.. that has long been a Democratic wet dream.. it will never happen?

In Harris County, Republicans won the straight-ticket vote by 9 points in both 2010 and 2014. This year, Democrats outperformed Republicans in straight-ticket votes by 11 points.

Democrats won the straight-ticket vote in Dallas County by 1 point in 2002, by 7 points in 2006 and 2010, by 10 points in 2014 — and by 30 points this year. Straight-ticket voters in Travis County, home of liberal Austin, chose Democrats this year by a 45-point margin, as turnout among those voters nearly tripled from 2014.

“Urban Texas is home to a vast majority of the state’s population, so this is where future elections will be fought,” said Brandon Rottinghaus, a political scientist at the University of Houston. “Republicans are losing that war to date. If Republicans can’t keep Democratic numbers below 60 percent in urban Texas, winning elections is going to be much more difficult going forward.”

Almost half a million new voters cast their midterm ballots early in Texas this year, as did more than a million voters who do not typically show up in midterms, according to the Democratic data analytics firm TargetSmart. Election Day turnout figures, when they are officially released in coming months, are likely to increase those numbers by hundreds of thousands.

“Texas has not been a red state. It’s been a nonvoting state and when there’s large voter turnout, which overwhelms the gerrymandering efforts and voter suppression efforts of past cycles, it is very decidedly a purple state.”

Edited by micky - November 22 2018 at 08:45
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2018 at 09:03
I do think, that despite their glee at the Electoral College putting them in power this time, that perhaps they have also signed their own death warrant with their selection.  I agree, what on earth would that party have to offer any of the people who are up and coming, who have now been witness to what can actually go terribly wrong...again the popular vote keeps saying "nay."  10 years...a long time to wait, but worth waiting for, and perhaps the ugly underbelly that has been exposed will prove it's final demise.  

I agree that the nonvoters that finally came out are the turning of the tide.  I hope they keep as informed and as willing in 2020.  

I wish the process for the whole country were as simple as here in OR.  Mail in or drop at one of the boxes that are everywhere.  Maybe some states will enact those types of changes as well.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 108109110111112 434>