FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 230231232233234 434>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 13:39
^ Speaking of statistics, have you ever checked out the music of Iannis Xennakis?
(I might have misspelled that.)
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 13:55
^Only 1 n but close enough Wink

Yeah I like him a lot. I listen to the Works for Strings by Ensemble Resonanz quite a bit. Diamorphoses was pretty mind blowing to me when I heard it for the first time as a youngster. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 13:57
Yes, amazing music.
Not really 'statistical', but somewhat similar. How about Milton Babbit?
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 14:02
I've really wanted to love Babbitt because of the math and philadelphia connections, but his work always felt a bit sterile to me. There's definitely stuff I enjoy though, Three Compositions for Piano and All Set spring to mind. I really enjoyed his essay Who Cares If You Listen? though I haven't read it in a long time. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 14:10
Yes, I like "All Set", but my favorite is "Ensembles for Synthesizer". It seems to my ears, that by applying higher math, one produces a music very close to nature itself.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 14:25
Like math itself it can be very austere too which isn't always what I'm looking for from my music. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 20:40
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I'm going to ignore your disdain of people voting their conscience. I want you to focus on the fact that a white guy telling black people to get in line and do what's best for them given the history of race relations in the US is at best demeaning and incredibly unlikely to result in the outcome you desire. 

As valid as this may be, the Republican Party is not making a great effort to woo African Americans either.

That's true, but very tangential to what I was saying. 

The point is black people don't have an option other than to line up and vote for the Democratic Party because the GOP won't offer them an alternative.  And it's not even as if staying at home won't make it worse.  After 2016, it's unlikely they will feel that way.  
Your attempts to speak for a group of people you seem to know nothing about is ill-advised at best. Just judging from the feeds I get from my farcebook friends, its pretty obvious to me that African Americans have way more diverse political views than you think they do.
Personally, I don't care for hollywood donald at all, but I don't project my views on others, and I don't expect any group of people to have some sort of one mind about much of anything.
Your trying to speak for "black people in the south", but how many do you know personally. I live in a southern metro area that is predominantly black, these are my friends, co-workers, students, band mates etc. Hell, everybody in my band is a "southern black". They have diverse views and it is condescending and insulting for you to dictate how they vote, thats just typical 'colonial' attitude to me.

Actually I have spoken to a number of them in MD and they were all disgusted with Trump. And I am not telling them how to vote, unless you are conflating someone else's posts with mine. You would recall that it was I who posted here a clip of a black professor analysing why black voters in the South chose a moderate rather than Sanders in the Dem primary.

I am pointing out simply that election after election, only a small slice of the black vote goes to the GOP. And the GOP must think about why that is. If they think that is just the black people's fault (not going to regurgitate the familiar and insulting GOP talking points here), then they only represent white America, not America. As such, not just black people but every minority group represents a disproportionate propensity to vote for the Dems which cannot be explained as only an ideological difference. Because, as you say, they have diverse views just as white people themselves. It is the GOP that then should introspect over why minorities 'line up'to vote for the Dems no matter what. That speaks volumes about how unpalatable the GOP is, which it would be when their President asks four Congresswomen to go back to their country and attracts at best muted criticism from the GOP.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 21:29
^ I understand all that and I appreciate it.

What others might not appreciate is that there are issues in the democratic platform that are not appealing to those who may be expected to vote democratic. As an isolated and admittedly simplified example, the feeling that abortion is immoral runs across many divides in US culture. There are a lot more issues to consider too, but thats an okay example to start with.

DISCLAIMER: Just in case there is any wonder, I am in no way a republican or a member of any political party

Edited by Easy Money - April 09 2020 at 21:33
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 21:45

^ I understand all that and I appreciate it.

What others might not appreciate is that there are issues in the democratic platform that are not appealing to those who may be expected to vote democratic. As an isolated and admittedly simplified example, the feeling that abortion is immoral runs across many divides in US culture. There are a lot more issues to consider too, but thats an okay example to start with.

DISCLAIMER: Just in case there is any wonder, I am in no way a republican or a member of any political party

I agree with that but my point to Equality was that it is difficult for black people to vote as per their conscience when the alternative is so unedifying.  I hear where you're coming from, in response to the posts that said black people better vote for the Dems if they don't want Trump.  I agree that that is not a very polite way to address them, to put it mildly, but the sad reality is black people really do have no other choice.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 21:56
Wrong again, you are simplifying a group of people and ignoring their complexity by not considering the many that make triple figure incomes and prefer a republican tax structure, anti-abortionists, Zionists, law abiding gun collectors and non-law abiding gun collectors, those that think democratic social programs have weakened their community, those who are sick of the majority sticking their abortion clinics out of site in their neighborhoods as if to imply they need this service more, those opposed to the fact that abortion seems like a new way for the majority to commit genocide on their people.

None of these views are my own, these are just things I hear from my friends living here in Memphis TN. Many of these friends and associates may even vote democrat, but like the rest of us, we are talking the lesser of two evils, not devotion or enthusiasm.

Edited by Easy Money - April 11 2020 at 20:56
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 22:05

Wrong again, you are simplifying a group of people and ignoring their complexity by not considering the many that make triple figure incomes and prefer a republican tax structure, anti-abortionists, Zionists, law abiding gun collectors and non-law abiding gun collectors, those that think democratic social programs have weakened their community, those who are sick of the majority sticking their abortion clinics out of site in their neighborhoods as if to imply they need this service more, those opposed to the fact that abortions seems like a new way for the majority to commit genocide on their people.

None of these views are my own, these are just things I hear from my friends living here in Memphis TN.

You're arguing anecdotally and I am looking at undeniable demographic patterns.  So neither of us is wrong.  Yes, on an individual level, there would be many black people, in absolute terms, who don't feel like the Dems have anything to offer to them anymore.  Especially those who are well off and would like tax cuts. But as an overall group, the black vote overwhelmingly breaks for the Democratic Party.  You agreed with this earlier, or seemed to, so don't change your stance now.  It doesn't need to be said but in such discussions when I say 'black people', it doesn't mean all black people.  Else I would simply add that word, 'all'.  When we discuss how a community votes, we have to generalise, that goes with the territory.  That is not an attempt to deny there are black people who prefer the Republican Party or would rather not vote for either (like how Cornel West voted Green Party instead in 2016 and may do so again) but the overwhelming majority of black people do vote for the Democratic Party. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 22:10
True, but you missed my last edit.
Because of many issues, like many of us, its a lesser of two evils choice thats lacking in devotion or enthusiasm.

Anyway, now its my turn to solve the problems between Indian Muslims and Hindus.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 22:11

True, but you missed my last edit.
Because of many issues, like many of us, its a lesser of two evils choice thats lacking in devotion or enthusiasm.

That's the eventual outcome of a Two Party system.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 22:17
You ignored my offer to solve India's Muslim vs Hindu problem.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 22:24

You ignored my offer to solve India's Muslim vs Hindu problem.

I didn't.  You're free to.  We could use all the help we get.  Though any attempts by 'foreigners' to help will be met with shrill cries of 'mind your own business' by the idiot nationalists.  The corona lockdown has provided temporary respite from the non stop broadcasting of Islamophobia though the fact that an Islamic organisation chose to hold a large meet and then didn't cooperate with the police also caused feelings to run high for a while.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 22:31
God bless the religious kooks, they're going to need forgiveness the most.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 22:55

God bless the religious kooks, they're going to need forgiveness the most.

I pray to the Lord that they, the kooks, in particular receive no mercy whatsoever.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 21:30
Top Trump official prepared White House staff with a book about how people with mental illness can be effective leaders

Ummm...It's not just that Trump's own people in the White House think he's mentally ill. It is that they are evidently okay with it. WTF?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 05:25
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I really hope no African American person has to read that post. 
Thank you.
If someone doesn't know much about a certain group of people, they really shouldn't be telling them how they should think or vote.
Any group is far more diverse and complicated than any outsider could understand well enough to be dictating how they should feel about someone or how they should vote.

Again, another sad case to vote your conscience instead of voting for the party's candidate. It is the public's trend to always rally around a leader in times of crisis, no matter who that leader is. Trump will be in that position well into the 2020 election and with Dems voting their consciences instead of voting for it's partie's candidate, he's a sure thing. This is good. When some a** kisser like Lindsey Graham runs in his place for 2024, it will be more of the same. Again, this is good too. It's only with an extended run of Republican government leadership and the resulting devastating effects on our laws and courts that might make Dems wake up to the fact that they caused their own dire situations. By that time, it will be too late and Ill be too old to care. That's a good thing too. At least for me.

Well said Steve........

and  to whom it might concern,  no one is telling anyone what to do ,though apparently some self righteous people have that impression.
The point was that if all Dems , white , black, yellow, green, red, -pick a color you like- don't get out and vote for the Dem candidate then we all will be stuck with Mr Drumpf again for another 4 years, but then if your social conscience and scruples are more important then by all means vote for the idiot....but then keep your mouth shut when it all goes to hell.
Clap yeah, the great thing about life is that you get what you deserve. Karma is king.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2020 at 13:53
With the Covid-19 situation being an unknown factor in the November 3 election, I would like to encourage my fellow PA'ers to research their state's mail-in voting laws and see if you qualify. If you're lucky to live in a state that permits this, please do take advantage of it and check into it sooner than later.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 230231232233234 434>