Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 434>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 22:37
Democrats lost the race for Kansas' 4th district by 6 points. 
This is quite a shocker actually, they usually back the GOP by 25-30 points (Trump by 27) and is one of the more Republican districts in the US. 
Possibly a one off, OR a sign of 2018 troubles for the GOP ahead. We have to see how the other special elections go. The one in GA being heavily targeted. 

The Dems have to learn from the GOP: Target state races. This is unsexy, but it works. They focused on state races in 2010, swept house, and redrew the lines to favor conservatism for 10 years. We need to hyper focus on 2018 while momentum/energy is still going. Hopefully carry it into 2020. 
This is where Bernie, after being spat on by most of the party, is now a yuuge asset. One of the most politicians in the country right now, he's stumping all over the place, even West Virginia where he gets standing ovation for advocating single payer healthcare, basically on the road carrying the flag into battle.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 04:32
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I don't know, man, Hillary is a tough old broad.   I wouldn't be shocked at all if she were capable of starting wars more easily than, well, almost anyone.

She was quite hawkish. This is not really surprising to anyone who knows her record, including as Sect of State. It was a major (but not surprising at all) hypocrisy to see many "anti war" liberals suddenly defend her record on the matter at all costs. I mean, the GOP of all people actually claimed Obama was being a "war hawk" and wanted to police the world which is laughable, especially since they now are foaming for Trump to nuke Syria.
People are damn hypocrites. Thing is I will call out both sidesSmile

Speaking of Syria, holy sh*t...Sean Spicer. Are you TRYING to outdo SNL?
Said (in comparison to Assad) even Hitler never gassed people?
When "uh gas chambers!?" are mentioned
"Oh well I mean Hitler never did it on innocent/regular people"
jesus.....now I am sure this isn't holocaust denialism or anything like that, but it may be the stupidest f**king thing ever said, which is no small feat. I mean the guy said "Holocaust centers" for God's sake. Iromically he reminds me of von Ribbentrop...a total idiot that no one likes but no one bothers to get rid of because he's such a mindless, pathetic, yes man

Hillary would have been Hawkish in the Obama mode. Drone attacking eminent US threats while keeping boots off the ground. Even if she proposed bombing Syrian gas depots, she would have met with the same resistance that Obama met when he proposed the same idea to the Senate during his tenure as President.

As for these ignorant and insensitive comments from Spicer saying "even Hitler didn't use chemical weapons" is an example of just how systemic is the ignorance and just how out of touch the entire Trump cabinet is to the current state, and past state, of the world we inhabit. 

At least Spicer apologized. Kellyann Conway would have simply said that Spicer's statement was an "alternate fact."

Edited by SteveG - April 12 2017 at 04:46
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 14:29

Democrats lost the race for Kansas' 4th district by 6 points. 
This is quite a shocker actually, they usually back the GOP by 25-30 points (Trump by 27) and is one of the more Republican districts in the US. 
Possibly a one off, OR a sign of 2018 troubles for the GOP ahead. We have to see how the other special elections go. The one in GA being heavily targeted. 

The Dems have to learn from the GOP: Target state races. This is unsexy, but it works. They focused on state races in 2010, swept house, and redrew the lines to favor conservatism for 10 years. We need to hyper focus on 2018 while momentum/energy is still going. Hopefully carry it into 2020. 
This is where Bernie, after being spat on by most of the party, is now a yuuge asset. One of the most politicians in the country right now, he's stumping all over the place, even West Virginia where he gets standing ovation for advocating single payer healthcare, basically on the road carrying the flag into battle.

yeah.... looking promising.. probably too much to expect a win.. but it continues the trend in these special elections that Dem's are outperforming November by double digits at a bare minimum.. 30 or more points in some cases.

Yeah...  that Georgia one is one that is not too much to dream for win...decades a Republican stronghold.. now VERY much in play.  Cobb country..the other great suburban Atlanta bastion of Republican power in Georgia narrowly went blue in November.. Atlanta's suburbs seem trending blue and when or if they do all the way... the state will go with it .. at least in a national sense. Much as Virginia did.. the heavy urban surburban vote...offsetting all the rural yokel vote...

agreed.. that was one of the lessons the party needed to learn... passion and organization at the local grassroots level. Again 2018 is still a ways off.. but it does appear that the party is highly energized and motivated.. not by the DNC.. but at the grassroots, local activist level.  well done...

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 14:32
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

White dudes explaining racismLOL

better than white dudes ignoring racism.. or voting for it LOL
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 14:38
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I don't know, man, Hillary is a tough old broad.   I wouldn't be shocked at all if she were capable of starting wars more easily than, well, almost anyone.
She was quite hawkish. This is not really surprising to anyone who knows her record, including as Sect of State. It was a major (but not surprising at all) hypocrisy to see many "anti war" liberals suddenly defend her record on the matter at all costs. I mean, the GOP of all people actually claimed Obama was being a "war hawk" and wanted to police the world which is laughable, especially since they now are foaming for Trump to nuke Syria.
Hillary would have been Hawkish in the Obama mode. Drone attacking eminent US threats while keeping boots off the ground. Even if she proposed bombing Syrian gas depots, she would have met with the same resistance that Obama met when he proposed the same idea to the Senate during his tenure as President.

No, she would've been worse.   Hillary don't take nothin' from no one, she's been around too long and suffered too much to display the kind of sheepish and tentative Obama-style militarism.   She's smarter than Trump but more bellicose than Obama.

And BTW am I the only one on the planet who thinks the United Airlines dude is deeply disturbed and criminally psychotic?   I mean when you're on a plane what would you want security to do to a crazed, drug-dealing cardsharp who is screaming like a little girl?   I say pull him off the damn plane, and quick.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 14:47
worse?  Well said about Hillary.. she was both smart and bellicose ,. and that is is a very good combination....  it is a dangerous world out there man.  If you aren't in front in the dangers.. they they are crawling up your ass while you are not looking. 

No real thoughts on the United thing.. to be honest.. I've been laughing too hard at all the internet meme's to really care about the guy and if he was right or wrong.  God there are some creative witty people in the internet void. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 15:07

No, she would've been worse.   Hillary don't take nothin' from no one, she's been around too long and suffered too much to display the kind of sheepish and tentative Obama-style militarism.   She's smarter than Trump but more bellicose than Obama.

And BTW am I the only one on the planet who thinks the United Airlines dude is deeply disturbed and criminally psychotic?   I mean when you're on a plane what would you want security to do to a crazed, drug-dealing cardsharp who is screaming like a little girl?   I say pull him off the damn plane, and quick.

My opinion of Hillary was based on her running as Obama's girl and upholding his agenda. From where do you draw your opinion on Hillary, David? Just a gut reaction? 

As to your question about the UA dude, probably yes.

This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 18:15
^ Hillary holding up anyone's agenda seems unlikely, she is an independent operator.   She is inline with Obama politically, but that doesn't mean she' do what he'd have done under similar circumstances.   A gut reaction?   Perhaps.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 18:34
LOL

Edited by timothy leary - April 19 2017 at 15:15
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 20:51
no... never said that...  but.. the big but... if doesn't really matter if they are or not... if they suporting those who either are (your southern rebublicans).. or play divisive racial politics playing upon voters fear (the rest of the party)

they've been doing since Willie Horten and it works.. suppose you are not stupid enough to have missed the last 30 years of American poiltics and just want to pull my tail for the hell of it.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 21:02

yeah.... he sort of blew a fuse there... easy enough to do

I remember the last time I flew...  10 hours stuck in plane with seemingly every single american baby returning from Europe and they all decided to scream and cry for the entire damn flight.  Well we touched down at Dulles and proceeded to enter the clusterf**k that is TSA border control.  2 f**king hours later.. after going through several lines for automated devices (to save time you know! Thumbs Up) I was tired, pissed, hungry, horny, drunk and wanting a cigarette so badly I would kill the first motherf**ker that really pissed me off..  well be careful what you ask for LOL

after 2 hours.. we end up in another line.. with some rude 20 something kid with a badge and a gun.. who asked for the SAME DAMNED information we had already given...  yeah.. I almost went back to the Bad Micky of my youth and grab him by the throat and express my displeasure.... but I didn't...

lesson the good Doctor should have not forgotten.. don't f**k the men in charge when it comes to aviation...   

obviously UA made a dog's dinner and a PR nightmare and disaster of it.

Edited by micky - April 12 2017 at 21:05
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 22:47
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

no... never said that...  but.. the big but... if doesn't really matter if they are or not... if they suporting those who either are (your southern rebublicans).. or play divisive racial politics playing upon voters fear (the rest of the party)

they've been doing since Willie Horten and it works.. suppose you are not stupid enough to have missed the last 30 years of American poiltics and just want to pull my tail for the hell of it.

The Democrats play very obvious racial politics as well, yet they are not unvotably racist?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 03:47
I think that we're all racists under the skin. Some of us handle it a little better. JMO.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 05:06

I think that we're all racists under the skin.
Not necessarily - I think we all tend to be tribal  - race and religious differences are just products of that. As teh concept of tribe has been replaced by increasingly larger communities our inherent ability to detect a threat on our tribe's survival by a neighbouring tribe has been short-circuited. Where once we identified a threat as being anyone we didn't personally recognise (i.e.,subtle detection) we now accept (on a base level) anyone who looks and behaves like us as belonging to the same tribe, therefore anyone who doesn't, isn't (crude detection). Someone who is a different colour or religion is clearly not of our tribe, hence is [instinctively] seen as a threat to survival.

Some of us handle it a little better. JMO.
Yup. But there is hope. (I hope)

Edited by Dean - April 13 2017 at 05:07
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 05:33
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I think that we're all racists under the skin.
Not necessarily - I think we all tend to be tribal  - race and religious differences are just products of that. As teh concept of tribe has been replaced by increasingly larger communities our inherent ability to detect a threat on our tribe's survival by a neighbouring tribe has been short-circuited. Where once we identified a threat as being anyone we didn't personally recognise (i.e.,subtle detection) we now accept (on a base level) anyone who looks and behaves like us as belonging to the same tribe, therefore anyone who doesn't, isn't (crude detection). Someone who is a different colour or religion is clearly not of our tribe, hence is [instinctively] seen as a threat to survival.

Good point. I was just thinking out loud, as they say. I also think that other factors may apply such as egoism, nationalism, etc.

Edited by SteveG - April 13 2017 at 06:21
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 10:04
LOL

Edited by timothy leary - April 19 2017 at 15:15
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 12:45

Dark details emerge on United Airlines doctor's criminal past

ALEX LASKER, AOL.COM
Apr 11th 2017 10:16AM

Troubling details have emerged about the Kentucky doctor who was dragged off a United Airlines flight at O'Hare International Airport on Monday.

Dr. David Dao was charged with 98 felony drug counts in 2003 for illegally prescribing and trafficking painkillers such as hydrocodone, OxyContin and Percocet, according to TMZ.

According to a criminal complaint filed against him, Dao also allegedly solicited sex from a male patient in exchange for drug prescriptions.

Dao, who attended medical school in Vietnam in the 1970s, was eventually convicted on six felony counts of obtaining drugs by fraud and deceit.

Dao was placed on five years of supervised probation in January 2005, although he surrendered his medical license one month later, according to the Courier-Journal.

< itemscope="" item="https://schema.org/WPAdBlock" width="728" height="90" title="Ad" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" allowtransparency="true" border="0" scrolling="no" id="atwAd1" banid="5668851|12" ="uac_728x90" style="-sizing: border-; visibility: ; display: inline;">

The Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure allowed Dao to resume his practice in 2015, but only under certain conditions.

Edited by SteveG - April 13 2017 at 12:48
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 13:09
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

I would like to point out your tendency to demonize any views contrary to your own. >>>>>

Big Micky would never do that.

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 13:48

TRUMP: We're talking about surveillance. It was wiretapped in quotes. "The New York Times" said the word wiretapped in the headline of the first edition. Then they took it out of there fast when they realized. But I put wiretapped in quotes, meaning, because, look, wiretapping is an old-fashioned...

(CROSSTALK)

TRUMP: — there are too many wires anymore, right?

(CROSSTALK)

TRUMP: You don't have a lot of wires. Look at this room. This room used to have a lot of wires. Now it doesn't have so many wires.

Edited by The T - April 13 2017 at 13:48
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 16:08
A couple of articles for your consideration: a look at Jeff Sessions's days as prosecutor in Alabama, in which he tried to hold back civil rights and engaged in politically motivated "anti-corruption" cases, and a rumination on how Trump's conflicts of interest and disdain for anti-corruption laws embolden grafters worldwide and embarrass our whole nation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 434>