FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 145146147148149 434>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 08:03
My heroes and heroines are the young people I work with who display incredible integrity and bravery against grim circumstances.

In the realm of politics I admire the true conservatives who recognize that trump is a big government self serving fraud. That would include Jeff Flake, Bob Corker, William Weld and much of the Libertarian Party.

Edited by Easy Money - April 17 2019 at 08:06
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 08:15
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

What number is 2000,000 Easy Money?   Do you mean 200 hundred thousand or 2 million?  Just because your friends continually address you, "Wrong again my friend" Easy Money, doesn't mean you should repeat "Wrong again my friend" when other folks dispense common facts.  Do you understand what I'm saying Easy Money?  

Do you dispute these articles as false?  I could post a thousand more. Heck I could post the 2015 and 2018 IRS tax laws.  You're so cute Easy Money.Wink  You're like a puppy that pees on the rug.  

https://www.newsweek.com/ivanka-trump-child-tax-credit-double-2019-irs-1390146

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/15/16652644/congress-child-tax-credit-senators-rubio-gardner

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/15/senate-tax-plan-child-tax-credit-ivanka-trump-244924

https://www.kq2.com/content/news/Child-tax-credit-doubles--504189411.html

You're oversimplifying something that is much more complicated than this. Larger families are likely to pay more because of the loss of dependent exemptions. 

Edited by progaardvark - April 17 2019 at 08:15
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 08:31
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

My heroes and heroines are the young people I work with who display incredible integrity and bravery against grim circumstances.

In the realm of politics I admire the true conservatives who recognize that trump is a big government self serving fraud. That would include Jeff Flake, Bob Corker, William Weld and much of the Libertarian Party.

Cool.  Love the ones you work with!

Politics' and Trump?   I know Trump is abrupt and rough around the edges. That being said, I'm so tire of folks spouting off wild left wing conspiracy theories.  Crazy stuff like, "Trump is a Russian Agent!" obfuscates Trump's polices.  My taxes went down several thousand dollars.  I'm glad Trump did that. I won't have to pay the Obama-care penalty next year.  That will save my husband and myself another 1800 hundred dollars. America really does have an illegal immigrant problem.   I like what Trump has done in North Korea and I'm glad he hasn't started a war...yet. 

I don't like Trump vetoing the "attempt to end American support for Saudi Arabia coalition in Yemen."
I don't like Trump putting sanctions on Venezuela.   The people of Venezuela suffer enough without siege sanctions exacerbating the situation.  If Venezuela fails...let them fail without America making it worse.  Tulsi Gabbard opposes Trump on these issues. 

I wish Trump would push to close loopholes that Multinational Companies use to forgo paying taxes. 
I wish Trump would purpose an "Internet Bill of Rights"  I don't like Silicon Valley Monopolies censoring free speech.  I wish Trump would break up Giant monopolies like Amazon, Facebook, and Google.  
I wish Trump would withdraw American Troops from Syria, Afghanistan, and several other countries. 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 17 2019 at 09:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 09:16

Progaardvark said, "You're oversimplifying something that is much more complicated than this. Larger families are likely to pay more because of the loss of dependent exemptions." 
[/QUOTE] 

No, you're oversimplifying Mr. Aardvark. When examining the difference between a tax credit and an exemption, it is imperative to understand that they work on opposite sides of the same equation. How much income is considered taxable depends on how much money a person or household makes, less any deductions and exemptions. Once the amount owed, based on taxable income, is determined, tax credits can be applied to reduce the actual amount an individual or household must pay back. In other words, tax exemptions help calculate the total amount of tax owed, while tax credits help reduce the total payment made.  Understand? Maybe, I'm still oversimplifying.   Let's crunch numbers!

- In 2015 the "Married filing jointly" deduction was $12,600 and the personal exemption was $4,000
 ( that's $8,000 worth of "personal exemptions" for a married couple.)  
- Add $12,600 to $8,000= $20,600 
- In 2015, a married couple deducts a total of 20,600 dollars off their gross income.
-  Say the couple has 4 children.  The 2015 "standard deduction for "dependents" was $1,050.  
- $1,050 multiplied by 4 children = $4,200 worth of standard deduction for dependents"
- add $20,600 and $4,200=  $24,800 of total deductions/exemptions. 

-In 2018 the "Married filing jointly" deduction was raised to $24,000, while the personal exemption and"standard deduction for dependents" were eliminated. 
-2015 deductions/exemptions = $24,800
- 2018 deduction = $24,000 

- Suppose our couple's gross income equals $94,800 for both tax year 2015 and 2018.
-Now, subtract the (2015 and 2018) exemptions and deductions, I listed above, from gross incomes of $94,800.
- Tax year 2015....$94,800- $24,800= $70,000 taxable income
- Tax year 2018...$94,800- $24,000= $70,800 taxable income

- Next, compare 2015 tax table vs the 2018 tax table. 
- According to 2015's IRS tax table- "married filing jointly" tax burden on $70,000 was $9,581
- According to 2018's IRS tax table- "married filing jointly" tax burden on $70,800 was $8,112
- The lower tax rate for 2018 explains the $1,469 difference in tax owed.  But we're not finished.
- In 2018, Trump doubled the child tax credit to $2,000 per child.  Child tax credits are substracted from the tax owed.  Do you understand?

-In 2015, our couple would subtract "4 child tax credits" worth- $4,000 from $9581 taxes owed. $9,581 - $4,000= $5,581
- Final 2015 tax owed?  In 2015 our couple would pay $5,581 dollars in tax for 2015.  

In 2018 we would subtract "4 child tax credits" worth $8,000 from from  $8,112 taxes owed.  $8,112 - $8,000= $112
- Final  2018 tax owed? In 2018 our couple would owe $112.  
- That's $5,460 less then our couple's 2015 tax bill!
I've provided the 2015 and 2018 IRS tax tables below for your perusal. Wink 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040tt--2015.pdf

https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxmap/pub17/p17-184.htm#TXMP2e990fff

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 17 2019 at 10:48
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 09:26
Speaking only for my own taxes, there was no particular change, there was no tax cut for me.
Meanwhile, lets suppose, for the sake of argument, the so-called tax cuts didn't benefit only the wealthy.
How wise is it to be cutting taxes when the country is running a deficit? It may be a small cut for now, but with compounded interest over the years, that small cut will evaporate quickly.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 10:54

Progaardvark said, "You're oversimplifying something that is much more complicated than this. Larger families are likely to pay more because of the loss of dependent exemptions." 

No, you're oversimplifying Mr. Aardvark. When examining the difference between a tax credit and an exemption, it is imperative to understand that they work on opposite sides of the same equation. How much income is considered taxable depends on how much money a person or household makes, less any deductions and exemptions. Once the amount owed, based on taxable income, is determined, tax credits can be applied to reduce the actual amount an individual or household must pay back. In other words, tax exemptions help calculate the total amount of tax owed, while tax credits help reduce the total payment made.  Understand? Maybe, I'm still oversimplifying.   Let's crunch numbers!

- In 2015 the "Married filing jointly" deduction was $12,600 and the personal exemption was $4,000
 ( that's $8,000 worth of "personal exemptions" for a married couple.)  
- Add $12,600 to $8,000= $20,600 
- In 2015, a married couple deducts a total of 20,600 dollars off their gross income.
-  Say the couple has 4 children.  The 2015 "standard deduction for "dependents" was $1,050.  
- $1,050 multiplied by 4 children = $4,200 worth of standard deduction for dependents"
- add $20,600 and $4,200=  $24,800 of total deductions/exemptions. 

In 2018 the "Married filing jointly" deduction was raised to $24,000, while the personal exemption and"standard deduction for dependents" were eliminated.  
-  In 2015, our hypothetical couple would deduct 800 more dollars off the top of the income vs their 2018 tax year.  

After the exemptions and deductions I listed above, our hypothetical couple's taxable 2015 income is $70,000 compare to a 2018 taxable income of $70,800. (Noticed I added 800 dollars for tax year 2018.) 

Next, compare 2015 tax table vs the 2018 tax table. 
- According to 2015's IRS tax table- "married filing jointly" tax burden on $70,000 was $9,581
- According to 2018's IRS tax table- "married filing jointly" tax burden on $70,800 was $8,112
- The lower tax rate for 2018 explains the $1,469 difference in tax owed.  But we're not finished.
- In 2018, Trump doubled the child tax credit to $2,000 per child.  Child tax credits are substracted from the tax owed.  Do you understand?

-In 2015, our couple would subtract "4 child tax credits" worth- $4,000 from $9581 taxes owed. 
- Final 2015 tax owed total?  In 2015 our couple would pay $5,581 dollars in tax for 2015.  

In 2018 we would subtract "4 child tax credits" worth $8,000 from from  $8,112 taxes owed. 
- Final  2018 tax owed total? In 2018 our couple would owe $112.  
- That's $5,460 less then our couple's 2015 tax bill!
I've provided the 2015 and 2018 IRS tax tables below for your perusal. Wink 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040tt--2015.pdf

But you have a couple with four children. The amount from exemptions in 2015 is $24,000, not $8,000. I also noticed that you forgot to subtract the $20,600 (which should really be $36,600) from the $70,000, so their tax amount from the 2015 tax table is much lower than $9581. I think you'll find the numbers are very different from what you calculated for 2015. I would guess it should really be $91 for 2015.

Edited by progaardvark - April 17 2019 at 10:54
----------
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 12:16
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

<font style=": rgb255, 255, 255;">

<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">No, you're oversimplifying Mr. Aardvark. When examining the difference between a tax credit and an exemption, it is imperative to understand that they work on opposite sides of the same equation. How much income is considered taxable depends on how much money a person or household makes, less any deductions and exemptions. Once the amount owed, based on taxable income, is determined, tax credits can be applied to reduce the actual amount an individual or household must pay back. In other words, tax exemptions help calculate the total amount of tax owed, while tax credits help reduce the total payment made.  Understand? Maybe, I'm still oversimplifying.   Let's crunch numbers!</span>
<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">
</span>
<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">-<font face="Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="2"> </span><span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">In 2015 the "Married filing jointly" deduction was $12,600 and the personal exemption was $4,000</span>
<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;"> ( that's $8,000 worth of "personal exemptions" for a married couple.)  </span><span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">
</span>
<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">- Add $12,600 to $8,000= $20,600 </span>
<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">- In 2015, a married couple deducts a total of 20,600 dollars off their gross income.</span>
<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">-  Say the couple has 4 children.  The 2015 "standard deduction for "dependents" was $1,050.  </span>
<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">- $1,050 multiplied by 4 children = $4,200 worth of <span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">standard deduction for dependents"</span></span>
<font face=""Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif">- a<span style="text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">dd $20,600 and $4,200=  $24,800 of total deductions/exemptions. </span>
<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">
</span>
<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">In 2018 the "Married filing jointly" deduction was raised to $24,000, while the personal exemption and<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">"standard deduction for dependents" were eliminated.  </span></span>
<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">-  In 2015, our hypothetical couple would deduct 800 more dollars off the top of the income vs their 2018 tax year.  </span>
</span>
<font face=""Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif">A<span style="text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">fter the exemptions and deductions I listed above, our hypothetical couple's taxable 2015 income is $70,000 compare to a 2018 taxable income of $70,800. (Noticed I added 800 dollars for tax year 2018.) </span>
<font face=""Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif"><span style="text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">
</span>
<font face=""Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif"><span style="text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;"> Next, compare 2015 tax table vs the 2018 tax table. </span>
<font face=""Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif"><span style="text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; white-space: normal; orphans: 2; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">- </span><span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">According to 2015's IRS tax table- "married filing jointly" tax burden on $70,000 was $9,581. </span><span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">
</span>
<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">- According to 2018's <span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">IRS tax table- "married filing jointly" tax burden on $70,800 was $8,112. </span></span>
<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;"><span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">- The lower tax rate for 2018 explains the $1,469 difference in tax owed.  But we're not finished.</span></span><span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;"><span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">
</span></span>
<font face=""Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif" size="3">- In 2018, Trump doubled the child tax credit to $2,000 per child.  Child tax credits are substracted from the tax owed.  Do you understand?
<font face=""Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif" size="3">
<font face=""Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif" size="3">-In 2015, our couple would subtract <span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 22.4px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">"4 child tax credits" worth-</span> $4,000 from $9581 taxes owed. 
<font face=""Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif" size="3">- Final 2015 tax owed total?  In 2015 our couple would pay $5,581 dollars in tax for 2015.  
<font face=""Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif" size="3"> In 2018 we would subtract "<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 22.4px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">4 child tax credits" worth</span> $8,000<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 22.4px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;"> from</span> from  $8,112 taxes owed. 
<font face=""Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif" size="3">- Final  2018 tax owed total? In 2018 our couple would owe $112.  <font face=""Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif" size="3">
<font face=""Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif" size="3">- That's $5,460 less then our couple's 2015 tax bill!
<font face=""Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif" size="3">- <font face=""Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif" size="3"> I've provided the 2015 and 2018 IRS tax tables below for your perusal. Wink 
<span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : transparent; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: "Droid Sans",Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040tt--2015.pdf</span>

But you have a couple with four children. The amount from exemptions in 2015 is $24,000, not $8,000. I also noticed that you forgot to subtract the $20,600 (which should really be $36,600) from the $70,000, so their tax amount from the 2015 tax table is much lower than $9581. I think you'll find the numbers are very different from what you calculated for 2015. I would guess it should really be $91 for 2015.

Would you lot appreciate the help of a tax inspector, albeit a UK one?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 12:38
Oh Dude Aaradvark, you are right!  The Total deduction for a 2015 family with 4 children would be 36,600. 
 My bad! However, -I derived the $70,000 figure by-  subtracting 24,800 from gross $94,800.  

-Using your deduction,  subtract $36,600 from the couple's gross income of $94,800.
-$94,800 - $36,600= $58,200 taxable income.  
-In 2015, the tax owed on $58,200 is $7,811.  
-Multiply $1000 "children tax credit" times 4 children.  $1000x4=  $4,000
- Subtract $4,000 from $7,811= $3811 total taxes owed for 2015 tax year.  

Thanks for spotting my mistake Progaardvark! Let me know if I made another.  

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 17 2019 at 12:40
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 16:50

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Too bad Windmills kill large raptors like eagles, soaring on windy air thermals...WACK chopped in half.  Gives a whole 'nother meaning to ill-eagles.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160929143808.htm

I just noticed this. How incredibly out of context of you. All the wind turbines in the world running for a thousand years could not kill off as many birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish and other creatures than coal, oil and pesticides have in less than a hundred years.

Normally I wouldn't take you seriously Dark Elf.  This thread is littered with your Russian Collusion Conspiracy Theories.  "Russia, Russia, Russia. The sky if falling!!" Shocked

You crack me up Dark Elf. You remind me of conspiracy theorist- Alex Jones.    Except you and Alex disagreed on Russian Collusion.    That being said, just like Alex Jones- The Dark Elf is right sometimes.   Your correct,Clap the last hundred years of pollution has killed more animals than wind turbines.    Displacing animal habitats with urban sprawl kills more animals than wind turbines.   Wars kill more animals than wind turbines.  Animal Shelters kill more animals than...

You're the comedian, understudy for the Clown-in-Chief. Evidently because a lackey of Trump ignored findings and was hired specifically because he's already stated in writing that a President cannot be charged criminally for anything -- then there is no Russian collusion. Whatever. Evidently, the cadre of lawyers Trump has hired (because Trump didn't commit any crimes), is busy fabricating a 40 page rebuttal to the findings of the Mueller Report (because Trump didn't commit any crimes), and will hand the 40 page report to the state-run media at Fox Network to be read instead of the color-coded, heavily redacted crap Barr is vomiting up (because Trump didn't commit any crimes). Meanwhile, several of Trump's co-conspirators have already pleaded guilty to lying regarding their Russian involvement, and Barr could not bring himself to say Trump did not commit obstruction regarding Russian involvement in his campaign.

Additionally, Trump still cannot bring himself to admit the Russians did indeed conspire to elect him. He still has not requisitioned the needed resources to assure it doesn't happen again. Because Trump is a narcissistic fraud.

Regarding wind turbines, if we switched to solar and wind, and eliminated our reliance on fossil fuel, then the chances of bird species, mammals, fish, and humans going extinct will be greatly reduced.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2019 at 17:01

How These Fortune 500 Companies (Legally) Paid $0 In Taxes Last Year... 

http://fortune.com/2019/04/11/amazon-starbucks-corporate-tax-avoidance/

While Ompaloompa is trumpeting its measly tax return, the rich get richer, corporations are buying back stock to enrich their wealthiest investors while not increasing workers' salaries, the Republicans have made healthcare worse, are not fixing the crumbling infrastructure, and will be seeking cuts in social security and medicare/medicaid to pay for their swindle. Some folks is just plain vacuous.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 10:07

While Ompaloompa is trumpeting its measly tax return, the rich get richer, corporations are buying back stock to enrich their wealthiest investors while not increasing workers' salaries, the Republicans have made healthcare worse, are not fixing the crumbling infrastructure, and will be seeking cuts in social security and medicare/medicaid to pay for their swindle. Some folks is just plain vacuous.

I agree with one of your points Mr. Elf.  Corporations should pay their fair share of taxes. I've written my senators, representative, and President Trump to complain about it.  However, the majority of senators and representatives accept millions from the corporations that pay zero taxes.  

Healthcare?  I support Rand Paul's plan to fix healthcare.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 12:54
 The Mueller Report.  

https://www.justice.gov/storage/report.pdf

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 21 2019 at 10:55
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 13:50
This is an open question for anyone who understands the whole Russian collusion investigation.
My understanding is that people in the Trump campaign/entourage did indeed respond to invitations by various Russians to meet regarding information that had on Clinton and other related matters. I thought several people close to Trump admitted meeting or at least responded to these meetings. I have no idea what they talked about and whether or not that is collusion but isn't that a bit dodgy to begin with? Also weren't people in the Trump sphere responsible for being involved with Wiki leaks info on Clinton? Again I have no idea what that means legally but it certainly sounds like they were after dirt on he. So is none of that collusion? Does this all come down to legal definitions?
And it seems bloody obvious he tried to squash the investigation by asking for changes in people involved to try and stop it...how is that not intent to obstruct? I'm not lawyer so maybe the brains here can explain all of this? 
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 14:35
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

This is an open question for anyone who understands the whole Russian collusion investigation.
My understanding is that people in the Trump campaign/entourage did indeed respond to invitations by various Russians to meet regarding information that had on Clinton and other related matters. I thought several people close to Trump admitted meeting or at least responded to these meetings. I have no idea what they talked about and whether or not that is collusion but isn't that a bit dodgy to begin with? Also weren't people in the Trump sphere responsible for being involved with Wiki leaks info on Clinton? Again I have no idea what that means legally but it certainly sounds like they were after dirt on he. So is none of that collusion? Does this all come down to legal definitions?
And it seems bloody obvious he tried to squash the investigation by asking for changes in people involved to try and stop it...how is that not intent to obstruct? I'm not lawyer so maybe the brains here can explain all of this? 

I think your alluding to the June 9th 2016 meeting with the female Russian lawyer "Natalia Veselnitskaya", in Trump Tower with: Don Jr., Manafort, and Jared Kushner.  Thinking Veseintskaya might have info on Hillary, the Trump trio took the meeting, however the only thing Veseintskaya talked about was Russian adoption issues.   Was it a bit dodgy?  Considering that Veseintskaya met immediately before and after the Trump Tower meeting with "Fusion GPS,  I'd consider it a bit odd.  Fusion GPS was paid several million dollars by Hillary's lawyers to assemble the infamous Trump Dossier.  Why did Veseintskaya promise info on Hillary but only deliver superfluous adoption info, and meet with Fusion GPS before and after the Trump Tower meeting?  The same day!

Wikileaks and Trump?   So far, no evidence has been produced that Trump and Wikileaks coordinated together to release emails.  Remember Wikileaks also dropped data on Bushes' Iraq invasion and Weapons of Mass Destructions. In the past, Wikileaks has dropped data on many country's corruption including Russia.   One might ascertain that Wikileaks operates without political bias and exposes governmental corruption wherever Wikileaks finds it.  Unlike other media outlets and journalists, Wikileaks has a flawless 100% record of reporting accurate information. Wikileaks has never released false info.  Most the governments in the world hate Wikileaks because of their habit of exposing corruption. 

If Mueller's 2 year investigation is correct, than Trump is innocent of Russian Collusion.  Think about it.  Since Trump knew he was innocent, he only wished to protect himself from the biggest smear campaign America has ever endured.   The president isn't above the law but he's not below the law either.  Multiple FBI officials attempted to sabotage Trump.  The media relentlessly attacked Trump. The third highest ranking DOJ official's wife worked for Fusion GPS the company that created the Trump Dossier.  The fact that Trump fired Comey did nothing to stop any Russian Collusion investigation momentum.  No, firing Comey supercharged the investigation.  Privately, Comey told Trump that he wasn't under investigation.  Trump asked Comey to tell the public.  Comey refused and insinuated to the media that Trump was colluding with Russia.  Clapper and Brennan (Hillary's NSA and CIA chiefs) also said they thought Trump colluded with Russia.  However, under oath, Clapper, Comey, and Brennan admitted there was ZERO evidence of Russian collusion.   

All intelligent agencies work under the executive branch. The president can fire the head of the CIA, FBI, NSA, and the DOJ anytime he wants to.  Bush, Obama, and Clinton exorcised their Presidential prerogative to fire Chiefs too.    It's the president's executive right.   Wrap your head around this?   Under oath,  FBI 2nd ranking official Andrew McCabe testified  acting DOJ chief Rod Rosenstein twice offered to wear a wire to spy on President Trump.  The same Rosenstein sent a memo to Trump recommending firing James Comey.  The next day Trump fires Comey.  Then the next day Rod Rosenstein appoints Mueller as a Special Council because Trump followed Rosenstein's recommendation to fire Comey.  What's up with that?  

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 18 2019 at 15:33
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 14:51
I understand there were more Russians reaching out to Trump than just that one person....I recall several who claimed they met with various people in the Trump entourage? Is that in the Mueller report?
There are reports from various places online that claim anywhere from 9-14 people in the Trump campaign and inner cicle met with Russians....what did they all talk about then?
And what about his ties with Russian business and corrupt oligarchs? This is well documented also. As a matter of fact many people in Washington have those ties....maybe they all should be investigated as well as Trump.?

Edited by dr wu23 - April 18 2019 at 15:02
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 15:31
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I understand there were more Russians reaching out to Trump than just that one person....I recall several who claimed they met with various people in the Trump entourage? Is that in the Mueller report?
There are reports from various places online that claim anywhere from 9-14 people in the Trump campaign and inner cicle met with Russians....what did they all talk about then?
And what about his ties with Russian business and corrupt oligarchs? This is well documented also. As a matter of fact many people in Washington have those ties....maybe they all should be investigated as well as Trump.?

Some of the Russians were FBI informants.  Others were Hillary donors. And the rest were standard meetings that a president's people always meet with. Obama, Clinton, and Bush all did it too.   The Mueller Report fails to mention the Russian sources responsible for the Steel Dossier.  The won't say if those Russians were connected with Putin because that would implicate Obama and Hillary.  Remember, any Russian interference occurred on Obama's watch.  

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 21 2019 at 10:54
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 19:27
For those interested regarding Julian Assange of wikileaks and Hillary, apparently those two have a long history of serious antagonism towards each other and he saw a chance to get even and went for it. I don't think he had any particular allegiance to trump, he just has a long running feud with hillary.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 23:08

I agree with one of your points Mr. Elf.  Corporations should pay their fair share of taxes. I've written my senators, representative, and President Trump to complain about it.  However, the majority of senators and representatives accept millions from the corporations that pay zero taxes.  

You do realize the whole tax cut charade was not so that you can get all emotional over the pittance you got back as a refund (which is set to expire in 2025, while the rich keep theirs). It's so the most wealthy people and corporations pay little to nothing. The corporations you are writing to your congressman about are in fact who the tax cuts were meant for, as well as the CEOs. Complain to Trump about corporations not being taxed? LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL His corporation is one of them. You voted this jackass in and are now complaining about the very thing he intended on doing. 

And now corporations are virtual citizens. Thank the Republican Supreme Court for the Citizens United decision, which allows millions to be funneled to campaigns as legal bribes just so stupid and avaricious tax cuts can be handed to billionaires. Like Trump. Who's handed the EPA over to fossil fuel lobbyists and the Dept. Of Education over to a billionaire heiress with the mental capacity of a box of hair.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2019 at 06:08

Unlike other media outlets and journalists, Wikileaks has a flawless 100% record of reporting accurate information. Wikileaks has never released false info.   

WackoWackoWackoWackoWackoWackoWacko
----------
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2019 at 06:17

Think about it.  Since Trump knew he was innocent, he only wished to protect himself from the biggest smear campaign America has ever endured. 

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
----------
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 145146147148149 434>