Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThoughts on Duke

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2017 at 08:20
I remember how depressed I felt when I first listened to Duke. Genesis were always reliable up to that point, great album after great album, they set the bar so high. The absolute nadia of that terrible album was Duchess... I could have cried, what the hell had happened, how could the mighty have fallen so far. It was the turning point, with the exception of the odd song, their albums got worse and worse and, of course, the unwashed masses loved everything they churned out.... even 'Whodunnit'! Pass the bucket. 

Have you noticed that all Genesis tribute bands cover the period up to Wind and Wuthering. None, not one, covers the Collins and his backing band phase. Eh, Phil?

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 09:25
^^^ I think In The Cage covered Behind the Lines when I saw them years ago at a Genesis convention, but beyond that yes, the tribute acts only cover what the 'real' fans want to hear most of all.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 09:53
Beyond Wind & Wuthering, Genesis were merely a shadow of their former self and Duke is no exception. I wish I was more positive about the direction they went post-Hackett, but I’m not. I’ll always be one of those fans that waves the flag for their earlier work.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 11:33
Duke is a wonderful album. I've always said its a beautiful blend of prog and a sophisticated 80's pop offering.
I've got absolutely no criticisms for this album.
I'm afraid I am quite useless in this thread, however I just wanted to convey my love for this album.
If one ever gets the chance to listen to Duke in a 5.1 surround sound offering I really suggest doing so. It's very well mixed by Nick Davis. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123