Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 434>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 15:24
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I find your thought processes as mystifying and backward as any benighted Trump flunky trotted out nightly on Faux News who speak of patriotism only when it suits their gun collection or their war on women's vaginas.

I have neither a gun collection or a woman's vagina.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 15:26
*spits iced tea on monitor*

you could say that... we are experiencing the worst most dysfunctional 100 days of any modern Presidency.. and we have 4 years more of this. Yeah... Obama on his merits will and already is by Presidential historians looked upon very favorably.  Unlike voters... there are some who remember the domestic and foreign disaster he inherited and what a great job he did fixing one, and trying to limit the hemorgaging in the other.

however Trump will make the Obama years look even more golden. Warren 2020.. Trump is just setting the table for her and her brand of politics. Sooner or later people will finally realize that is the path this country has to take.  Conservative policies have proven to be failures.. and shame on you Trump voters for forgetting Bush and his cronies... and all the failures of trickle down economics.. and that rich oligarphs and silver spoon motherf**kers you continue to elect care one bit about you. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 16:29
not sure how much press this has got but we get this month an early test of what is going on in the ground and a measure for Democratic grassroots mobilization as well as the continuation of some trends.

We have special election for a House seat this month.

Can a Democrat take the Georgia house seat held by Price in Georgia and has been deep red for decades.

Pros have it listed as a toss up... the suburbs are trending blue around Atlanta, and this Democrat young, male and white....has raised millions and seems to be hell on wheels.

will be a very interesting race to watch.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2017 at 01:44
Just to play devil's advocate for a moment: don't you think that, regardless of motivation, Trump not reacting to the Russian election influencing etc., he is avoiding the fully-fledged confrontation with the Russians that Cheney and cronies would have us in at this very moment? Even if it is purely for business reasons.

But then of course: would Hillary react as extremely as Cheney/Bush would have?
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2017 at 01:56
Another question: how many years do you think it will take to undo the damage that Trump has already done in about 100 days to US society (open racial discimination etc)?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2017 at 07:34
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment: don't you think that, regardless of motivation, Trump not reacting to the Russian election influencing etc., he is avoiding the fully-fledged confrontation with the Russians that Cheney and cronies would have us in at this very moment? Even if it is purely for business reasons.

But then of course: would Hillary react as extremely as Cheney/Bush would have?

ignore the crap from Cheney's mouth... even the hawks.. and I am one myself know direct confrontation with Russia is a lose-lose proposition.  No one wins.. everyone loses.

ww3 doesn't start in the far east.. it starts in the Ukraine.

At issue is Trump turning a blind eye or enabling Putin...  something the neo-cons wouldn't do, nor did Obama, nor would Killary which is likely why in the most honest of circumstances (ignoring any business/finanical shenignans between Trump and the Russians) is why the Russians obviously wanted Trump.. not HIllary in the White House. Clinton is a tough experienced diplomat who, as much as the neo-cons wouldn't shy from swinging the sword,  Trump though.  A baby in a room of men in terms of diplomacy and world politcs. 

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2017 at 07:49

Another question: how many years do you think it will take to undo the damage that Trump has already done in about 100 days to US society (open racial discimination etc)?

try this again...  remember.. save those posts.  Captcha is active this moring.. and will get you...

LOL  to be honest...  the real damage he is likely to inflict is upon his own party which is why the intellectuals and establishment were SO against him. 

in fact it is very possible that we might have less to clean up than past Presidents.  First 100 days.  He has accomplished.. a grand total... of nothing.  It is very possible that due to the ideological fault lines in Congress.. hell within the White House itself that very little of substance gets done in the balance of his Presidency.. be it the 4 years or 4 months he has remaining.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2017 at 09:20
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

First 100 days.  He has accomplished.. a grand total... of nothing.

yeah man.. I stand corrected

nothing only if one doesn't count alienating...

the Federal Judiciary
the Federal Bureaucracy
any and all Democrats
the leaders of the UK, Germany, Russia, Mexico, N.K, and probably a few more on top of that haha

and tossing gas into the long simmering civil war within his own party. Now raging into a full blown inferno.. so much for accomplishing anything huh...

way to go Donald.. I'm sure that is exactly what those who bought your bullsh*t and elected you thought they'd get hahaha
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2017 at 16:18
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

f**k CAPTCHA ...Trump... Republicans.. and other assorted child molesters..  facists.. racists ...

and  M@X as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warren 2020!!!!! 

Error Error Only members with sufficient permission can access this page.

A security error has occurred with authentication.

Please ensure that all cookies are enabled on your web browser, you are not using a saved or cached copy of the page, and your Firewall/Proxy settings are not hiding or masking your IP address.
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2017 at 19:24

It isn't new, I would say it's inevitable that it came out, and it's going to get worse. Maybe they were empowered a little early, but Trump didn't just inspire some people to become racist. Their resentment already existed, and it was bound to surface as economic pressures mount. For that matter, I've come to question whether there is a way forward at all. Consider this scenario:

Racial tensions will increase as the economy continues to pick winners and losers on ever more spurious whims. Older adults will become more outspoken as they gradually lose the ability to hold their tongues (both the sense of what is socially acceptable, and the self-control to keep it to themselves). Demographic balkanization will continue as driven by economic factors -- people will continue to move out of the heartland, populations of cities and near suburbs will continue to become more diverse as the exurbs remain pasty. This will all come to a head as the Boomers reach their peak age and dutifully crush the solvency of the federal government. The feds would have been able to borrow their way out in the short term and inflate themselves into the black later, but the massive debt run up beforehand will ruin that. The economic push toward taxing individuals rather than business led by the right will drain federal coffers further. Unemployment driven by automation will drive wage stratification considerably. The Boomers will begin divesting their real estate holdings as they age, and the glut of free properties driven by the current "recovery" (i.e. older adults owning multiple properties) will flatline the housing markets. Since the middle and poorer classes have most of their "wealth" invested in their real estate, their fortunes will crumble ever further. The loss of wealth and real estate employment thrusts the economy deeper into recession.

So we have massive social unrest, incredible economic stratification, massive unemployment, bitterness all around, and an ailing federal government with no means to lighten the load. With a political system based on shared responsibility pursuant to a strong middle class, the gears of governance grind to a halt. Sure, there are ways around, but there's no will to enact those means, and no time left to convince people to do it. With racial scapegoating inevitable, no Federal apparatus to oppose unrest, and weak states thrust into new duties without real infrastructure to handle them, resentment boils into violence. So maybe the damage won't be undone. Maybe we're just writing another bloody page in history.
Hail Eris!
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 00:32
After 100 days of the new presidency, I think it’s fair to say that absolutely nothing the White House says and does makes any sense at all, except for one explanation that I’ll get to in a moment.

Just some examples of things baffling: the election promises, both those kept (at least attempted to) and those denied ever having been made in spite of audiovisual documentation. The ties to Russia and their (supposedly) secret investigation. The Devin Numes scandal. Unfathomably stupid tweets. Press speakers that don’t seem to live in the real world. A Nazi strategic advisor. Family members (wealthy beyond belief) sacrificing their salaries to advise the president. Alienation of trade partners, of friendly countries and their elected heads of state, and of allied military organizations. The destruction of the environment. The war with the own political party. All those seemingly random reactions and non-reactions to events.

All these things make it impossible to predict anything because they do not follow any pattern that could be even marginally described as normal.

Now why could this be? My explanation, and the only one that makes sense:

Imagine that the aliens, lead by Donald Trump and crashed at Area 52, have multiplied and secretly spread across the world, especially the USA. They are now making up between 35% and 40% of the US population (see Trump’s approval rating). Their thought processes are absolutely alien to us, and only makes sense to them; to us it’s only visible as the (perceived by us) muddle of apparent confusion emanating from the White House. To them, it’s cold logic. What’s more, their ideal climate is several degrees higher than it is at the moment, and they prefer a large amount of carbon monoxide in the atmosphere. The near future (North Korea) will show if they also prefer elevated levels of radioactivity across the globe. Chernobyl and Fukushima were possibly just test runs.

So, my explanation: Guys, we are witnessing an alien invasion. My dogs and my cats tell me so, and when I take off my tin foil hat, I can feel it in the air, and the voices become stronger, and I get the urge to join ISIS and bomb a few airports. Better put in on again quickly.

Does anyone have a better explanation? If I don't post anything in the next few days, please notify Scully and Mulder.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 04:04
Originally posted by Gamemako Gamemako wrote:

It isn't new, I would say it's inevitable that it came out, and it's going to get worse. Maybe they were empowered a little early, but Trump didn't just inspire some people to become racist. Their resentment already existed, and it was bound to surface as economic pressures mount. For that matter, I've come to question whether there is a way forward at all. Consider this scenario:

Racial tensions will increase as the economy continues to pick winners and losers on ever more spurious whims. Older adults will become more outspoken as they gradually lose the ability to hold their tongues (both the sense of what is socially acceptable, and the self-control to keep it to themselves). Demographic balkanization will continue as driven by economic factors -- people will continue to move out of the heartland, populations of cities and near suburbs will continue to become more diverse as the exurbs remain pasty. This will all come to a head as the Boomers reach their peak age and dutifully crush the solvency of the federal government. The feds would have been able to borrow their way out in the short term and inflate themselves into the black later, but the massive debt run up beforehand will ruin that. The economic push toward taxing individuals rather than business led by the right will drain federal coffers further. Unemployment driven by automation will drive wage stratification considerably. The Boomers will begin divesting their real estate holdings as they age, and the glut of free properties driven by the current "recovery" (i.e. older adults owning multiple properties) will flatline the housing markets. Since the middle and poorer classes have most of their "wealth" invested in their real estate, their fortunes will crumble ever further. The loss of wealth and real estate employment thrusts the economy deeper into recession.

So we have massive social unrest, incredible economic stratification, massive unemployment, bitterness all around, and an ailing federal government with no means to lighten the load. With a political system based on shared responsibility pursuant to a strong middle class, the gears of governance grind to a halt. Sure, there are ways around, but there's no will to enact those means, and no time left to convince people to do it. With racial scapegoating inevitable, no Federal apparatus to oppose unrest, and weak states thrust into new duties without real infrastructure to handle them, resentment boils into violence. So maybe the damage won't be undone. Maybe we're just writing another bloody page in history.
I've stayed pretty mum here until Americans realize that Trump is a symptom of America's social disease and not it's cause. Racism that was always buried just under the surface in the larger populace has now become visible. Nothing more, nothing less. America is a socially damaged country and until that fact is recognized and addressed, nothing will change, except for those who are in charge.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2017 at 00:08
Well, the Democrats are finally standing up to the aggressive tactics they've faced for years, decades really:

Today Chris Coons of Delaware said he will support the filibuster of Gorsuch. This gives the Democrats 41 votes, enough to deny the GOP a cloture vote. If the Democrats choose to filibuster Gorsuch, the GOP can't stop it. The threat is of course that Mitch McConnell will take the nuclear option.

The staring contest is on!

Anyway, they have called McConnell's bluff, now the ball is in his court. The nuclear option doesn't have to happen, a deal can be struck. There used to be some GOPers that knew even if it benefits you now, you don't wanna take that route. But GWBush feels like a long, long time ago...
We shall see. I wanna say a deal is being worked on. To me, the best solution to all this is pull Gorsuch, nominate a more moderate judge. The GOP still gets to fill the seat and prevent a liberal court, the Dems can get a less conservative judge, and deal another blow to Trump and co, the filibuster is preserved. Win win win. With the shock of an actual push back maybe the GOP will take a moment to actually think more than a minute ahead.

Or they wont lol More I think about it, while I would prefer to keep the filibuster, I can accept the nuclear option. Besides the fact Mitch would threaten it next time, even if we back down now so what's the point, it IS kind of undemocratic, and while many of us think of it as some long standing historical tool for empowering the minority...seems it really wasn't used much at all before the 1970s. And it's become a tool for abuse recently, way outside its intent. Also heard a great argument: Keep the base fired up. The Dems are currently amped up, and feeling especially good after the healthcare win. Imagine giving Trump and Co a second loss. With his numbers taking a tumble, this is a time to listen to the base instead of ignoring them. Keep the people fired up, maybe make 2018 good for them, and onto 2020.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 19:30
Steven Bannon is hastily forced to vacate the National Security Council, with the White House giving its usual half-arsed excuses as to why. That the drunken fascist is gone is reason enough to celebrate, however a vast majority of Americans hope the reason for his firing is not due to a sex tape....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 03:11
Yes, much as we hoped the Trump golden shower on young Russian prostitutes thing was real, sadly the reality is much more banal. 

From what I gather, this stems from the Flynn debacle and general infighting. Seems Flynn's replacement, HR McMaster has tried to restore sanity and competency to the department, and was a big force in driving Bannon out. Jared Kushner also played a major role, some feel for his self benefit but also he is more of a "normal" technocratic type and has been pretty angry with Bannon's white nationalist, extreme rhetoric which he felt was harmful to Trump. Also Bannon "brought out the worst" in Trump he says. His failure to wrangle the GOP into the Obamacare alternative really did him in it seems. 

I am glad beyond words. While I loathe Trump having wise influence because it may help himLOL I can only be glad Bannon is gone. We can deal with normal sociopathic Republicans...even the Tea Party, but not that insane human being bent on WWIII
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 04:02
I feel bad for Bannon. Now he'll to walk to his park bench at night now that he no loner has a chauffeured limo.
But his presence will always be "felt" within the Trump administration, even if he is no loner there in body. Nothing changes.  
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 17:03
I'd really like to know: which president of the USA do you think was the last one to be the most universally revered?
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 17:39

I'd really like to know: which president of the USA do you think was the last one to be the most universally revered?

Reagan was fairly popular, I didn't much care for him myself, but he was probably the most popular president in my lifetime.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 22:16

No one within the past half century for sure. It might be a good idea to look on our currency to see who we revere. Notice no Reagan yet. His legacy has yet to be resolved since the voodoo/trickle down stuff is still swirling in the mindset of modern Republicanism. Universally revered? Lincoln and Washington. Probably only. Then maybe the Roosevelts, depending on how abhorrent people think using the federal government for something as dastardly as creating national parks or Social Security is.

Edited by stonebeard - April 06 2017 at 22:16
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2017 at 13:13

Being universally revered requires that every person and policy grievance associated with that president be long dead. We haven't reached that point yet with anyone past perhaps Teddy Roosevelt (left office March 1909). Next likely to be lionized are FDR if Social Security holds up through the Boomers, maybe JFK later (being assassinated helps). Much too early to talk Reagan, especially since his particular political style may put him more on the Hoover side of history.
Hail Eris!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 434>