Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg elitists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 09:27
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^

"Math is a way to describe them. This doesn't mean they *are* math (unless you think that everything is math); and hardly anything of the list of connections given before actually serves as an argument that they are. 
Just like not everything that can be described by language is just language."

YES! I do think EVERYTHING is math. That is the point and the fact that some of us like one type of music over the other is a result of how mathematical our brains are. The fact Beyonce is popular is because most of the general population is deficient in math skills whereas i've never met a prog lover who was highly intelligent. These studies have been conducted many times in many countries and the article i shared is only one of many. Unless you are a scientist or a mathmatician it may be somewhat counterintuitive as to why these things are true but i personally am convinced that they are. Mathematics is simply the language of the universe and everything including music uses that language for construction. 

I am actually a mathematician by training but managed to resist that kind of "universalist mathematism"... Wink Anyway, would you make the same statement about painting and literature (which I think is implied by what you just wrote), or do you see a special connection between mathematics and music?
(Actually I do see some kind of special connection in that conscious use of mathematics and formal structure is much stronger in music than in painting or literature, but I wouldn't say that music in its essence is more mathematical.)
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 09:57
I don't understand why you guys can't just groove to the music without getting all deep and philosophical about it's structure and meaning. It's music man. Now this thread has morphed into a mathematics thread. Progressive rock just happens to be a form of music that I like listening to. I like jazz and classical equally as well. I like Elvis. Yeah Elvis. I don't worry about key, time signature, changes, syncopation, blah blah blah. I really don't understand what the worry is.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 10:03
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

I don't understand why you guys can't just groove to the music without getting all deep and philosophical about it's structure and meaning. It's music man. Now this thread has morphed into a mathematics thread. Progressive rock just happens to be a form of music that I like listening to. I like jazz and classical equally as well. I like Elvis. Yeah Elvis. I don't worry about key, time signature, changes, syncopation, blah blah blah. I really don't understand what the worry is.

If you don't have fun reading the stuff I have fun writing, just don't read it.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 11:10
Whatever.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 12:14

Whatever.

Indeed
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
floyd4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 13:38
Though, with effort, it would be possible to improvise a very complex song, but only if you communicated well with sound.
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 14:44
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

7+9 = Prog
11+5 = Ska Punk
10+6 = Klezmer

16 = is the basic outcome of all music - the way you reach that number determines whether you prefer Kiss over Diamanda Galas. Some stories have been told of certain people that reach 17. Such marvellous personas have gone and left what we mortals know as music and now only listen to the earth's magnetic field, shifts in oak bark and the Peruvian fighting frog's triumphant morse hymn.

Yeah.... and 8+8 = Pop

Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 15:03

I don't understand why you guys can't just groove to the music without getting all deep and philosophical about it's structure and meaning. It's music man. Now this thread has morphed into a mathematics thread.

As humans we all experience music emotionally and intuitively but behind the curtain, maths will always be there 

Edited by Thatfabulousalien - February 19 2017 at 15:04
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 15:36

Different people react to music in different ways, and it is every music lover's right to enjoy it they way he/she prefers.  Even the same listener can enjoy different things in different ways.  I've recently been really enjoying a new box set of the great pub rock/hard rock band Dr. Feelgood, and when I'm listening to them I can state with some confidence that I'm not thinking about math.  I'm getting out my aggressions in a benign way, swinging my arm and endangering the lamps.  Even with the same piece of music, I can listen to it in different ways at different times.  But, for instance, if it has polyrhythms or otherwise complex time signatures, I can't avoid hearing the math because that circuit in my brain kicks in automatically.  Since my mother was a piano teacher, I grew up on music theory and that naturally colors my listening habits, especially with classical and jazz.  Other people find that stuff distracting, and I respect that.  Discussing this stuff is meant to be fun, and I don't think anyone is passing judgement or evangelizing.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 16:29

How do you groove in an online forum?
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 16:52
Whatever. You guys read too much into this prog thing. I'm done. See Ya.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 16:57

It's not prog, it's music as a whole Sleepy
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 17:05
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">^</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">

"Math is a way to describe them. This doesn't mean they *are* math (unless you think that everything is math); and hardly anything of the list of connections given before actually serves as an argument that they are. </span><span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Just like not everything that can be described by language is just language."</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">YES! I do think EVERYTHING is math. That is the point and the fact that some of us like one type of music over the other is a result of how mathematical our brains are. The fact Beyonce is popular is because most of the general population is deficient in math skills whereas i've never met a prog lover who was highly intelligent. These studies have been conducted many times in many countries and the article i shared is only one of many. Unless you are a scientist or a mathmatician it may be somewhat counterintuitive as to why these things are true but i personally am convinced that they are. Mathematics is simply the language of the universe and everything including music uses that language for construction. </span>

I am actually a mathematician by training but managed to resist that kind of "universalist mathematism"... Wink Anyway, would you make the same statement about painting and literature (which I think is implied by what you just wrote), or do you see a special connection between mathematics and music?
(Actually I do see some kind of special connection in that conscious use of mathematics and formal structure is much stronger in music than in painting or literature, but I wouldn't say that music in its essence is more mathematical.)
This is a very interesting point. I do not take that universalist position that everything is math. I argue against it in language as a matter of fact. But I do think there is a basic substrate specifically in music that reduces to math. The research that SillyPuppy refers to showing a link between music appreciation and certain rhythmic patterns seems fairly persuasive (speaking only as someone who has heard about similar stuff in general science news reporting). It doesn't seem enough to simply reject math as a source unless there is something non-mathematically based that one can replace it with (e.g. something in regard to attention or salience that could produce same or similar results). I also think Dean's comments about math with respect to pitch and harmony, as he himself pointed out, deserve a reference here. I can't remember what thread it was. Maybe he remembers.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 17:20

hahhaha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 18:21
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

^

"Math is a way to describe them. This doesn't mean they *are* math (unless you think that everything is math); and hardly anything of the list of connections given before actually serves as an argument that they are. Just like not everything that can be described by language is just language."

YES! I do think EVERYTHING is math. That is the point and the fact that some of us like one type of music over the other is a result of how mathematical our brains are. The fact Beyonce is popular is because most of the general population is deficient in math skills whereas i've never met a prog lover who was highly intelligent. These studies have been conducted many times in many countries and the article i shared is only one of many. Unless you are a scientist or a mathmatician it may be somewhat counterintuitive as to why these things are true but i personally am convinced that they are. Mathematics is simply the language of the universe and everything including music uses that language for construction. 

I am actually a mathematician by training but managed to resist that kind of "universalist mathematism"... Wink Anyway, would you make the same statement about painting and literature (which I think is implied by what you just wrote), or do you see a special connection between mathematics and music?

No i don't think music is especially mathematical as opposed to every other aspect of life. I'm simply arguing that within the topic of "prog elitism" that this thread originates as, that the reason some prog lovers are deemed elitists in the first place is because they have a higher brain function in mathematics whether that be trained or a gift of the universe at birth which, of course, can always be expanded upon. 

The very same is true of visual art. A painting is a series of colors swirled around in different forms, textures and shades of intenisty and has the same mathematical input as audio. Light reflects off of a painting and then it stimulates our rods and cones and retina and we interpret it emotionally in a way that is condusive to our current understanding of those signals.

Same with any linguistical interpretations such as literature, lyrical content within music etc. The physical universe is governed by mathematical interactions. Bioloical beings evolved within this universe. Now if you want to take this to a metaphysical universe to ascertain why exactly our consciousness responds to this preordained equations then that is something that falls into the mysterious ethers of the unknown although studies have taken place in these arenas.

In effect, there is no elitism in prog. There are only brains that have been properly trained to recognize it and those that have not. There are no right or wrong answers only the question of where any given individual exists at a certain point of development at any particular point of space and time.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Merrimack Mike View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 19:08
Although I am not a musician (poet, actually), I have given the concept of complexity in music a lot of thought.  I guess I draw a line of distinction between sonically rich music that rewards close listening and complex music.  Ok, PF's music is not as complex GG's, but they are both sonically rich.  I frequently discover new resonances in PF's music.  For example, I've been listening and re-listening to the beginning of DSOTM and the final vocal crescendo.  I can't identify what's happening in music theory terms, but I do hear an opening problem and a resolution (even if the resolution is a form of blissful craziness Confused).

I think all music that qualifies as prog reward close listening, whether or not the listener and performers are classically trained musicians.

That's my 1 cent (I had a coupon, so I saved the other cent.)
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 19:24
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I also think Dean's comments about math with respect to pitch and harmony, as he himself pointed out, deserve a reference here. I can't remember what thread it was. Maybe he remembers.

They were in Pascal's Composing Microtonal Thread. There's lots of interesting information there about pitches, intervals and the mathematics of music theory.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 19:26
Originally posted by Merrimack Mike Merrimack Mike wrote:

Although I am not a musician (poet, actually), I have given the concept of complexity in music a lot of thought. 

BRAVO FOR THINKING!!!!!

I guess I draw a line of distinction between sonically rich music that rewards close listening and complex music.  Ok, PF's music is not as complex GG's, but they are both sonically rich.  I frequently discover new resonances in PF's music.  For example, I've been listening and re-listening to the beginning of DSOTM and the final vocal crescendo.  I can't identify what's happening in music theory terms, but I do hear an opening problem and a resolution (even if the resolution is a form of blissful craziness Confused). 

YOU ARE SO RIGHT! HOWEVER I HAVE ALWAYS SEEN PINK FLOYD'S MUSIC AS MORE SOPHISTICATED IN THE PRODUCTION LEVEL AS OPPOSED TO COMPOSITION. THAT DOESN"T MAKE IT BETTER OR WORSE, JUST AN OBSERVATION

I think all music that qualifies as prog reward close listening, whether or not the listener and performers are classically trained musicians.

AGREED!

YOU WISE SHOPPER! I WISH I HAD THAT SKILL AND I WOULDN'T BE LIVING IN THE MOST FREEKIN' EXPENSIVE PLACE IN THE UNIVERSE. DOH Confused

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 19:28
Originally posted by Merrimack Mike Merrimack Mike wrote:

Although I am not a musician (poet, actually), I have given the concept of complexity in music a lot of thought.  I guess I draw a line of distinction between sonically rich music that rewards close listening and complex music.  Ok, PF's music is not as complex GG's, but they are both sonically rich.  I frequently discover new resonances in PF's music.  For example, I've been listening and re-listening to the beginning of DSOTM and the final vocal crescendo.  I can't identify what's happening in music theory terms, but I do hear an opening problem and a resolution (even if the resolution is a form of blissful craziness Confused).

Wow, you waited three years to make your first two forum posts! That has to be some sort of record! Clap
Welcome and hope to hear more from you!
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2017 at 19:31

YOU WISE SHOPPER! I WISH I HAD THAT SKILL AND I WOULDN'T BE LIVING IN THE MOST FREEKIN' EXPENSIVE PLACE IN THE UNIVERSE. DOH Confused

You mean PA's 100 Most Prolific Reviewers' List? LOL

Edited by Replayer - February 19 2017 at 19:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>