Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 434>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 13:02
My preference for DNC chair is, no surprise, Keith Ellison. Everyone has long assumed he has it because of the # of endorsements he's racked up, including big mainstream names like Schumer and Reid. Some unions have backed him and a letter from hundreds of Jewish leaders didn't endorse him, but said he is not anti semitic and that line of attack is ridiculous and should stop (I always feared his past comments would haunt him).
I think it would be great because that's a true blue progressive, and I'd like to see one in a major position, even if its more image than anything (though I'd say he would have some input on the fight over where the party goes)

That said it's no guarantee, I have never assumed he has it. BUT I would be happy with Tom Perez who has his own impressive "pro person" credentials and was a good Sect of Labor. I like he's an Obama person more than a Clintonite, but he may also be a more unifying force than Ellison. I prefer Ellison but I'd have no issue whatsoever with Perez, who I think would also fight for a more pro labor, purple/red/rural area policies instead of relying solely on minorities and urbanites/northeast & west coast. At least for now...that's not a winning strategy.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 13:20
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I definitely feel the support of a movement in the making. But how to unite the people with the DNC when the DNC is so weak right now? How to channel this energy and not waste it, is very worrying to me. Perhaps it will come together organically. (While the Beatles' "Come Together" plays in my head! LOL)

Well, a void can be a pretty great opportunity. It does remind me of 2008 for the GOP. Tough to be in a much lower spot, lost the WH, completely smacked in Congress (way more than the Dems which frustrates me they still held up so much and we can't do anythingLOL) and they had no leader, no aim.
Up steps the tea party.

Micky is part right, the establishment wasn't very happy with em but they also didn't totally stop it. I believe the RNC took a "hands off" approach and let local races be decided by well, the people, and they didn't really intervene. Which means: Tea Party.
So he's right the Dems will face a similar choice of getting in the way to preserve their position, or letting it happen. Not like they will be vanquished or anything, the mainstream GOP has adapted to the tea party and the Tea Party's true origin, Ron Paul, got lost as the movement itself adapted to the GOP. The system does work, still, sort of kinda ha

And obviously the people still choose, least I hope!, the people of PA chose McGinty over Fetterman (a Sanders type) in the Senate Primary (she of course lost to Pat Toomey) and Tim Canova failed to unseat DWS. Zephyer Teachout won the Dem primary but lost in the election. So it'll be up to the people finally and how this all plays out.
Kamala Harris did win the senate seat in CA so one small victoryLOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2017 at 04:10
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

My preference for DNC chair is, no surprise, Keith Ellison. Everyone has long assumed he has it because of the # of endorsements he's racked up, including big mainstream names like Schumer and Reid. Some unions have backed him and a letter from hundreds of Jewish leaders didn't endorse him, but said he is not anti semitic and that line of attack is ridiculous and should stop (I always feared his past comments would haunt him).
I think it would be great because that's a true blue progressive, and I'd like to see one in a major position, even if its more image than anything (though I'd say he would have some input on the fight over where the party goes)

Hmm. I agree that Ellison is fully qualified but his being Muslim may be a stumbling block to some that are not as enlightened as you and I, as that presents some extra baggage. We'll have to see how goes.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2017 at 13:51
Once again White house press secretary Sean Spicer gets the SNL treatment! LOL While Alec Baldwin doubles down on Trump in the People's court!

Edited by SteveG - February 13 2017 at 13:58
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 01:15
WOW. 
Flynn resigns. 

This is over the conversation he had with Russia in December, (which did happen), seems he gave "incomplete information" about its nature ie lifting the sanctions, to the WH. Not only is this possibly actual treason, but this means the National Security Adviser to the President....lied to the WH, about a meeting he had with a foreign diplomat over major policy. 

Yeah nothing wrong thereLOLWacko
I also find it odd Flynn would do this on his own, and not tell the truth to his own VP and others. Sorry, I can't believe he wasn't acting on Trump's behest and thus taking the sword, Oli North style. OR Trump really had no idea and Flynn went rogue. 

Yup no other to put this scenario, some real shady stuff
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 01:28
And the nightmare continues!

Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas has dropped all pretense about this debate, and taken it to the next level:
Ugh...

And sickeningly he's using the "protect our workers" cover but he supports extremely anti labor policies that would hurt our workers.
Not sure if this is honest, cognitive dissonance or something, or simply the new GOP strategy to win over blue collar/working class voters: Appeal to protecting their jobs and wages through keeping people away, and hyping up social conservatism/law and order. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 04:54
Bye-bye to that Michael Flynn guy,
Held discussions with the Russians, 
And had Mike Pence tell a lie. 
Then Ol' Donald Trump left him high and dry,
Singin' “this'll be the day you resign!”
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 06:39
the stupidity of the Trump administration is apparently seeping through even to non-political US-organizations. it is an absolute ignominy for the USTA to have the banned first verse of the Deutschlandlied, "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles" ("Germany, Germany above all") sung before the matches started.

only the third verse of the Deutschlandlied is used for the national anthem of Germany. here a translation of this third verse:

"Unity and justice and freedom
For the German fatherland!
Towards these let us all strive
Brotherly with heart and hand!
Unity and justice and liberty
Are the foundation of happiness;
Flourish in the radiance of this happiness,
Flourish, German fatherland".

this should be well known, even to the USTA. so was this really stupidity or cunning strategy? no matter, either way it is an ignominy.

when Hoffmann von Fallersleben wrote the lyrics they had a completely different meaning. Germany did not exist back then; it was split into many small principalities. so the lyrics originally were for the unification of these principalities, which was more important than anything else in the world to von Fallersleben. that was what "Deutschland über alles" originally was about.

the Nazis did of course reinterpret these lines as meaning Germany was superior to all other nations. the music was originally written by Joseph Haydn for the birthday of emperor Francis II. the lyrics were "Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser" ("God save emperor Francis"). (on a side note: since "erhalten" may mean "save" or "preserve" in German but also "receive" these lyrics have an ironic double meaning).

for a short time after WW2 the Germans used Beethoven's "Ode an die Freude" ("Ode to Joy") as national anthem. on March 7th 1990, seven months before the reunification, the German constitutional court declared that only the 3rd verse would constitute the text of the German national anthem of a reunified Germany. the first verse of the Deutschlandlied has NEVER been officially used after WW2 (until now by the USTA).

I used to be an American citizen for the first 30 years of my life. in 1993, at age 24, I moved to Germany for professional reasons and became a German citizen in 2000 because I wanted to be able to vote here. since German law allows double citizenship only in specific cases, none of which applied to me, I had to give up my American citizenship then.

anyone who is familiar with modern Germany, as I certainly am after having lived here for 24 years, knows that the singing of the 1st verse of the Deutschlandlied was extremely offensive. someone compared singing "God save the Queen" instead of the national US-anthem to this incident on YouTube, but it does not even come close. to the German team it must have felt like a slap in the face

Edited by BaldJean - February 14 2017 at 06:42

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 07:54
I live right on the Canadian/US border. I mean right on the bordeer. Right next to the Peace Bridge on the Niagara River r. I can see Buffalo from my living room window. I come across Americans often and for the most part they don't give a tinker's cuss about politics juust as we Canadians couldn't care less. The world is in such a mess that I am just here for the ride for the next 50years or so. But you have to admit you can't beat this dog and pony show for it's entertainment value. I like listening to Lewis Black's commentary but he has a hard time because Trump does his job for him just like Ceorge W. Bush did.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 14:46

WOW. 
Flynn resigns. 

This is over the conversation he had with Russia in December, (which did happen), seems he gave "incomplete information" about its nature ie lifting the sanctions, to the WH. Not only is this possibly actual treason, but this means the National Security Adviser to the President....lied to the WH, about a meeting he had with a foreign diplomat over major policy. 

I also find it odd Flynn would do this on his own, and not tell the truth to his own VP and others. Sorry, I can't believe he wasn't acting on Trump's behest and thus taking the sword, Oli North style. OR Trump really had no idea and Flynn went rogue. 

Yay!

Seriously, Flynn was a complete moron, with his treason just the icing on the turd. Good to get rid of a guy who turned the sitting president against the intelligence community long before election day. A guy who couldn't give up on his disastrous biases, to the point the DIA gave him the boot. A guy who reads Mike Cernovich. Dead

And the zenith/nadir of his stupidity was using the closely monitored diplomatic cables to try and sell our nation and our allies out to Putin. You just can't make up how foolish the Trump Administration as a whole are with secrecy either necessary or criminal. Now we see Trump willing to blab about national security in front of everybody at Mar-a-Lago. Speaks even more about how completely unqualified these people are.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 00:06
Originally posted by LearsFool LearsFool wrote:

WOW. 
Flynn resigns. 

Yay!

Seriously, Flynn was a complete moron, with his treason just the icing on the turd. Good to get rid of a guy who turned the sitting president against the intelligence community long before election day. A guy who couldn't give up on his disastrous biases, to the point the DIA gave him the boot. A guy who reads Mike Cernovich. Dead

And the zenith/nadir of his stupidity was using the closely monitored diplomatic cables to try and sell our nation and our allies out to Putin. You just can't make up how foolish the Trump Administration as a whole are with secrecy either necessary or criminal. Now we see Trump willing to blab about national security in front of everybody at Mar-a-Lago. Speaks even more about how completely unqualified these people are.

Oh absolutely. All this being in bed with Russia thing aside, he was an utter loon, unqualified and incredibly dangerous. I am absolutely glad he's gone and his reputation shattered. I was honestly scared at the thought of him being in Trump's ear. 

Trump has been shockingly subdued about all this...given he will go nuclear over a play, SNL, Mark Cuban, the size and weather of his inauguration crowd, will personally respond to twitter comments, he's been pretty darn quiet on the fact his National Security Adviser has resigned over possibly treasonous actions. He will foam at the mouth about negative media coverage, but isn't jumping to defend Flynn against a tsunami of bad news coverage? 
His response to all this says all we need to know. 

Anyway, it gets better!
Jason Chaffetz says he won't investigate the matter because "It's taken care of itself". This guy was prepared to fight Clinton for 4 years with investigations. Rand Paul sells out again, says it makes "no sense" for Republicans to investigate a Republican. Others seem to have no care either. 
Aren't these the people that made Clinton go through 8 hearings over Benghazi and force her through the gauntlet over emails? Right, yeah guess possible treasonous actions from a major figure in the government is no biggie. 

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 00:21
Anyway, the pieces keep adding up:
"Trump campaign aides had repeated contacts with Russian intelligence"

Putin sets up missiles, in violation of a treaty, while also buzzing a US ship with Russian jets and a Russian spy ship is sighted off the US coast, not doing anything illegal or at all, just sending a nice messageSmile http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/14/russian-spy-ship-off-east-coast-us-officials-say.html

People have waved off all this stuff as wanting to re start the Cold War. Hell no, I don't want that! It's Putin who's started thisLOL
But really, this is getting kind of scary. 
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 00:26
Amongst all the discussions with their various topics concerning Trump, there is one issue which I find central but that’s being almost set aside as an almost amusing byline, and that’s the business about the alleged size of the inauguration crowd and what it entails. The implications of this are enormous and I find his claims highly alarming.

When Trump claims this in the face of undeniable proof to the contrary in the form of photographs set directly side by side (and he’s evidently not lying, because if he were, he would know that it makes him look a fool), he is clearly delusional. I mean medically and certifiably delusional. It’s there for all to see.

This, more than anything else, shows that he has a disturbed grip on reality, and, combined with a highly volatile and thin-skinned personality, is a recipe for disaster.

After all, the man has the nuclear codes!

Why isn’t this getting the attention it deserves? Sure, there are also many other things he’s doing worth everyone’s attention, but this is the one instance where it’s clearly there for all to see. All his other actions can be clearly derived from this.

He clearly needs urgent medical attention, so why is nothing happening?

Edited by npjnpj - February 15 2017 at 00:27
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 00:30
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

I live right on the Canadian/US border. I mean right on the bordeer. Right next to the Peace Bridge on the Niagara River r. I can see Buffalo from my living room window. I come across Americans often and for the most part they don't give a tinker's cuss about politics juust as we Canadians couldn't care less. The world is in such a mess that I am just here for the ride for the next 50years or so. But you have to admit you can't beat this dog and pony show for it's entertainment value. I like listening to Lewis Black's commentary but he has a hard time because Trump does his job for him just like Ceorge W. Bush did.

Nah. I never found of it entertaining, and quite a few have said to me "Eh might as well laugh while the world burns, what else can ya do?" Guess I'm just a party pooper. 
That can't be denied, far too many don't give a trickle of piss about politics, though a few at my job have gone from that to fairly read up on events and active in discussion. One even saying "that changed now" (about his being totally apathetic)
Ya know, politics matter. We only feel it doesn't because we dont partake, in whatever way we can. YUUGE impact could be had if ya know, more people voted, stayed active, ran for office. Informed themselves most importantly. 

But yeah, little humor had here. I love history, quite a list of parallels are being drawn between now and the 1930s so nah, not sure chilling for the ride for 50 years is a great idea but that's just me. Though with Flynn gone, the chances of a clash of civilizations mega battle have diminished somewhat so good news there at least. Doh! Bannon will likely just fill the void. 

twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 02:33
I do wanna pop in and disagree with what you and Micky(I think) said about paying more attention to politics. The wave of populism going around worldwide has been largely fueled by people working eachother up to be more critical of politics, telling eachother change is necessary when times really aren't very bad at all in real life(yes, some inequality, some immigrants, but still not nearly as bad as many other points in semi-recent history) and going in uninformed, suddenly expecting the government to the settle the issues they've come up with with force and speed, even when they'll obviously(for anyone caring about economics and stuff) their solutions are very weak on the long term. The 'failing' of democracy lies mostly in people expecting politics to solve their problems, even when there's simply no way anything can turn an immigration crisis or low consumer confidence into a good time, I wish people would see that and accept that even their best choice will only make the times slightly less bad(if you conceive them as bad in the first place). I hope people will forget about politics a bit in the coming four years so they can see what a solid system they actually have set up for themselves, one that you're really not supposed to tear down, one you're supposed to cooperate with to improve both sides, and one you're supposed to trust to some extent, even when you don't understand it.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 02:51
Our fearless leader met with Trump yesterday and the Canadian media were going ga ga ga. Trump was humouring the kid with  some feminists sitting around a table. I flicked around the channels and the American media didn't mention this event once. They were more focussed on that lunatic in North Korea firing off a test missile and Flynn's resignation. What is so funny is that we know more about American politics than we know about Canadian politics. I couldn't even tell you who the opposition leader is except that Kevin O'Leary wants to get a piece of that pie. It seems business as usual though as I watch the traffic on the Peace Bridge from my front window. You don't have watch SNL to get laughs you just have to watch the news. I find the actual news funnier than the parodies. Quite honestly I don't even find the parodies funny at all. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 03:01
^ We saw the coverage, but it the Michael Flynn debacle was top of the news.   I'd think Trudeau poised to soon be a big star and a counterweight to Trump's Jabba-like presence.

Jabba the Hutt in Return of the Jedi (1983).png

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 04:51
Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

I do wanna pop in and disagree with what you and Micky(I think) said about paying more attention to politics. The wave of populism going around worldwide has been largely fueled by people working eachother up to be more critical of politics, telling eachother change is necessary when times really aren't very bad at all in real life(yes, some inequality, some immigrants, but still not nearly as bad as many other points in semi-recent history) and going in uninformed, suddenly expecting the government to the settle the issues they've come up with with force and speed, even when they'll obviously(for anyone caring about economics and stuff) their solutions are very weak on the long term. The 'failing' of democracy lies mostly in people expecting politics to solve their problems, even when there's simply no way anything can turn an immigration crisis or low consumer confidence into a good time, I wish people would see that and accept that even their best choice will only make the times slightly less bad(if you conceive them as bad in the first place). I hope people will forget about politics a bit in the coming four years so they can see what a solid system they actually have set up for themselves, one that you're really not supposed to tear down, one you're supposed to cooperate with to improve both sides, and one you're supposed to trust to some extent, even when you don't understand it.

this three monkeys attitude is in my opinion not only terribly naive, it is downright dangerous. just closing the eyes and hoping it will all turn out right is what helped totalitarian regimes all over the world to get into power and keep it.

Trump is beginning to undermine the basis of the American democracy; several commentators (including me) have pointed out the warning signs. the time to act is  now, not later.

ceterum censeo pricipiis obsta

Edited by BaldJean - February 15 2017 at 04:55

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 05:30
Okay, you're misunderstanding me now; Trump should not be ignored and he should not be trusted(ideally he should stop existing tbf), but it's the public outrage and unwarranted vitriol against the leaders in place that have caused him to be president. Countries that don't have 'their own Trump' in charge yet will for now be much better off drawing some sane conclusions from Trump's stupidity and remembering that they really DON'T need a change so drastic as what Trump is doing now because it's painful, harmful and dysfunctional. I'm not talking about strict progressives such as you and me(I assume), we must certainly stand strong if/when the people elect a populist, but I was talking about the people in the middle ground, the working class, who have gotten frustrated not as much with things in their actual lives but with politics itself, struggling to understand why they do this or that when all their buddies at the pub tell them in clear language that it should all be completely different. It's pure mob mentality, here in the Netherlands all the votes for Geert Wilders come from the people in the fisher's towns with zero Muslims or old folks who are upset simply because there are some Muslims in their neighborhood who weren't their before. It confuses me even more because the immigrant stream has only added about 1/8 to the total Muslim population which has been here for decades... These people should ask themselves should be asked what they want to change for their OWN life, their own situation and that of the people around them because trying to be all-knowing is not functioning for them.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 08:01
Hmm. Mob mentality or not, twessl, Trump draws for two main reasons. His outrageousness and, as you said, the middle working class that are truly fed up with getting screwed and are desperate enough to try Trump.
Plus, he is great to make fun of. Wink Don't take it all seriously. Life is still great, even with crazy politics!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 434>