I think everyone should watch this:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 06:46
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

My first critisism of Biden. His pullout of the Keystone Pipeline. It was already in the works at a cost of millions. Discuss.

Biden is totally right to pull out of it. It would be an ecological disaster and do irreparable damage to the environment. Going for fossil energy resources is the path of yesterday; tomorrow's path has to be different.
My own feeling is that fracking is more detrimental to the environment with the fracked land being damaged forever along with all the water underneath it that midwesterners drink from. Pipelines have been around for a hundred years and are the least damaging environmentally, imo.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 07:11

My first critisism of Biden. His pullout of the Keystone Pipeline. It was already in the works at a cost of millions. Discuss.

Biden is totally right to pull out of it. It would be an ecological disaster and do irreparable damage to the environment. Going for fossil energy resources is the path of yesterday; tomorrow's path has to be different.
My own feeling is that fracking is more detrimental to the environment with the fracked land being damaged forever along with all the water underneath it that midwesterners drink from. Pipelines have been around for a hundred years and are the least damaging environmentally, imo.

Apparently you missed the second part of my remark.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 07:48

Not at all. Biden stopped the wrong fossil fuel project. And the idea that all fossil fuels can be replaced is not realistic.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 08:02

Not at all. Biden stopped the wrong fossil fuel project. And the idea that all fossil fuels can be replaced is not realistic.

Indeed.  And in the medium term at least, you're going to need a lot of fossil fuel to build 'green' energy sources anyway. 

I think this so far comes off like plastering a message of unity over the usual vindictive reversal of the previous Prez's decisions. Not EVERYTHING Trump did was wrong.  It will be interesting now to see how Biden plays China.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 08:08

The idea better become realistic soon, because according to scientific studies the natural resources of oil and gas will not last longer than fifty years. Had the same money that was put into fossil fuel production been put into the production of renewable energy we would already be at a point where fossil fuels could be completely replaced. But the politicians rather filled their pockets with money from oil magnates.

Edited by BaldFriede - January 23 2021 at 08:10

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 08:11
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Indeed.  And in the medium term at least, you're going to need a lot of fossil fuel to build 'green' energy sources anyway. 

I think this so far comes off like plastering a message of unity over the usual vindictive reversal of the previous Prez's decisions. Not EVERYTHING Trump did was wrong.  It will be interesting now to see how Biden plays China.
Indeed. But I don't think he can go back to the Obama era stance on China. Too much has changed since then. But as you said, we'll have to see what he does.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 08:13

The idea better become realistic soon, because according to scientific studies the natural resources of oil and gas will not last longer than fifty years. Had the same money that was put into fossil fuel production been put into the production of renewable energy we would already be at a point where fossil fuels could be completely replaced. But the politicians rather filled their pockets with money from oil magnates.

Yes, that's why I said that getting rid of all fossil fuels was not realistic. Too much money involved in both business and politcs.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 08:21

Yes, that's why I said that getting rid of all fossil fuels was not realistic. Too much money involved in both business and politcs.

That money won't help them fifty years in the future. Fortunately I will most likely no longer be around at that time. The Capitol riot of Jan 6th will be a storm in a teacup compared to the riots that will occur when mankind finally realizes "Oops, we've have run out of energy".

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 08:25

That money won't help them fifty years in the future. Fortunately I will most likely no longer be around at that time. The Capitol riot of Jan 6th will be a storm in a teacup compared to the riots that will occur when mankind finally realizes "Oops, we've have run out of energy".
Not being around in 50 years is the main reason so little is done. These people don't care about the future for the simple fact that they will not be here. Very sad but true, I'm afraid.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 08:40
 Steve, that last post is absolutely spot on the money. Short termism is the bane of most political decisions inflicted upon us, and it is also, of course, the most human trait they have. Most people can’t think beyond next week, let alone 50 years time. That takes a true visionary, and they are, alas, in very short supply.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 08:49
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Steve, that last post is absolutely spot on the money. Short termism is the bane of most political decisions inflicted upon us, and it is also, of course, the most human trait they have. Most people can’t think beyond next week, let alone 50 years time. That takes a true visionary, and they are, alas, in very short supply.

Sadly true indeed. Perhaps there should be an aptitude test for anyone who wants to be a politician. Anyone who fails at it would automatically be disqualified from ever taking any political office.

Edited by BaldFriede - January 23 2021 at 08:50

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 08:49
Absolutely Laz. The only thing policians look forward to is the date of their next election.

Edited by SteveG - January 23 2021 at 08:50
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 08:53
I think you spelt 'erection' wrong.

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 08:56
^ The "problem" you're mentioning about is directly related to politics being "occupations" where people are doing their jobs. And people always strive for keeping their place in this regard, normally; as any person who doesn't like to lose his/her job.

My solution is that being a politician should be like a "2nd job"; thus they'll not that much fear of losing their only one. Plus, being a politician obviously doesn't call for that much time and effort. You can easily "rule", spending 2-3 days a week.

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 23 2021 at 08:57
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 09:04
Why is it that people like me with no children care so much about the environmental catastrophe while those family values people who have children only care about the here and now.  Discuss  Shocked
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 09:06

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Sadly true indeed. Perhaps there should be an aptitude test for anyone who wants to be a politician. Anyone who fails at it would automatically be disqualified from ever taking any political office.

Well, most people would argue that there is an aptitude test for politicians. They are called elections, but I do have some sympathy with what you are saying.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 09:10

Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

^ The "problem" you're mentioning about is directly related to politics being "occupations" where people are doing their jobs. And people always strive for keeping their place in this regard, normally; as any person who doesn't like to lose his/her job.

My solution is that being a politician should be like a "2nd job"; thus they'll not that much fear of losing their only one. Plus, being a politician obviously doesn't call for that much time and effort. You can easily "rule", spending 2-3 days a week.

I am afraid that I disagree with your last sentence vehemently. You see, there is one thing that people across the western world absolutely misunderstand about modern government.

Over the past six decades, after the post-war period, government has become more and more centralised. Power has been stripped from local municipalities, and placed in the hands of the executive.

Given the fact that you are ruling entire countries, it is most certainly not possible to do it in 2-3 days per week. If only.......we might then be spared some of the shocking calamities inflicted upon us.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 09:12
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Why is it that people like me with no children care so much about the environmental catastrophe while those family values people who have children only care about the here and now.  Discuss  Shocked
The simple answer Ken is that people with children are concerned with keeping food on the table at the moment. Big families cost big money and I think that keeps big family parents firmly focused on the here and now. Also, diching the Keystone Pipeline also ditches jobs. Something we don't need right now. Or ever.

Edited by SteveG - January 23 2021 at 12:14
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 09:15
@lazland

^ The paperwork, devising poliltical moves and stuff sure demand some serious work, but I was talking about the polilticians that are like the "front men" of the agendas. I firmly believe that they don't have to work that much. We are always seeing Erdoğan in Turkey. Most/some are "addicted" to it, taking either pleasure or pain of his, like, ever presence. Really, nobody actually "needs" that.

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 23 2021 at 09:16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 384385386387388 434>