Topic ClosedWhat a shame for my country

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What a shame for my country
    Posted: February 11 2017 at 19:55
Yesterday the WANTED posters appeared, for the former President Alejandro Toledo:

Resultado de imagen para Toledo buscado carteles
http://www.andina.com.pe/Ingles/noticia-former-president-toledo-wanted-by-peruvian-justice-653345.aspx

The reward is a joke, 100,000 soles (3.30 dollars for sol), but probably INTERPOL will capture him.

We now have a former President in jail (Fujimori) for worst crimes (Including participation in crimes against Human Rights) and another one wanted for Influence peddling and Money Laundry.

He's still innocent, because he hasn't been convicted, but he seems to be out of the country.

What's next?

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 11 2017 at 20:04

zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 20:00
Power attracts the corruptible.  Sad but true.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 20:43
Not a shame, Iván. Au contraire, it's a fine example.

How many countries jailed their presidents, ministers or chancellors due to bribes or corruption? Very few and even some 'first world countries' did not have the courage to arrest or prosecute a lot of them.

Anyway, for the Odebrecht affair I'd take it cum grano salis

Guigo

~~~~~~
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 21:29
My president imposed a travel ban that is completely aimed at members of one religion.

My president's top advisor is a white-supremacist.

My president started deportation measures that will cause families to break apart.

Sorry but I'd be glad if we had your reasons to be ashamed.

Now, about the notice, it's embarrassing but the way corruption is in some countries in South America (including my country of origin) I think it nice to see the face of corruption displayed like a common criminal.

Edited by The T - February 11 2017 at 21:32
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2017 at 23:11
At least when faced with corruption charges they didn't try to legalize it like the fine chaps over in Romania. :P
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 03:33
"Is your country plagued by corruption? Do your politicians take bribes? Are the people protesting about it? No problem!

Take Legalize! Legalize will make corruption lawful, cover up the bribes and take the sting out of the protests.
Buy Legalize today!

Also available as comfortable household package".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 04:25
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

Power attracts the corruptible.  Sad but true.

This is the answer
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 05:12
^ The greed for power.

The greed for power has turned out inherent to the Government/politics/bureaucracy condition, and it mostly attracts people with control issues. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power.
But, with a weak state, corporations are the powerhouses for pathological personalities. Hence pivate power is accountable to a much smaller constituency of shareholders.

Edited by Tillerman88 - February 12 2017 at 05:12
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 10:45
Being his wife Jewish and his mother in law is a war survivor, the prosecutor was afraid he would go to Israel and be protected by the laws to protect war survivors and family.

Yesterday Israel answered

JERUSALEM, Feb 12 (Reuters) - Israel said on Sunday it would not allow in former Peruvian president Alejandro Toledo, who is wanted in connection with a corruption probe, before his affairs were settled in Peru.

Peru had been informed by U.S. authorities on Saturday that they were not planning to keep Toledo from boarding a flight to Israel from California that was scheduled to land in Tel Aviv on Sunday.

"Former Peru President Toledo will be allowed into Israel only when his matters are settled in Peru," a Foreign Ministry spokesman said, without elaborating.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-4217300/Israel-says-not-allow-former-Peru-president-Toledo-enter.html#ixzz4YUfnMaqp 

Gladly Israel acted better than USA.

And much better than the FAO that gave a job as Director of the agency’s Liaison Office in Geneva with immunity to the wife of former President Humala who is under prosecutor's accusation for several charges.

The problem with Toledo is that the prosecutor has been granted no fine, so Toledo will end in prison for 18 months even before the trial.

Prosecutors in Peru allege Toledo took $20 million in bribes from Brazilian construction conglomerate Odebrecht and a judge ruled that he must be jailed for up to 18 months while charges against him are prepared.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-4217300/Israel-says-not-allow-former-Peru-president-Toledo-enter.html#ixzz4YUhK7STX 

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 12 2017 at 11:39

Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 11:12
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

What's next?

You could have another Fujimori as president (the daughter). Fortunately, you've got a Pole instead. Wink

BTW Ivan, you know what? Before I ever saw a photo of you I imagined you looked more like Toledo (the Inca type). Smile
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 11:18
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

What's next?

You could have another Fujimori as president (the daughter). Fortunately, you've got a Pole instead. Wink

BTW Ivan, you know what? Before I ever saw a photo of you I imagined you looked more like Toledo (the Inca type). Smile

No, in the coast there's a good percentage of people with almost 100% of Hispanic inheritance and for that reason light skin, plus my mother is 50% Italian (Even when there are rumours of 25% Italian and 25% German, because  my Great Grandmother had her son in her advanced age, only after a Hessian General Decker rented a room  in her house for a year, escaping from the war) Wink  plus  50% Scottish born in Peru, 

My father was a mix of every race, from native Peruvian 12.5%, British 25%, Spanish 25% and  Peruvian Creole (Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, native peruvian, etc inheritance) 12.5%

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 12 2017 at 11:36

Post Reply Post Reply