Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Has the definition of prog changed at some point?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas the definition of prog changed at some point?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 17:01
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

I tend to think my definition of prog is much larger than most people's. I have issues with seeing prog as a genre. Instead I prefer to consider it as an approach towards composing music. Commercially available music is either prog or pop to me. Innovative and truly original music challenging conventional structures is prog while pretty much everything else is pop (excluding traditional music and a few other exceptions). For example, King Crimson and Tangerine Dream are both prog bands although sharing virtually nothing in common. On the other hand, despite being often praised as the two most successful prog acts, Yes and Rush surely have had their pop moments.

As for the evolution of the term over time, I don't think it changed at all apart from the fact that the availability of music has tremendously increased since the 70s. People's definition of prog necessarily relies on the prog music they have heard. My definition of prog was radically different when I listened to Pink Floyd, Genesis and Camel than it is right now. So obviously in the 70s the perception of prog was based on the most popular bands (due to the lack of internet most notably) therefore explaining people's tendency to associate prog with science-fiction themes and flutes, keyboards, etc. 

Well said
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 16:58
Prog was initially a term for music that was not specifically recorded to be a hit single and which showed some combination of either a degree of experimentation, or complexity or a higher standard of technical ability than simple pop.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 16:55
Regionalism plays a huge role as well. I grew up in a city which thought Rush was way too metal for the classic rock radio station.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 16:55
I tend to think my definition of prog is much larger than most people's. I have issues with seeing prog as a genre. Instead I prefer to consider it as an approach towards composing music. Commercially available music is either prog or pop to me. Innovative and truly original music challenging conventional structures is prog while pretty much everything else is pop (excluding traditional music and a few other exceptions). For example, King Crimson and Tangerine Dream are both prog bands although sharing virtually nothing in common. On the other hand, despite being often praised as the two most successful prog acts, Yes and Rush surely have had their pop moments. By the way I really like a lot of pop music; I don't mean to be condescending towards it.

As for the evolution of the term over time, I don't think it changed at all apart from the fact that the availability of music has tremendously increased since the 70s. People's definition of prog necessarily relies on the prog music they have heard. My definition of prog was radically different when I listened to Pink Floyd, Genesis and Camel than it is right now. So obviously in the 70s the perception of prog was based on the most popular bands (due to the lack of internet most notably) therefore explaining people's tendency to associate prog with science-fiction themes and flutes, keyboards, etc. 

Edited by Larkstongue41 - February 15 2017 at 19:15
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 16:27
Capes and dragons are still crucial but yeah I'd say the professional, even the popular, definition of Prog has evolved to mean any rock that is progressive instead of just stuff that reminds us of Yes or Rush.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 16:25
Yeah, after about 1977 it seemed to become a moving target. Its like Jazz. There are bands linked to it by carrying an element like frequent key modulations. Then another band will have elements have the original band that maybe were not considered jazz at all, but are then somehow linked to it by association. 

When it gets right down to it, the concept of prog purity is a bit contradictory. Stylistic transcendence is, after all, one of the tenets of the faith.   
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 16:12
When I say "at some point" it could be five years ago or it could be twenty or thirty. I wasn't really given enough space in the subject line to be more specific. The important thing is how has the definition of prog changed since the seventies, eighties, nineties or whatever. I know some people are still stuck in the past but over all I think what is considered prog these days is a lot wider than what used to be allowed. For example I often see Radiohead, Muse, Phish, Tool, etc etc considered to be prog(and I have no problem with that)as well as tons more bands who are really very song oriented. I know some people have a very stringent definition of prog but I don't and I'm wondering how strict your definition is and also do you think for the most part the general consensus of what is prog has relaxed a bit or does it still have to have all these hard and fast rules(long songs at least ten minutes, lots of time changes, lots of solos and long instrumental passages, capes, unicorns, dragons, fairy dust etc). Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234