Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 434>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 15:34
In more good news, Puzder has pulled himself out of the running for Secretary of Labor. We now avoid having to deal with a very anti-worker, anti-union slimebag. Looks to have been brought down not just by that, but not filing his paperwork with the ethics folks, resurfacing domestic violence allegations, and finally a retreat of key conservative support either because of or under the cover of revelations he hired an undocumented immigrant has a housekeeper and didn't pay related taxes.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 19:18
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

the stupidity of the Trump administration is apparently seeping through even to non-political US-organizations. it is an absolute ignominy for the USTA to have the banned first verse of the Deutschlandlied, "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles" ("Germany, Germany above all") sung before the matches started.  

I would have preferred...

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 23:15
Puzder withdraws his name for the Sect of Labor nomination!!

Someone opposed to raising the min wage, expanding overtime, paid sick leave and onerous regulations such as breaks, who has quite a number of labor violation lawsuits against him and praised automation for several reasons one being "robots wont file an age, sex or race discrimination lawsuit" is probably not the best pick for Sect of LaborLOL

Now, I think normally he would've passed the Republican Senate, seems he was done in by the undocumented worker he hired, as well as his stance on immigration being too liberal for the new right and some very unsettling comments on women, plus his potential domestic abuse history. 
All I know is glad he failed, because he probably wouldn't have on his own. 

Who knows what Trump's next pick will be, I imagine wont be any better but will lack the baggage and thus be nominated, but still. Every victory counts along the waySmile
Especially since Steve Mnuchin the Goldman Sachs hedge funder looking to roll back Wall St reform was confirmed as Sect of Treasury. A lone Democrat broke rank to vote yes, Joe Manchin....ugh I get needing to moderate for your base but by this point we may have to admit WV is lost..I mean guy has supported everyone sans DeVos

Edited by JJLehto - February 16 2017 at 01:06
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 02:11
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Hmm. Mob mentality or not, twessl, Trump draws for two main reasons. His outrageousness and, as you said, the middle working class that are truly fed up with getting screwed and are desperate enough to try Trump.
Plus, he is great to make fun of. Wink Don't take it all seriously. Life is still great, even with crazy politics!
middle working class = what I explained = mob mentality
'Don't take it all seriously' is exactly what I'm saying; if you Americans aren't going to actually do anything about Trump I will keep ignoring most of him and go on with the good life I know I have, but if the reverse parties, those who are still trying to get populists in power would do the same that would solve a lot. Sometimes you should accept you don't have an ideal government in place and you should patiently try to solve the actual problems. I've read all ~150 pages of discussion here, followed the news closely, watched interviews, talk shows and late night shows, I think I sort of know what got Trump in power and it's all based on the same group of people with paranoid, contrarian mindsets yelling 'The government is WEAK!', when before this, they didn't even have to care. Obama was basically a very professional, quite impeccable president and now they're bored with the government that actually profits near everyone but only a little, so when they encounter a complex problem, deeply embedded into society, and they don't hear Obama giving 'strong' commands for a solution they will get paranoid and think they're being forgotten, when they should really just look around and see things really haven't gotten worse than before...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 04:03

I agree with your claim that a large number of people have panicked into backing Trump but that is not a "mob mentality" which is associated with unruly mob violence. "Mob mentality" is this:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/torches_and_pitchforks.jpg
I don't think this represents the majority of Trump supporters, as much as we left wingers like to imagine it does.

Edited by SteveG - February 16 2017 at 04:05
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 05:51
Yes there are some people just quietly following in the back but there's still:
And if you ask the average Trump voter if they agree they probably will, they want to democratically harm and punish the establishment, they don't have a clue about actual solutions, sorry.

Edited by twseel - February 16 2017 at 05:54
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 07:59
Sorry again, but making idle legal threats is still not a mob mentality. Just a chant. However, Flynn transgressions crossed that line and legal problems could actually be following him.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 09:48
wiki: Herd mentality, or mob mentality, describes how people are influenced by their peers to adopt certain behaviors. Examples of the herd mentality include stock market trends, superstition and home décor. Social psychologists study the related topics of group intelligencecrowd wisdom, and decentralized decision making.
Anyhow, I think the point is clear.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 19:05

President Snowflake is upset about leaks? Today he made the stunningly stultifying comment, "The leaks are absolutely real; the news is fake because so much of the news is fake." Bzuh? He has also referred to "criminal' leaks and "low-life leakers" previously this week. Can we have a moment of clarity, Mr. President? Yes, clarity – even though the word is synonymous with obfuscation and obtuseness in the muddy gutters of your miasmic mind.

We'll use exact quotes so there is no "fake news" claim. During the presidential campaign you made the statement “I love WikiLeaks,” and you loudly proclaimed, “Russia, if you’re listening,” please come hack another U.S. politician’s emails. You said that. Out of your own mouth. On video. Before millions of viewers. You love leaks [insert “golden-showers” pun here]. So you welcomed illegal hacking and invited a foreign power to spy on U.S. citizens, when it suited you. I was never a fan of George W. Bush, but I could not imagine him saying something so dangerously un-American. Can you imagine those words coming out of Ronald Reagan’s mouth? Hell no!

And now 45’s becoming even more unhinged -- and I would suggest anyone with a hint of sentience and not utterly comatose could watch today’s news conference without getting the distinct impression that Trump is no longer dealing in reality. He strings words together like some malignant child trying to explain to his horrified parents how he couldn’t possibly have burned down the house -- just because he’s holding matches and a gasoline can. The media is “fake” when they use direct quotes and point out when he and his staff lie (or use “alternative facts” if you prefer). The leaks are “absolutely real”, but the “news is fake” when Michael Flynn resigns after having admitted he lied about speaking illegally to the Russians about lifting sanctions.

Every national security organization has stated the Russians hacked U.S. email servers for their political gain. The National Security Adviser has admitted to illegal discussions with the Russians, and was forced to resign. Trump aides were caught having “repeated contacts with Russian Intelligence”. How much longer will the eunuch Republicans in congress and the senate sing in castrato choir, harmonizing with Trump? What will it take for Americans to actually remember how to act like Americans and demand an open and independent investigation of this farce?

Edited by The Dark Elf - February 16 2017 at 19:05
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 19:45
^ He could do the unthinkable and give legitimacy back to news journalism.   Who'd have thought.

Edited by Atavachron - February 16 2017 at 22:54
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 19:51
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ He could do the unthinkable and give legitimacy back to news journalism.   Who'd of thought.

I think if The NY Times or some other paper connects all the Russian dots, they'll win the Pulitzer and take down a president a la The Washington Post and Watergate. Kremlingate? Putingate? The Great Gate of Kiev?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 20:01
ehhhh...  I'm of two minds about this. And yeah...that press conference was a HOOT!  Washington is abuzz at our completely unhinged President. Oh was that a surprise to people.. that he is not temperamentally suited at ALL to be President.  Nah.. get out of town.

One... I'm loving it.  I rush to the computer when I get home just to see our President has done or said each day. This sh*t is pricless man.. never seen anything like this.. hopefully never will again.  Hey we are only 1 month in.. still have 3 years to go!

Two... a profound sadness at what this country has become. America.. and those that voted for him GOT EXACTLY what they deserve for their ignorance, apathy and your stupidity. 

You paid for it.. now eat it.  Perhaps next time you'll treat your vote with the respect and thought it deserves. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 20:05
^ You know Americans; gotta have change... CHANGE!   But people forget change can be as destructive as helpful.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 20:30
not to mention forgetting the economic and foreign wreckage the last completely unsuited to the job Republican President we elected brought upon the country.  You can forgive them for that one, who really expected Darth Cheney to rule in his stead with him giving Dubya pacifiers to quietly suck on during important meetings LOL.. but there was no excuse for Trump voters. The evidence was there .. all you had to do was open your eyes.

Ignorance and amnesia. the recipe for Trump 2016. Thumbs Up

Edited by micky - February 16 2017 at 20:31
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 20:33
Alec Baldwin could go on SNL, quote Trump word for word from the press conference today, and it would come across as over the top parody. Then Trump could criticize SNL for being mean for using his own words against him.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 23:12
Yeah...the irony is not lost on me Trump is bashing leaks, when he had no issue at all with leaks before when it was against Clinton/DNC. Oi.... I swear, I think part of his appeal is people know he's full of sh*t and lying, but he's so blatant with it, he tries so little to hide it,  I think some find it "refreshing"

No doubt Mick, the 40+% of eligible voters, those who voted to be edgy/on overly idealistic lines, (and the poor blue collar workers who probably meant well honestly) will all be kicking thesmelves for a while. I also hope that is one of many lessons to come from this: people take their right to vote more seriously.

Yeah it's kinda scary how SNL, even the Onion, isn't even satire now. Seriously, I'll read Onion articles and think "this is basically reporting the news"LOL This is life nowCry
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 23:20
Well, Trump has learned a lesson (lol excuse me I mean Pence/Priebus have learned a lesson) in not going so hard line. The new nominee for Sect of Labor is Alexander Acosta, a Hispanic actually has quite a good list of credentials including some actually related to the position he's been nominated for (With Trump is, clearly, not always the case). Looking into his record ...doesn't seem so awful. I mean I'm sure he's conservative and probably leans anti labor, but dare I say it's a qualified sane pick that seems to have no reason to be opposed. 
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 01:09
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Yeah...the irony is not lost on me Trump is bashing leaks, when he had no issue at all with leaks before when it was against Clinton/DNC. Oi.... I swear, I think part of his appeal is people know he's full of sh*t and lying, but he's so blatant with it, he tries so little to hide it,  I think some find it "refreshing"

No doubt Mick, the 40+% of eligible voters, those who voted to be edgy/on overly idealistic lines, (and the poor blue collar workers who probably meant well honestly) will all be kicking thesmelves for a while. I also hope that is one of many lessons to come from this: people take their right to vote more seriously.

That's the thing now, I haven't actually seen Trump voters backtracking/openly regretting their pick anywhere. I mean, they're probably out there somewhere, but, like I said, most actually wanted to punish the government, shake things up vaguely in their direction as a firm display of power, and that's still what they're getting. Bitter, fiery working class who despise the smug suburban/coastal middle class and shall willingly refuse to cooperate with them or come to terms with their reign, whatever it implies.
You would very likely be correct to say that if more people had cared to go out and vote, Trump would have never come close to winning, but having 50 million people in your country going out of their way to get Donald f**king Trump elected there's already something terribly wrong with the type of 'political involvement' they're dealing in. Like people said months ago, it's almost like a game show, and so many getting newly involved basically thought 'why didn't I look into politics before, it's very entertaining and fun!'
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 01:15
^ Oh his whole "fake news/lying media" thing is probably going over very well.   The irony is that he's largely correct.   But if he screws up big time, it's gonna be yooj .

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 02:35
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ You know Americans; gotta have change... CHANGE!   But people forget change can be as destructive as helpful.

oh, they got change. threw a few hundred bucks away and got some change back

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 434>