Poll Question: Your favorite...
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
25 [62.50%]
15 [37.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 Albums by VDGG
    Posted: February 21 2017 at 20:50
My favorite album by VDGG is Godbluff, and has been for a while. Pick one of the two albums, and comment your favorite overall album as well.

Any recommendations for groups similar to VDGG?
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 01:54
Godbluff is my second favourite VdGG album (first is Still Life), Pawn Hearts ranks 5th or 6th.

Groups similar to VdGG: You might like Discipline (Unfolded Like Staircase is one of my overall favourite albums, sounds a bit like VdGG with a cloud of milk and a lump of sugar and leans a bit towards Genesis) or Gnidrolog (I recommend Lady Lake, more or less in the center of the triangle with VdGG, Gentle Giant and Jethro Tull as angular points).

Edited by someone_else - February 22 2017 at 01:54
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 05:14
Check out The Othello Syndrome's "The Shadow of Dreams." Very VDGG influenced.
PROGMATIC
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 07:00
My vote goes to Pawn Hearts, among these two great albums.
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 07:51
Pawn
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 08:15
PH, but both 5 stars.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 08:59
U recommend the band The Red Masque. they are very similar to VdGG in feel (meaning dark).

here an excerpt from one of their concerts:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 09:14
They shouldn't be compared. Two different eras of the band, really. And I never was sold on Godbluff in the first place.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 09:38
Neither, by a long way.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 10:03
Close one...but I'll go with PH
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 15:16
Godbluff.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 06:00
Discipline
Audience
Catapilla (with female vocalist though)

There are several others too apparently. 

As for Red Masque they are a great band who have really matured over the years. I actually know the members personally. I've met them several times(especially the two long term members)and have even interviewed them. Good call on them. They are also influenced by Magma, goth rock(ie Bauhaus etc), PH solo, Comus, old horror movies, HP Lovecraft(the writer not the sixties band)and have have a myriad of other influences that I can't remember off the top of my head. I actually ran into them at a Magma show earlier last year. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 23 2017 at 06:05
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 07:30
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Discipline
Audience
Catapilla (with female vocalist though)

There are several others too apparently. 

As for Red Masque they are a great band who have really matured over the years. I actually know the members personally. I've met them several times(especially the two long term members)and have even interviewed them. Good call on them. They are also influenced by Magma, goth rock(ie Bauhaus etc), PH solo, Comus, old horror movies, HP Lovecraft(the writer not the sixties band)and have have a myriad of other influences that I can't remember off the top of my head. I actually ran into them at a Magma show earlier last year. 

Thanks! 
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 07:35
Two fantastic albums, Godbluff would probably be in my overall top five, Pawn Hearts top 20 or 25
Watchmaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watchmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 07:44
I don't know if they are very close musically, but thematically the first Alan Parsons Project album, Tales of Mystery and Imagination might interest you.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 07:50
Originally posted by Watchmaker Watchmaker wrote:

I don't know if they are very close musically, but thematically the first Alan Parsons Project album, Tales of Mystery and Imagination might interest you.

I'll check it out. 
Thanks! :)
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 08:21
Another toss up, damn you.

(I picked Pawn Hearts just to even it up.)
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2017 at 08:50
bluff
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 08:56
Like them almost equally. But because of Plague, Pawn Hearts get my vote
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 10:03
I picked Pawn Hearts. My favourite VdGG album is The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other.

And as for recommendations of other groups: I suggest Gnidrolog and Island's Pictures.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>