Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThoughts on Duke

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on Duke
    Posted: February 21 2017 at 08:07
I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on 1980's Duke. In my opinion it has a lot of proggy elements but with a more accessible feel. It's the only 80's album that I thoroughly enjoy. The weakest song is probably "Please Don't Ask", which is obviously a Collins song both lyrically and musically but songs such as "Heathaze", "Duke's Travels/End" and "Behind the Lines" and more are great songs. I personally think it should be regarded as the last prog album. I think it's a better album than "...And Then There Were Three."
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 09:19

What?
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 09:20
There are only about three stand-out songs on Duke for me, and the unsung hero of the affair is Mike Rutherford for penning Man of Our Times. Wonderful stuff that was showing his maturity as a songwriter at the time. Also, Heathaze lies within the upper echelons of Genesis tunes, once again attesting to the beautiful, lilting music Tony Banks was capable of composing.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 09:39
I think it is an essential album, a true classic. Beautifully crafted, emotional, with a wall of sound that sounds as good today as it did when I first heard it in 1980.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 09:43
Originally posted by Old King Cole Old King Cole wrote:

I personally think it should be regarded as the last prog album.

I hope you actually mean "Genesis' last prog album" here, and not the last prog album ever made. And even then, that is debatable. Prog = progressive, moving forwards. We need to get rid of the snobbish attitude that radio friendly = regression for prog artists. There are elements of prog in all of Genesis' albums; just because they found the magic formula for how to appeal to a large fanbase doesn't mean they suddenly stopped being "prog", whatever that even means.
Old King Cole View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 09:48
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Originally posted by Old King Cole Old King Cole wrote:

I personally think it should be regarded as the last prog album.

I hope you actually mean "Genesis' last prog album" here, and not the last prog album ever made. And even then, that is debatable. Prog = progressive, moving forwards. We need to get rid of the snobbish attitude that radio friendly = regression for prog artists. There are elements of prog in all of Genesis' albums; just because they found the magic formula for how to appeal to a large fanbase doesn't mean they suddenly stopped being "prog", whatever that even means.

Obviously I mean, Genesis' last prog album. I never said that their pop stuff was bad, I enjoy some of it, but I don't think it's nearly as good as their 1970-80 output. You can't compare "Invisible Touch" to "Selling England by the Pound" or "We Can't Dance" to "Trick of the Tail."

Duke is a great introductory album to prog. It has songs with both prog and pop elements.

Edited by Old King Cole - February 21 2017 at 09:53
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 09:50
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

I like the way you think. Let's also look at "Home By The Sea" (both parts) from Genesis (1983). Had a band from England's early '80s neo scene recorded that, they'd probably be credited with helping reinvigorate the scene.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 10:38
It's their last great album IMO. I have a real soft spot for ATTWT, but Duke is arguably more consistent and in places more powerful.

I'm not keen on Misunderstanding and Please don't ask, but everthing else is excellent. Man of our times, Cul de sac, Turn it on again and Dukes Travels/End are my fave tunes on Duke.

At least 4 stars, if not 5.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 01:37
I got my copy of Duke autographed when they put in a record store appearance.  Oh an amusing note my brother brought a copy of Moroccan Roll and Tony signed it.  They passed it around and all laughed at the back cover.  Yeah Misunderstanding was certainly some kind of mistake.  heheheh  I also thing Abacrabs should get more respect.  Whodunnit gets trashed but I think that is not deserved.  It was supposed to be silly.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 22 2017 at 01:42
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 02:56
I really love the emotional punch of "Duchess". "Turn It On Again" is their greatest single.
Duke is great.
And I also like Abacab. I'd pick a PG era for best Genesis album, but for Collins era, it would more likely be Duke.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 04:26
I believe that micky has stated over a thousand times that it's the best Genesis album. Wink Personally, I can live without it.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 05:11
Most songs are good, as an album I prefer it above ATTW3. Duke's Travels/Duke's End may be their best post-Hackett effort.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 05:21
Horrible. Phil wrecked the band with his top forty bubble gum fantasies. I even have a problem listening  to the early material of Genesis because of Phil.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 08:39
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I got my copy of Duke autographed when they put in a record store appearance.  Oh an amusing note my brother brought a copy of Moroccan Roll and Tony signed it.  They passed it around and all laughed at the back cover.  Yeah Misunderstanding was certainly some kind of mistake.  heheheh  I also thing Abacrabs should get more respect.  Whodunnit gets trashed but I think that is not deserved.  It was supposed to be silly.
There's a somewhat infamous picture in one of the Genesis bios of Phil getting ready to sign a copy of Moroccan Roll at an in-store appearance.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Old King Cole View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 09:56
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

Horrible. Phil wrecked the band with his top forty bubble gum fantasies. I even have a problem listening  to the early material of Genesis because of Phil.

Have you listened to the album as a whole? Most of the songs are really good. "Duke's Travels/End" is just as proggy as their earlier efforts, "Heathaze" is a beautiful song with an original chord progression and a nice melody and "Duchess", "Turn it on Again" and "Behind the Lines" are good examples of "prog-pop" done right. Maybe you should give it another shot.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 10:33

Banks and Rutherford were just as responsible for the direction Genesis took after Hackett left. It is simply wrong to load all the "blame" on Collins.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 12:39
Ellington ?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 13:10
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Banks and Rutherford were just as responsible for the direction Genesis took after Hackett left. It is simply wrong to load all the "blame" on Collins.

Tony Banks, a pop guy? No way! LOL

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 15:06
I listened to it again after a very long period of having not. The music for the most part is painfully simplex. Duke's Travels is alright and is the most progressive thing on the album. Still, it's mainly of value to anyone seeking a lot of keyboard gratification; guitar fan? forget it. The timbres on the keyboard are nice. I like that. No interesting textures or interactive melodies or counterpoint and so on. Nothing too complicated; an atmospheric background of sound with cycling keyboard solos on top. Certainly there's more guitar on Dukes End, but it's very ordinary. The opening to Behind the Lines and Duchess have the "sound" of Prog, but have all the inner complexity and innovation of just about any AC/DC song, so they're not Prog. As for the rest of it, I can't detect Prog anything of any sort. I don't know in what way this can be thought of as a Prog album. Maybe an album with a glimpse of Prog. Although I like Phil Collins' vocals in large part on Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering (some exceptions), his vocals are annoying to me nearly all throughout Duke. He seems to be singing in an effort to charm teenage girls. The vocals have something the sort of which I can only describe as a sort of "Pop glee" that leaves me very uncomfortable.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 15:31
Better than The Wall 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>