Topic ClosedMost Overrated Prog Bands Of All Time Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 16:06

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Chilltoss Chilltoss wrote:

Perhaps ELP. They do have their moments with songs like "Lucky Man" or "The Sheriff", however the rest of their work is filled with pretentious, self-indulgent, and bombastic noodling(half the bands on your list are probably similar in this regard, but I've yet to listen to them and don't plan to). Look no further than Karn Evil 9. ab-so-lute rub-bish  

Hmmm.  Interesting definition of rubbish.  You create something better and then we'll talk.  

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

The "Overrated" title seems a bit radical to me, since most people don't even have a clue on how to play an instrument, what to speak of writing a song, and yet, decide that somebody's music is good or bad, pretentious or overrated etc, based on our personal taste and opinions, which are as faulty, if not more, than the people who wrote the music we criticize.

I'm not trying to defend Chilltoss' dismissive attack on a talented prog band, but I do take exception to the argument that someone criticizing a work requires the critic being able to produce something better. For example, I can criticize an actor's performance while not possessing any acting ability because I can compare the actor's performance to that of other actors. See here.

That being said, a musician will generally be able to offer more insight and better substantiate his arguments when expressing his opinion, so I am not trying to argue that all opinions have the same value.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 16:14
god I love these threads...  perhaps the next one should have a definition of overrated.

not to pick on Hercules.. but the man does beg for it. Personally I think he loves the attention.. he is a neo fan you know.

I don't like Fripp's guitar style at all...

holy sh*t!!!!!   There you go.. King Crimson thus is OVERRATED!!  hah...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 16:18
Stop playing guys.  Anybody (and by anybody I mean everybody) knows that Rush is the most over rated piece of dreck that the cat dragged in.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 22:03
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

King Crimson or Van de Graaf Generator.

Pick either. I loathe them both.

I would say that those two are the most underrated Prog bands, at least underrated by you.

I know why you don't like Van der Graaf Generator, it's because of Hammill's vocals, but I don't recall why you loathe King Crimson so much.

1) I don't like Fripp's guitar style at all

2)Too self indulgent

3) Poor composition (with the honorable exception of Epitaph, ITCOTCK and The Night Watch)

4) Jamie Muir (on LTIA)

Micky already responded, but since you put the effort into replying, I feel I should do the same. Thanks for answering, by the way

1) I don't think Fripp employs just one style across his albums, and guitar is not omnipresesnt anyway.

One could not enjoy Fripp's guitar and still enjoy this, for instance ((I'm not saying one should enjoy it, I being less into rock generally than most here probably enjoy it more than most here):

2) Maybe sometimes -- I think that good artists commonly are self-indulgent -- they make music to please themselves rather than try to pander to an audience, which is more the music industry side of things. Experimentation and doing what you want to in the arts is not a bad thing generally-speaking, methinks, even if it does hurt some delicate ears. If the exercise is pleasurable to them and doesn't really hurt anyone else, more power to them, I say.

3) Can't see why you would limit not poor composition to just those tracks across its oeuvre, and it makes me wonder if you've really listened to all of its albums (or even just the ones up to 1974) attentively over recent years.
Sure it's no Bach, but from a Prog perspective I cannot see how one could claim that KC is objectively poor at composition when compared to most other Prog acts. Be good to get some music conservatory trained people here to weigh in on this who have studied composition in real depth. I think that King Crimson is actually better than average in Prog circles when it comes to the ability to compose in different styles and in terms of harmony and in utilizing different techniques in varied compositions (more skilled than ye average Neo Prog band I would think both in musicianship and in composition). I'm not claiming that KC is academic music, but it's music that I think even most music academics could find some appreciation for if they were exposed to enough of it and compared it to other Prog bands such as Pendragon, IQ, and Marillion (I have no proof of this, and I may be wrong).

4) I happen to think that Jamie Muir is a talented percussionist, and that it shows on Larks' Tongues in Aspic, but I'm no drummer.

I know that to each his or her own tastes, but your repetitive and rather extreme disapproval for King Crimson (loathing is a very strong emotion) has rather baffled me since King Crimson is quite diverse in style and even in instrumental approach. I could imagine someone into Prog who likes Red who does not like Islands for instance, and I could imagine someone who likes Lizard not liking Discipline, and someone who enjoys In the Wake of Poseidon not really liking Larks' Tongues in Aspic, but I would think that most who appreciate Prog would at least respect the band for what they have accomplished, and that most Prog aficionados would find enough to like not to hate the band at the very least.

Like what one likes, but I think that one should be careful when one uses words such as poor, and in terms of this overall topic, when one claims that music is overrated. It's commonly intellectually lazy and often intellectually dishonest, not that I'm claiming to be any sort of intellectual. That would be blatantly dishonest of me.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 22:07
Hahaha this might just be the most spirited discussion I've seen on this site in months! LOL

Can't have a discussion on overrating without throwing some good ol' J-Dull in the mix, though. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 22:18
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

Perhaps ELP. They do have their moments with songs like "Lucky Man" or "The Sheriff", however the rest of their work is filled with pretentious, self-indulgent, and bombastic noodling(half the bands on your list are probably similar in this regard, but I've yet to listen to them and don't plan to). Look no further than Karn Evil 9. ab-so-lute rub-bish  
Hmmm.  Interesting definition of rubbish.  You create something better and then we'll talk.  

The "Overrated" title seems a bit radical to me, since most people don't even have a clue on how to play an instrument, what to speak of writing a song, and yet, decide that somebody's music is good or bad, pretentious or overrated etc, based on our personal taste and opinions, which are as faulty, if not more, than the people who wrote the music we criticize.
I'm not trying to defend Chilltoss' dismissive attack on a talented prog band, but I do take exception to the argument that someone criticizing a work requires the critic being able to produce something better. For example, I can criticize an actor's performance while not possessing any acting ability because I can compare the actor's performance to that of other actors. See here.

That being said, a musician will generally be able to offer more insight and better substantiate his arguments when expressing his opinion, so I am not trying to argue that all opinions have the same value.

True it may be a musicocentric thing to suggest that one produce something better, though from the reactions of those who responded to that point, it seems an impression held by others as well.   It's also probable that the musicians here, of which there are many, would be more likely to respond to that post in the first place.  

But your point is taken.

Edited by Atavachron - March 08 2017 at 22:30
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 22:46

Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

True it may be a musicocenric thing to suggest that one produce something better, though from the reactions of those who responded to that point, it seems an impression held by others as well.   It's also probable that the musicians here, of which there are many, would be more likely to respond to that post in the first place.  

But your point is taken.

We all have our tastes. If somebody doesn't like a bunch of notes that's fine. But just say that. There are plenty of albums I don't like for various reasons, none of which are linked to the artists intent. And I can guarantee there are albums that don't connect with me that profoundly connect with others, and vise versa. As I said, accusing an artist of self-indulgence serves no purpose other than...self-indulgence. It's the implication of the artist's intention that to me is just to redirect away from pure lack of understanding. I have no problem with someone being taking to task for a comment that attacks the artist character, rather than content.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 07:52
Originally posted by crispytreats crispytreats wrote:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/WithACloud/the-most-overrated-prog-bands-ever/

So what do you guys think Tongue?

I think WithACloud is a tasteless dog turd, actually. IQ, Marillion and Riverside are amongst my favourite bands.

But he's entitled to his opinion.

Edited by Hercules - March 09 2017 at 08:07
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 08:04
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

god I love these threads...  perhaps the next one should have a definition of overrated.

not to pick on Hercules.. but the man does beg for it. Personally I think he loves the attention.. he is a neo fan you know.

I really don't care two hoots if you or others don't agree with me. I long since stopped worrying about opinions because it's all just a matter of taste. When someone factually disagrees with one of my papers: that's what I worry about.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 08:19
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Thank you.

Every few months this thread comes along without searching for the numerous existing incidents of the same thing so a handful can sling about the p-word and feel they are somehow clever and original while ignoring that such behavior is the quintessence self-indulgence. 

Exactly. Nothing's more pretentious than people acting as if their personal opinion/biases are objective fact.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 08:26

I really don't care two hoots if you or others don't agree with me. I long since stopped worrying about opinions because it's all just a matter of taste. When someone factually disagrees with one of my papers: that's what I worry about.

Hercules, I'm fine with your opinion and your indifference to others, but you can't really then go and call someone "a tasteless dog turd" when their tastes differ for yours, theirs are equally valid. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 09:44
I do have one question about the format of the list. The thread topic mentions a poll, but I don't see any results on that list. Is this list just something the OP or someone else came up with?

Also, I found it hilariously misinformed that whoever wrote the blurb on each band is under the impression that the same person is responsible for both vocals and keyboards.

Since OP asked what we think, I'll go ahead and state my opinion: I think the OP is a troll attempting to stir the pot. The list is simply an enumeration of bands accompanied by a short description that attempts to be funny and offensive at the same time.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 09:56

This is my definition:

Overrated: Millions thinks that band is great for different reasons, but they are all wrong, because I say so.

Now. I don't like most KC and nothing from  GG or VDGG, but this doesn't make them overrated, by the contrary, I believe they receive less credit than they deserve for doing what they love, despite the opinion of anybody.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 09 2017 at 10:07

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 10:12

Has anybody checked his list of favourite bands and artists?

member since December 27, 2015, #490318 RSS WithACloud
favorite artists
https://rateyourmusic.com/~WithACloud
This explains a lot

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 10:40
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

[Has anybody checked his list of favourite bands and artists?

The "favourite artists" list clearly seems to be a joke. I have checked out his actual ratings, and his five star albums include Prog classics by King Crimson, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd and Yes.

Edited by Logan - March 09 2017 at 10:42
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 12:14
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

This is my definition:
Overrated: Millions thinks that band is great for different reasons, but they are all wrong, because I say so.

Now. I don't like most KC and nothing from  GG or VDGG, but this doesn't make them overrated, by the contrary, I believe they receive less credit than they deserve for doing what they love, despite the opinion of anybody.

That is how many use overrated. I'm not defining this for you, nor disagreeing with you, Ivan, as I know that you know what it means, and I agree with your attitude. Overrated means assessed or valued to highly by others (can refer to one person or many people). I think there's a place to use such a term in a rational and reasonably objective manner. For instance, someone claims that the Beatles was THE most important influence on developing raga due to him teaching Ravi Shankar how to really play the sitar. Of course that's factually inaccurate, but also I would say that that person has overrated the Beatles influence on the development of Raga. I have come across some similar very questionable claims on significance by individuals about many things that is borne by ignorance where I would counterclaim that they have overrated something based on their premises and conclusion which they present as objective reasoning and fact-based.

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Hercules, I'm fine with your opinion and your indifference to others, but you can't really then go and call someone "a tasteless dog turd" when their tastes differ for yours, theirs are equally valid. 

Some opinions have more worth and are more worthy of respect than others in my opinion. Everyone has opinions, but informed opinions are worth more than others. Tastes are equally valid, for instance some people eat dog turds, not kidding, whereas I would turn my nose up at that. Maybe I'm idealistic, but I do believe that opinions can transcend our biases and be rooted in the objective.

As for if someone disagrees with a paper, as long as one doesn't try to defend one's work out of egotism despite the evidence against it, that's great. I think that our opinions should always be open to change based on evidence.

If Hercules, as a mathematician, were to claim that Euler was a total idiot, a dog-turd could produce better equations, and is a highly overrated buffoon, well I'm sure that peers of his would object. It wouldn't be good enough just to say, well that's my opinion, you have to respect that.

I, like others, would prefer that one doesn't phrase subjective opinions which are merely based on personal taste as objectively true. If one is to claim that King Crimson is poor at composition, while extolling the virtues and genius of IQ (pun intended), then don't be surprised if someone calls your judgment into question. If one were in music class studying composition, then I expect that the teacher's would expect you to back up your claims, and not just say, well it's all about taste. No, one can discuss composition in a knowledgeable manner -- especially if one is well trained in it.

Furthermore, from personal perspective, if one doesn't care at all if others agree with you or want to actually discuss the merits of one's ideas, I'm not sure what the point is in posting. I think that all beliefs and opinions should be up for scrutiny, by others and by ourselves.

I like to extend this idea to more general notions of truth seeking and in examining our opinions and notions.

"In science it is no crime to be wrong, unless you are (inappropriately) laying claim to truth. What matters is that science as a whole is a self-correcting mechanism in which both new and old notions are constantly under scrutiny. In other words, the edifice of scientific knowledge consists simply of a body of observations and ideas that have (so far) proven resistant to attack, and that are thus accepted as working hypotheses about nature" (Ian Tattersall).
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 12:57
Starcastle.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 13:07
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

That is how many use overrated. I'm not defining this for you, nor disagreeing with you, Ivan, as I know that you know what it means, and I agree with your attitude. Overrated means assessed or valued to highly by others (can refer to one person or many people). I think there's a place to use such a term in a rational and reasonably objective manner. For instance, someone claims that the Beatles was THE most important influence on developing raga due to him teaching Ravi Shankar how to really play the sitar. Of course that's factually inaccurate, but also I would say that that person has overrated the Beatles influence on the development of Raga. I have come across some similar very questionable claims on significance by individuals about many things that is borne by ignorance where I would counterclaim that they have overrated something based on their premises and conclusion which they present as objective reasoning and fact-based.

Of course there are valid uses of the word

In a Peruvian Forum there are a bunch of guys who say things like

Los Beatles son la mejor banda de la historia. 

Nadie con dos dedos de frente lo pone en duda, y los que pretenden dudarlo tienen que ofrecer videos de bandas supuestamente mejores porque sus integrantes tocaban mejor sus instrumentos...y con eso demuestran tener NI PAJOLERA IDEA...

Translation: THE BEATLES ARE THE BEST BAND OF HISTORY

Nobody with brain will doubt it, and those who pretend to doubt it have to offer videos of supposedly better bands, because their musicians played their instruments better , and with this, they show they don't have a jerking idea

----------
This is overrating, whoever says A band is the best band of the universe because I say so and whoever says the contrary is an idiot, is overrating that band.

Genesis is the bast band FOR ME, but if somebody says I like King Crimson or Yes more, it's their taste and I have to respect it

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 09 2017 at 15:40

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 13:12
Thanks for the Spanish lesson, Hank.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 13:33
^ I don't get the Hank reference, is that a Hanks' Adventures in Spanish reference? Hank Hill? Or urban slang?

^^ Precisely, Ivan.

Being a bit egotistical bringing this up, but I did a topic provocatively entitled something like "Are the Beatles Overrated?" some years ago, which was intended to explore notions of overratedness, and to me to make a case for the word not being bad per se, but rather abused. I scoured the web for examples where people made truth claims about the Beatles which were either false or lacked validity and objectivity. It was a struggle to get my points and intentions across.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>