Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHeadphones or Speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 04:12

Hmm. Speakers as room acoustics to are part of the sound. Btw, I use Martin Logan Summits X's for most listening. Wilson Watt Puppys for hard rock and metal.

Edited by SteveG - February 21 2017 at 04:14
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 04:35
Both, depending on the situation as may others have stated.

JBL LSR 2300 Powered monitors in my office, PSB Alphas, PSB centre and a JBL 10" sub in my Media room. AKG 240 studio headphones for those intimate moments.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 04:57
It depends. For general listening anything will do as long as it's half-way decent - I'll use headphones in the evening and bookshelf speakers during the day (I have Kef, Mission, Q Acoustic and a pair of 1970s Wharfdales to choose from - on balance I prefer the 'dales but the Mission and Q Acoustic are so similar there is little to choose between them as to which comes second, the Kefs are meh, okay but nothing special). Bookshelf speakers are a compromise, I'd prefer floor-standing but my wife does not, and given a free choice music comes a poor second to a peaceful married life. 

For headphones I've tried all the usual suspects and just don't like them. My favourite ever were a pair of Howland West electrostatics but they fell to pieces after 30 years faithful service - I now use cheap JVC (bluetooth and tethered) because I like the balanced sound they produce and can wear them for several hours without any adverse effects. 

For playback-while-recording I have some nasty "Ministry of Sound" branded things of unknown parentage simply because they have practically zero spill but will use the JVCs for rough mixing and some nondescript Jamo floor speakers with 10" drivers for final mix and mastering. But frankly the ultimate test of that mix is playing it in the car through its Blaupunkts - if it doesn't sound good there then there's no point continuing.

One day I'll invest in some quality monitors but that's low on my list of priorities right now.
What?
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 05:00
On another perspective, some pair of speakers can be really "sexy", can't they ?

(Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus, they sound gorgeous, too)

Edited by Quinino - February 21 2017 at 05:03
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 05:22
Generally I listen off speakers but if I particularly like a certain album I would also give it a headphones treatment for a more "close-up" listen
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 07:51
I enjoy both, but headphones.
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 08:07
I use both. 

I commute an hour a day, and listen to music while on the bus. I use Bose noise cancelling headphones for the bus. At home, depending on the music, my mood, and where I want to listen, I will either listen to music through my surround system - 5.1 Denon speaker system - or through one of a couple of bookshelf systems distributed throughout the house. The bookshelf systems are wireless Bose Soundtouch systems - convenient, and sound ok, but nothing to write home about in the sound department.
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 08:36
A highly subjective question. I have fairly high end speakers at home and love to hear them fill the room with music. I'm also very fond of my wired headphones (Sennheiser HD 600s and 650s) which were a fraction of the price. Some recordings I enjoy more through speakers, others through the cans.

The fact is though that I commute and the majority of my listening is done on trains via wireless headphones. I doubt that any currently existing wireless 'phones really offer outstanding fidelity, but I find the sound on my Sony MDR-1000X set is more than good enough. I think the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and the top Bose model are also considered respectable.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 08:43
It's speakers because I like sharing the experience with my wife.   

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 21 2017 at 08:49
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 08:57
I don't use headphones for everyday listening since I prefer speakers.
I do use headphones with my digital recorder if it's late at night. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 09:05
Hi,

I'm not enjoying headphones a lot ... and here is an example.

LP: From the 70's, specially the German stuff like Schulze, Tangerine Dream and even CAN that was usually very well done, studio wise, for my ears. I have what some folks would have called 30 years ago a very high end setup, with ESS Heil AMT1 speakers (air motion transformer!) and a high end turn table with a $300 dollar cartridge on it ... it makes a difference on that cartridge, btw.

The quality is smooth and strong.

Now you get the CD's and put them on in the same system, and they do not sound as clear. Perhaps is this or that or what not, and it simply does not measure up. So I go get one of SW's remixes and guess what ... it sounds great on headphones, but does not seem to divide well on the speakers ... which I thought was a bit weird for me.

I think the crunching and all the bruhaha for the digital stuff has taken away some quality or what we used to call "hi fidelity" which you will KNOW what it is about if you EVER get one of those RED SEAL albums that came out in the late 60's and early 70's ... these were the best of the best super recorded, clean and strong all around. No headphones, to my mind, have ever come close to those. So here, speakers would win.

The future, though, is changing things, and I believe the digital will eventually will surpass the other stuff and at that point the headphones might become a better listen, but in the end, IF MUSIC is about the room and the acoustics on it, it would be impossible for it to sound better on headphones, since you can not duplicate the air movement (sound) in the room in your head!

I'm not overly technical on these things ... sorry!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 09:07
In the late '70s had on some crisp sounding Sennheiser phones while lying on my back and listening to Red's Starless when a more than mild California earthquake rolled across the land. Will just say that it was a moving experience.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 10:35
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

On another perspective, some pair of speakers can be really "sexy", can't they ?

Well, I used to think my Definitive Technology BP6 was sexy until I started hearing "...those don't match the room, can't you get something smaller..?"
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 10:41
^ As the old saying goes -  can't live with them, can't live w/o them LOL (LS, I mean)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 14:45
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

I have heard a similar pr of SF at a local dealer, really nice towers for sure. They are made with a leather front that also wraps up the top too. To power these puppies you need some very high quality amplifiers....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 14:53
My "I won the Powerball Lotto" speakers would probably be the Marten Coltrane 3 towers.....About $100K so hence the need to win the Powerball Lotto LOL!!! But also would need probably $80K worth of amplifiers and preamps to give them their due.

Edited by Catcher10 - February 21 2017 at 15:01
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 14:59
Just listen to them dollars
What?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 15:02
Sorry....interweb, pa site is acting weird right now for me.......I only want ONE pr of them not THREE LOL
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 15:12
And a million dollar house to accomodate the whole thing with justice, that's the real problem Cry

Stick to the SF, but you are right they need plenty of juice  - I run them with a  Pre/ 160W Power from  Advance Acoustics, best combo around for such an affordable tag (and also gooood-looking)
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 16:33
Speakers, so I won't need to pause the music to get more coffee or urinate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>