FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 434>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 04:06
@micky: #metoo will save us. Keep the faith. Smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 07:53
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

South Dakota v. Wayfair

any Americans paying attention (well most aren't obviously) to that ruling earlier this year should be afraid.. very afraid.. for the very pretext of being strict constitutionists went by the wayside.  Now they are the very judicial activiists.. they. .and their supports claim to be so against. Yet instead of the court being activist for YOUR rights as the good old days.. now they are out to protect business at your expense.. and be damned what the Constitution says. Not a matter of interpration.. just a flat out ignoring of what it DID say.

What a nonsense… the big business was hurt by this ruling and was adamantly opposed to it. It was the states who benefited from it. The states whom you probably support in their efforts to collect as much taxes as possible and squander the money in their profligate ways. And btw the Marketplace Fairness Act was sponsored overwhelmingly by Democrats.

On top of that, you complain about the supreme court using the Commerce Clause in this case while being delighted with the liberal justices trying to use the same device to uphold the ACA – this unconstitutional piece of legislation saved by the conservative Roberts who called it Tax – since the Obama administration insisted it wasn’t a tax and employed the Commerce Clause instead. Was it alright with you as “the very pretext of being strict constitutionists went by the wayside” then?

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 09:22
Love him or hate him...Trump keeps his promises.   I find it difficult to hate Trump for lowering my taxes, fantastic economy, ongoing denuclearization of North Korea, and No New Wars.    Folks who hate Trump, hate him for his rhetoric, personality, keeping promises,  as they parrot the MSM's 94% negative coverage of the President.  

What puzzles me about Trump haters?   Why don't they attack substantial factual issues where Trump fails? For example-

Trump seems to ignore Saudi's slaughter of Yemen's people.  Could it be because the USA sells billions of dollars of weapons to Saudi Arabia.  Could it be because Trump wants the Saudi's to pump more oil in order
to keep the price of oil low?     Will Trump delve into the disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi?
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 10:25
I don't see why he should. After all, Khashoggi wasn't with Fox News.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 10:39
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

I don't see why he should. After all, Khashoggi wasn't with Fox News.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/majority-of-fox-news-trump-coverage-has-been-negative-according-to-harvard-media-study/  Wink
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 10:49
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Love him or hate him...Trump keeps his promises.   I find it difficult to hate Trump for lowering my taxes, fantastic economy, ongoing denuclearization of North Korea, and No New Wars.    Folks who hate Trump, hate him for his rhetoric, personality, keeping promises,  as they parrot the MSM's 94% negative coverage...
Trump has some good attributes, no doubt, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. I feel that the jury is still out on Trump's good points such as the final results of the tariff/trade war, which will take time before we know if it works, and the economy that's starting to tank with the Dow plummeting. And Lil' Kim hasn't showed his hand yet. Is he assembling nukes while writing love letters to Trump? Like I said, it might all be good but it's too early to tell.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 13:34

Love him or hate him...Trump keeps his promises.   I find it difficult to hate Trump for lowering my taxes, fantastic economy, ongoing denuclearization of North Korea, and No New Wars.    Folks who hate Trump, hate him for his rhetoric, personality, keeping promises,  as they parrot the MSM's 94% negative coverage of the President.  
What puzzles me about Trump haters?   Why don't they attack substantial factual issues where Trump fails?
I'm afraid I agree with most of this.   Facts are facts.   I would even add that his demeanor has improved, less nervous and affected, more relaxed and confident.

He could quite easily win in 2020, regardless of all the backlash and scandal.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 14:18
^ Woodward's book Fear is a great eye opener into the lesser seen Trump, and lays out all of his virtues and vices. He absolutely stays the course. His cabinet is a horror show but that seems to be due more to his having no experience in politics as opposed to picking the wrong people. And yes, everyone wishes that he'd stop tweeting, but he just doesn't care.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 14:31
^ He's not a thinker, he "sticks to his instincts".

I'd like to check the Woodward out, sounds like fascinating reading.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 14:37
It is fascinating. Especially all the intel that Trump is involved with (along with Jared Kushner!). Just don't expect to be shocked by anything at this point.
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 14:41

What puzzles me about Trump haters?   Why don't they attack substantial factual issues where Trump fails? For example-

Trump seems to ignore Saudi's slaughter of Yemen's people.  Could it be because the USA sells billions of dollars of weapons to Saudi Arabia.  Could it be because Trump wants the Saudi's to pump more oil in order
to keep the price of oil low?     Will Trump delve into the disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi?
The tariff war is risky. Unless he gets more countries behind him, the Chinese will manipulate sales, find partners. Steel tariffs are totally stupid and will lead to loss of jobs. The US does not make all grades of steel, such as high nickel. The Europeans do, and machinery makers here are now paying the tariff.

The economy is largely not the president's doing. But reckless spending (tax cuts) will lead to mammoth debt. Has already. Obama needed the debt to bail out of mess Bush left. He could have let a lot of banks fail, that would have been OK. Now we subsidized them. Automakers needed the bail. So we got debt.

US is built on immigration and Trump has put a stop to growth when we can't hire all the techical people we need. There are lots of industry/engineering jobs that need college degrees but there is a shortage of Americans. Americans want to be doctors lawyers and businessmen, not chemical engineers. Those come from India. Some are Muslims. Etc etc. 

Trump has done very little, just shuffled things around. Alienating Europe, a huge market, is a stupid thing.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 15:33
There are plenty of things very wrong about trump, but I will start with just one, his complete trust in vladimir putin. This is not only extremely ignorant but also very dangerous for the entire world.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 15:57
Originally posted by Tero1 Tero1 wrote:

to keep the price of oil low?     Will Trump delve into the disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi?
The tariff war is risky. Unless he gets more countries behind him, the Chinese will manipulate sales, find partners. Steel tariffs are totally stupid and will lead to loss of jobs. The US does not make all grades of steel, such as high nickel. The Europeans do, and machinery makers here are now paying the tariff.

The economy is largely not the president's doing. But reckless spending (tax cuts) will lead to mammoth debt. Has already. Obama needed the debt to bail out of mess Bush left. He could have let a lot of banks fail, that would have been OK. Now we subsidized them. Automakers needed the bail. So we got debt.

US is built on immigration and Trump has put a stop to growth when we can't hire all the techical people we need. There are lots of industry/engineering jobs that need college degrees but there is a shortage of Americans. Americans want to be doctors lawyers and businessmen, not chemical engineers. Those come from India. Some are Muslims. Etc etc. 

Trump has done very little, just shuffled things around. Alienating Europe, a huge market, is a stupid thing.

Tariff War?    Underreported by MSM, the EU caved to Trump's tariff's in July and signed a new trade deal.  Recently Mexico and Canada capitulated and signed a deal.  10 days ago American markets hit all time highs.  Meanwhile, China's market crashed and currently hovers at 2014 levels. 

Before the 2016 elections, most pundits and media predicted the stock market, job market, and economy would tank under Trump.  However the Black and Hispanic unemployment rate is at record all time lows.  And the GNP is at 4.2 and climbing.  May hit 5.0% by end of year. 

Debt?  Since Trump's inauguration, the National dept. has climbed 1.65 Trillion dollars.  During the same amount of time during Obama's presidency, the National dept. climbed 2.99 Trillion dollars.   Wink  And doesn't account for inflation...if you get my meaning.

Obamas National Debt from Inauguration till Oct 11, 2010-
https://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/debt/search?startMonth=01&startDay=20&startYear=2009&endMonth=10&endDay=12&endYear=2010

Edited by omphaloskepsis - October 12 2018 at 16:06
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 16:10
I explained Obama’s debt. It was Bush war and disaster.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 16:35

I explained Obama’s debt. It was Bush war and disaster.

I hated GW Bush. My husband partially disagrees with you.   Hubby is an economist and has traded stocks for a living for 20 years.  He said, "just because you say Obama's debt was due to war and disaster doesn't make it so.   Please provide detailed stats to back up your hypothesis." 

My take on War?   Clinton, GW Bush, and Obama pushed America into multiple wars.   So far, Trump hasn't started a new war.  So I can see how PEACE would minimize debt.  However, under Trump ISIS was defeated.  When was the last time you heard about ISIS in the news?  And Trump is mediating PEACE with North Korea.    In your lifetime, has the relationship with North Korea ever been better?

I hope Trump goes further and minimizes USA troops around the world.  For example- We don't need so many troops in Germany and Japan.  Plus we should charge Germany and Japan for their national defense, since both countries economies can afford it.   Perhaps Trump will begin to charge other countries for their National defense?  Wink

Edited by omphaloskepsis - October 12 2018 at 16:36
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 16:35
Business insider:
Then again maybe it won't work. Gas prices are going up all over the country, and that tends to sour voters on incumbents, according to research from Dartmouth University. Nothing has been done about drug pricing, another Trump promise to his base.

Either way, what Trump's preference for big business means is that our economy will see more of the same (plus a tax cut). Corporations will continue to get away with abusive behavior. The gap between rich and poor will continue to widen, putting a drag on domestic economic growth. China will continue to advance its domestic economy by flouting the rules of global trade at the expense of other nations.
https://www.businessinsider.com/there-are-no-in-winners-trumps-economy-2018-5
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 16:39

Business insider:
Then again maybe it won't work. Gas prices are going up all over the country, and that tends to sour voters on incumbents, according to research from Dartmouth University. Nothing has been done about drug pricing, another Trump promise to his base.

Either way, what Trump's preference for big business means is that our economy will see more of the same (plus a tax cut). Corporations will continue to get away with abusive behavior. The gap between rich and poor will continue to widen, putting a drag on domestic economic growth. China will continue to advance its domestic economy by flouting the rules of global trade at the expense of other nations.
https://www.businessinsider.com/there-are-no-in-winners-trumps-economy-2018-5

Trump lowered my families taxes a few thousand a year.  I predict gas prices have hit their highs and will drop into the midterms.  Want to bet on gas prices?  

China?  I agree with you when you say, " China will continue to advance its domestic economy by flouting the rules of global trade at the expense of other nations."     Will they be able to get away with it against Trump?  The good news?  Trump will slow the Chinese down.   Bad News?  Chinese patiently plan hundreds of years into the future.

Drug Prices?  https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-signs-bills-lifting-pharmacist-gag-orders-drug-prices-n918721

Edited by omphaloskepsis - October 12 2018 at 17:00
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 07:17
ahhh... Trump and the economy... give him credit for not f**king up (yet) what he inherited.. which was a 7 year upswing after Obama's policies took us out of the 2008 Bush economic meltdown..

however I care as much about economics as the next guy.. which is little...  most of the time it and the factors which take it up and down go beyond a President.  Obama saved it, Trump might ruin it with the trade war. However as noted many MANY times.. most people don't vote economics.. which is why Trump is still sucking in approval numbers.

I read a great article on Politico this week about the coming catacyclism the Republican Party is about to suffer with regards to women voters but inside that artcile was a spot on comment and thought that cuts to the heart of why a great economy is not saving Trump nor the Repubicans in Congress.

That brings us to another reason these women are disillusioned: Under Trump, they say, many Republicans are peddling intolerance and exclusion. “It’s become normal to be a racist and a bigot, and those are not normal things,” said Jennifer Hackel Thrift, 43, a corporate headhunter in Austin, Texas. She had never voted for a Democrat until 2016—and now compares Fox News to Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels. When others in her family praise Trump’s handling of the economy, her answer is, “At what price? … We no longer have values as a country—except for ‘me first,’ ‘white is right.’ And that’s not right.”
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 07:29
There is only one Trump cabinet member that believes that the Trump tariffs will work. Not Steve Mannuchin or any of the other Goldman Sachs cronies in the cabinet. It is an unknown quantity and quite risky. Only time will tell (1-2 years) before we know if Trump is right.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 07:39
yeah.. if wrong the next Presient will clean it up. Something.. Clinton.. Obama. Democrats are used to doing after the repeated failed Republican attempts at supply side economics.

and if right.. poetic justice that they would take the credit as Trump has for Obama's policies...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 434>