Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 246247248249250 434>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 10:06
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

So this just happened last night in the quiet mountain towns of Felton and Ben Lomond, just up in the mountains above quiet little Santa Cruz (which is much less quiet and little than when I lived there).  When I first moved there, my friend who still lives there, told me that there were contingents of skinheads, etc. in the mountain area, I can't help but think they are nowadays emboldened by the implied respect for them by 45.  There still is question this am by residents whether everyone is in custody that should be.

From the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office:
On Saturday June 6th at around 1:30 p.m., we received a call about a suspicious van parked off the road near Jamison Creek, Boulder Creek. The caller saw guns and bomb making materials inside the van. When d
eputies arrived, the van was seen leaving the area and tried to follow it, finally finding it at a home on Waldeberg, Ben Lomond. As deputies began investigating, they were ambushed with gunfire and multiple improvised explosive devices. Sergeant Damon Gutzwiller was shot and taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Another deputy was either shot or struck by shrapnel and struck by a car as the suspect fled the property. We are hopeful the deputy will recover.
Calls of a carjacking nearby soon followed as officers from departments throughout Santa Cruz County began arriving to the area, several of whom were involved in the arrest of the suspect, Steven Carrillo, who was reportedly armed was shot during his arrest. The suspect survived and was treated and released from the hospital. He will be arrested for the murder of Sergeant Gutzwiller and other felonies.
Damon was a patrol supervisor and worked for the Sheriff’s Office since 2006. He is 38-years-old and married with children. Damon was a courageous, intelligent, sensitive and a caring man. “Words cannot express the pain we feel for Damon and his family,” Sheriff Jim Hart said, “He was the kind of person we all hope to be. Today, we lost a hero. We are grateful to have known him and we mourn with his family.”
The District Attorney’s Office is investigating the case. We will release more information about the incident early next week.

Shocked first I've heard of this.. but then again I've been flapping my gums all morning, and digging some great music!,  and haven't really checked the news other than making sure last nights protests here in DC stayed peaceful.

Edited by micky - June 07 2020 at 10:07
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 10:55
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

So this just happened last night in the quiet mountain towns of Felton and Ben Lomond, just up in the mountains above quiet little Santa Cruz (which is much less quiet and little than when I lived there).  When I first moved there, my friend who still lives there, told me that there were contingents of skinheads, etc. in the mountain area, I can't help but think they are nowadays emboldened by the implied respect for them by 45.  There still is question this am by residents whether everyone is in custody that should be.

From the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office:
On Saturday June 6th at around 1:30 p.m., we received a call about a suspicious van parked off the road near Jamison Creek, Boulder Creek. The caller saw guns and bomb making materials inside the van. When d
eputies arrived, the van was seen leaving the area and tried to follow it, finally finding it at a home on Waldeberg, Ben Lomond. As deputies began investigating, they were ambushed with gunfire and multiple improvised explosive devices. Sergeant Damon Gutzwiller was shot and taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Another deputy was either shot or struck by shrapnel and struck by a car as the suspect fled the property. We are hopeful the deputy will recover.
Calls of a carjacking nearby soon followed as officers from departments throughout Santa Cruz County began arriving to the area, several of whom were involved in the arrest of the suspect, Steven Carrillo, who was reportedly armed was shot during his arrest. The suspect survived and was treated and released from the hospital. He will be arrested for the murder of Sergeant Gutzwiller and other felonies.
Damon was a patrol supervisor and worked for the Sheriff’s Office since 2006. He is 38-years-old and married with children. Damon was a courageous, intelligent, sensitive and a caring man. “Words cannot express the pain we feel for Damon and his family,” Sheriff Jim Hart said, “He was the kind of person we all hope to be. Today, we lost a hero. We are grateful to have known him and we mourn with his family.”
The District Attorney’s Office is investigating the case. We will release more information about the incident early next week.

Shocked first I've heard of this.. but then again I've been flapping my gums all morning, and digging some great music!,  and haven't really checked the news other than making sure last nights protests here in DC stayed peaceful.
This falls outside of what we've been talking about so much, the protests and racism and police brutality, but I do feel it's related to the present political situation in our country.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 10:55
So much anger on this thread, like really bad anger!! Angry I realize prog is dead, but its not that bad, come on man, you still have your precious Beatles to listen to LOL, that'll brighten your day.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 10:59

I can't help but think they are nowadays emboldened by the implied respect for them by 45.  

look no further than El Paso.. he could have.. in fact SHOULD have been tagged for accessory to murder. He did the next worst thing to actually putting the guns int that guys hands..

he inspired him to kill with his message of fear, and hate...  dehumanization which as we talked about before. Is the first step to making a killer... it works...it doesn't stop the nightmares later.. PSD for many...but it works in the moment which is all that matters for those in charge.

hasn't that always been the fear with him. Not that he'd go Bush Classic.. or Bush Light and leave an economic wreck that yet another Democratic Presidnet would have to clean up...

but inability to lead in times of crisis..due to his incompetence or narcissism... we got lucky early on. How many remember.. sh*t.. how many really paid attention to jsut how close we got .. a countemanded order by Mattis himself to bumbling into a shooting war with North Korea.  Sure we would have 'won'.. tell the 100's of thousands dead that every SINGLE simulation of that conflict have.. and a great great many Americans included in that.. if that victory had been worth it.

and yes..  there was a reason every single President we have ever had would have had the sense to not toss gasoline on this fire as Trump did.. leaving aside the shear and utter political stupidity of it..it likely cemented his loss in November... but passions and anger are so ramped up right now it only takes one .. one person to snap... and that bonfire becomes an inferno. How much would it have taken to seen what happened before the White House become not an outrage.. but a f**king massacre for a politically driven shooting last week inspired by Trump's rhetoric.. I do think they might have just tried to get their hands on Trump and string him up a f**king tree.

Edited by micky - June 07 2020 at 11:01
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:37
Well, I've tried to contribute my own two cents to the thread, but I have to say that any mentions of "elites" as the culprits of everything that's wrong in the world tend to turn me off big time. Contrary to the current trend, I tend to hold "ordinary" people responsible for much that happens to them, rather than believing them poor innocent victims of those in power. I do not for a second believe that a lot of people like you and me are racist because the elites tell them to be. I'll be happy when this collective madness and fascination for conspiracy theories and finding convenient scapegoats for everything will be over - if it ever is. Until then, I'm out of here.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:44
Heartgood God you are so hot.... especially when pissed off.. LOL
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:53
Raff, great insight. Clap

I've been criticizing such scapegoating for countless years, in your way. Just look at Greenpeace. They talk like folks are innocent and naive beings, and company bosses are demonic entities, and everything would be great if they eliminated them.

No sir, and ma'am. They grew out of their public, some others will replace them even if you win your war.

Edited by Shadowyzard - June 07 2020 at 11:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 11:58
I do believe we are all responsible for our own actions and once you know more, you can no longer hide your head in the sand under an "ignorance," banner (sorry for the mixed metaphors, but I liked the mental picture I got).  Also up to us to check sources of information and to speak up when we know wrong is being done.  Probably said this in here somewhere, just because it is hard to do does not make it not worth trying to effect change.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 13:22
I, on the other hand, believe that the ordinary people are ignorant and misguided. They don't question the information fed to them and always choose the easiest path. Civilization is only skin deep. With the 'right' incentive they are prepared to commit any atrocity.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 13:27
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 13:49
^ good one Greg LOL  not sure if that made me laugh more.. or the latest numbers out of Michigan. 63-23 Biden with Independents. That is .. if my math is correct. 40 f**king points in an area Trump won in 2016.  perhaps why I've read GOP strategists are privately already writing off the state.

at Nipsy and Nickie (oh the comedic gold or TV sitcom . or a great album title to be had there)

actually I think you are both right. We are where we are out of that ignorance and stupidity of a large part of our electorate. However there is no excuse and tuning into news that is anything but merely rating driven propaganda telling you what you want to hear so you'll continue to tune in... isn't really an excuse so yeah they are responsible for it. Hell we all are I suppose. Did we really take Trump seriously.. of course not.. we assumed voters were rational took their civic duties seriously. FAIL!!!  So enough sat it out or pissed their vores away on the dope smoker to let the clown take office.

One reason civil discourse has broken down so much, ie do not discuss Trump at the family dinner table.  We never had that before..  there was simple disagreement over ideology..but this of course is uncharted territory having someone who had his own people willingly admit they have thought of the 25th amendment with him to remove for being so.. unfit for the office.. and those that stayed on simply to protect America from him and his worst excesses. 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 14:29
another thing I have observed from a quarter century as a Canadian living in America (and this in one of the more "liberal" states - Massachusetts) is the concept of "It's my right to do what I want", regardless of its effects on others.  I'm sure this happens in other countries but not sure it's to the same degree.  As a for instance in the current climate, hearing of people driven into a fit of rage because a staff member at a store asks them to please put on a mask.  I have a friend who won't bike with me because she absolutely won't wear a mask and I won't ride with her if she doesn't, case closed.  And she has made it clear that this is my fault not hers.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 14:34
^ I agree %100. Americans can have a very selfish idea of freedom and often do not consider how they may be infringing on the freedom of someone else.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 14:36
Americans love their rights.. but forget the responsibilities that come with them.  Simple as that..
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 14:44
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Well, I've tried to contribute my own two cents to the thread, but I have to say that any mentions of "elites" as the culprits of everything that's wrong in the world tend to turn me off big time. Contrary to the current trend, I tend to hold "ordinary" people responsible for much that happens to them, rather than believing them poor innocent victims of those in power. I do not for a second believe that a lot of people like you and me are racist because the elites tell them to be. I'll be happy when this collective madness and fascination for conspiracy theories and finding convenient scapegoats for everything will be over - if it ever is. Until then, I'm out of here.

Clap
...and fitting Italy very well, too... of course that's not a coincidence.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 14:47
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

I, on the other hand, believe that the ordinary people are ignorant and misguided. They don't question the information fed to them and always choose the easiest path. Civilization is only skin deep. With the 'right' incentive they are prepared to commit any atrocity.

Maybe, but even the ordinary, ignorant & misguided aren't sheep.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 15:02
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

another thing I have observed from a quarter century as a Canadian living in America (and this in one of the more "liberal" states - Massachusetts) is the concept of "It's my right to do what I want", regardless of its effects on others.  I'm sure this happens in other countries but not sure it's to the same degree.  As a for instance in the current climate, hearing of people driven into a fit of rage because a staff member at a store asks them to please put on a mask.  I have a friend who won't bike with me because she absolutely won't wear a mask and I won't ride with her if she doesn't, case closed.  And she has made it clear that this is my fault not hers.
  I agree that some people misconstrue where their personal rights end and another's begins.  I often note that just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean that you should.  And those rights have responsibilities, like the commonweal of the people.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 15:05

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

*munching popcorn, drinking beer, smoking sh*t*
You better believe it.
No matter how one sees what's happening, it is a transformational moment for humanity.   If one doesn't understand that, they either will eventually or are being selectively ignorant.

Make no mistake: The times they are 'a changing.   In a big way.
Heart the hardened cynic in me fights hard against the passionate idealist.. a battle I've fought in my mind for years.

but yes.  It does seem like...finally... we as a nation reached critical mass on this and again.. where this tipped from being a black v. system issue to 'us' v. system. I think it is because of the confluence of everything else going on in this country where people of all colors and not just the youth are saying.. enough is enough. A revolution if you will. not a violent one.. but one all the same. This is as much about politics and you know who as it is about Floyd's tragic and senseless death.

I do think it will be a long process..  but it is a start. We are in the midst of a real political realignment here.. I think this falls into it and can.. will... become more than that. A social realignment  As both would be driven by the same thing actually.. the demographic reordering of America. 

As I see it.. the political and demographic changes in America was not just inevitable.. it is going on now.. but the legacy of George Floyd will be his death was the point in which America finally woke up and changed its way regarding race relations.

Correct in every way--  it is a 'tip', a quiet revolution, or as I see it a revelation, a 'political realignment', and it will be a long process.   Some of it will be invisible, some things won't change at all.   And even if Biden wins, that doesn't mean we won't continue to have a very strong Right wing with tons of support and more Republican presidents.   You can't control people (I wouldn't want to).   You have to move them, and that's a much bigger battle.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 15:15
I've posted my thoughts .. so many times I've lost track but the battle .. the real battle has not even started yet.

I've had my private disagreements with Raff on this.. the elites are very much at play here.. and they have their own priories and ending systematic racism isn't one of them.

the real battle starts .. likely come November when the Republicans are removed from the governing and possibly even the obstruction equation.. and the Democratic civil war begins.  Between the elites in the center who have Corporate and Wall Streets interests in mind..who have the money and establishment support and the progressives who have the energy.. and perhaps even the numbers and who have the people's interests in mind which yes will include dealing with systematic racism.

interesting times ahead....
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2020 at 15:37
and what of that sizeable block of right wingers..  doomed to 3rd party status.. as they became in California. So many have seen it coming.. even their own post election mortums.. but they have painted themselves so far to the right.. that to move center... to move to the left .well. those capable of it.. already have in 2018 or are now doing so.

they were on the losing side of the culture war.. and soon to be consigned to the dustbin of history for shear lack of number or appeal in a changing America. A rump regional party centered on teh deep south and upper midwest.. and fatal condition in a 2 party system. All one really has to is open their eye to see this happening and an eventual split of the Democratic Party reflecting the very political realignment we are talking of in which the Republican Party dies and is replaced by a centrist party to balance the very strong and growing yearly left leaning sentiments in this country.. 

Edited by micky - June 07 2020 at 15:39
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 246247248249250 434>