Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Overrated Prog Bands Of All Time Poll
    Posted: March 05 2018 at 05:18
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Like introducing flute as a rock-instrument.
Not revolutionairy at all. You're right.

That's a good point. Omnipresent reliance on this instrument. I love flute of early Genesis, Camel, King Crimson, Gryphon, The Moody Blues... In those bands it is used very tastefully as natural complement, enrichment of their music. But in Jethro Tull, I am easily "overeaten" by it. IA's voice also doesn't belong among my favorites... Too much showcase and less substance, imo.

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 08:38
remembered huh.. by those who really don't have a full view of the topic... outside of their fanboy love perhaps haha

so I guess Raff....that is a prime reason for overrated threads and why they continue to exist here. Getting and giving credit for what one really didn't do huh...

Edited by micky - March 04 2018 at 08:39
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 08:30
Well at least they are remembered that way.
I think Anderson could care less, though.

He never wanted to be a progrocker. Most of the progrock artists never wanted to be (according to interviews I read).
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 07:54
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

oh come on man.... let's know our music before sticking our feet in our mouths.. Anderson did NOT introduce flute in a rock context...  I'll give that to IMO.. that single most underrated prog musican of them all. This notion only illustrating my point.

he only popularized it in his guise as frontman... and no.. that is not revolutionary.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 06:00
^Of course mostly definations of music are subjective, but I think we all can find also objective things into it. I don´t believe anybody here is saying today´s pophits are genius pieces of music, or do they? Anyway I don´t really want to bash any music, sometimes I am just frustrated, when some music that I find genius doesn´t find any respect at all.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 05:56
Overrated is subjective. To me, most modern "retro-prog" bands are overrated, but I know that a lot of people - here and elsewhere - love them and enjoy their music. I don't understand threads whose sole purpose is to bash music (and musicians) whose output we don't personally enjoy, but that's just me.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 05:55
About the grammies and nominations, that Tull/Metallica-situation just tells me how vain really many rockstars are (like of course most of the ordinary people).
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 05:51
Tull is an interesting one.. I see your point Stewe. I think the point is... and it applies in an even greater degree to Floyd. Is trying to pigeonhole a completely unique band as a mere prog band. Tull were not a prog band... they were TULL.. and no one else.  So yeah in that context.. one could see them overrated in the context of prog.. but that does the band a disservice. They were so much more than merely.. prog.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 05:50
Originally posted by stewe stewe wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^Naturally I also want to see some arguments, why some band is overrated in somebody´s opinion. I can think quite many progbands somebody could say overrated, Jethro is not one of them IMO. Or are you talking about that Grammy-case?

My clearly subjective arguments....With JT, I think of disbalance between real contribution to art/prog music and huge adoration by art/prog rock community. Usually JT are perceived to be in the same league as Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, ELP, Pink Floyd. All mentioned bands I see as revolutionary for the genre and for music in general, in their own way. In JT catalogue I can't see anything really revolutionary. Good prog folk band, but nothing that exceptional.

Furthermore Thick as a Brich was a blatant rip-off. Other bands did that kind of thing a hundred times.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 05:50
^Well, I think they´re really more than just a good prog folk band. I really like Strawbs, but more the defination goes into them than Tull. Tull was in the same time developing prog as those others you mentioned and they have had also influences from Classical music, like many other progbands same time. If you´re saying Thick as a Brick is just good folkprogalbum, I believe you haven´t really listened it. Tull was also one of the only ones with a Flute (yes, I know Gabriel played it too, but not even near as much as Anderson) Also, one thing only Zappa and Tull brought into prog is a really good sense of humour (well somebodies might think Zappa´s humour has a good sense at all).
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 05:40
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^Naturally I also want to see some arguments, why some band is overrated in somebody´s opinion. I can think quite many progbands somebody could say overrated, Jethro is not one of them IMO. Or are you talking about that Grammy-case?

My clearly subjective arguments....With JT, I think of disbalance between real contribution to art/prog music and huge adoration by art/prog rock community. Usually JT are perceived to be in the same league as Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, ELP, Pink Floyd. All mentioned bands I see as revolutionary for the genre and for music in general, in their own way. In JT catalogue I can't see anything really revolutionary. Good prog folk band, but nothing that exceptional.

Edited by stewe - March 04 2018 at 05:42

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 01:06
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

^ Metallica thought it was funny as well. Everyone thought it was funny.
When Metallica eventually won a grammy, they joked:"well, we were lucky, Tull didn't release an album this year".

The moment JT was announced as winner everyone was like "wtf?"

Joking about it 4 years later is a total different thing IMO. 
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 01:04
I think this thread has lost his purpose, now people are just yelling names of bands they don't like.

I am embarrassed I even mentioned Steven Wilson.
I don't want to be part of a group of people who just bash bands and acts they don't like.
That being said: I really like Porcupine Tree and Blackfield. I like the remixes of Steven Wilson but I don't think he is a god.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 01:03
^ Metallica thought it was funny as well. Everyone thought it was funny.
When Metallica eventually won a grammy, they joked:"well, we were lucky, Tull didn't release an album this year".
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 00:39
^ I don't think the whole think was meant to be funny. I guess Metallica were pissed, I imagine especially Lars.  I think many were pissed because it was one of the first years metal got any sort of recognition and the Grammy people blew it really bad. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 00:34
^really funny anyway. I believe Metallica guys were seriously pissed and didn´t see any humour in that situation, or am I wrong? At least they added "Grammy Award LOSERS"-sticker after that into "...and justice for all"-album.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 00:30
^ the whole Grammy situation with JT winning best metal act was just incompetence or ignorance from the part of the Grammy awards organizers (or how should I call them? staff? people involved in giving awards?)
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 00:25
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 07:39
Jethro Tull

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 05:19
^Put it simple: some musicians aren´t as genius as others. Still in this unfair world always genius musicians don´t get as much attention they deserved, mediocre musicians (meaning their creativity, not skills) not of course also always have attention, but sometimes do. Of course BJH has had right to make music the same as any others and when they succeeded, it´s just great to them.

Do you think we all should have said into thread there haven´t ever been any overrated bands? You would have been satisfied then? And even I think BJM is quite mediocre, you all who love them, have right to love them, my opinion is not away from anybody.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>