Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg elitists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 07:13
Where's the mellotron for feck's sake?

Ahhh...well then it's not really prawk now is it?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 08:08
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

That kid in your avatar is a prog elitist, I can see it developing already........poor kid, the horror!
LOL

More crotales please.....
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 08:45
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I just started a thread about what passes for prog these days. I think some people are more elitist than others. Some people don't consider Rush or Pink Floyd to be prog. I've heard people say the Moody Blues and Kansas aren't prog either. I suppose everyone has their own definition. I'm against musical elitism(or really any kind for that matter). If they think Pink Floyd is entry level I wonder what they think of punk rock. I bet some of them like it (those hypocrites). It makes no sense. Not sure if every musician is equal but at some point it becomes silly to try to say who's better or who's a virtuoso and who isn't etc. 
Exactly my thoughts. Thank you.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 09:05
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

That kid in your avatar is a prog elitist, I can see it developing already........poor kid, the horror!
LOL

He likes his prague to be rough, unfiltered and raucous...preferably with bassoons and silver spoons.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 10:00

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

LOL

He likes his prague to be rough, unfiltered and raucous...preferably with bassoons and silver spoons.

You should Czech that while he's still young.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 16:04
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

I can't say I've ever understood the stigma surrounding complexity, different types of music with different intentions use different materials 

There's no stigma.

If I didn't like complexity I would listened disco instead of Prog.

But complexity needs a logic, a reason, not just to prove you can do what nobody can or dare.

How do you know that something doesn't have logic and you just don't get it? I mean seriously. Regarding progressive rock it is not unfair to call Pink Floyd an entry level position. It is highly accessible from a musical standpoint and one of the most popular bands ever. 

I would argue that most highly complex prog is not complex for complexity's sake but rather structurally engineered for those who absolutely love a challenge in their music and wish to treat it as a puzzle that needs to be solved. Some of the most complex albums i didn't get for several listens finally made sense after an effort. So in effect i would call most music lovers lazy in that they don't want to work to understand something. They seek instant gratification.

Of course there is absoutely nothing wrong with anyone liking any type of music. I personally love the simplicity of disco and pop but i also crave the challenge of the most complex music there is to be heard. Call me eclectic but band's like Gentle Giant are absolutely brilliant.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Merrimack Mike View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 16:09
I think part of the problem is that people mix up technical virtuosity and complexity.  Just because a piece of music is difficult to play doesn't mean it's musically complex (Exhibit A: Eddie Van Halen's Erruption).  On the other side, we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that a piece of music that sounds easy to play lacks complexity. 
(What is or is not easy to play is another argument altogether.)

Some listeners--elitist or not--assume that because Floyd's music develops slowly and contains fewer notes than, say, Yes' music, it must not be complex prog.  When I listen to DSOTM from start to finish,  I'm always blown away by the way the melodies, harmonies, solos and special effects interlock to form an extended musical (and social and philosophical) statement.   All that seems pretty complex to me.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 16:24
Originally posted by Merrimack Mike Merrimack Mike wrote:

I think part of the problem is that people mix up technical virtuosity and complexity.  Just because a piece of music is difficult to play doesn't mean it's musically complex (Exhibit A: Eddie Van Halen's Erruption).  On the other side, we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that a piece of music that sounds easy to play lacks complexity.  
(What is or is not easy to play is another argument altogether.)

Some listeners--elitist or not--assume that because Floyd's music develops slowly and contains fewer notes than, say, Yes' music, it must not be complex prog.  When I listen to DSOTM from start to finish,  I'm always blown away by the way the melodies, harmonies, solos and special effects interlock to form an extended musical (and social and philosophical) statement.   All that seems pretty complex to me.

Right you are about DSOTM but i think that the point of the argument is that it is claimed to be an entry level prog album. I would say it certainly is because it is accessible and catchy. Of course it is still complex and that is why it is classified as progressive rock and not garage rock. The fact of the matter is that ALL prog music is complex in it's own way but there is no doubt that there is a hierarchial order of complexity that begins somewhere around the easy going space rock of Pink Floyd or Porcupine Tree and goes all the way up to crazy weirdness such as Gentle Giant, Gorguts or Gnidrolog's first album.

What drives me crazy about these types of arguments is that there seems to be a competitive nature for some of those who like more complex music to demean those who don't. I see a lot of dissing the neo-prog crowd out there by those who like crazy extreme metal and vice versa. I'm lucky for whatever reason in that i like everything. I love the cheesy ballads of Barry Manilow, the Indian ragas of Ravi Shankar, the gansta rap of 2 Pac and also equally lucky that i love every strain of prog. I simply see no reason for anyone to get all hoity toity about music. If you don't understand the emotional context of neo-prog then you haven't spent the time to learn how to appreciate it. Same goes with crazy complexity of Gentle Giant, VDGG or whoever. All i can say is that some need to get off their high horse and just listen instead of blather on about something they don't understand.

doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 16:26
Fragile egos make frightened choices.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 17:31
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Guys, let's face it... there actually is some kind of an objective 'musical merit hierarchy' and Pink Floyd is nowhere near the top. Now let me explain myself before jumping at me. I get as well as anybody else that music is a subjective thing, but I would argue that it is not entirely subjective. Call me elitist if you want but I sincerely believe it is possible to some extent to classify different musical acts in terms of musical richness. I'm not speaking about "complexity" but about fluid musical development and innovation. Putting aside subjective biases, there is no way on Earth I could put bands like, say King Crimson and Asia on the same level. I think all of you are also able to objectively say that some bands deserve more praise than others. 

That being said, I'm far from meaning that Pink Floyd is inferior and that it should not be enjoyed as much as other bands. Hell, I listen to some stuff that I consider to be of low musical value but I can still get emotions out of it. I'm certainly among the rare ones on this forum who likes people like Elton John, the Ramones (and punk rock in general), Cage the ElephantEmbarrassed, Fleetwood Mac and many others.

There really isn't.  What you are doing again is substituting complexity for merit (though you claim otherwise) and also attaching a higher value to pure musical innovation than other aspects (like lyrics or production, where DSOTM was far reaching).  But it's the final product that listeners listen to.  I have said this before but it's not Floyd's fault if they understood better than their prog peers how to make a great studio album.  The great prog rock bands would probably leave Floyd in the dust live but making a point while still saying concise was not their strong suit.  How many dark compositions have Yes come up with over an entire career ?  Now consider that Floyd cover the gamut of emotions, whether it's the cynicism of Money, the anger of Us and Them or the fear and helplessness of Great Gig in the Sky.  If it was so easy, why couldn't nobody else think of it in 1973? 
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 17:42
Objectivity simply doesn't exist, there are only two types of objectivity if you undersdtand this: 

Scientific = If you sit on this table it WILL break because you are too heavy for the table to support your weight: The table WILL break

and Religious dogma = having sex outside of marriage is a sin

to put as simple as possible, it's dogmatic to say that anything is objective in art because art at it's very core does not follow that logic and is not a religious belief. Every wonder why people always have and always will disagree over the merits of a piece of music? 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 17:54
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Guys, let's face it... there actually is some kind of an objective 'musical merit hierarchy' and Pink Floyd is nowhere near the top. Now let me explain myself before jumping at me. I get as well as anybody else that music is a subjective thing, but I would argue that it is not entirely subjective. Call me elitist if you want but I sincerely believe it is possible to some extent to classify different musical acts in terms of musical richness. I'm not speaking about "complexity" but about fluid musical development and innovation. Putting aside subjective biases, there is no way on Earth I could put bands like, say King Crimson and Asia on the same level. I think all of you are also able to objectively say that some bands deserve more praise than others. 

That being said, I'm far from meaning that Pink Floyd is inferior and that it should not be enjoyed as much as other bands. Hell, I listen to some stuff that I consider to be of low musical value but I can still get emotions out of it. I'm certainly among the rare ones on this forum who likes people like Elton John, the Ramones (and punk rock in general), Cage the ElephantEmbarrassed, Fleetwood Mac and many others.

There really isn't.  What you are doing again is substituting complexity for merit (though you claim otherwise) and also attaching a higher value to pure musical innovation than other aspects (like lyrics or production, where DSOTM was far reaching).  But it's the final product that listeners listen to.  I have said this before but it's not Floyd's fault if they understood better than their prog peers how to make a great studio album.  The great prog rock bands would probably leave Floyd in the dust live but making a point while still saying concise was not their strong suit.  How many dark compositions have Yes come up with over an entire career ?  Now consider that Floyd cover the gamut of emotions, whether it's the cynicism of Money, the anger of Us and Them or the fear and helplessness of Great Gig in the Sky.  If it was so easy, why couldn't nobody else think of it in 1973? 

So are you saying that because Pink Floyd had its pulse on what the masses could tolerate in the field of music that it is more sophisticated than music that only musicians could understand? I don't think you understand that those of us who are arguing against a hierarchy of prog do not dislike Pink Floyd. They are one of my favorite bands of all time just like all of you. However it is important to remember that there is music above and beyond the call of duty and just because you struck a chord with the masses (mostly non-musicians) doesn't mean your music is the most complex. Pink Floyd will always rule for what they accomplished but can you honestly say they are the most complex music you can think of?

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 19:05
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

So are you saying that because Pink Floyd had its pulse on what the masses could tolerate in the field of music that it is more sophisticated than music that only musicians could understand? I don't think you understand that those of us who are arguing against a hierarchy of prog do not dislike Pink Floyd. They are one of my favorite bands of all time just like all of you. However it is important to remember that there is music above and beyond the call of duty and just because you struck a chord with the masses (mostly non-musicians) doesn't mean your music is the most complex. Pink Floyd will always rule for what they accomplished but can you honestly say they are the most complex music you can think of?

I am simply saying complexity is not and cannot be the only thing that decides this hierarchy. This is not the case even in classical or jazz music, so why would it be that way in prog? The most acclaimed jazz musicians aren't necessarily the ones who made the most complex jazz.  Rather, they tend to be the most influential and well loved ones.  Floyd ticks both those boxes.  Maybe within prog, they aren't as influential as KC or Yes but overall their influence is undeniable. Heck, if complexity was what decided the hierarchy within prog, then Magma or Gentle Giant would be much more highly regarded than Genesis and that is not the case.  
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 19:10
^ Be careful. You're mixing popularity with prestige there.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 19:14

lol, no, I am not.  And I don't need to be 'careful' because I have seen this exact same discussion hundreds of times on this forum. LOL  Pray, where is the proof that Gentle Giant commands more prestige than Floyd, except in the heads of a few prog elitists?  Mind you, I love Gentle Giant, maybe about the same as Floyd but these discussions are funny. If you call it objective, then it has to be something demonstrable and not just your opinion. A musician's opinion of it may have more worth than a total newb to prog but that's about it and it's still just an opinion since musicians are not immune to bias either.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 19:18
I don't mean to pass off as rude, but you must really mindlessly listen to music if you truly believe that Gentle Giant and Floyd stand on the same level composition-wise. 

Edited by Larkstongue41 - February 16 2017 at 19:20
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 19:33

lol, no, I am not.  And I don't need to be 'careful' because I have seen this exact same discussion hundreds of times on this forum. LOL  Pray, where is the proof that Gentle Giant commands more prestige than Floyd, except in the heads of a few prog elitists?  Mind you, I love Gentle Giant, maybe about the same as Floyd but these discussions are funny. If you call it objective, then it has to be something demonstrable and not just your opinion. A musician's opinion of it may have more worth than a total newb to prog but that's about it and it's still just an opinion since musicians are not immune to bias either.

OK, then. What is your explicit definition of "complexity?" Also site the hundreds of examples discussed on this site. I'm failing to locate them all. What in the world does the term "prestige" have to do with complexity?

Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 19:37
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

[QUOTE=rogerthat][QUOTE=Larkstongue41]
OK, then. What is your explicit definition of "complexity?" 

Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 19:40
^ WHAAAAT? Didn't Beyonce just cover that? LOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 19:48
What this boils down to is how many listens does an album take to understand where it is coming from. Pink Floyd is one of the most popular bands of all time because they were able to mix prog, pop and rock elements together in totally unique ways. That was a great thing. I love PF albums that many hate because they weren't accessible enough. DSOTM was brilliant in that it managed to go to the central point where EVERYONE could get it. That's brilliant to be assured but not the height of complexity. If you are having trouble with that term try comparing high school algebra to advanced calculus. Music is a form of mathematics and unfortunately requires the same discipline of graduating from one form to the next. Like i said previously in some sort of way, you really need to go through a series of upgrades in your programming to understand music that is intended for advanced audiences. Let me make this perfectly clear: WE LOVE PINK FLOYD! WE WORSHIP ROGER WATERS! WE LOVE DAVID GILMOUR! ALL OF THEM! That's not what the discussion is about. Elitism is a valid term. It is reserved for unthinkable heights of advancement and despite the elements of jealousy nevertheless exists for those willing to work their friggin arses off to understand. It's the ultimate payoff in music if you have the gonads to go there

Edited by siLLy puPPy - February 16 2017 at 19:51

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>