Topic ClosedDigital Audio Myths - Listening on a PC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Digital Audio Myths - Listening on a PC
    Posted: September 02 2005 at 06:16

In another thread the question arose whether it is possible to listen to digital music in good quality on a computer.

What do you think?

Edit: Please let's keep amp & speakers out of this discussion - the topic here is PC vs. top-notch CD player, both digitally connected to an amp.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 06:20
Good enough for me to listen to while I'm sitting here typing, for sure!
cobb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 06:24
Certainly can. You need good audio hardware and decent speakers. My system is set up with a hoontech dsp24 card and I have a set of klipsch 2.1 speakers on it. It sounds better than my hifi.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 06:28

I think there are some important factors that influence the listening quality on a PC:

• The amp and speakers, naturally.
  • Connection between PC and amp: analog/digital
  • The format of the audio files: low bitrate mp3, high bitrate mp3, mp3pro, mpc, lossless formats
  • The ripping method: analog, digital, digital with error correction (I'm not talking about interpolation here)
  • The quality of the sound card: CD quality vs. 24bit/96khz.
  • The routing of the signal: merely passing the CD audio through to the outputs vs. applying effects

What I'm getting at is that crappy sounding audio on some PCs doesn't mean that it's IMPOSSIBLE to listen to audio on the PC in good quality.

oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 06:45
pfffff!!!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 06:49
You just loose 80% of the music...but if it's to listen to metal...that's not so important.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 07:06

Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

You just loose 80% of the music...

Please back up such statements with evidence. If such evidence exists, I'm sure the manufacturers of "esoteric" HiFi components present it on their websites ...

but if it's to listen to metal...that's not so important.

Please, no "I hate metal" diversions here, that's ruining the thread.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 07:35
Please, no "I hate metal" diversions here, that's ruining the thread.

Sorry
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 07:39
Put this crappy box:

on such a transparent amp, and it'll reveal how bad it is

Be aware that in real hifi, the smallest details are important. With such a bad source, it cannnot work.
Sorry.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 07:49

Be aware that in real hifi, the smallest details are important. With such a bad source, it cannnot work.
Sorry.

Be aware that in the digital world it doesn't matter if the source is a CD player or a computer, if the bits are identical.

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 07:51
As soon as a signal is encoded to PCM, as long as it stays PCM (and at the same bit depth, frequency etc. etc.) there's no quality loss possible unless it's being transported implausibly long distances. Unless anyone has houses several kilometres across it can always be assumed to be a perfect digital copy. Assuming the data can be read accurately (ie. bit perfect), which is actually easier on a computer based drive since it has more buffering, and easier still when it's actually stored on the hard drive, then the digital output of the soundcard will be identical to the digital input, even on the worst soundcard. As Mike says, the analogue output's another story - the souncard on this laptop I'm using is absolutely terrible.

It's also worth pointing out that when someone concentrates with his eyes, the ears become less sensitive (an example being when people watch TV and turn it up much to the annoyance of others), so when using a computer the nuances of sound will be less noticeable anyway.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 08:00

on such a transparent amp, and it'll reveal how bad it is

Please, don't make this a discussion tube vs. transistor either ... I actually prefer the sound of good tube amps to that of transistor amps. But they also have disadvantages. As noted in one of the documents I posted in the Big digital thread, tube amps actually distort the signal. This added distortion is often referred to a "warm", "analog" or "70's" sound. While pleasant to most people, it is not an accurate playback of the original signal. 

cobb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 08:12
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Edit: Please let's keep amp & speakers out of this discussion - the topic here is PC vs. top-notch CD player, both digitally connected to an amp.

I don't get the point of your thread with this edit. Are you just asking whether you think the pc can act as the player connected to your lounge room hifi, just as well as cd player can? Sure, why not? Isn't this the whole purpose of the new media centre pc's?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 08:18
Originally posted by cobb cobb wrote:

I don't get the point of your thread with this edit. Are you just asking whether you think the pc can act as the player connected to your lounge room hifi, just as well as cd player can? Sure, why not? Isn't this the whole purpose of the new media centre pc's?

Yes - I think that I can rip my entire CD collection to my PC in a lossless format and use Winamp to listen to the songs. Provided that the soundcard is connected to a really good amp & speakers using a digital interface, the music should sound identical compared to playing it on a HiFi CD player, which is connected to the same amp via a digital cable.

oliverstoned disagrees strongly, so I'm interested about other people's opinions about this.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 08:20
"This added distortion is often referred to a "warm", "analog" or "70's" sound. While pleasant to most people, it is not an accurate playback of the original signal."

We are at the heart of the issue.
True that tubes amps have higher distorsions rates on the paper than transistor ones. But this is NOT AT ALL a criteria for PERFORMANCE nad MUSICALITY. A GOOD tube amp like the one up reproduces the highs (the freq part that the human ear is the most sensistive to)with MUCH MORE ACCURACY than any transistor amp. The transistor makes ham raspe with the highs, which means it distors much more than tubes WHEN YOU LISTEN.
ONLY RESULT MATTERS and i don't care about what is written on the paper. Distorsion rate is not the good criteria.
I suppose you have heard about pair and unpair harmonics. Here's the explanation.

With the amp up, well implemented, you can enjoy voices, flutes, violins, trumpets, etc... with an incredible clarity, openess, softness, transparency, precense, natural, MATTER, etc... and NEUTRALITY. A good tube is not colored at all.
On another hand, tube amps are always a liitle "round" in the low and can lack of quickness in the low.
The solution, which is the royal way, is the bi-amplification with a good transistor in the low and a good tube in the highs, and a good preamp (transistor, tube or hybrid, there's no rule).
But that's another story.

So, this statement:
"it is not an accurate playback of the original signal" is untrue, considering a good tube amp like the one up.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 08:38

"This added distortion is often referred to a "warm", "analog" or "70's" sound. While pleasant to most people, it is not an accurate playback of the original signal."

We are at the heart of the issue.

I indeed consider the amp the heart of all sound problems. NOT the digital source.

True that tubes amps have higher distorsions rates on the paper than transistor ones. But this is NOT AT ALL a criteria for PERFORMANCE nad MUSICALITY. A GOOD tube amp like the one up reproduces the highs (the freq part that the human ear is the most sensistive to)with MUCH MORE ACCURACY than any transistor amp. The transistor makes ham raspe with the highs, which means it distors much more than tubes WHEN YOU LISTEN.
ONLY RESULT MATTERS and i don't care about what is written on the paper. Distorsion rate is not the good criteria.

"distortion RATE" is indeed not the issue ... most tube amps have a higher distortion rate, but the distortion is more natural and pleasant for the ear. I actually agree about what you said about the better transparency of tube amps ... but that's not the topic of this thread.

I suppose you have heard about pair and unpair harmonics. Here's the explanation.

With the amp up, well implemented, you can enjoy voices, flutes, violins, trumpets, etc... with an incredible clarity, openess, softness, transparency, precense, natural, MATTER, etc... and NEUTRALITY. A good tube is not colored at all.
On another hand, tube amps are always a liitle "round" in the low and can lack of quickness in the low.
The solution, which is the royal way, is the bi-amplification with a good transistor in the low and a good tube in the highs, and a good preamp (transistor, tube or hybrid, there's no rule).
But that's another story.

Yes indeed, it's another story.

So, this statement:
"it is not an accurate playback of the original signal" is untrue, considering a good tube amp like the one up.

Yes it is true - the playback might actually be more accurate than a good transistor amp (and MUCH more accurate than a cheap amp), but the added distortion still changes the signal. But I admit that this is not really a problem, because there is NO amp which can give you a 100% accurate reproduction of the signal.

cobb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 08:41

Yes - I think that I can rip my entire CD collection to my PC in a lossless format and use Winamp to listen to the songs. Provided that the soundcard is connected to a really good amp & speakers using a digital interface, the music should sound identical compared to playing it on a HiFi CD player, which is connected to the same amp via a digital cable.

oliverstoned disagrees strongly, so I'm interested about other people's opinions about this.

A cd player and a pc producing sound from its cd drive (or from file) both use the same process to produce the analog signal that goes out the output jacks. Both use microprocessors to control the signal and hardware to convert the digital stream to audio signal. The cd player, though still just a microprocessor, has a dedicated job, all the hardware has been specifically set up to produce music, this is its only purpose. Therefore if you have a soundcard that is specifically set up to produce a (high quality) audio signal, the result should be the same. Many soundcard manufacturers produce high end cards that will do this job just as good as a high end cd player.

Edited by cobb
cobb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 08:45
Microprocessor driven sound generation also has the added advantage of being capable of sending digital stream directly to the amp (assuming the amp can handle optical). This makes it even better- no signal loss and distortion through wire cable.

Edited by cobb
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 08:47
So we agree on most points, dear Mike.

I use the Jolida up as a wide band amp (i'm in a little room), but i've add a good subwoofer (Omega Magnat 380 with a 38cm driven by a 200 watts transistor amp) for bottom-low/extreme low. So it's a little like a bi amp with tube in the highs and transistor in the low.

I let you reorient the debate.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 08:56

oliverstoned:

Feel free to open a thread about the various types of amps ... it's an interesting subject. BTW: As a guitarist I have always prefered tube amps. Currently I use the Vox ToneLab SE, which simulates a tube amp + speaker environment by using a real (but slightly modified) tube. 

cobb:

While I think that the analog outputs of GOOD sound cards are sufficient, for the sake of this discussion I was talking about digital interfaces to rule out any possible signal degradation by bad D/A converters or electronic pollutions of the sound card circuits by the computer components.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>